PDA

View Full Version : [OtOoPC spoilers] What is that...thing?

Nidhögg
2007-12-28, 05:21 PM
In the last two panels on page 65 Durkon has found two hirelings that he dismisses. The flying one isn't so hard. An angel, deva or whatever they are called. But the hooded thing with four arms... What kind of being is that? I don't play DnD, so I'm not that familiar with all strange creatures.

monty
2007-12-28, 05:48 PM
You don't need to put a spoiler in your post if it's in the title. And I haven't read OtOotPCs recently, but it's entirely possible that it's a homebrew creature.

boomwolf
2007-12-28, 05:54 PM
Didn't read it, but if it's hooded it might be a thri-kreen. (expended psionic), they got 4 arms.

MR.PIXIE
2007-12-28, 06:01 PM
The flying guy is a solar, or star-mage as i call it.
Just another epic level dude.

David Argall
2007-12-28, 07:13 PM
In the last two panels on page 65 Durkon has found two hirelings that he dismisses. The flying one isn't so hard. An angel, deva or whatever they are called. But the hooded thing with four arms... What kind of being is that? I don't play DnD, so I'm not that familiar with all strange creatures.

They are not especially supposed to be anything but superstuds that Roy would obviously beg to have in his party if he ever saw them instead of not looking before he settled on the losers he had found.

factotum
2007-12-29, 03:32 AM
I kind of got the impression there was supposed to be some sort of in-joke about that pair--e.g. that they're a famous pairing from literature or mythology; it would explain even more so why Roy should have had them in the party rather than the losers he ended up with. Unfortunately I've never been able to figure out who they're supposed to be!

TheWarBlade
2007-12-29, 03:44 AM
They are those kind of characters you could technically play but your DM would never allow since they are overpowered and such. Plus Belkar would be nasty with four arms.

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-29, 03:44 AM
The creature not shown is a Spell Weaver.
A race that ruled the material plane long before even the mind flayers existed.
They reproduce by totally by magical cloning, with each clone having a perfect copy of the memories and personality of the original, when a Spell Waver finally 'dies' it's really just cloning itself for the final time, and it's copies continue it's work.

They are able to cast super complex spells because they can speak in sign language, verbally, and telepathically all at once, with each meathod playing a role.

They had set up a project that would effectively give them the same powers as the divine ranked deities, however either due to a mathmatical miscalculation, or due to the god simply saying "Er, no, this club is by invite only," their galaxy spanning empire was bown to bits.

The survivors of the race, in the here and now, have one of two goals. One, to simply give the younger races created by the gods powerful enough magicial toys so they'll kill each other off, or seeking out pieces of a epic length spell whose pecies were also blown to bits with the end of their empire. This spell was made as a safety measure in case something went wrong, but they didn't know HOW wrong things would go. This spell would, if cast, revert the entire universe back to the point in time BEFORE the disaster occured.

Naturally, there isn't a single non-spell weaver or non-spell weaver created entity that desires this spell's recovery.

Nidhögg
2007-12-29, 05:31 AM
You don't need to put a spoiler in your post if it's in the title.

OK. I just didn't want to break any spoiler rules. :smallsmile:

Nidhögg
2007-12-29, 05:34 AM
The creature not shown is a Spell Weaver.
A race that ruled the material plane long before even the mind flayers existed.
They reproduce by totally by magical cloning, with each clone having a perfect copy of the memories and personality of the original, when a Spell Waver finally 'dies' it's really just cloning itself for the final time, and it's copies continue it's work.

They are able to cast super complex spells because they can speak in sign language, verbally, and telepathically all at once, with each meathod playing a role.

They had set up a project that would effectively give them the same powers as the divine ranked deities, however either due to a mathmatical miscalculation, or due to the god simply saying "Er, no, this club is by invite only," their galaxy spanning empire was bown to bits.

The survivors of the race, in the here and now, have one of two goals. One, to simply give the younger races created by the gods powerful enough magicial toys so they'll kill each other off, or seeking out pieces of a epic length spell whose pecies were also blown to bits with the end of their empire. This spell was made as a safety measure in case something went wrong, but they didn't know HOW wrong things would go. This spell would, if cast, revert the entire universe back to the point in time BEFORE the disaster occured.

Naturally, there isn't a single non-spell weaver or non-spell weaver created entity that desires this spell's recovery.

Sounds like a quite powerful creature. But are they good? Doesn't sound like that from the description. And I assumed that a being who hangs out with an angel/deva/planetar/solar/whatever and storms the gates of hell for fun should be of good alignment.

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-29, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a quite powerful creature. But are they good? Doesn't sound like that from the description. And I assumed that a being who hangs out with an angel/deva/planetar/solar/whatever and storms the gates of hell for fun should be of good alignment.

My money is on renagade or neutral.