PDA

View Full Version : Telekinetic Body (spell)

Umarth
2007-12-29, 04:17 PM
Telekinetic Body
Transmutation
Wiz/Sorc 8
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 Swift Action
Range: Personal
Effect: See Text
Duration: 1 round / level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With a gesture you summon telekinetic energy around yourself granting yourself amazing mental powers. While this spell is in effect you gain:

• +10 deflection bonus to AC
• +10 to attacks
• DR x/- equal to your charisma modifier
• The ability to fly with perfect maneuverability at your normal base speed (maximum height equals your charisma modifier x 5 feet)
• Telekinesis or Fling: spells at will once per round as a swift action.
• Telekinetic Smash: (standard action) all creatures in a 10x10 square suffer 15d6 damage. There is no save to avoid the damage though spell resistance applies normally.
• Slowed Casting: Spells cast while Telekinetic Body is in effect have a minimum casting time of 1 full round.

If you'd like to see a caster based arround these (and other spells) for a low magic world you can review my Revised Adept here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62726&highlight=revised+adept

Refrenced above the Fling Spell.

Fling
Transmutation
Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Swift Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Target creature is thrown back
Duration: Immediate
Saving Throw: No (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a thrust of your hand you send a target creature flying away from you. If the creature fails a strength check (DC equal to ½ your caster level plus charisma modifier) they fly backwards 3d4 x 5 feet suffering 2 points of damage for each 5 feet the are thrown back. If they impact an object that prevents them from moving further they suffer 3 points of damage (rather than 2) for each 5 feet further they should have traveled.

You may only push the target horizontally. Creatures affected by this spell do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

lord of pixies
2007-12-29, 04:57 PM
man that a powerfull spell...:smalleek: ...

Arbitrarity
2007-12-29, 05:24 PM
While the 1 round spellcasting time is a decent drawback, a few complaints.

1) Use of Charisma modifier does not follow precedent of other force spells, like telekenesis and the Hand line. Use casting stat. This improves this spell for wizards, admittedly, but making it only sorceror usable is silly.
2) How many times can the Telekinetic Smash be used per casting? Once? At will? It's the same damage as a Cone of Cold at this level, except irresistable, no-save, and smaller area. Duplicating something like a 6'th, maybe 7'th level spell every round seems to powerful, what with the swift action TK.

This spell duplicates a lot of lesser spell/power effects. It looks to me like a combination of biofeedback (augmented into epic levels), fly (nerfed), at will quickened telekenesis (9'th level spell?), at will quickened fling (7'th level spell), Mental Barrier (augmented far, far into epic), and an Offensive Precognition (augmented into epic levels), as well as a no-save AOE damage spell (at will?). In short, far too much for the minor nerf and spell slot cost. The lack of versitility created by the full-round casting? Yeah, not enough of a nerf.

This feels overpowered, just when I compare to various psionic powers, and spells.

Umarth
2007-12-29, 07:25 PM
1) Use of Charisma modifier does not follow precedent of other force spells, like telekenesis and the Hand line. Use casting stat. This improves this spell for wizards, admittedly, but making it only sorceror usable is silly.

Ah yah it should be the primary casting stat. My worlds only caster uses Cha and I failed to change it when I posted it here.

2) How many times can the Telekinetic Smash be used per casting? Once? At will? It's the same damage as a Cone of Cold at this level, except irresistable, no-save, and smaller area. Duplicating something like a 6'th, maybe 7'th level spell every round seems to powerful, what with the swift action TK.

Telekinetic Smash would be useable at will for the duration. Here was my thinking behind it.

Cone of cold (5th level cone 60' range) deals 15d6 damage (like you said) by the time you can cast this. I figured dramatically reducing the area (and maybe I should reduce it to a single target) would balance out the no save aspect.

I'll probably reduce it to a single target. Do you think that would fix it?

This spell duplicates a lot of lesser spell/power effects. It looks to me like a combination of biofeedback (augmented into epic levels), fly (nerfed), at will quickened telekenesis (9'th level spell?), at will quickened fling (7'th level spell), Mental Barrier (augmented far, far into epic), and an Offensive Precognition (augmented into epic levels), as well as a no-save AOE damage spell (at will?). In short, far too much for the minor nerf and spell slot cost. The lack of versitility created by the full-round casting? Yeah, not enough of a nerf.

This feels overpowered, just when I compare to various psionic powers, and spells.

Hmm.. I'll have to think about this a bit. I balanced it for my homebrew and looking at it with what you mentioned I can see how some abuses could come in once you start adding in magic items and such.