PDA

View Full Version : Complete Warlock

pyrefiend
2007-12-28, 12:21 PM
Regardless of what "power level" warlocks are, they are simply a lot of fun to play. The only problem they have is their relatively small number of invocations available to pick from. Therefore, I purpose an alliance with all other forum-dwelling warlock fans. The purpose: to create a myriad of new invocations and increase the awesomeness of an already very awesome class.

Least Invocations

Eldrich Essence
Hexed Blast; 2nd
This invocation allows you to change your eldrich blasts into hexed blasts. Any creature struck by a hexed blast must succeed on a will saving throw or suffer a -3 penalty to all saving throws for one minute. Multiple hexed blasts on a single target do not stack saving throw penalties.

Blast Shape
Eldrich Bolt; 1st
You may form your eldrich blast as a line-shaped burst with a range of 15 feet, instead of a ray. Creatures in the area are entitled to reflex saves for half damage.

Lesser Invocations

Dark Reach; 3rd
As a standard action, extend the reach of one of your melee weapons or one of your natural weapons or your unarmed attacks by 5 feet. This invocation lasts 24 hours and does not stack. Attacks do normal damage but can stack with invocations such as Hideous Blow or Fell Blow.

Fell Blow; 4th
As a swift action, you imbue your weapon with your eldritch power. Your normal attacks now deal your eldritch blast damage on top of its normal damage. This invocation can be applied to ranged weapons and natural weapons.

Condense Shadow; 4th
You draw in the fabric of shadow itself and condense it into a liquid which functions as a potent poison. The poison must be ingested, but it changes it’s color and consistency to match that of any liquid it is mixed with. Condensed shadow deals 1 point of strength damage initially and 1d8 points a minute later. Both sets of damage can be negated with a successful fortitude save.

Girallon’s Blessing; 4th
As the spell Girallon’s Blessing, except that the target is self, the duration is 24 hours, and you gain the benefits of the feat multiweapon fighting for the duration.
Fell Step; 3rd
You may walk over non solid surfaces, such as water or mud, at your base land speed. You may not take the run action over such surfaces. Fell Step does not grant immunity to harmful substances such as lava or acid, nor does it grant any bonus to moving over difficult terrain, solid or otherwise.

Latent Power; 4th
You may imbue your ally with a pool of latent energy, to assist them when neccesary. This invocation has a range of touch. When casting latent power, you designate one ability score. As soon as the ally imbued with latent power makes any check where the ability score applies, that ally gains a +4 bonus to that ability score for one minute. When static numbers such as Armor Class, or a spell's saving throw come into play (for example, when a wizard casts a spell, or when an ally is attacked) and these numbers are dependent on the ability score, this also triggers the effect. Likewise, when constitution is selected, and the imbued ally is struck, the effect begins. The power is derived directly from the warlock, and until the bonus is triggered, the warlock suffers a -4 penalty to the ability score chosen. A warlock may only have one ally so imbued at any time.

Eldrich Essence
Resonant Blast; 3rd
This invocation allows you to change your eldrich blasts into resonant blasts. Resonant blasts deal sonic damage. Any creature struck by a resonant blast must succeed on a fortitude save or be deafened for 1d4 rounds. A resonant blast deals normal damage to objects and ignores hardness.

Blast Shape
Splash Blast; 3rd
You may treat your eldrich blasts as splash weapons. All creatures adjacent to the square directly struck by a splash blast receive one half the damage dealt by the initial blast. They are entitled to reflex saves to halve the damage they take.

Greater Invocations

Twilight Skin; 6th
Twilight skin covers you in a skintight curtain of baleful magic. It provides you with no bonus to armor class, instead damaging foes who attack you in melee. Any creature that strikes you in melee resolves their attack normally, but also takes 1 point of damage per your warlock level (maximum 20 damage). Foes Your enemies take the damage automatically on your turn when you grapple them. You may dismiss your twilight skin as a standard action, and when you do, it explodes outward, dealing damage to all creatures adjacent to you as if they had attacked you in melee, and knocking them back 1d3X10 ft. A successful reflex save halves the damage and negates the knock back effect.

