PDA

View Full Version : Uncertainties, like Inevitables, but chaotic (Monster)

TheLogman
2007-12-27, 01:57 PM
"Uncertainties, as far as I can figure, they're like a variable. Never the same, could be anything. I've met Uncertainties that were positive, negative, and neither. Only thing that's definite about them? Inevitables hate them."-Alteric, Planar Explorer

There are three types of Uncertainties, Hopefuls, Maybes, and Hopefully Nots. The type that an Uncertainty is depends on its alignment (CG, CN or CE), and what type it is determines its powers, actions, and relative personality. To the Inevitables, the Uncertanties represent the variables of chaos that throw off the other-wise perfect equation of the Multi-verse, and because of it, Inevitables will attack an Uncertainty on sight, unless specifically told not to by a superior or in its programming.

Uncertainty
{table] Statistics | Hopefully | Maybe | Hopefully Not
Size/Type | Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Chaotic, Good) | Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Chaotic) | Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Chaotic, Evil
Hit Dice | 10d8+16 (60 hp) | 10d8+8 (52 hp) | 10d8+32 (76 hp)
Initiative | +4 | +3 | +3
Speed | 40 ft. | 40 ft. | 20 ft.
Armor Class| 18 (+4 armor, +4 Dex) | 13 (+3 Dex) | +20 (+2 Full Plate)
Base Attack/Grapple |+10/+14 |+10/+10 |+10/+15
Attack| +3 Brilliant Energy Rapier +15 melee (1d6+6) | +2 Chaotic Dagger +10 melee (1d4+2) | +2 Evil Greataxe +15 Melee (1d12+7)
Full Attack| +3 Brilliant Energy Rapier +15 melee (1d6+5) | +2 Chaotic Dagger +10 melee (1d4+2) | +2 Evil Greataxe +15 Melee (1d12+7)
Space/Reach| 5 ft./5 ft. | 5 ft./5 ft. | 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks| Spell-like abilities | Spell-like abilities | Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities| Damage reduction 10/lawful, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, low-light vision, spell resistance 20 | Damage reduction 10/lawful, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, low-light vision, spell resistance 20 | Damage reduction 10/lawful, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, low-light vision, spell resistance 20
Saves| Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +8 | Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +13 | Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities| Str 18, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 18 | Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 14 | Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills| Diplomacy +16, Search +7, Sense Motive +10 | +16 Knowledge (Planes), +20 Spellcraft, +17 Search, +15 Escape Artist, +15 Spot, +15 Knowledge (Arcane) | +9 Jump, +8 Swim, +2 Knowledge (Religion)
Feats| Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse| Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Iron Will, Spell Focus (Abjuration, Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration) | Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Sunder
Environment| Limbo or Material Plane | Limbo or Material Plane | Limbo or Material Plane
Organization| Solitary | Solitary | Solitary or Hopefully Not plus 2d6 Zombies
Challenge Rating| 8 | 8 | 8
Treasure| Standard | Standard | Standard
Alignment| Always Chaotic Good | Always Chaotic Neutral | Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement| By character class | By character class | By character class
Level Adjustment| - | - | -
[/table]

Weapons and Armor wielded by Uncertainties disappear once they leave the grasp of the Uncertainty and can be re-summoned as a free action.

Hopefuls
Protectors of the Free Spirit, Hopefuls are outsiders, specifically the embodiment of good luck, freedom, and friendly cooperation. A Hopeful appears to be an individual traveler who will join a Good group if the cause seems great enough. When a Hopeful appears on the Material plane or in a pocket of stabilized Limbo, it takes the form of a Chaotic Good individual, often a Bard, Cleric, or in some cases Rogue.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will: Detect Law, Detect Evil, Cure Moderate Wounds, Heroism. Once per day: Freedom of Movement, Cure Serious Wounds Caster Level 15.

Maybes
Roamers looking for a good time, Maybes are outsiders, specifically the embodiment of pure luck, chance, and travel. A Maybe appears to be a robed but intelligent stranger, the kind you meet on a road. A Maybe will rarely fight for any cause, it just travels. If a Maybe ever encounters a cause that it deems will make it more powerful or intelligent, it may pursue it, but it never stays with any group for very long.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will: Detect Chaos, Dispel Law, Fireball, Dispel Magic, Lightening Bolt. Once per day: Word of Chaos, Freedom of Movement, Magic Circle against Law, Disintegrate, Flame Strike Caster Level 15

Hopefully Nots
Evil cruel monsters, Hopefully nots are outsiders, specifically the embodiment of cruelty, bad luck, and destruction. A Hopefully Not appears to be a Barbarian or maybe Sorcerer with smatters of blood on their face. The Hopefully not is cruel, evil, and destructive. It will never cooperate with anything other than the undead it creates, and will kill and attempt to reanimate anything it sees. If given time, a Hopefully not will slaughter entire towns and then reanimate them to destroy entire kingdoms.

Spell-like abilities: At will: Control Undead, Animate Undead, Dispel Good, Dispel Law, Shatter Once per day: Create Undead Caster Level 15

AKA_Bait
2007-12-27, 02:05 PM
I like it. I'd probably take away the Hopefully Not's Create Undead Ability. At will that's a bit too powerful. 1/x day maybe with Animate Dead at will would be better.

TheLogman
2007-12-27, 02:15 PM
Oh jeez you're right. Thanks, fixed.

PhallicWarrior
2007-12-29, 11:55 AM
I'm curious, why does the Maybe have the power to cast magic circle against Chaos? Shouldn't it be against law?

Danu
2007-12-29, 03:05 PM
At first I was kind of thrown off by the idea of your uncertainties, but on further speculation I find it rather appealing. I need to actually glance over the stats, but what I've seen of the flavor I like.

If you could add a little more to each creature, that would be wonderful. Especially for the Hopefully Not, which doesn't have the same amount of flavor text as the other two Uncertainties.

Now, the question is... will an Inevitable simply be annoyed by the presence of a Uncertainty, or will they actually attempt to attack one on sight, even if that's contrary to it's orders?

TheLogman
2007-12-29, 07:31 PM
Added more Flavor text, fixed the Magic Circle thing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-29, 08:22 PM
The Maybe is shown as wielding a Lawful dagger. Considering it is Chaotic in nature, it would constantly having a negative level applied to it.

Are you thinking of a Chaotic dagger?

TheLogman
2007-12-29, 09:22 PM
Ya, I did, Fixed