PDA

View Full Version : Survival Advice for D&D Characters

Saph
2007-12-27, 10:11 PM
About half of these are serious, the other half aren't. Post your own, of either type. :)

1. Have a defence in depth. For the typical monster to injure you, it has to locate your square, then target you, then get through concealment, then beat your AC, then beat your DR, then get through your HP. Try to have as many defensive 'layers' as possible, so that the monster has to succeed at a lot of rolls to get you. This way, by the time an attack finally gets through, you'll have had the chance to do something about it.

2. Don't open coffins. Only stupid people open coffins.

3. Look into spells, items, and abilities that are immediate actions (meaning they can be done on someone else's turn) and which either prevent/heal damage or stop attacks landing in the first place. Close Wounds from the Spell Compendium is a lifesaver for clerics, and the Amulet of Emergency Healing from the Magic Item Compendium lets any class do the same thing for 6,000 gold. I made one for my wizard in our long-running Forgotten Realms campaign, and I think it prevented something like 11-12 PC deaths over as many sessions.

4. Every vehicle the PCs get onto will crash. Every aircaft they get onto will fall out of the sky. Every ship they get onto will sink (or be attacked by pirates, or both at once). So make sure you have the relevant piece of kit before you get on board. (If your DM wants you to ride in a flying amphibious train on a floating city above a lake of lava, you are just screwed.)

5. Do not stand and trade full attacks with any monster that has more than four limbs. This goes double for dragons.

6. Any NPC who has a name is important, so be nice to them. Any NPC who the GM had to stop and think of a name for isn't important, so treat them however you want. Any NPC referred to with a possessive (e.g. 'the merchant's guard') is totally irrelevant.

7. If you're a skillmonkey, don't assume that having Disable Device on your class list means that you have to use it. At low levels your chances of a successful disarm are so low that you're usually better off trying to set it off with spells, a 10-foot pole, or a 'mine detector' (summoned monsters work great for this). If nothing else, the barbarian probably has a better chance walking through the trap than you do of trying to disable it.

8. Never comment that the DM's plot is obviously ripped off from Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, or Neverwinter Nights. (At least not where he can hear.)

9. Surrender is an option. Don't assume that every battle has to end with either your death or the death of the enemy. Prison breaks and escapes are a staple of stories. If nothing else, holding up your hands and backing away can at least get you into a slightly less dangerous tactical position.

10. When you are sent into a dungeon made of mithral and adamantine with permanent magical effects cast over it, do not try to dismantle the dungeon and sell it. WBL will bite you in the butt. Even if all that stuff is worth millions of GP and it's completely in-character.

11. If you're a spellcaster, get a wand or item of detect magic and cast it on anything that looks suspicious and/or dangerous. It's cheap and often more reliable than a Search check.

12. Avoid cute little children at all costs. Half of the time they're polymorphed dragons, avatars of gods, or unholy undead monsters. The other half of the time they're completely ordinary, but will immediately be kidnapped and you'll be forced to rescue them. Trying to avoid them won't do anything to stop this, but at least it'll speed up the inevitable.

13. Never assume that just because you know a monster's name, that its stats will match with what's in the Monster Manual. DMs just love throwing on spells, templates, and extra abilities or hit dice.

14. Being a wizard does not make you Batman. Being a cleric or druid does not make you CoDzilla. The problem with Vancian casters is that they're much weaker when they're surprised or caught off guard. Since the encounters where you're surprised or caught off guard are usually the most dangerous ones anyway, this means you're at your weakest in the most dangerous battles. Assume that your character's vulnerable and that there are much stronger things out there than you, and you'll last a lot longer. As a converse, do not assume as a fighter-type that having lots of HP makes you a tank. Most of the worst things you can be hit with either ignore HP or do so much damage that it doesn't matter what your hit die is.

15. Every problem in the world can be solved by finding the right BBEG and beating the crap out of him. As such, don't waste your time on things like diplomacy, politics, or making allies, as this is a distraction from the main business of killing your way to the BBEG. (Once you've got there, however, you'll still have to listen to him talk for a while. The talking never accomplishes anything, but at least you can use the time to cast buff spells.)

Add your own!