Fitful Sleep; 6th
You may target up to one creature per two warlock levels. If the targets fail their will saves, they fall into a sleep filled with strange nightmares. They sleep lightly, suffering only a -5 penalty to listen checks rather than the normal -10. If left undisturbed, the targets of fitful sleep will remain asleep for one hour.
Tainted Land; 6th
Tainted Land causes land in a 10 foot radius emanation to become twisted and misshapen. A warlock can extend the diameter of the tainted land by 5 feet for every round he spends concentrating on doing so. The radius can never exceed 30 feet, or 5 feet per warlock level, whichever is less. Hostile creatures suffer a -2 penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, AC, and saving throws against fear while in the area of tainted land. Once created, tainted land lingers for 24 hours. No one warlock can have more than one area of tainted land at once.

Eldrich Essence
Overwhelming Blast; 5th
This invocation allows you to change your eldrich blasts into overwhelming blasts. Half of the damage dealt by an overwhelming blast is nonlethal. Creatures struck by an overwhelming blast must succeed on a will save or become stunned for one round.

Blast Shape
Wall of Sorrow; 6th
The Warlock projects his eldrich force before him in a 5' thick and 10' high wall of miasma. The length of the wall may be up to 5 feet per warlock level, maximum 100 ft. The actual description of the wall can be left up to each individual warlock as a matter of flavor. It can look like flames, choking smoke, chilling fog, radiating force, etc. This wall will apply his eldrich blast damage (including eldrich essence Invocation effect, if applicable) to anyone who enters the area. Those who are in the squares which it affects are entitled to a Reflex save for half if they immediately move out of the way, however once the wall is up, no saving throw is allowed to anyone who goes through it (although SR still applies normally, unless an eldrich essence envocation is used which would deny SR). The duration of this effect is as long as he maintains it by spending a Standard action concentrating on it.

Eldrich Detonation; 6th
You may treat your eldrich blast as a 10 foot radius burst with a range of 50 feet. Creatures within the effect are allowed reflex saves for half damage.

Dark Invocations

Fell Possesion; 8th
This invocation functions as the spell magic jar, except that any object may function as the vessel for the warlock's soul.

Eldrich Shaping; 7th
Whenever doing so would be beneficial, the warlock may specifically exclude areas within his eldrich blast area of to avoid allies.

Shed Flesh; 8th
As per the spell ghostform, except as follows. The process of re-entering your body is painful and canceling the effect deals 1d4 points of damage per round previously spent in ghostform.

Change of Heart; 7th
You target one creature with this power. If the creature fails it’s will save, it’s alignment changes to the direct opposite. If change of heart is used to target a true neutral creature, that creature changes to a random extreme alignment (lawful good, chaotic good, lawful evil, or chaotic evil). If the creature fails its will save, it must make another will save an hour later, at a +4 bonus. If they succeed, their alignment changes back to normal. If they fail, their alignment is permanently changed. If change of heart targets an outsider, the outsider gains a +4 bonus on their first save and a +8 to the second.

Eldritch Minion; 8th
You can call an outsider of your alignment with less or equal HD to you, this outsider will serve you for 24 hours, if you give it some kind of "payment", in the case of demons, sacrificing a living being with at least half the HD of the demon to it is a common and "accepted" thing to do. If you don't pay it, it will only stay for one round per level. Whilst it is a spell-like ability at will, it has a one hour cooldown.

Eldrich Essence
Entropic Blast; 7th
This invocation allows you to change your eldrich blasts into entropic blasts. Half of the damage dealt by an entropic blast is negative energy damage, and the attack is treated as chaos-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Entropic blasts drain away your opponents' vitality. If an entropic blast strikes your enemy, they suffer 1d2 points of ability damage to strength, constitution and dexterity. A successful fortitude save halves the ability damage.

Blast Shape
Eldrich Miasma; 9th
This blast shape invocation allows you to release your eldrich blast in the form of a miasma of baleful energy. The miasma takes the shape of a 20 foot radius emanation with a range of 50 feet. Any creature within the miasma at the start of their turn takes full eldrich blast damage and suffers all other effects of the blast. You can can maintain the miasma for as long as you concentrate on doing so, to a maximum of one round per warlock level.

