PDA

View Full Version : TWF with a shield

Godric
2007-12-28, 12:52 PM
If one wanted to TWF with a heavy shield, is there a feat out there that would treat the heavy shield as a light weapon? Or a feat that allows someone to TWF with two nonlight weapons?

BRC
2007-12-28, 12:53 PM
If one wanted to TWF with a heavy shield, is there a feat out there that would treat the heavy shield as a light weapon? Or a feat that allows someone to TWF with two nonlight weapons?

you can TWF with nonlight weapons, you just take a slightly bigger penalty.

Godric
2007-12-28, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I mean with a -2/-2 penalty, not -4/-4

ocato
2007-12-28, 01:08 PM
Oversized Two Weapon Fighting from... Complete Adventurer.

adanedhel9
2007-12-28, 01:15 PM
There's a feat in the PH2 specifically for this. I don't remember exactly what it's called though. It's off of the Shield Specialization tree.

Cybren
2007-12-28, 01:17 PM
Agile Shield Fighting.

Telonius
2007-12-28, 01:22 PM
Ocato got to it before me, Oversize TWF. It's a tossup between Oversize and Agile Shield. If you have good stats, Oversize will get you there faster. You need 13 Str and TWF (which itself requires 15 Dex, unless you have it from Ranger or something like that) to get it. Agile Shield Fighter has two feats as Prereqs (shield Spec. and Imp shield bash). Personaly I'd go for Oversize, since it's a bit more versatile. You can use any one-handed weapon, not just a shield.

EDIT: Make sure you put spikes on that shield, btw. :smallsmile:

Roderick_BR
2007-12-28, 01:34 PM
You need Improved Shield Bash to not lose your shield bonus when using it as a weapon. Then, as Cybren said, the Agile Shield Fighter (I think that improved shield bashing is a prerequisite), that allows you to attack with both weapon and shield with the normal -2/-2, regardless of size (you still can't bash with a tower shield), and doesn't have Dex requisite.
But if you have good Dex, and want better TWF options, you could get the Oversized TWF, and the rest of the tree. I don't remember if TWDefense stacks with actual shields, though.

Cybren
2007-12-28, 01:36 PM
Yeah the thing is i doubt dex is a high priority for a sword and board fighter

spotmarkedx
2007-12-28, 01:48 PM
If you don't have the feat, you could also take a light weapon as your primary hand weapon (such as a shortsword or hand axe) and thus fill the one handed + light requirements of -2/-2

The J Pizzel
2007-12-28, 01:52 PM
All I can contribute is that one of my players once played a palladin/knight who wend sword and board and couldn't decide on what feats to take. So he went with TWF / Imp. Shield Bash / Shield Spec. (tree from PHBII) and he completely loved it. Not really optimized mind you, but he had a great time playing it. I'm a full supporter of the sword and board build.

JP

ocato
2007-12-28, 01:56 PM
If you don't have the feat, you could also take a light weapon as your primary hand weapon (such as a shortsword or hand axe) and thus fill the one handed + light requirements of -2/-2

This is a good idea, especially if you have combat expertise (I like it for sword and board). That way you can pick up deadly defense for an extra 1d6 damage when fighting defensively or combat expertising.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-12-28, 02:41 PM
All I can contribute is that one of my players once played a palladin/knight who wend sword and board and couldn't decide on what feats to take. So he went with TWF / Imp. Shield Bash / Shield Spec. (tree from PHBII) and he completely loved it. Not really optimized mind you, but he had a great time playing it. I'm a full supporter of the sword and board build.

JP

Mike Mearls posted something in EnWorld about improving sword&board style and making it "as optimized" as big-weapon style.

At least for me, thats another good reason not to discount 4e