PDA

View Full Version : Creating a sneaky undead hunter?

Lolzords
2007-12-27, 10:25 AM
My task is to create a sneaky character (ECL 20) who specializes in undead hunting. I'm aiming for a guy who darts in, sneaks about, smacks the undead and sneaks off.

+0 level adjustment would be preferred, but anything under +5 would be fine.

Avaliable to me is: Core books, Complete Warrior, Complete Champion, Complete Scoundrel plus anything on the internet.

Cheers.

Adumbration
2007-12-27, 10:37 AM
Hmm. A tough one. It's generally tough to beat undead with a rogueish guy, mainly becouse SA doesn't work on them. Not sure this helps, but on this thread they listed various SA feats and boosts.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66915

cupkeyk
2007-12-27, 10:37 AM
Ask if you can add the Miniatures handbook to your list of available books. Skullclan hunter is there. Or even Spell compendium for Gravestrike....

Otherwise your best bet would be a scout/ranger with swift hunter and favored enemy(undead), you can now apply skirmish damage to undead.

Lolzords
2007-12-27, 10:45 AM
Ask if you can add the Miniatures handbook to your list of available books. Skullclan hunter is there. Or even Spell compendium for Gravestrike....

Otherwise your best bet would be a scout/ranger with swift hunter and favored enemy(undead), you can now apply skirmish damage to undead.

Sorry, I didn't mean those are the books that I'm allowed to use, I mean those are the books I have ascess to.

cupkeyk
2007-12-27, 10:50 AM
Well, there is always Crystalkeep for both scout and skullclan hunter

Nero24200
2007-12-27, 11:24 AM
With just the books your've listed, I'd say your best bet is possibly a cleric of a sneaky god/rogue, take the spell Grave Strike. This should allow you to SA undead.

Moogle0119
2007-12-27, 11:39 AM
There's a prestige class in the Complete Adventurer called Shadowbane Stalker, it's a cleric/rogue prestige class that has nearly full spellcasting progression and fairly decent sneak attack progression. You can burn spell slots to gain bonuses to move silently/hide checks and I think you can sneak attack undead from the prestige class as well at some point.

cupkeyk
2007-12-27, 11:50 AM
Scout is somewhere here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf
its from CAdv

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-27, 12:53 PM
Best I can tell you is favored enemy undead and go for ranger with a two weapon build. If some stuff lets you sneak attack undead, then it is a great way to go, but rangers are pretty sneaky, have more HP, can dish out more base damage (aside form sneak attack), and can hide just as well.

As far as sneaking to undead, invisibility to undead is a very cheap spell and would be simple to custom into an item for 'at will' effect, or triggered some way. That way you could wander around without worrying too much about the dead, just pay attention to the living that might be controlling them.

The rest is all about your gear and protections...holy weapons, undead bane, disruption, negative energy protection, increased saves (for fear and other bad effects), anything that can increase your touch AC, ghost touch (important for all those incoporeal undead)

The AC on most undead is fairly low for the 'typical' undead like skeletons, zombies, wights...not much better for vampires and such, so 2wf is probably ok if you have good bonuses...hence the bane and favored enemy. I say just go to town like that. Maybe a PrC that helps with that some.

Wordmiser
2007-12-27, 12:55 PM
Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric X with the Able Learner feat and Razing Strike? Maybe take Shadowbane Stalker if you really want to enmphasize the character's stealth.

Keld Denar
2007-12-27, 01:26 PM
Its not in the listed books, but a Greater Truedeath Crystal from MIC plugs into a +3 or greater weapon and allows sneak attack and crits vs undead. Its also grants Ghost Touch and an extra d6 of untyped damage vs undead. The low low price of 10k gold is pennies to a level 20 character.

Build whatever badass sneak attacking character you want (rogue3/swash17 with Daring Outlaw is a good start), slap on one or two of these puppies, and go to town!

Shraik
2007-12-27, 01:27 PM
I would not suggest Zombie.... Its hard to sneak when your walking around limping going "Urlllg....."

CactusAir
2007-12-27, 04:20 PM
Hmm. A tough one. It's generally tough to beat undead with a rogueish guy, mainly becouse SA doesn't work on them.

The Gravestrike spell says otherwise.

As does the Penatrating strike ACF from dungeonscape.

Factotum1/Illusionist3/Master Illusionist1/Unseen Seer8/MS+6/Divine Oracle1

Coat the entire dungeon with illusions and then gravestrike every undead into oblivion with your 11d6 SA.

brant167
2007-12-27, 09:39 PM
There is also the varient in dungeon scape wherein at level 3 instead of trapfinding your sneak attacks do half damage to creatures that are would be immune.
I would also suggest get a item that has invisibility to undead always active on it. Grab the feat from phb2 that gives you bonuses when your fighting while being invisible.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-28, 02:44 AM
There is also the varient in dungeon scape wherein at level 3 instead of trapfinding your sneak attacks do half damage to creatures that are would be immune. Hold on there. Penetrating Strike has you give up trap sense, not trapfinding. Without trapfinding a Rogue cannot ever locate or disable magical traps. Without trap sense the Rogue just loses an AC bonus vs. traps that go off unexpectedly.

There's a huge difference between the two.