Please critique and add your own ideas!:smallwink:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-28, 01:53 PM
May I direct you to a thread in which I was trying to convert all of the primary casters over to a warlock-based incantation system?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67363

I think it'll end up being much more balanced than the current system, in which CoDzillas and Batman Wizards abound...

JackMage666
2007-12-28, 05:40 PM
Fell Step and Hexed Blast should be Lesser Invocations. Fell Step recreates Water Walking, which is a relatively high spell level for a Lesser Invocation. The -3 to Saves for one minutes, as well, is a bit strong for 1st level Warlocks to possess.

pyrefiend
2007-12-28, 06:11 PM
May I direct you to a thread in which I was trying to convert all of the primary casters over to a warlock-based incantation system?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67363

I think it'll end up being much more balanced than the current system, in which CoDzillas and Batman Wizards abound...

I've read through that thread, and I like your ideas. Ill try using it for my next campaign, if it's completely ready to use by then.

Fell Step and Hexed Blast should be Lesser Invocations. Fell Step recreates Water Walking, which is a relatively high spell level for a Lesser Invocation. The -3 to Saves for one minutes, as well, is a bit strong for 1st level Warlocks to possess.

You're right, fell step should probably be lesser. However, I think that hexed blast is fine where it is. Sickening blast makes you sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#sickened), and I think -3 to all saves is on par with that.

Ne0
2007-12-28, 06:14 PM
Definately. The 1st level Cleric Spell 'Doom' gives a -2 on saves, attack and damage rolls, and checks. So that's worth it.

The_Snark
2007-12-28, 06:23 PM
-Hexed Blast ought to have a note saying the effects of multiple hexed blasts don't stack.

-Fell Step actually resembles the Complete Mage invocation Witchwood Step a lot, and that's lesser.

-Tainted Land ought to have a duration; 24 hours, with the caveat that only one area may be affected at once, is standard. If the warlock can maintain more than one at once, maybe shorten it to 1 min/caster level...

-On Overwhelming Blast: Complete Mage has a dark blast essence that stuns enemies for 1 round on a failed Will save, so by those standards, this is too powerful. Myself, I'm not sure why stunning was considered so strong, but Wizards seems to think so.

-Blast Shape doesn't say it allows a Reflex save for half damage; does it? It seems a bit too powerful if not.

-I'm not actually seeing much point to Eldritch Miasma... Eldritch Doom seems to accomplish the same thing, but allows you to exclude your allies from the effect. It also doesn't say it allows a save for half damage, but this is a dark invocation, so that actually seems like a reasonable advantage for it if it doesn't.

Aside from these, which are mostly minor quibbles and clarification, I like 'em. Particularly Entropic Blast.

pyrefiend
2007-12-28, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the help, Snark. I'm editing the invocations. Most of the changes are fairly rudimentary, but I would like to clarify two things. First, eldrich miasma is different than eldrich doom because the miasma doesn't force you to get near enemies to be effective (I meant to put a range in there) but can't exclude your friends from the effect. Also, I think overwhelming blast is fine where it is. I agree with you, stunning isn't all that spectacular, and half of the blast's damage is nonlethal. Entropic blast is my favorite too, thanks.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-28, 09:50 PM
Dark Incantation

Eldrich Shaping
When using a Blast Shape incantation which allows for an area effect, the Warlock may specifically exclude certain areas within it to avoid allies.

Also, look at my Arcanist thread for more ideas

pyrefiend
2007-12-28, 09:59 PM
Dark Incantation

Eldrich Shaping
When using a Blast Shape incantation which allows for an area effect, the Warlock may specifically exclude certain areas within it to avoid allies.

