PDA

View Full Version : Favourite villain

Zenos
2007-12-29, 04:47 PM
As a DM, what villains you have designed do you think are the "best".

I haven't actualy played with it, but a divine rank 0, epic-level illithid wizard comes to mind.

Otherwise, I remember having made a fascistic cult in a city who had gone about several murders because the persons murdered were trying to reveal their existence. The reason I like this group of villains is that they were not just dragons, and the PC's had to find out who they were first. When they did, the cult was peacemeal dcut up, bashed into submission and delivered to the authorities.

Balkash
2007-12-29, 07:49 PM
Dunno, mayhap a Drow Ranger/Assassin sent out to kill Drizzit. My PCs tried to stop him... no chance. He sneak attacked the wizard for a kill, then pretty much made a mockery of the cleric. The rogue was killed last, it was almost sickening to realize the Drow had killed the entire party without losing more than a quarter of his HP. (Not to mention, I made really amazing rolls for him, and no matter how hard I tried, the PCs had a suck day with dice. Natural 1s were coming out of the woodwork.)

SadisticFishing
2007-12-29, 08:01 PM
Xavian of the Black Pearl (a cult he started that worshipped him as a God).

LE Grey Elf Lich Wizard 4/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Archmage 2 (CR20,ECL22).

Very Lawful, very evil, to get an army he sent out a call to all mercenaries to join him for good pay. Naturally, he kills them all and (this was before I knew about maximum HD of undead) raises them as a massive skeletal army.

Blah blah blah, 12 levels later, the PCs attempt to kill my 37 int Lich. Naturally, they do not succeed, though I tried as hard as I could not to be cheesy, just mean. Prismatic Sphere ftw. Then, they cornered him (the Pale Master's cohort resurrected them) in a room with an Antimagic field, killed him, and destroyed his "phylactery". Then, after killing the campaign's major BBEG (the Queen), Xavian reappears, uses a Chained Otto's Irresistable Dance, and walked down a staircase to Ascension (long story). Two members of the now Epic group worship him as a God.

Totally Guy
2007-12-29, 08:10 PM
We've got a good one at the moment.

We first encountered a goblin called Kilk after if had been participating in an orcish sport. He was the ball. We healed his wounds and our wild man, who usually bears grudges against goblinoids was willing to use this goblin as a pet as a form of therapy to overcome his hatred of the race.

Kilk repaid us with knowledge of a cave of treasure. We found a large amount of gold bullion. Whilst we were thinking of a way to transport this through an underwater passage and kill the baddie in the water Kilk fled.

He had taken a small circlet.

We transported the gold and fought the water baddie and got out with our haul. Kilk had attracted some orc thugs using the crown. We scanned it for magic, yes, it was low level magic, something like "Orcs that see this circlet know it is genuine". The actual power was cultural, orcs recognised the goblin as their king.

And so Goblin King Kilk rose to power. We damaged his eye but had to flee. Now he controls a nation.

Yami
2007-12-29, 08:51 PM
Well you know how occasionally a party will come along without a cleric? Odd I know, but it happens. So the DM has to provide healing NPC's in towns and the like.

My favorite BBEG was one such 'minor' npc.

We had a golem see (read warforged) with the backsotry that his madman of a creator enjoyed playing god and seeing how his creations turned out.

My BBEG wanted in on this action.

So the party goes about thwarting some other threat (Cult of the Icy Death from some forgotten nation chased into the frozen north ages ago.) getting healing from this 'incompetent' cleric and occasionally just leaving members in his care.

Well, things start going from bad to worse when our friendly golem gets captured three different times whilest under the clerics 'protection', and the party continues to meet previously slain foes in the form of undead creations and flesh golems.

They get paraniod, start mauling everything they kill and burying the peices, which doesn't go over well when a patrol finds them burying the remains of some bandits or somesuch. They then pulp and bury them to.

When the party finally reached the final confrontation with the healer, realized he was the BBEG and being in rather poor condition, they surrendered, offered to join him, and gave up our friend the golem for horrible arcane experiements.

Ahhh good times.

Remind me someday to tell you about the paladin who managed to burn and salt an entire continent someday. PC rather than BBEG so sadly not fit for this thread.

Xefas
2007-12-29, 09:37 PM
A city architect (Transmuter/Geometer) who became a lich and, over the past 70 years, built the capital city of his country into a massive ritual circle for an epic spell. Every block was built in such a way as to emulate a magic rune or the like on a colossal scale.

The material component? All living things within the circle.

He sacrificed millions of people to fire up this one spell, which would funnel all of their life force, in conjunction with the undeniable evil of the act itself, to make him into some deific being.

In the end, the PCs were unsuccessful in their attempt to stop him, and he became a full-fledged god. Dark times, indeed...

JackMage666
2007-12-29, 09:56 PM
I once made a Gnome Bard/Wilder/Cerebremancer. The reason it was such an awesome villian was because it was underestimated, and annoying as could be. The players loathed him, but his spells and powers allow manipulations to be top notch.

Also, same campaign, Feral Human who taught a bunch of gorillas and apes to wield clubs as weapons. That was a scary moment for the PCs, realizing the Apes were non-magical, non-intelligent, and so forth, and they were simple beasts using clubs.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-29, 09:57 PM
The favorite villain of mine that I created was actually something I just finished making. A half-succubus human lich wizard with a tower completely full of portal doors, thanks to his Gate Key. He has undead leadership and basically the epic version of it, and a vampiric half-ogre duskblade for a cohort.
I actually took a note from Elder Evils and had his real tower on the negative energy plane, but thanks to the Gate Key, the front door was set in a decimated tower surrounded by a graveyard.