PDA

View Full Version : Is 52 worth picking up?

ALOR
2007-12-27, 10:06 AM
I used to be an avid comic book colector but recently I've just decided to wait and buy the TPB as they come out. I was at my local comic book shop yesterday and noticed that the 52 TPB is out. To those who read this series is it worth it? I'm not a big DC fan to begin with, but the idea of the series intrested me. However I don't want to buy 3 or 4 TPB if the story was not that good.
Thanks in advance

Scorpina
2007-12-27, 07:54 PM
The story/stories is/are excellent, and all of the characters featured in 52 really, really shine. It's excellently written, excellently drawn and damn good all over.

...so yeah, I'd say it's worth picking up.

Foeofthelance
2007-12-27, 09:13 PM
I'll second that. I was picking it up week by week (probably more expensive, but meh) and was satisfied enough that I'm now picking up Countdown and all of its various tie-ins. Admittedly that's a bit of a pinch in the wallet, but meh. It's entirely worth it to see:

1) Steel kicking Lex Luthor's rear.
2) Black Adam's redemption and fall.
3) Booster Gold actually accomplishing something.
4) Ralph Dibny pull off the mother of Xanatos Roulettes.

Countdown has been equally amusing, what with:

1) Jimmy Olsen having whacked out powers.
2) New Gods getting axed left and right.
3) Karate Kid triggering the Great Crisis.
4) Mary Marvel smacking the crap out of everyone.
5) Trickster and Piper fleeing villains, heroes, and the government in general.
6) Kyle and Jason Todd bickering over Donna Troy
7) A Monitor named Bob.

Admittedly, 52 has a little more coherency, mostly because it wasn't juggling as many plots. It still had great moments, such as Booster Gold popping up mid-WWIII to steal a missile from Steel while claiming, "It wasn't going to work anyway!" And of course, the villian of all villians...

So yeah, pick 'em both up.

North
2007-12-28, 03:24 AM
52 was interesting. Countdowns been kind of annoying though.

52/countdown are both good to read if you want to stay current with the DC shenanigans.

gatitcz
2007-12-28, 03:28 AM
Footofthelance, maybe you should put some spoiler warnings? For #3 especially. I know it's a couple years old, but if the OP is asking for a recommendation, s/he hasn't read it.

Anyway, 52 was good. Countdown isn't as good, but still worth reading if you are into DC.

ALOR
2007-12-28, 09:14 AM
What about for someone who isn't up with DC continuity. Would they be able to enjoy 52? Basicly, I only have vague knowledge of what goes on in the DC univerese. I know most of the characters but not like I know marvel characters. Will I still be able to enjoy 52 without having extensive DC knowledge? Is there another TPB I should pick up before i pick up 52?

UglyPanda
2007-12-28, 12:48 PM
Identity Crisis is good to pick up, even if you don't plan on reading 52. Otherwise, the story is fairly self-contained.
The only stuff you need to know going into reading that series is that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are all on vacation and that the Teen Titans had a massively shifting roster during 52.
Word of warning, if you decide to buy the Trade Paperbacks, the commentary pages between issues contain a fair amount of spoilers.

North
2007-12-28, 02:38 PM
Actually 52 is good if you are a big dc continuity fan or a complete newb. It helps fill in a lot of the blanks. Theres lots of exposition. And in countdown and I think 52 the last couple pages have a bio featuring different heroes and villains.

Scorpina
2007-12-28, 02:42 PM
What about for someone who isn't up with DC continuity. Would they be able to enjoy 52? Basicly, I only have vague knowledge of what goes on in the DC univerese. I know most of the characters but not like I know marvel characters. Will I still be able to enjoy 52 without having extensive DC knowledge? Is there another TPB I should pick up before i pick up 52?

I recommended 52 to a friend of mine who previously hadn't ready any DC comics, and he really liked it. So, yeah, it's possible to enjoy it without knowing all the DC trivia. I expect you miss out on a few subtle things here and there, but it's written with people who aren't familiar with it's main characters in mind (since catering exclusively to people who are extensively familiar with Booster Gold and Renee Montoya isn't a good way to make money...)

ALOR
2007-12-28, 02:45 PM
how many volumes is 52 I think I've seen at least 2.

Scorpina
2007-12-28, 02:48 PM
In trade paperback, Four Volumes.

...in the original print run, guess. :smallbiggrin:

ALOR
2007-12-28, 03:00 PM
In trade paperback, Four Volumes.

...in the original print run, guess. :smallbiggrin:

hmmmmm......... 53???? :smallbiggrin:

Well you all have convinced me to buy 52 at some point soon, thanks for all the feedback.

T.Titan
2007-12-29, 01:09 PM
short Answer: Yes

long Answer: Heck Yes.

W Herzog Zwei
2007-12-30, 11:31 AM
short Answer: Yes

long Answer: Heck Yes.

This.

Countdown on the other hand... Short answer: no. Long answer: never.

Elliot Kane
2008-01-25, 06:09 PM
Definitely yes, IMO. I loved it :)