Also, look at my Arcanist thread for more ideas

Thanks Shneekey! Anyone else got any ideas? :smallconfused:

vegetalss4
2007-12-29, 04:42 AM
Eldrich Shaping should not be a blast shape, as that would make it completely useless (only one shape pr. blast)

Dihan
2007-12-29, 05:04 AM
How about something like Eldritch Shield that works similar to spells like Acid Sheathe and the such.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-29, 01:12 PM
Greater Powers

Wall of Sorrow [Blast Shape Invocation]

The Warlock projects his Eldrich force before him in a 20' long, 5' thick, and 10' high wall of miasma (actual description of the wall can be left up to each individual warlock as a matter of flavor. It can look like flames, choking smoke, chilling fog, radiating force... whatever). This wall will apply his Eldrich Blast damage (including Eldrich Essence Invocation effect, if applicable) to anyone who enters the area. Those who are in the squares which it affects are entitled to a Reflex save for half if they immediately move out of the way, however once the wall is up, no saving throw is allowed to anyone who goes through it (although SR still applies normally, unless an Eldrich Essence Invocation is used which would deny SR). The duration of this effect is as long as he maintains it by spending a Standard action concentrating on it.

Danu
2007-12-29, 03:31 PM
From what I've always seen, a warlock's invocations are almost always centered on the warlock to the exclusion of his allies. I'd like to see invocation that allow a warlock become more centered within the group as a whole.

How about an invocation that creates a small fetish or talisman for any ally with grants them a bonus here or there, depending on the warlock's strength and the 'level' of the invocation. Something similar to the Create Magic Tattoo spell?

FlyMolo
2007-12-29, 05:46 PM
Fell Possession

Dark. spell level=?

Magic Jar at will. Any object may be used as a focus.

Edit: V Thanks. I was thinking about demony abilities, and posession is one of those. I'm not sure about the spell level. 7? 8? 9? no clue.

pyrefiend
2007-12-29, 08:23 PM
Eldrich Shaping should not be a blast shape, as that would make it completely useless (only one shape pr. blast)Yeah, whoops. changing that now...

Greater Powers

Wall of Sorrow [Blast Shape Invocation]

The Warlock projects his Eldrich force before him in a 20' long, 5' thick, and 10' high wall of miasma (actual description of the wall can be left up to each individual warlock as a matter of flavor. It can look like flames, choking smoke, chilling fog, radiating force... whatever). This wall will apply his Eldrich Blast damage (including Eldrich Essence Invocation effect, if applicable) to anyone who enters the area. Those who are in the squares which it affects are entitled to a Reflex save for half if they immediately move out of the way, however once the wall is up, no saving throw is allowed to anyone who goes through it (although SR still applies normally, unless an Eldrich Essence Invocation is used which would deny SR). The duration of this effect is as long as he maintains it by spending a Standard action concentrating on it.
Wow, thanks again Shneeky! I'm going to make a few minor edits then put this up.

From what I've always seen, a warlock's invocations are almost always centered on the warlock to the exclusion of his allies. I'd like to see invocation that allow a warlock become more centered within the group as a whole.

How about an invocation that creates a small fetish or talisman for any ally with grants them a bonus here or there, depending on the warlock's strength and the 'level' of the invocation. Something similar to the Create Magic Tattoo spell?
good idea, I'll write something up now.

Fell Possession

Dark. spell level=?

Magic Jar at will. Any object may be used as a focus.
Oooooo... I like that idea. Very dark and warlocky.

Somebloke
2007-12-30, 06:02 AM
Thanks Shneekey! Anyone else got any ideas? :smallconfused:I have 40+ invocations buried in an old thread called 'The Complete Low Magic'. Feel free to pillage.

Zenos
2007-12-30, 07:27 AM
Dark Invocation
Eldritch Minion

CL equivalent: 8th level
You can call an outsider of your alignment with less or equal HD to you, this outsider will serve you for 24 hours, if you give it some kind of "payment", in the case of demons, sacrificing a living being with at least half the HD of the demon to it is a common and "accepted" thing to do. If you don't pay it, it will only stay for one round per level. Whilst it is a spell-like ability at will, it has a one hour cooldown.

I don't know about how balanced it is, but I hope at least the concept comes through.

Xefas
2007-12-30, 08:02 AM
I've been interested in giving a Warlock of mine a Marilith-like appearance, so how would an invocation that granted a 24 hour Girallon's Blessing spell be? It's a 3rd level spell, so I'm assuming it'd be Lesser.

