PDA

View Full Version : Highest ECL?

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 08:21 AM
Here's the challenge;

What's the highest ECL you can put on a 20th level character?

You can use as many level adjustments and templates as you like, with the following rules;
Total hit dice must be 20.
Only one half template (half-fiend, half-ogre, etc).

Highest ECL (with proper explanation) wins.. erm... cake?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-28, 08:29 AM
Ummm,

That is impossible by your own rules.

In order for the character to be 20th level, his LA+HD must equal 20. If he must have 20HD, then he can only have 20 levels....

See what I am saying?

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-28, 08:45 AM
As ^ didn't give an answer.

A level 20 wizard

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 08:47 AM
I'll give it a shot...

Draconic, Mineral Warrior, Chamelion, Voidmind, Hooded Pupil, Fire-Souled, Lolth-Touched, Half-Troll, Ogre Mage, Terror Vampire, Evolved (all 12 abilities), Fleshvigor.

With 15 sorcerer class levels and 5 racial HD.

That's an ECL of 63 + the LA on fire-souled, which I know is wrong on Crystal Keep (it lists LA +1, but that's got to be wrong).

Armads
2007-12-28, 09:59 AM
Ummm,
That is impossible by your own rules.

In order for the character to be 20th level, his LA+HD must equal 20. If he must have 20HD, then he can only have 20 levels....

See what I am saying?

I think he means what's the highest ECL you can get, after having 20 levels in a class.

EDIT: Duke of URL, you win. There actually isn't a limit to how many times you can dump Evolved

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 10:12 AM
@Armads - I believe the OP said only one "half" template.

I also take a common-sense RAI approach opposed to a RAW approach on Evolved and assume you only get each ability once, re-rolling if you get a duplicate, so that leaves a practical limit of 12, even though the RAW allows you to take it infinitely.

Metal Head
2007-12-28, 10:18 AM
Imagining it isn't a challenge, making it is. I could just go through almost every sourcebook and find the highest LA race with the most HD. Then I just add every single template in existance, 20 levels of some class, and TA DA!

Kami2awa
2007-12-28, 10:26 AM
You can't legally add every template ever to one creature very easily, because some templates require a specific creature type, and some templates CHANGE creature type. For instance you can't have a half-dragon dragon. It might be possible to apply a template that changes type one way, then another that changes it again, and so on until you get every template ever, but that would be very complex.

Armads
2007-12-28, 10:30 AM
You can't legally add every template ever to one creature very easily, because some templates require a specific creature type, and some templates CHANGE creature type. For instance you can't have a half-dragon dragon. It might be possible to apply a template that changes type one way, then another that changes it again, and so on until you get every template ever, but that would be very complex.

Draconomicon rules state you CAN have a half-dragon dragon.

@Duke: You're right. I'll edit my post.

Ne0
2007-12-28, 10:38 AM
Imagining it isn't a challenge, making it is. I could just go through almost every sourcebook and find the highest LA race with the most HD. Then I just add every single template in existance, 20 levels of some class, and TA DA!

No, actually, you should look for a creature with the highest LA, and the least HD. That counts towards your HD maximum.

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 10:42 AM
No, actually, you should look for a creature with the highest LA, and the least HD. That counts towards your HD maximum.

Actually, the creature HD is irrelevant in this case, as long as it's less than 21 HD. Just look for the highest LA that will accomplish your goals. (In my example, I took a +7 LA "giant" race so I could still be eligible for the Terror Vampire template.)

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-28, 10:48 AM
Actually, you can't have any HD. You need to be level 20.

So that means. Level 20 wizard with infinate number of evolved template. so infinity.

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 12:37 PM
Sorry if the OP was confusing; what I meant was the highest ECL on a character with 20HD (Be they racial or class).
The best I could get was a half-fiend pixie with irresistable dance (+10 LA on the first hit dice) with natural lycanthropy (+3) who takes enough spellcaster levels to qualify for spellstitched (+1 LA? haven't got mm2 to hand) lichdom (+4 LA)
That makes ECL 38.

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 12:49 PM
See #4 above... that's a perfectly legal application of templates that's ECL 64+ (theoretically infinite if there's no cap on the number of times you can take Evolved).

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-28, 12:54 PM
Sorry if the OP was confusing; what I meant was the highest ECL on a character with 20HD (Be they racial or class).
The best I could get was a half-fiend pixie with irresistable dance (+10 LA on the first hit dice) with natural lycanthropy (+3) who takes enough spellcaster levels to qualify for spellstitched (+1 LA? haven't got mm2 to hand) lichdom (+4 LA)
That makes ECL 38.

A Pixie couldn't be a lycanthrope since lycanthropy can only be added to Humanoids and Giants and Pixies are Fey.

Duke of URL
2007-12-28, 12:56 PM
A Pixie couldn't be a lycanthrope since lycanthropy can only be added to Humanoids and Giants and Pixies are Fey.

Actually, a half-fiend pixie is an Outsider(evil). The rest of your point still stands.