- Saph

13_CBS
2007-12-27, 10:20 PM
16. Flying is probably the #1 survival tool. Keep to the air whenever you can. This is especially useful when your warlock is the only fellow with Fly and the rest of your party is getting swarmed by zombies...

16a. Don't forget that, unless the spell prevents you from doing so, you can rescue teammates while flying. Helicopter rescue!

17. Stay together. Try as much as possible to position yourselves (especially your meatshields) so that there is as little flanking spots as possible.

18. Come up with creative uses for spells! Create some water at your opponents' feet to make them slip! Interrogate enemies with food made foul-tasting by prestidigitation!

19. Remember: 1 oz of prevention is one pound of cure. Prevent your enemies from even being able to attack you.

20. Divvy up the healing! That way, your party isn't screwed when the cleric dies and the Paladin has run out of Lay on Hands.

21. Learn your vocabulary! A gazebo is NOT a monster!
21a. Unless said gazebo is actually a golem in disguise.

The Faceless
2007-12-27, 10:27 PM
Buy as much mundane equipment as possible. You'd be surprised how much use you can get out of a roll of barbed wire. If you aren't carrying at least 50% of chapter 2 in the arms and equipment guide, you aren't doing it right.

Keep every magic item you can, even the "useless" or cursed ones. Find creative uses for them: a bag of devouring on the end of a pole makes a fine weapon in a pinch.

Mechanics may not be very negotiable, but flavor certainly is. Try negotiating to play a wizard with a intricately carved series of sticks as his spellbook, a barbarian who's a street thug, or a cleric who's deity grants metafictional awareness to his followers (madness domain).

Fire may not always be the right solution, but it enough of it generally makes the problem cease to be a problem.

Things can always get worse. Always.

Kiirseva
2007-12-27, 10:30 PM
(I didn't see #12., this is really just an addendum)

Never trust children:
a. to be safe by themselves
b. if they are mute from traumatic events
c. if they are magic-users
d. if they are ghosts

P.s. these rules go double IRL

CactusAir
2007-12-27, 10:42 PM
-Know your DM's habits and tendencies. [Any player in a Game I DM had better have brough flint and a bedroll or he's going to be making (quite likely untrained) skill checks just to light a fire or get a night's sleep.]

-for that matter, ALWAYS bring along Flint, a Bedroll, a Waterskin, and a few trail rations. ALWAYS.

-5 ranks in balance, even if cross class, can save your life. Same goes for Tumble.

-Trying to trick your DM into letting you make a innoculous seeming but actually brokenly powerful build is NOT a good idea. (Personally I encourage my players to make powefull builds, it means I get to throw those Swarmfighting Kobold Martial Adepts at them that much sooner. I just want them to warn me about what they intend to build ahead of time.)

-At low levels, rogues may well be better off setting razor wire across the hall than attacking with their pidly little rapiers.

-If you've got a [sonic] spell, you may get more mileage out of blasting the scenery than blasting the enemy directly. Check the rules for objects falling on an enemy. Or ask the DM about shrapnel damage.

-Arcane Trickster is obsolete. If your DM allows Unseen Seer, for the love of Pelor, play that instead.

TheOOB
2007-12-27, 10:45 PM
#26 Everyone is responsible for carrying their own potion of cure light wounds in a pre agreed upon location, that way when your knocked to negative HP and are dieing, anyone, even the party rouge, can grab the potions and stabilize you.

#27 Get your saving throws and touch AC as high as possible, getting hit by an attack only deals damage(usually), getting hit by a spell can easily kill you in a single hit(or at least make you useless to your party).

#28 Most creatures know their own weaknesses and try to protect against them. That white dragon probably has protection from energy as one of it's spells known, so don't assume you can exploit it's fire weakness for an easy win.

#29 Once it becomes affordable, carrying around an item that casts dimension door (and later teleport), teleportation is the best way to escape from a dangerous situation, and is annoying difficult to stop, for that matter it's a good idea to cast dimensional anchor on the BBEG so he can't escape and kill you again another day.

LibraryOgre
2007-12-28, 12:09 AM
6. Any NPC who has a name is important, so be nice to them. Any NPC who the GM had to stop and think of a name for isn't important, so treat them however you want. Any NPC referred to with a possessive (e.g. 'the merchant's guard') is totally irrelevant.

This is probably the best advice I've seen.