I don't see too many problems arising from it, but I'd like others' judgement on it (the spell is in the Spell Compendium and it has a 3rd edition version in Savage Species, though I don't think it works the same way in that book).

Would it be too overpowered to include a free "Multiweapon Fighting" feat in addition to the spell effect? I think it would be a bit too esoteric for someone to be expected to take it by themself, and the tremendous penalties (-6 on the first weapon, -10 on all others) would make the extra arms pretty useless otherwise...

13_CBS
2007-12-30, 11:24 AM
hmm, my first homebrew attempt...

Fel Blow

Greater Invocation

As a swift action, you imbue your weapon with your Eldritch power. Your normal attacks now deal your Eldritch Blast damage on top of its normal damage.

This invocation can be applied to ranged weapons and natural weapons.
<hr>

Too powerful? Worthless?

StoryKeeper
2007-12-30, 12:50 PM
There's a least invocation called Hideous Blow that does pretty much the same thing. Adding the effect to ranged attacks is different, but most warlocks use their blasts as their primary ranged weapons already. Unless it's a monster with levels in warlock or a character with a strange race or a template, adding it to a natural attack usually just means doing blast damage in addition to a 1d4.
It's an interesting expansion on Hideous Blow, but it doesn't seem powerful enough to qualify as greater. Maybe placing it at lesser would even it out.

pyrefiend
2007-12-31, 11:45 PM
I have 40+ invocations buried in an old thread called 'The Complete Low Magic'. Feel free to pillage.
:smalleek: Wow, thanks, Ill do that.

Dark Invocation
Eldritch Minion

CL equivalent: 8th level

I don't know about how balanced it is, but I hope at least the concept comes through.
I like the idea, but I'm not sure about the balance. I'll put it up and see what others think about it.

I've been interested in giving a Warlock of mine a Marilith-like appearance, so how would an invocation that granted a 24 hour Girallon's Blessing spell be? It's a 3rd level spell, so I'm assuming it'd be Lesser.

I don't see too many problems arising from it, but I'd like others' judgement on it (the spell is in the Spell Compendium and it has a 3rd edition version in Savage Species, though I don't think it works the same way in that book).

Would it be too overpowered to include a free "Multiweapon Fighting" feat in addition to the spell effect? I think it would be a bit too esoteric for someone to be expected to take it by themself, and the tremendous penalties (-6 on the first weapon, -10 on all others) would make the extra arms pretty useless otherwise...
I don't see why that would be unbalanced. If you don't grant the feat along with the arms, it's just like giving a bunch of attacks that will never hit.

hmm, my first homebrew attempt...

Fel Blow

Greater Invocation

As a swift action, you imbue your weapon with your Eldritch power. Your normal attacks now deal your Eldritch Blast damage on top of its normal damage.

This invocation can be applied to ranged weapons and natural weapons.
<hr>

Too powerful? Worthless?
Like StoryKeeper said, it's a lot like hideous blow. However, it's different enough to warrant it's own invocation, and powerful enough to be Lesser.

These are all the most recently made invocations:

Lesser
Fell Blow; 4th
As a swift action, you imbue your weapon with your Eldritch power. Your normal attacks now deal your Eldritch Blast damage on top of its normal damage. This invocation can be applied to ranged weapons and natural weapons.

Condense Shadow; 4th
You draw in the fabric of shadow itself and condense it into a liquid which functions as a potent poison. The poison must be ingested, but it changes it’s color and consistency to match that of any liquid it is mixed with. Condensed shadow deals 1 point of strength damage initially and 1d8 points a minute later. Both sets of damage can be negated with a successful fortitude save.

Girallon’s Blessing; 4th
As the spell Girallon’s Blessing, except that the target is self, the duration is 24 hours, and you gain the benefits of the feat multiweapon fighting for the duration.

Greater
Twilight Skin; 6th
Twilight skin covers you in a skintight curtain of baleful magic. It provides you with no bonus to armor class, instead damaging foes who attack you in melee. Any creature that strikes you in melee resolves their attack normally, but also takes 1 point of damage per your warlock level (maximum 20 damage). Foes Your enemies take the damage automatically on your turn when you grapple them. You may dismiss your twilight skin as a standard action, and when you do, it explodes outward, dealing damage to all creatures adjacent to you as if they had attacked you in melee, and knocking them back 1d3X10 ft. A successful reflex save halves the damage and negates the knock back effect.

