PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Tyranny special mount

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 02:56 PM
would a Paladin of Tyranny get a Warhorse for a special mount, or would it get something else (something more evilish, like a giant underdark lizard or something)

Crow
2007-12-28, 02:58 PM
Nightmare, baby.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 03:01 PM
yea but isnt that a powerful demon? wouldn't i have to be high level to use it? (the character to which this is immediately relevant for me is lvl 5)

Scorpina
2007-12-28, 03:05 PM
A Paladin's mount doesn't have to be a heavy warhorse, even RAW, so a riding lizard would work well (I think they have pretty similar stats, anyway). You'd need to be higher level for a Nightmare... also they're pretty clichéd...

Ne0
2007-12-28, 03:06 PM
I once slapped a template on a fiendish bat once to make it rideable. :smallbiggrin:
Good times...

Thinker
2007-12-28, 03:08 PM
A Paladin's mount doesn't have to be a heavy warhorse, even RAW, so a riding lizard would work well (I think they have pretty similar stats, anyway). You'd need to be higher level for a Nightmare... also they're pretty clichéd...

Nightmares are cliche because they're awesome. :smallcool:

Crow
2007-12-28, 03:08 PM
Yeah. CR 5 though, so not far off.

Telonius
2007-12-28, 03:09 PM
I'd say any appropriately-sized Animal of CR2 or lower would qualify. Large Viper, maybe?

Scorpina
2007-12-28, 03:11 PM
Oooh, a viper as a mount would be awesome.

...of course, in the wrong group (i.e: mine) you'd get lots of jokes about 'riding the snake'...

Crow
2007-12-28, 03:12 PM
Oooh, a viper as a mount would be awesome.

...of course, in the wrong group (i.e: mine) you'd get lots of jokes about 'riding the snake'...

Forgot what I was going to write when I quoted you...Oh well.

A Monstrous Spider mount would be quite nice also.

Nermy
2007-12-28, 03:13 PM
Monitor Lizard works with no penalty if you really wanted a lizard mount.

Zenos
2007-12-28, 03:17 PM
Forgot what I was going to write when I quoted you...Oh well.

A Monstrous Spider mount would be quite nice also.

I think a paladin in Silverclawshift's group swapped out his mount for a large monstrous spider in the campain featuring in the Army of Commoners/Horror Campaign thread.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 03:17 PM
Hmm, what about a Crocodile? :smalltongue:

Zenos
2007-12-28, 03:21 PM
Large monstrous scorpion?

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 03:36 PM
Also my character is an (Evil) Aasimar, what kind of fit do you think would fit an evil Aasimar?

What about a Spitting Felldrake? (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Monsters.php?ID=818) if not I suppose I would either go with a Drow Riding Lizard, or a Quicksilver Lizard.

The Faceless
2007-12-28, 04:00 PM
See if you can negotiate a Pegasus, but have its eyes be darker than pitch, it's fanged maw and cracked and blackened hooves drip blood, red streaks rolling down its bone white fur. have it accompanied by the sounds of breaking chains and the wails of small children, its every hoofbeat a sound like a huge rusted iron door slamming shut.

Then name her Princess Froo-froo and braid ribbons (black and red ones, mind you) into her mane.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 04:15 PM
Personally I like the idea of either the Spitting Felldrake or a Crocodile as a mount myself.

SpiderKoopa
2007-12-28, 05:26 PM
Personally I like the idea of either the Spitting Felldrake or a Crocodile as a mount myself.

Oooh. I vote croc. In a certain campaign I was in, our necromancer friend animated a croc corpse and it helped us across a pond, which incidentally, had quicksand at the bottom of it.
So, besides water crossing pretty easily, it also has a nice bite.

Crocodile for the win.

I don't know much about the felldrake on the other hand.:smallconfused:

Parvum
2007-12-28, 05:53 PM
This is why you take small characters. Unleash the fury with weiner dog mounts!

Crocodile would probably have a higher level requirement, due to combat capability (and your GM might just say 'no riding crocs', depending). Still, I'd say it's worth it. Or, if you really want points for style, wait until you can get a T-rex as your mount (and get that feat that makes your mount Fiendish). Because being about the size of your mounts head is concentrated yay. Charge in on Mr. T shouting "I pity tha foo'".

Baron Malkar
2007-12-28, 07:59 PM
I know I saw a black unicorn in one of the monster manuals (cant seem to find it now) but you could treat it like the elven racial sub. level in races of the wild.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 09:16 PM
This is why you take small characters. Unleash the fury with weiner dog mounts!

Crocodile would probably have a higher level requirement, due to combat capability (and your GM might just say 'no riding crocs', depending). Still, I'd say it's worth it. Or, if you really want points for style, wait until you can get a T-rex as your mount (and get that feat that makes your mount Fiendish). Because being about the size of your mounts head is concentrated yay. Charge in on Mr. T shouting "I pity tha foo'".

Well I checked and Croc's only have a CR of 2, so yea.

P.S. the Black Unicorn thing would be cool, but whats the CR of a unicorn?

TheOOB
2007-12-28, 10:51 PM
It's not CR that matters, it's their effectiveness as a paladin mount. CR has no in game effect other then determining XP awards.

Renegade Paladin
2007-12-28, 11:18 PM
I know I saw a black unicorn in one of the monster manuals (cant seem to find it now) but you could treat it like the elven racial sub. level in races of the wild.
Black unicorns are in Monsters of Faerun.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-28, 11:57 PM
A black unicorn would be awesome, but its CR 3, would I have to do anything special to get it (like wait a level?)

Cuddly
2007-12-29, 12:18 AM
You'd need to be higher level for a Nightmare... also they're pretty clichéd... BADASS!!!!!!!

Fixed that for you.

Vazzaroth
2007-12-29, 12:19 AM

Ride a dragon. That's the least cliched mount in existence.:smallannoyed: