PDA

View Full Version : Familiar and Improved Familiar

Conners
2007-12-29, 06:01 AM
This thread is for discussion of the above.

I'm rather confused by these two entries:
Hit Dice

For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.
Hit Points

The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice. The first entry seems completely unimportant, but then I remember spells based on hitdice (assuming it still counts as having that many hitdice).
So, my familiar's max HP is half my character's max HP? Or does it take damage every time I get hit?

JackMage666
2007-12-29, 06:16 AM
It uses the masters Hit Dice for thing like Sleep which effect X hit dice.

Normally, you'd roll Hit Dice for Hit Points, but it's not the case with familiars, you just use the Wizards x 1/2.

For example, you have a 1st level Barbarian, and a 2nd Level Wizard. The Barb has 12 HP, the Wizard has 8. However, the Barb is more susceptible to spells like sleep that only count Hit Dice, not Hit Points.

It's confusing, yes.

Conners
2007-12-29, 07:30 AM
It uses the masters Hit Dice for thing like Sleep which effect X hit dice.

Normally, you'd roll Hit Dice for Hit Points, but it's not the case with familiars, you just use the Wizards x 1/2.

For example, you have a 1st level Barbarian, and a 2nd Level Wizard. The Barb has 12 HP, the Wizard has 8. However, the Barb is more susceptible to spells like sleep that only count Hit Dice, not Hit Points.

It's confusing, yes. Thanks for the explanation.
So then your familiar does take damage as you get damaged then?
A wizard with 8 HP has a familiar with 4 HP (8/2=4). If the wizard takes 2 damage, then he has 6 HP and the familiar has 3 (6/2=3).
Is this how it is?

Ne0
2007-12-29, 07:33 AM
No, the HP is just for determining the Max HP. So in this case, the familiar is still at 4 HP. However, if the wizard would permanently lose a HD, the familiar's HP does drop.

Conners
2007-12-29, 08:18 AM
No, the HP is just for determining the Max HP. So in this case, the familiar is still at 4 HP. However, if the wizard would permanently lose a HD, the familiar's HP does drop. OK, thanks.
EDIT: So.... does the familiar's CON bonus apply to HP?

Ne0
2007-12-29, 08:24 AM
By RAW, no, I believe, but I'm not sure. Probably not, because if you'd apply a CON bonus for every HD to a HP that is actually half of those HD, the difference would be huge.

Feralgeist
2007-12-29, 08:35 AM
what did this have to do with improved familiar....?

Conners
2007-12-29, 08:47 AM
Thanks Ne0.

Well, I wanted to get those questions solved before I went onto any more. With improved familiar it says:
The list in Table: Improved Familiar by Alignment presents only a few possible improved familiars. Almost any creature of the same general size and power as those on the list makes a suitable familiar. So... could I have say, a horse, as my improved familiar?

Ne0
2007-12-29, 09:02 AM
Well, since all of the familiars on those list are small size, and a horse is Large size, I'd say no.

Conners
2007-12-29, 09:12 AM
That's a problem.....

Feel free to discuss Familiars and Improved Familiars.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-29, 09:12 AM
Though maybe a really cool Hippocampus:smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2007-12-29, 09:14 AM
What do you think would be an appropriate level for a Wizard with a Phase Wasp (MMII) as an Improved Familiar? How about an Eyeball beholderkin(MoF)?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-30, 03:44 AM
Well, I wanted to get those questions solved before I went onto any more. With improved familiar it says: So... could I have say, a horse, as my improved familiar?

Depends on your DM and PC level. IMO most "horse" familiars would be less powerful than an IMP, Quasit (3HD), Coure, Musteval or Lantern Archon Special Familiar which all gets lots of specials so most DMs probably won't have a problem with a PC wizard or sorcerer taking a horse instead.

Maybe your DM will let you Call Mount like a Paladin.

Zies
2010-05-18, 07:45 AM
I happen to like weasels as a familiar.

The attach ability is so funny in roleplay situations.

J.Gellert
2010-05-18, 09:07 AM
Sorcerer/Wizard

A sorcerer or wizard might desire a more durable companion to accompany him on excursions into the wilderness.
Gain
Animal companion (as druid; treat sorcerer or wizard as a druid of half his class level).

Lose
Familiar

This could get you a horse. :smallsmile:

WoodenSword
2010-05-18, 02:11 PM
I actually adore Slaymates as familiars...Great necromancy familiars

Edit: Or brain in a jar. Have it be your master's brain...

realbombchu
2010-05-18, 02:57 PM
In Complete Warrior, the hippogriff and winter wolf become options for improved familiars. They are much better than horses. On a side note, if having a familiar is the focus of your concept, you know that hexblades make awesome familiar masters, right?

Greenish
2010-05-18, 03:00 PM
hexblades make awesome familiar masters, right?So do factotums, due to familiars sharing the master's skills. Decent HB and medium BAB don't hurt either.

aphoticConniver
2011-01-11, 07:33 PM
I have a question. I have a Tiny (stop snickering) character. Would it be possible to use just about any Small creature as a mount, provided I had a saddle? He weighs 10 lbs. or so.

Thurbane
2011-01-11, 08:35 PM
It's worth noting that the "HD count as master's" rule also counts for things like templates that grant extra abilities with greater HD. The sample characters for the Alienist (CAr) and Fiend Blooded (HoH) stat blocks back this up. :smallsmile:

nyarlathotep
2011-01-11, 08:45 PM
What do you think would be an appropriate level for a Wizard with a Phase Wasp (MMII) as an Improved Familiar? How about an Eyeball beholderkin(MoF)?

MoF already pins eyeballs at 7 I believe and lets you fire spells through their stall.

I'd say phase wasps are good for 5th.

Urpriest
2011-01-11, 08:45 PM

I believe the Eyeball already has an equivalent level: 5th. See FRCS pg. 35

noparlpf
2011-04-08, 06:37 PM
What about the specials that familiars grant their masters? Alertness is a given for any familiar, but what about the skill or save bonuses? For example, I want to give my 16th level stormcaster a small storm elemental familiar. What kind of skill or save bonus would that grant him?

Thefurmonger
2011-04-08, 06:58 PM
What about the specials that familiars grant their masters? Alertness is a given for any familiar, but what about the skill or save bonuses? For example, I want to give my 16th level stormcaster a small storm elemental familiar. What kind of skill or save bonus would that grant him?

None.

It's a shame but his is the one thing you loose getting the improved familier.

Tho when you look at all the stuff you gain, it falls into the "who gives a crap" file.