Fitful Sleep; 6th
You may target up to one creature per two warlock levels. If the targets fail their will saves, they fall into a sleep filled with strange nightmares. They sleep lightly, suffering only a -5 penalty to listen checks rather than the normal -10. If left undisturbed, the targets of fitful sleep will remain asleep for one hour.

Dark
Change of Heart; 7th
You target one creature with this power. If the creature fails it’s will save, it’s alignment changes to the direct opposite. If change of heart is used to target a true neutral creature, that creature changes to a random extreme alignment (lawful good, chaotic good, lawful evil, or chaotic evil). If the creature fails its will save, it must make another will save an hour later, at a +4 bonus. If they succeed, their alignment changes back to normal. If they fail, their alignment is permanently changed. If change of heart targets an outsider, the outsider gains a +4 bonus on their first save and a +8 to the second.

Eldritch Minion; 8th

These are invocations that were suggested plus a few I made my own. As always, thanks to everyone who posted suggestions and fully made invocations. I'll also put these up in the first post for ease of use.

13_CBS
2008-01-01, 12:01 AM
There's a least invocation called Hideous Blow that does pretty much the same thing.

Yeah, I know. I meant to, as you said, expand upon Hideous Blow which, IIRC, lets you do only one attack per round. Fel Blow lets you attack as many times as you normally can.

I wonder what it would be like if there was an invocation like this?:

Dark Reach

Lesser Invocation?

As a standard action, extend the reach of one of your melee weapons or one of your natural weapons or your unarmed attacks by 5 feet. This invocation lasts 24 hours and does not stack. Attacks do normal damage but can stack with invocations such as Hideous Blow or Fel Blow.

pyrefiend
2008-01-01, 02:06 PM
Dark Reach

Lesser Invocation?

As a standard action, extend the reach of one of your melee weapons or one of your natural weapons or your unarmed attacks by 5 feet. This invocation lasts 24 hours and does not stack. Attacks do normal damage but can stack with invocations such as Hideous Blow or Fel Blow.
Looks good. Thanks CBS.

StoryKeeper
2008-01-02, 02:04 PM
Dark Reach

Lesser Invocation?

I like it. What would it look like? Would the weapon sort of stretch itself out as you swing it, or would it just gain length, and if it does simply gain a constant length, does it increase in weight or size category?

pyrefiend
2008-01-02, 05:37 PM
I like it. What would it look like? Would the weapon sort of stretch itself out as you swing it, or would it just gain length, and if it does simply gain a constant length, does it increase in weight or size category?

I was thinking about that. It's simply impractical and nonsensical to assume that you can give reach to say, a dagger, and still assume it works the same way functionally. I assumed the weapon would stretch or something. You could even say the weapon doesn't get longer at all, it just floats five feet away and you control it from afar. Anything that doesn't increase the weight or change the way the weapon works.

Uncle Festy
2008-01-02, 09:35 PM
Just a minor nitpick, but it would be Fell Blow. :smalltongue:

Here's a thought, but I have no clue what level invocation:

Demonic Earth
(Blast Shape)
Whenever using your eldritch blast, you may instead have it cause an area of ground to be infused with eldritch energy. A 10 ft. radius burst, centered within 20 ft of the caster, is filled with this energy. It lasts one round per dice of damage your eldritch blast deals, and deals 1d6 damage per round to anyone within its area, no save. The caster may choose to halve the duration and double the damage dice, or third (?) the duration and triple the damage dice. Anyone who takes this damage is considered to take damage as an eldritch blast, and can therefore convey certain effects (such as the hex from eldritch essence).

