PDA

View Full Version : Grammaton Cleric an Equilibrium inspired PrC [D20 Modern]

Malek
2007-12-29, 06:34 PM
Important Notes:
1) Sorry for not using the standard OotS forum tables - I never used it before and I'm too tired to learn it right now - maby later. :P Fixed

2) I'm fully aware that the class might be somehwat overpovered - last ability especially. I did my best to keep it fairly balanced, but considering the amount of avesome Equilibrium gunfights have it was hard not to break it too much.

3) If you don't have idea what Equilibrium or Gun Kata is I recomend reading/watching the following before you read and comment on the class:
-the Equilibrium movie if you can get it
-Wikipedia article on the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_(film))
-Wikipedia article on Gun Kata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Kata)
-Some music clips on youtube that show a good share of Gun Kata fighting: Clip 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BRJw99aVkKQ), Clip 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hynqSB8wxTU&feature=related), Clip 3 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6kkToq-JGvM&watch_response).

Grammaton Cleric
"The Gun Katas. through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element.

The Gun Kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire."

Requirements:
To qualify to become a grammaton cleric, a character must fulfill all following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Knowledge (tactics) 4 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Weapon Focus (any firearm of users size or smaller)

Class Information
The following information pertains to the Grammaton Cleric prestige class.

Hit Die
The Grammaton Cleric gains 1d6 hit points per level. The Constitution modifier applies.

Action Points
The Grammaton Cleric gains a number of action points equal to 6 + one-half his character level, rounded down, every time he attains a new level in this class.

Class Skills
The Grammaton Cleric’s class skills are as follows.
Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Investigate, Knowledge (tactics) (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

TABLE 1-1: The Grammaton Cleric
{table=head]Level|BaseAttack[br]Bonus|Fort[br]Save|Ref[br]Save|Will[br]Save|Special|Defense[br]Bonus|Reputation[br]Bonus

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+1|Gun Kata|
+1|
+1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+2|Insightful Accuracy|
+1|
+1

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+2|Flexible Training - 1/Day|
+2|
+1

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+2|Improved Gun Kata|
+2|
+2

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+3|Bullet Rain|
+3|
+2

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+3|Moving Target[br]Flexible Training - 2/Day|
+3|
+2

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+4|Weapon Specialization|
+4|
+3|

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+4|Advanced Gun Kata|
+4|
+3|

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+4|Dance of a Thousand Bullets[br]Flexible Training - 2/Day|
+5|
+3|

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+5|Gun Sau|
+5|
+4[/table]

[b]Class Features
The following aspects pertain to the Grammaton Cleric prestige class.

Important Notice
Unless stated otherwise all abilities of this class require the user to be in Gun Kata stance (see first ability). At first level the Grammaton Cleric chooses a firearm in which he has Weapon Focus feat, that he will spend the rest of his levels specializing into. The firearm will be henceforth referred to as “chosen firearm”.

Gun Kata
While holding his chosen firearm, and being unarmored and unencumbered a Grammaton Cleric can assume a special stance known as Gun Kata as an swift action. While in this stance the Grammaton Cleric adds his intelligence bonus as an insight bonus to his Defense against attacks made with firearms or other ranged weapons. Additionally while in this stance he is automaticly aware of any enemies within 5 feet per class level of him, though any attacks made against enemies out of his sight still have normal miss chance. The stance lasts for duration of the encounter, or until the Grammaton Cleric gets disarmed of his chosen firearm.

Insightful Accuracy
Starting at 2nd level, the Grammaton Cleric gains an insight bonus to attack rolls made with his chosen firearm equal to one half of his class level, rounded down.

Flexible Training
Starting at 3rd level, thanks to broad training, a Grammaton Cleric can use some of his talent with weapons other than his chosen firearm. For number of rounds equal to one-half of his class level plus his intellignence modifier the Grammaton Cleric can apply his Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats and bonuses gained through Gun Kata and Insightfull Accuracy abilities to one melee or ranged weapon he is proficient in (if used with melee weapon Gun Kata’s Defense bonus will apply against melee weapons instead of firearms in such case). This ability is an free action that can be used once per day at 3rd level, twice per day at 6th, and three times per day at 9th.

Improved Gun Kata
At 4th level , the Grammaton Cleric’s mastery of Gun Kata increases – now he can fire at targets within melee range without provoking attacks of opportunity. Alternatively he can use his chosen firearm as a club, that deals his unarmed damage increased by one step. While doing so and retains his normal Insightful Accuracy bonus, but he uses strength to attack as normal for melee attacks. Lastly Defense bonus granted by Gun Kata increases by one.

Bullet Rain
While performing a full attack action with his chosen firearm, a Grammaton Cleric can make an additional attack, but if he does so all attacks in that round suffer a -2 penalty to hit and looses his Insightful Accuracy bonus. At 10th level he can make an additional attack during Bullet Rain.

Moving Target
At 6th level, The Grammaton cleric gains Shoot on the Run feat for free, even if he doesn’t meet the perquisites. If the he also has Two-Weapon Fighting feat and is holding two light firearms he can fire both of them while using Shoot on the Run (normal penalties for two-weapon fighting apply).

Weapon Specialization
At 7th level, the Grammaton Cleric gains weapon specialization with his chosen firearm. The Grammaton Cleric gets a +2 bonus on damage rolls with the chosen weapon. This ability functions even if user is not in Gun Kata stance.

Advanced Gun Kata
At 8th level, the Grammaton Cleric threatens opponents within 5 feet range of him, and can perform attacks of opportunity while in Gun Kata stance. Additionally the Defense bonus granted by the stance increases by another one point, stacking with Improved Gun Kata.

Dance of a Thousand Bullets
By spending an action point, a 9th level Grammaton Cleric can, as a full round action, perform a full attack and move up to his speed at the same time. While doing so he must move at least 5 feet between each two shots. This ability cannot be combined with Bullet Rain, and the user becomes fatigued, if he tries to use it more than once during the same encounter (if he is already fatigued he becomes exhausted and cannot use this ability until he rids himself of exhausted condition).

Gun Sau
At 10th level, the Grammaton Cleric learns a highly advanced technique of close quarters gunfighting. He gains +10 dodge bonus against opponents fireing firearms from within his threat range. Additionally he gains benefits of Agile Riposte feat against such opponents, but he isn’t limited to one riposte per opponent, and can choose to either fire a shot or club with a weapon as per Improved Gun Kata (normal limit of Attacks of Opportunity per round still applies).

Hazkali
2007-12-31, 11:03 AM
Hmm, interesting. A different take from the one I took when doing this, but then I was designing for straight D+D as opposed to modern (See my sig -the Axiomarch).

LunarWolfPrime
2010-02-24, 06:49 PM
I would love to see this used with the Black Rain discipline. That the Demented One made.

LunarWolfPrime
2010-02-24, 07:00 PM
Black Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471518)

Glimbur
2010-02-24, 07:11 PM
Check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7667627&postcount=25) out.

DracoDei
2010-02-24, 07:11 PM
HAve you read BOTH* of the prior attempts to do this on these boards for standard D&D (not modern)?

There may have been more that I missed.