PDA

View Full Version : Playing theater, in character

Freelance Henchman
2007-12-27, 09:30 PM
Have you ever been in a situation where your characters had to perform a (short) theatrical number in-game? What was the play (or humorous sketch possibly) scene, and how did you pull it off? Obviously Bards will do this best, but what if the none-too-bright half-orc barbarian and the cold analytical wizard have to participate?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-27, 09:39 PM
Those are amazing. They always turn out to be memorable, somehow. I remember one in which we acquired a theater, and for the opening night, had to invent a script, which we actually did create (and half of the party, which is in an acting troupe in RL, performed it, with less stunts). Then, just as we performed (And with the DM rolling, suspiciously rolled full 20's for our complex perform checks 'till it was time for action), all hell broke loose, with a succubus assasin taking the spot of the main character's (A swordsage) lover, lots of real fighting going around, and the factotum rolling a 74 for his Perform (String instruments) check to play the closing song. It's still fondly remembered as one of our best sessions.

Freelance Henchman
2007-12-27, 09:40 PM
I remember one in which we acquired a theater, and for the opening night, had to invent a script, which we actually did create

What was it, roughly?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-27, 09:50 PM
If I remember correctly, it was based around the main character living simultaneously in three places at a time, with somewhat different personalities, so he essentially existed thrice. All of them reached really high on the ranks of their lands, and lived happy lives, but when their countries went to war and they found out about their other versions, they obsessively try to destroy each other, slowly losing touch with their loved ones and reality. In a key battle, they all duke it out, until the sacrifice of one of the versions friend decides them to join into a single personality. Born again as a new man, the character then attempts to fix everything that has gone wrong because of the rivalry, ending with him leaving to try to build a new life in a far away land.

Freelance Henchman
2007-12-27, 09:52 PM
Thanks, that's a great story.

Snadgeros
2007-12-27, 09:58 PM
No, but I have played Final Fantasy VI many, many times. The opera scene is just.....wow.

Oh my hero.....