9. Surrender is an option. Don't assume that every battle has to end with either your death or the death of the enemy. Prison breaks and escapes are a staple of stories. If nothing else, holding up your hands and backing away can at least get you into a slightly less dangerous tactical position.

Far too frequently forgotten.

11. If you're a spellcaster, get a wand or item of detect magic and cast it on anything that looks suspicious and/or dangerous. It's cheap and often more reliable than a Search check.

Glasses of Reading and Detecting Magic. One of the most useful investments you can make... once you have a 3rd level caster, it can be bought for 1750gp (if your DM considers them similar enchantments; 2000gp if they're not). Use activated (putting on the glasses) use of both spells.

15. Every problem in the world can be solved by finding the right BBEG and beating the crap out of him. As such, don't waste your time on things like diplomacy, politics, or making allies, as this is a distraction from the main business of killing your way to the BBEG. (Once you've got there, however, you'll still have to listen to him talk for a while. The talking never accomplishes anything, but at least you can use the time to cast buff spells.)

Ironically, my last campaign ended because the characters exposed the cult that had infiltrated all of the high churches, severely undercutting the support the former high priest had, leaving him severely underpowered (and aware of that fact).

Gralamin
2007-12-28, 12:49 AM
#28 A) Or worse, that White Dragon might of taken the Overcome Weakness feat tree.

Yami
2007-12-28, 12:54 AM
22: Never pet a burning dog.

23: Put ranks in all the knowledges pertaining to monster types. That way when you fail a knowledge (WTH is that?!) check you know to run.

24: Remeber to run. Some times clearing out that dungeon isn't worth the party wipe.

25: Always carry a backup character to the session.

an kobold
2007-12-28, 02:45 AM
-If the DM has a significant other playing, for the love of god, do not flirt with them, in or out of character.

-Never seriously say within earshot of the DM, "This is too easy."

-Never say "This is too easy," period.

-Ignore mysterious old men in taverns offering gold for fool's errands. Most likely, they will betray you, ask for more, or buy you a round of drinks when all the glasses are dirty.

-Should you accept an offer from such an old man and follow a code of ethics, do not investigate the source of the old man's gold. You will have to decline his offer every time.

-Do not fight the barkeeper.

-If one of your friends tries to fight the barkeeper, leave them to their fate, code of ethics be damned.

-If offered the choice between a shiny and the cleric's friendship, always choose the latter.

-If offered the choice between fighting the cleric and running away, always choose the latter.

-"It's just a kobold" should never enter your mind, let alone pass your lips. If you have already uttered the cursed words, send a finger via the wizard's familiar to the local druid. He'll know what to do. Just in case, include a little note that says, "Tucker."

-Don't complain about how repetitive the warlock is with eldritch blast. If you do, try not to complain about how it hurts repetitively round after round of eldritch blast in your face.

Talic
2007-12-28, 04:02 AM
Never split up! Rest assured that the words "You two check that room, I'll guard the hall" is really code for "DM, send a vampire to Dominate me."

Don't just search the door for traps. Walls, floors, ceilings, and occasionally, the book on the desk will be trapped.

Don't look behind the DM screen. DM's hate when a player tries to see if he's fudging die rolls and the like, and DM's have been known to throw Grudge Monsters in for this offense. (Grudge monster = monster 1-2 CR's above the party, and also chosen to exploit a party weakness)

If a PC tries diplomacy, he's trying to cheese a fight. If an NPC tries diplomacy, it's because his rogues aren't in position yet.

Lolzords
2007-12-28, 04:30 AM
41. A ring of feather fall is worth it for only 2500gp. I just wish :roy: realised that.

Talic
2007-12-28, 06:08 AM
22: Never pet a burning dog.

I see I'm not the only one who paid attention to the Warcraft 2 tips.

Kristoss
2007-12-28, 06:42 AM
When someone asks if your a god always say yes.
A diplomancer nearly cleared out an entire dungeon because of that.
They met a large group of monsters had character interaction, a diplomacy roll was made and the next thing you know they are being led to the leaders room. Of course the leader wasn't so gelable.

Cuddly
2007-12-28, 06:52 AM
Fire usually makes it better.

Leon
2007-12-28, 07:01 AM
Glasses of Reading and Detecting Magic. One of the most useful investments you can make... once you have a 3rd level caster, it can be bought for 1750gp (if your DM considers them similar enchantments; 2000gp if they're not). Use activated (putting on the glasses) use of both spells.

