PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Warm Thoughts [PrC]

Blue_C.
2007-12-27, 11:40 PM
COASTAL SUMMONER

Though the Beach Druids are as disorganized and indolent as countless of reports, some of them authored by my own hand, have informed you, I once again advise strongly against attempted conquest. Ten Thousand Beaches is paradise, but it is their paradise, and the land itself will aid them in their defense of it. There is a reason no dragon will put one claw on these islands. Think on that, the next time talk of war comes to you.
-Rector Alyssa Pisli, envoy to Ten Thousand Beaches, to General Seraphim Tor.

Coastal Summoners dwell in a archipelago known as Ten Thousand Beaches. A land of white sand beaches, small islands, cloudless skies, and crystal clear water, Ten Thousand Beaches has attracted countless of free thinkers and Paradise seekers over the generations. An order of druids, that was born right there on the islands, watches over Ten Thousand Beaches and its inhabitants. The Summoners are their greatest defenders, harnessing the very essence of what makes these islands unique in their spellcasting and wildshape abilities.

All Coastal Summoners have some levels in druid, and most are mid to high level druids, though a few have multiclassed as barbarians or rangers to aid their martial abilities.
Hit Die: d8.
Requirements
To qualify to become a coastal summoner, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Survival 18 ranks.
Feats: Beach Druid Initiate.
Spells: Able to cast 5th-level divine spells.
Special: Wildshape Class Feature

Class Skills
The coastal summoner’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

The Coastal Summoner
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Sunburn Elemental, Wildshape

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|White Sand Elemental

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Brine Elemental

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Clear Sky Elemental, Huge Size

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Elemental Swarm[/table]

Class Features

All the following are Class Features of the coastal summoner prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Coastal summoners gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Spells and Caster Level: Levels in the coastal summoner prestige class, even though they do not advance spell progression in the character’s base class, still stack with the character’s base spellcasting levels to determine caster level. This boost only applies to the divine spellcasting class that allowed sixth level spells to qualify for the class.
Wildshape: Levels in the Coastal Summoner class count as druid levels for the purpose of determining how long a character can remain in a wildshape form.
Sunburn Elemental Form (Su): All fire elementals summoned by a coastal summoner have a special attack: Sunburn (Su). As full round action, it can inflict 1d6/2 HD the elemental possesses nonlethal damage to a selected target. The target is also fatigued until the damage is cured. Creatures immune to fire or light effects take no damage. Creatures especially vulnerable to light effects take lethal damage. To affect a target, the sunburn elemental must succeed at a ranged touch attack. A coastal summoner also gains the ability to become a small, medium, or large sunburn elemental once per day. This ability functions exactly like the wildshape class feature, but does not count against the character's daily use of that ability.
White Sand Elemental Form (Su): At second level, all earth elementals summoned by a coastal summoner have the special quaility DR 10/blugeoning. She also gains the ability to become a small, medium, or large white sand elemental once per day. This ability functions exactly like the wildshape class feature, but does not count against the character's daily use of that ability.
Brine Elemental Form (Su): At third level, all water elementals summoned by a coastal summoner deal slashing damage as well as bludgeoning damage with their natural attacks, including vortex. They also gain Improved Critical (Slam) as a bonus feat (Elder Brine elementals select Improve Natural Attack (Slam) instead of this feat). A coastal summoner also gains the ability to become a small, medium, or large brine elemental once per day. This ability functions exactly like the wildshape class feature, but does not count against the character's daily use of that ability.
Clear Sky Elemental Form (Su): At fourth level, all air elementals summoned by a coastal summoner gains the naturally invisible extraordinary ability. She also gains the ability to become a small, medium, large, or huge clear sky elemental once per day. This ability functions exactly like the wildshape class feature, but does not count against the character's daily use of that ability.
Huge Size: At fourth level, a coastal summoner may become up to Huge sized when assuming Brine, White Sand, or Sunburn Elemental form.
Elemental Swarm (Sp): Once per day, a coastal summoner may cast Elemental Swarm as a spell-like ability, with her caster level equal to her druid caster level, except that she may select any combination of earth, fire water, and air elementals she pleases instead of summoning all of the same type. The casting time for this ability is still ten minutes, even though it is a spell-like ability. All elementals summoned have the improved abilities due the coastal summoner rank in the class.

