PDA

View Full Version : Totem Warrior

arkanis
2007-12-28, 11:28 AM
Forgive my inability to put this into a proper table. I know this concept has been around a while, but I never saw a very well-made class for it so I thought up one myself. Critiques? Applause? Questions?

Totem Warrior
Requirements: Any neutral alignment, Handle Animal 4 ranks, Survival 8 ranks, base attack bonus +4.
Hit Dice: d8.
Proficiencies: As a Druid.
Base Attack: As a Ranger.
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim.
Skill Points: 4 + Int.
Saves: As a Ranger.
Special:
1st: Alternate form 1/day, Totem Empathy, Animal Senses
2nd: Wild Ability
3rd: Alternate form 2/day, Nature Sense
4th: Wild Ability
5th: Alternate form 3/day, Woodland Stride
6th: Wild Ability
7th: Alternate form 4/day, Resist Nature's Lure
8th: Wild Ability
9th: Alternate form 5/day, Trackless step
10th: Dire form, wild ability
Totem Empathy: Totem warriors must select 1 animal to serve as their animal totem. Once chosen, this cannot be changed. A totem warrior cannot select an animal with more hit dice than the totem warrior has upon attaining this prestige class. A totem warrior has a +4 bonus to all Charisma-based checks made to deal with their chosen animal.
Animal Senses: Totem warriors gain Low-light Vision and Scent out to 30 feet.
Alternate Form: A totem warrior can transform into their chosen totem animal or hybrid form as a standard action gaining the same ability score alterations and natural weapons of their totem just as a lycanthrope would plus temporarily gaining their totem's natural armor bonuses. The duration is dependent upon their totem's animal hit dice. Each duration lasts a number of rounds equal to (10 x totem warrior level) divided by (animal's hit dice). Round down for the duration (minimum 1 round). Uses per day are listed on the table. Damage dice from natural attacks and special attacks (including poison) are reduced or increased appropriately to match the character's size (see Improving Monsters). Willingly changing back into the character's natural form is a free action and does not count against the uses per day.
Wild Ability: At every even level a totem warrior selects a wild ability from the following list:
Natural Quality: Character selects one of their totem's special attacks, racial bonus feats, or special qualities and retains the use of the selected ability, feat, or quality in any form. The same restrictions the animal faces apply to the character. DCs are dependent upon the character's totem warrior as effective animal hit dice. Damage dice from special attacks are reduced or increased appropriately to match the character's size (see Improving Monsters). A totem warrior can select Waterbreathing as an extraordinary ability if their animal totem has the aquatic subtype.
Natural Armor: Character gains +1 natural armor in any form.
Natural Attack: Character retains their totem's natural attacks in any form. Damage dice from natural attacks are reduced or increased appropriately to match the character's size (see Improving Monsters).
Improved Natural Attack: Character gains Improved Natural Attack as a bonus feat. Character must first have selected Natural Attack.
Improved Natural Armor: Character gains Improved Natural Armor as a bonus feat. Character must first have selected Natural Armor.
Nature Sense: As a druid.
Woodland Stride: As a druid.
Resist Nature's Lure: As a druid.
Trackless Step: As a druid.
Dire Form: Character can now transform into a dire version of their animal totem gaining the improved ability score adjustments, improved natural armor, and reduced duration due to increased totem hit dice (see Dire Animals). The character can also choose to grow or shrink one size category closer to their totem's true size while in their alternate form, providing the normal statistical changes of the size alteration (except for ability scores and natural armor). A totem warrior whose animal totem is the same size as their natural form cannot grow or shrink.

Bandededed
2007-12-28, 11:43 AM
Improved Natural Attack: Character gains Improved Natural Attack as a bonus feat. Character must first have selected Natural Armor.
Improved Natural Armor: Character gains Improved Natural Armor as a bonus feat. Character must first have selected Natural Weapon.

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted it to be, having to select the attack to take the imp. defense and the defense to take the imp. attack.

A totem warrior with an aquatic animal totem can select Waterbreathing as an extraordinary ability.

If a PC were to take a dolphin or whale or any other air breathing mamal, they could still take waterbreathing, the way this is worded. I would change it to:
A totem warrior with an animal totem that can filter oxygen from water may select waterbreathing as an extraordinary ability. A totem warrior with an animal totem that is aquatic but still breaths air (dolphin etc.) may select a +4 bonus to Con to his checks to hold his breath as an extraordinary ability.

Other than those minor things, great work!

arkanis
2007-12-28, 11:51 AM
Oops, you found my typos. Thank you.

Fixed. ^_^

Narmy
2009-12-11, 06:44 PM
I would suggest putting this into a table now that you are capable of doing so.