Minus the reading part my cleric picked some up out of random loot - they have been great.

Now for the advice

- Just because its there doesnt mean you have to attack it (Ex: Level 4 Monk & Sorcerer Vs Dire Boar = 2 Dead PCs)

- Sometimes the DM will roll out in full view, sometimes you wish they didnt

- Dont Gloat about High AC/saves/Whatever

- Carry a ranged weapon no matter what your class or proficancy

- Always have a backup weapon (Bonus Points for a type other than your main)

- Dont Mess with giant ants, they are MEAN

Learnedguy
2007-12-28, 09:14 AM
- If the DM ask "Are you sure?", you're never sure. Ever.

Telonius
2007-12-28, 09:18 AM
Statues are evil. All of them. I don't care if you're in the Holy Temple of Niceness and Puppies with Pope Goody McTwoshoes. If there's a statue, break it.

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 10:09 AM
- If the DM ask "Are you sure?", you're never sure. Ever.

QFT.

If the DM is sending you a hint... listen to it!!!

ALOR
2007-12-28, 10:59 AM
-If your DM says anything about doing an adventure called the "tomb of horrors." do not, I repeat do not, go in to any entrance you find ever. In fact have your character run away from the tomb as fast as they can. :smallbiggrin:

icthius
2007-12-28, 11:20 AM
Half of the items in the list make the game hard for a DM to make fun. I like to roleplay the character rather than follow survival rules, even if it means death. It's a game, have fun with it!

Zenos
2007-12-28, 11:27 AM
Don't start complaining when the dM sends Rust Monsters against you, it will only make the GM "Tarrasque" you. (I actualy DMed a game which ended because the PC's were terrified at fighting rust monsters even though the CR was far lower than their party level)
Ah, nouns as verbs.

KoDT69
2007-12-28, 11:31 AM
- Don't take body parts of monsters as trophies, I will have an enemy caster Resurrect them! I never thought about that until Fax's thread "They did what to my dragon armor?"

- Don't kill the helpless commoners, that's the DM's job!

- Don't make selfish wishes. Greed does not pay.

- Don't underestimate the NPC spellcasters. Their spellbook has whatever benefits them most at the time, and they prepared it!

- Don't insult other deities unless you are a cleric/favored soul/paladin of a deity already at war with them. It's not pretty to start new religious wars.

- Don't play a monk without the group's approval. Monks are annoying because they are always running off ahead abusing the speed, or not contributing where they should. Really, I houseruled all kinds of helpful stuff and they still suck, hard.

an kobold
2007-12-28, 11:31 AM
Half of the items in the list make the game hard for a DM to make fun. I like to roleplay the character rather than follow survival rules, even if it means death. It's a game, have fun with it!

I think your avatar would agree with you. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-12-28, 11:48 AM
- Do not annoy the DM.
- Kill Pointy Hat first.
- Offense>Defense. Your enemy can't hurt you when he's dead. (Most of the time).
- Identify the magic item before you try to use it.
- Be as far away from the Rogue as possible when he's disarming a trap.

CaffinatedAngst
2007-12-28, 12:04 PM
Do not think you have out smarted the DM.

If you here the words "Chuck Norris", you should just give up and go home. Apparently you pissed the DM off somehow.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-28, 01:11 PM
- If you're playing Call of Ctulhu, do not open the heavy leatherbound book. Don't say I didn't warn you.
- If you're playing Werewolf, anything that does not run away screaming and/or faint from seeing your battle form, is a very badass enemy.
- If you're playing Paranoia, reading this post is treason. Report to the nearest termination office.

13_CBS
2007-12-28, 01:24 PM
-
- If you're playing Paranoia, reading this post is treason. Report to the nearest termination office.

You don't have clearance for that, citizen.

Baxbart
2007-12-28, 01:49 PM

My party druid tries to surrender in every fight.... nobody takes him seriously any more.

Scratch that... its not every fight, its every round!

Parvum
2007-12-28, 02:32 PM
-Caltrops and stairs

-Poisoned caltrops and stairs.

-Oil, readied tindertwigs, poisoned caltrops and stairs.