StoryKeeper
2008-01-04, 07:31 PM
Uncle Festy:

I would probably put it as dark. The blast shape alone might be a greater or lesser, but turning an area of the field into such a dangerous area would be devestating. Imagine using this on a stationary target; it would be taking a huge amount of damage.
Also, if you have teh option of tripling or doubling your normal amount of blast damage, then you're effectively tripling or doubling the power of every blast you use.
Maybe if you took away or weakened the secondary options and changed the duration to concentration. That way you could still change part of the area into a steaming vortex of death, but you wouldn't be casually tossing triple the power eldritch blasts all over the map. Maybe You could split it into several different invocations such as...

Eldritch Field:
Blast Shape Greater
You may use your eldritch blast in a 10 foot radius centered on a point that you can hit with an eldritch blast. The effect deals normal damage to all who enter the affected area (reflex save halves). If you used an essence invocation on teh blast, then it's affects last only for the first round. Duration equals concentration.

Exhausting Blast:
Essence (Greater or Lesser)
You may elect to have your blast do twice or triple the normal amount of damage. Once you have attacked (regardless of success) you pass out temporarily. You can take no action for 1 round if you chose to double your blast's damage, or 2 rounds if you chose to triple it.

Pyre Fiend:
I don't know about it floating. That might be an interesting invocation itself (although it's similar to the one where your hand falls off), but if your weapon is floating, then do you get to use your other hand? What about natural attacks? Would the limb or teeth or whatever fly off?
It would probably be easier to say that the weapon simply stretches when used, or that eldritch energy extend from the blade in the shape of the weapon being used.

Parvum
2008-01-04, 07:58 PM
Fell Blow is already half covered, as a least invocation but only covering melee attacks (Hideous Blow). Have a ranged-specific Hideous Shot (least) instead of a ranged/melee lesser.

SofS
2008-01-06, 02:30 AM
You know, it sort of bugs me that there isn't any support (that I know of) for getting electricity damage out of a warlock. It makes sense to me that a lesser invocation should be able to turn the eldritch blast damage into electricity damage and perhaps force a save against being dazzled or some such. Maybe a greater invocation that mimicked one of the Call Lightning spells (to go with the Wall of Perilous Flame and Chilling Tentacles) in some way would be neat too.

P.S. This Dark Reach invocation is seriously stepping into Krull territory at this point.

EDIT
Here's a quick attempt at the two things I mentioned.

Skyspark Blast [Lesser, 4th]
A Skyspark Blast deals electricity damage. As well, anyone hit by a Skyspark Blast must make a Will save or be dazed for one round.

Seize the Heavens [Greater, 5th]
As Call Lightning, but you may call one bolt per round as a move action instead of a standard action.

The names are iffy, I know. How are they otherwise?

Excellence
2008-01-06, 06:43 AM
I was thinking about that. It's simply impractical and nonsensical to assume that you can give reach to say, a dagger, and still assume it works the same way functionally. I assumed the weapon would stretch or something. You could even say the weapon doesn't get longer at all, it just floats five feet away and you control it from afar. Anything that doesn't increase the weight or change the way the weapon works.

Well... what I had visualized when I read the power is something I saw in an ancient fantasy film (no idea what it was) some 15 years ago when I was a young kid:

The warlock swings his dagger/whatever at a target clearly out of reach, and a slash/stabwound simply appears on the target as if they had been close enough.

An evil evil trick that is hard to defend against (pure fluff) and can catch someone offguard quite easily the first time.

13_CBS
2008-01-06, 11:46 AM
Heh, right, I forgot about Dark Reach's fluff :smallredface:

I was thinking about shadowy, blackish fire extending from the warlock's arms, effectively lengthening them. Thus, his reach grows.

MeklorIlavator
2008-01-06, 03:13 PM
Well... what I had visualized when I read the power is something I saw in an ancient fantasy film (no idea what it was) some 15 years ago when I was a young kid:

The warlock swings his dagger/whatever at a target clearly out of reach, and a slash/stabwound simply appears on the target as if they had been close enough.

An evil evil trick that is hard to defend against (pure fluff) and can catch someone offguard quite easily the first time.

There's a spell like that in the Spell Compenduim, I think it was called Bloodwind or something like that, and allowed one's melee attacks to "hit" at up to 30 or 60 feet. It was described as the wind cutting the foes as you punched.