Coastal Summoners in the Game
Coastal Summoners are tied to the loose organization known as the Beach Druids, who protect the sanctity of a certain set of islands known as Ten Thousand Beaches from infringement. To be honest, I imagined them as surfboard druids, always whining about the rights to beach access, but any druid culture in an area gifted with extensive beaches could develop along similiar lines. The Coastal Summoners are high level naturalists that take the philosophy a step further, and let the land defend itself through and with them. Coastal Summoners rely on their ability to wildshape into elemental forms in combat, gaining more uses per day than even the highest level druids. In trade, the highest level spells are lost to the Coastal Summoners, especially if they have taken levels in barbarian or ranger.

Due to the rather loose organization of the Beach Druids, if a character is interested in the abilities of the Coastal Summoner, one will probably sponsor that character when he or she meets the requirements to enter the prestige class. There aren't too many out in the world though, so it might take a while to even find someone who knows where one might meet a Coastal Summoner.

BEACH DRUID [INITIATE]
Prerequisite: Druid lvl 1st, non-lawful alignment, swim 4 ranks.
Benefit: You may always take ten on swim checks, even if distracted or endangered.
When summoning elementals, your caster level is increased by +1.

Lochar
2007-12-28, 12:35 AM
White Sand Elemental Form (Su): At second level, all earth elementals summoned by a coastal summoner have the special quaility DR 10/blugeoning. She also gains the ability to become a small, medium, or large white sand elemental once per day. Becoming a white sand elemental expends a use of her wildshape ability. This ability functions exactly like the wildshape class feature, but does not count against the character's daily use of that ability.

So does it, or does it not burn a use of wildshape?

Blue_C.
2007-12-28, 10:06 PM
Gah. It did in the first draft. I thought I edited those out.

Balkash
2007-12-28, 10:21 PM
I think it is a good idea, but when you talk about the Sunburn Elemental Form (Su), you said if it is immune to Fire or Light, it doesnt affect it, but if it is weak to light it is lethal. Should it also be if it is weak to fire, it is lethal?

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-28, 11:50 PM
I doubt anyone would want to take a level in this class since it doesn't give spellcasting progression. Wildshape progression is nice, but I don't think any druid in their right mind would give up spellcasting for the moderate benefits here. However, the idea is flavorful and interesting, and the flavor is good. Here are a couple of things to ponder.

First off, with those heavy prerequisites (aside: where can I find Beach Druid Initiative?) why not allow spellcasting progression? At least partial. You're not getting any boost to your animal companion, so you ARE losing something compared to straight druid already. Maybe you don't get advancement at level 5, where you get a SLA that replicates a 9th level spell anyway. Or maybe at level 4, where you get huge elemental.

If you'd rather not, maybe instead of spellcaster progression, your animal companion gets some cool new tricks. Maybe the Summoner's companion can get some nice personal SLA's that fit with the theme here?

Also, a slight nitpick...

Spells: Able to cast 5th-level divine spells.

Spells and Caster Level: Levels in the coastal summoner prestige class, even though they do not advance spell progression in the character’s base class, still stack with the character’s base spellcasting levels to determine caster level. This boost only applies to the divine spellcasting class that allowed sixth level spells to qualify for the class.
(Emphasis mine)

There's a disconnect here somewhere. I'd assume the prerequisites entry is correct, but it needs to be clarified.

Stycotl
2007-12-29, 01:56 AM
has a lot of flavor. it is very interesting in that respect; i would like to see more backstory.

i agree about spellcasting progression, especially with the high prereqs it has.

i would make the sunburn ability a standard act to affect everyone w/in a # feet radius. as it is, full round act to damage one person with less damage--and nonlethal damage at that--than it could inflict with its attacks later on.

other than that, not bad.