-Enemies with little natural armor, an int penalty, oil, readied tindertwigs, poisoned caltrops and stairs.

-Someone who can speak the language

-Not-you scouts (if everyone enters, there will be a horrible trap. If they enter one at a time, they will be picked off. Even in broad daylight. Somehow.)

Halfling_Daniel
2007-12-28, 02:34 PM
Some number or other: No matter what class or level a character is, a single PC can't win any fight alone. This goes double for those in the vanguard scouting ahead. Thus, if the scout detects enemies, they shouldn't be attacked head-on at once if the rest of the party is too far away from the scout. Of course, the scout shouldn't be far away from the party in the first place.
Another number: If your party has a blaster in it, make sure he knows when to use his area spells and when not.

merrja666
2007-12-28, 02:48 PM
Dominate everyone you see.

Reanimate everything you have killed.

When going to the BBEG's castle, summon an Elemental Monolith using a scroll and run away. It is (relatively) cheap, and it spares you having to listen to plot/backstory.

Loot everything.

Detect Traps in every room you go into. Detect Person and Detect Monster for good measure as well. All DMs love invisible enemies.

John Campbell
2007-12-28, 04:14 PM
16. Flying is probably the #1 survival tool. Keep to the air whenever you can. This is especially useful when your warlock is the only fellow with Fly and the rest of your party is getting swarmed by zombies...

16a. Don't forget that, unless the spell prevents you from doing so, you can rescue teammates while flying. Helicopter rescue!
16b. Once you hit the mid-levels, a lot of enemies can fly, too. You'll want to be able to take the fight to them.

17. Stay together. Try as much as possible to position yourselves (especially your meatshields) so that there is as little flanking spots as possible.
In my group, we refer to this as "fireball formation". Depending on what you're fighting, it can be a good idea or it can be a very, very bad idea.

My just-recently-retired PC was a fighter/wizard AoE blaster in a party with a sorceress AoE blaster (we joked that she rolled initiative with 10d6), no sneak-attack types, and our primary tank couldn't benefit from flanking. We loved seeing enemies in tight formations.

Telonius
2007-12-28, 04:23 PM
- Don't split up the party. Ever. Under any circumstances.
- Really, don't split up the party.
- No, not even then.

Zenos
2007-12-28, 04:31 PM
When using the fly spell, make sure the DM isn't pissed off and puts in an anachronistic Flakvierling nearby. Or just sends in a Half-celestial Tarrasque.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-28, 04:35 PM
- Do not suggest that the encounter the entire party just survived was CR inappropriate.

- Death Ward, use it

- Protection from Evil, use it

- Get plot if you can. Boring though it may be, it often helps.

FlyMolo
2007-12-28, 05:27 PM
-Don't forget to hide the corpses.

-Or lock the doors when you're done.

-Make listen checks at every door. Seriously. Every door.

Leicontis
2007-12-28, 05:49 PM
-Do not, repeat, DO NOT assume that just because you're invisible and silent/flying, enemies won't notice you.

-Always have ways to remove any of the following conditions: Poison, paralysis, sleep, petrification, compulsion. I'd add stun, but apparently there's NO WAY in ALL of D&D to remove stun.

-Keep your character's core concept in mind at all times. Especially when hit by a Dominate effect...

3 years (OOG) after character creation, a rogue of mine was hit by a vampire's domination. This character (my first D&D char ever) was built around the original concept of "survivalist", as in "does whatever it takes to survive". Vamp orders him to kill ally, he complies and attacks (new party member, my char hadn't seen him fight much yet), then gets his second save when ally starts presenting a significant threat.

Shadowdweller
2007-12-28, 06:04 PM
Statues are evil. All of them. I don't care if you're in the Holy Temple of Niceness and Puppies with Pope Goody McTwoshoes. If there's a statue, break it.A better iteration of this is probably: Assume that every statue which occurs in countable numbers is either a trap or monster.

(Occasional exceptions occur where clusters thereof are trying to shield their eyes. But better safe than sorry)

mostlyharmful
2007-12-28, 06:10 PM
- If your party gets into a random barfight for no reason it is NOT your responsability to leap in and help them. Doubly so if they pull leathel weapons first.

- Back-up caches of weapons and basic spellbooks, holy symbols or whatever your PC really needs is always a good plan.

