PDA

View Full Version : Iterative Attacks, TWF, and Flurry of Blows

Goober4473
2007-12-28, 03:35 PM
I'm looking for a way to deal with multiple attacks in my new setting, but I don't like how 3.x does it, and Star Wars Saga Edition isn't so good either. What are some alternative methods for handling these things?

Indon
2007-12-28, 04:09 PM
I'm looking for a way to deal with multiple attacks in my new setting, but I don't like how 3.x does it, and Star Wars Saga Edition isn't so good either. What are some alternative methods for handling these things?

What don't you like about the versions?

Goober4473
2007-12-28, 04:15 PM
Iterative attacks end up being useless and tale too much time at higher levels. In Saga, you can take a feat to deal extra damage with a penalty, which isn't really much differant from Power Attack.

I'm thinking of adding a bonus to damage based on BAB instead, but I'm not sure what to do with TWF and things like flurry of blows then.

The J Pizzel
2007-12-28, 04:32 PM
Iterative attacks end up being useless and tale too much time at higher levels. In Saga, you can take a feat to deal extra damage with a penalty, which isn't really much differant from Power Attack.

Actually in SAGA there are several different ways of gaining "multiple attacks". I believe what your refferring to is Rapid Shot/Strike, which is a -2 penalty for a +1 die of damage. This is not like Power Attack at all. Now, for actual "multiple attacks" your looking for Double/Triple Attack. Which gives you a second (or third) attack at a -5 (or -10) penalty on a full attack. Or, the Duel Weapon Mastery Tree, which I think is very nicely done, but still cost feats. I like this system beause if you don't want to take any of these feats....

I'm thinking of adding a bonus to damage based on BAB instead, but I'm not sure what to do with TWF and things like flurry of blows then.

it doens't actually hurt your character because you always add half your level to damage. No mater what. So (in my case) my Bothan Scoundrel who hates combat and isn't spending hardly any feats on it, still gets to get progressively better at combat. Instead of getting a second attack at a penalty, I just make one attack and get to add a set number of bonus to damage. I love it.

JP

Goober4473
2007-12-28, 05:19 PM
This is not like Power Attack at all.
An attack penalty for a damage bonus. It's essentially the same thing, but with slightly differant numbers.

The problem with the Saga TWF rules is that it's pretty much useless without the second feat. The first feat lets you do it at a -5 penalty, which means at low level, when you have only this feat, you pretty much aren't going to hit anything.

This is based on 3.5, not Saga, so I actually need to add a damage bonus if there's going to be one, and I think basing it on BAB, not level, makes a lot more sense. Why would a wizard have the same bonus to weapon damage as a fighter? How does 1/2 BAB sound?

SofS
2007-12-28, 10:02 PM
I was considering an alternative to iterative attacks myself recently. I thought something like this might work:

A standard action lets you attack once. A full-round action lets you attack twice or gain a bonus to attack and damage for one attack. Every attack in beyond the first incurs a cumulative -2 penalty to all attacks ( so 10 or 8/8 or 6/6/6 etc.) Two-weapon fighting can turn any one attack into two attacks, incurring both the regular penalties and any penalties for the size of the weapon, and can be used on as many basic attacks (TWF is like the "second tier" of attacks here) as you have available that round (so a standard action for two attacks at -2 each, a full round for four attacks at -6 each, etc.). Other feats/class features would allow for more attacks, always incurring at least -2 to all attacks in that round for each attack.

I don't know if this idea is of any interest to you, but I think that it might have some potential.

Goober4473
2007-12-29, 12:07 AM
That sounds pretty cool. I'll think more about it and maybe post what I come up with.

Cuddly
2007-12-29, 12:29 AM

Why not just give bonuses to hit?