PDA

View Full Version : Need character to play

Raroy
2007-12-27, 11:15 PM
Can someone make me an ECL 10 human ranger that uses bows? Nothing to fancy, I would love it.

Edit: Use the stats 13 16 13 13 11 10

Is this the wrong board?

Methabroax
2007-12-27, 11:25 PM
I just asked this same question a bit ago and got directed to the 'swift hunter' build, a level 5 scout/level 5 ranger build.

With Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish, you'd get 4d6 extra damage on any round you move at least 20' and +4 ac

scout 1st Point blank shot
scout 1st Precise shot
scout 2nd
scout 3rd Swift Hunter, 1d6 skirmish damage
scout 4th Dodge
Scout 5th Evasion, 2d6 skirmish damage
Ranger 6th 1st favored enemy, 2nd favored enemy, Track, Wild Empathy, Improved Skirmish
Ranger 7th Rapid Shot
Ranger 8th Endurance
Ranger 9th Animal Companion (plus another feat)
Ranger 10th 3rd favored enemy

sure you'd only get one shot a round but it's a full BaB and hits like a truck.

Also, you get evasion which is always handy

Raroy
2007-12-27, 11:27 PM
That sounds kinda cheesy. Maybe a full ranger build would do.

Ashes
2007-12-27, 11:28 PM
How is simple multiclassing cheesy?

Methabroax
2007-12-27, 11:32 PM
It didnt sound cheesy to me, it sounded like a guy that ran swiftly thru the woods and plunked the bad guys in the head with one precise shot instead of volleying quivers full of arrows at them.

Raroy
2007-12-27, 11:32 PM
It's kinda gimmicky. It also has a strange feel to it.

Thinker
2007-12-27, 11:33 PM
How is simple multiclassing cheesy?

If anything does something better than a single base-class its obviously cheesy :smalltongue:

Methabroax
2007-12-27, 11:34 PM
I'm working on a druid combat monster, thinking i'm going to end up with a character that turns into a bear and grapples monsters.

When the world is full of cheese, bring a sharp knife and wine.

BobTheDog
2007-12-28, 12:45 AM
Well, if Ranger/Scout won't work for you, how about a Ranger/Order of the Bow Initiate?

The end result is similar, but the "feel" is different.

Armads
2007-12-28, 01:06 AM
Well, if Ranger/Scout won't work for you, how about a Ranger/Order of the Bow Initiate?

The end result is similar, but the "feel" is different.

It's not similar. The Ranger/Scout shoots lots of arrows with bonus skirmish damage on each of them, but the Order of the Bow Initiate shoots a single arrow with bonus d8s. The ranger/scout does a lot more damage, since it gets off multiple arrows. The only advantage the OotBI has is it's close combat shot, but if you're forced to use it, it's quite sad.

Yami
2007-12-28, 01:19 AM
I'm curious. Do you want a straight ranger? If so it shouldn't be that hard, just take ten levels and choose the archery feats. Buy some gear from the SRD and go at it.

Do you want a mounted ranger with the mounted archery feat tree? Would you like to ride a unicorn? Also, are you sure you want a ranger? Might your character concept be built just as well as something else? How integral will the spellcasting and animal companion be?

If you want something specific you should give us more info. If your just looking for a vanilla ranger, it's easy enough to build yourself. But if you come asking for something powerful, beware the cheese.

Raroy
2007-12-28, 01:43 AM
I have decided to just go straight ranger. I wanted a powerful build that didn't look powerful. Just wanted to subtly be over powered.

Well thats enough of this thread.

Yami
2007-12-28, 01:50 AM
Glad to help.

#Raptor
2007-12-28, 10:53 AM
Not to bother you anymore, but perhaps you've been looking for something like this.
A very simple and rather classic straight Ranger build, I think.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=5685263&postcount=61

Lolzords
2007-12-28, 07:31 PM
I'm working on a druid combat monster, thinking i'm going to end up with a character that turns into a bear and grapples monsters.

When the world is full of cheese, bring a sharp knife and wine.

And crackers, but the scout/ranger sounds pretty good, I reckon you should just go for that.