- Always watch the exits

- Never let someone get between you and the exits

- When it's your fault appologize and back down.

- When in doubt set something on fire

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-28, 06:16 PM
If you're not going to prepare any spells today, do. Prepare them all on explosive runes, and write them on a piece of paper.

Balkash
2007-12-28, 06:38 PM
- Never leave town with gold. I dont care that two copper can't possibly buy you anything but an STD, BUY IT! It'll help one day, one time.

- If you have a backstory that involves rescueing someone or a family back home, DONT EVER TELL IT TO ANYONE. THEY WILL BE HELD HOSTAGE, THEY WILL DIE, YOU WILL BE DOCKED XP WHEN YOU DONT ACT IN CHARACTER AND CRY ABOUT IT!

Sebastian
2007-12-28, 06:40 PM
Invest as much of your gold as you can in diamonds, they are easier to carry around and if you ever need a raise dead/resurrection they are already there. Plus, they should count as Trade Good and should not suffer from the 50% discount of.. well, almost everything else.

marjan
2007-12-28, 06:47 PM
- Never make your DM wear raindeer horns just because New Year is coming up or you'll get a dragon as a New Year's present.

- Never leave your money in a bank.

LibraryOgre
2007-12-28, 07:34 PM
- Never leave town with gold. I dont care that two copper can't possibly buy you anything but an STD, BUY IT! It'll help one day, one time.

Say WHAT?

Balkash
2007-12-28, 10:04 PM
Say WHAT?

I can explain. It could be a rather long post, but I'll just keep it short. It pretty much all started out from the "What I am not allowed to do while gaming" post. One of them was, Perform (striptease). Well, while I was DMing for my group, after about five hours of play, the PC's finally got back to a village. This village was the last stop before heading towards an evil, fanatic cult. One of my players (It was actually the cleric, not the bard) decided to go find a girl down at the tavern. I figured I'd play some whole side quest, cheated husband thing, until the cleric said he'd Perform (striptease). I told him that he would have to pay some girl to sleep with him, because he was so disgusting. Well, it turns out he had two copper. I, well I allowed it. Well, some time later, three days actually, the group was nearing the cult, when the cleric came down with herpes. ya... I figured that would end all the naughty business, but NO! The cleric volunteered to pretend to be a member and go into the cult. I had no idea why. Over the course of the next week, he magic'd his way into a few girls pants and spread is little "gift of joy". He then stated that from his gather information checks, he realized this was not a well founded cult, and that they must reproduce to increase their numbers. Well he slept with about seven women, so therefore, when they were passed around, all of the members would get herpes. I... I was kinda shocked, but when everyone else actually agreed, I figured I could homebrew the effects of herpes. Most of the cult ended up with swollen privates, depression, and were constantly fatigued. So... ya... thats what two copper get you: a much less effective, scary cult.

Chronicled
2008-01-01, 07:56 AM
Most of the advice listed on this thread (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=225090) (not all of it - for instance, I think most of us here know the VoP monk idea doesn't work).

Ideas of note:

"Kill their cleric first. Conversely, protect yours."
"At high levels, your most valuable resources are neither hps (which can be regained easily), nor spells (you have so many that you cannot run out in a typical fight which will last 5 to 10 rounds max). Actions are your most limited and valuable resource. Do something useful with your whole round. Do as many preperatory actions as you can before combat so you don't have to waste time with them while fighting. When in doubt, act, don't waffle."
"THINK SHORT-TERM. Those charged and one-shot magic items you have are there to be used, not hoarded. The only charge or one-shot item that is truly wasted is the one that is left behind when the bad guys kill you, because now they have it. If you're going to go out, leave them nothing but a bunch of burned-out wands and empty potion bottles. And for every time you use a charge or an item and it doesn't make the difference between life and death, there will be at least one time when it will make the difference."

Also, Murphy's Laws of Combat (http://www.swcp.com/~russo/laws-o-combat.html) are applicable in many, many D&D situations. They're worth a read anyways for the humor value.

Gardakan
2008-01-01, 03:43 PM
-If you can carry a bag of holding at anytime. If your DM said count your total carrying pound, put the maximum thing in it.

-Respect barbarian.

-It's not a joke, they deal more damage than you can trust. An half-orc barbarian level 1... deal 2d6+10