PDA

View Full Version : Roy is gonna be so underpowered!

Nargrakhan
2007-12-28, 10:16 AM
The living members of the OotS are slowly gaining levels, but when Roy is returned to life he will be losing a level right? So... err... wouldn't that at least make him underpowered by 2 class levels (if everyone is 14 and he's 12).

Ouch... talk about suckage. Unless he can keep XP gained in the afterlife (like that feat his role model has).

Balkash
2007-12-28, 10:33 AM
Well that is unless Roy already had more levels than the others to begin with, or maybe he will just end up fighting and defeating Xykon himself, which would probably be a big XP chunk.

Barbolanero
2007-12-28, 10:37 AM
Can yo imagine :roy: 's face when he learns that:elan: has more levels than him and has actually been quite the bodyguard for Hinjo!!!!

bluish_wolf
2007-12-28, 10:41 AM
Not to mention that you don't get any experience in a fight that you died in. Death isn't supposed to be totally negligible, even at high levels.

Crimson Avenger
2007-12-28, 10:52 AM
Ah, the good ole days of 2nd Ed, where you wer awarded 1,000 XP for dying. Postumously, of course.

Alfryd
2007-12-28, 10:58 AM
It's not as bad as it looks. Roy was apparently the highest-level Good character on the field, which puts hims ahead of the other party members, and he'll only lose half the XP from his last level.

Plus, maybe he'll have picked up some RP-XP for his efforts with dearest pater.

Ouch... talk about suckage. Unless he can keep XP gained in the afterlife (like that feat his role model has)
Technically, Roy didn't learn the feat, (or even, to our knowledge, have the chance to be tutored on the subject,) he's simply 'aware' of it now, so that it can be taken later.

VetMichael
2007-12-28, 12:58 PM
But imagine the XP bonuses he'll get when :belkar: and :elan: start killing things 2 or 3 levels higher than :roy: is...It'd be phenomenal, even though it'd crush his spirit :smallwink:

Rayzin
2007-12-28, 04:32 PM
THere was that Dungeon of Monsters That Are Just Strong Enough to Really Challenge you, so Roy could in fact be a even higher level than his party when he gets True Resurrected .

monty
2007-12-28, 04:57 PM
Can you get experience while you're dead? I've never run into that issue personally.

lord_khaine
2007-12-28, 05:01 PM
not by the rules, but it hardly matters, 1-2 levels of fighter doesnt make the big difference in effectivity.

monty
2007-12-28, 05:04 PM
not by the rules, but it hardly matters, 1-2 levels of fighter doesnt make the big difference in effectivity.

I don't know about that; in a dramatic conflict, where it comes down to a couple of crucial rolls, those extra few save bonuses, HP, or BAB might make a big difference.

The Extinguisher
2007-12-28, 05:14 PM
I would imagine you get experiance for everything up to when you died.

Because someone has to get experience for the Death Knight.

Callista
2007-12-28, 06:02 PM
Not to mention that you don't get any experience in a fight that you died in. Death isn't supposed to be totally negligible, even at high levels.Yeah you do. At least, I haven't seen anywhere that you don't; and I give XP to everyone, even dead characters, when I DM. (The fact that there are dead characters often enough to make this an official house-rule says something about my style, though! I think we have a 10th level fighter who's died three times...)

Decoy Lockbox
2007-12-29, 06:10 PM
As a single class fighter, wasn't Roy already underpowered? :smallbiggrin:

David Argall
2007-12-29, 06:29 PM
By the power of plot, Roy will gain the needed levels by the time the party regroups, unless there are some good gags from his not.

monty
2007-12-29, 06:35 PM
Maybe he gained a level from those guys that Plane Shifted into his mom's house. If they were strong enough that they thought they could fight in the Celestial Realm, they should've been worth a decent chunk of xp. Or maybe they were just stupid.

no one special
2007-12-29, 07:16 PM
Roy will gain the needed XP from killing most of his party in blind rage(and by most, I mean :elan: and maybe :belkar: over and over again) :smallbiggrin:

Assassin77
2007-12-29, 08:18 PM
Same thing happened to my group when someone died. Rich will do something I think ,I mean the OOTS NEED Roy in my opinion.

Tyrmatt
2007-12-30, 07:17 AM
It'll be worth it for Elan's hilarious Dragonball Z questioning of how much more powerful Roy got since he died.

lord_khaine
2007-12-30, 07:27 AM
don't know about that; in a dramatic conflict, where it comes down to a couple of crucial rolls, those extra few save bonuses, HP, or BAB might make a big difference.

yes, it might make a small difference, but its not going to be the difference betveen 12 and 14 fighter levels that desides if Roy is underpowered or not, at this point choice of feats will make a much bigger impact.

new1965
2007-12-30, 08:32 AM
The living members of the OotS are slowly gaining levels, but when Roy is returned to life he will be losing a level right? So... err... wouldn't that at least make him underpowered by 2 class levels (if everyone is 14 and he's 12).

Ouch... talk about suckage. Unless he can keep XP gained in the afterlife (like that feat his role model has).

If I remember right.. there is no level loss with True Resurrection (of course you need to find a 17th level Cleric)

If he was Level 13 or 14 before he bit the dust, everyone would be about even when he comes back

Groundhog
2007-12-30, 01:57 PM
Well, if Durkon gets to that level, then no problem. But that's unlikely.

And anyway, he'll catch up given that he's the leader and therefore will be up front and therefore will be attacking more monsters and gaining more XP.