PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Holding Stories

SadisticFishing
2007-12-29, 07:55 PM
Alright, now I've seen some pretty random posts, and I've decided that I need to make one myself. Everyone's used a Bag of Holding for something it's not made for - tell your stories!

Well, I'll start small: we often use Bags of Holding to move people around. 10 minutes? Totally enough time.

Here's my real story: in a volcano, we greased the bottoms of our boots to slide down a very very steep slope. Me, a Human Warblade, and two friends, an elf warlock and a halfling jade phoenix mage, started sliding down. So naturally, the orc crusader throws a massive boulder down at us, and it being a very narrow slope, was a very scary thing. At the bottom of the slope was a convenient (basically) ski-jump - straight up and into the lava of the volcano. One 67 jump check later, I've jumped on top of the boulder and back off it and into my bag of holding. The halfling used Immediate Magic (transmutation) to grow wings, caught the bag, and flew out of the volcano. Good times were had by all.

Your turns!

Forrestfire
2007-12-29, 08:00 PM
well, one of my party members had his bag of holding sewn (sp?) into a hat...and freaked out a lot of townspeople when he was in it up to his feet. "AAAA! a Hat with feet!!"

daggaz
2007-12-29, 08:08 PM
its not quite the same but..

I had a friend who personally really hated gnomes (it was funny), and his barbarian ended up stuffing the party gnome into his bag of devouring.. :smallbiggrin:

lord of pixies
2007-12-29, 08:15 PM
this one i got on this somplace...

sow(sp) a bag of holding into your pants zipper, then unzip your pants reach in and pull out your ten foot pole...(dont hate me plz)

*edit*: also works with: rod of lordly might, quarter staff, amd your great sword)

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-29, 08:21 PM
Tempest Stormwind (of the eponymous fallacy that he described) once hid a bomb factory capable of weapons that dealt billions of d6 of damage in a bag of holding.

littlechicory
2007-12-29, 08:24 PM
Warforged juggernaut + Type 2 Bag of Holding = Good times. We'd just shake him out when the fighting started...

JackMage666
2007-12-29, 08:53 PM
I once killed a wizard who hid away in a Rope Trick by throwing the bag of holding in after him. He stole my kills when I was a Favored Soul of Kord, and then tried to kill me. He deserved it.

FlyMolo
2007-12-29, 08:57 PM
Bags of holding are simply sources for all sorts of abuse. You can kill a tarrasque with em, even. Generate infinite energy. (Put a big heavy rock in a bag of holding. It gets lighter. A fly wheel lifts the bag up. The bag tilts, and a big rock comes out. Flywheel accelerates. some clever mechanical bits, and some gears, and you have a DnD car.)

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-29, 09:04 PM
Um... yeah. :smalleek:

SilentNight
2007-12-29, 09:09 PM
Once in an Eberron campaign the party had to infiltrate a cult. The changeling did so. Once he saw the high priest he opened his bag o' holding. Bam! Out pops my warforged fighter and the rest of our party.

On an unrelated note we then killed the priest using a folding boat.(Throw & enlarge baby.)

Admiral Squish
2007-12-29, 09:10 PM
I saw an interesting idea for a D&D shotgun. Fill a small bag of holding with marbles of blasting pellets, and then punch it inside out. Fifty pounds of marble manifesting in about a cubic foot of space = nigh infinite energy, which in turn = lots of flying marbles moving very, very fast, which = very dead monsters.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-29, 09:13 PM
I saw an interesting idea for a D&D shotgun. Fill a small bag of holding with marbles of blasting pellets, and then punch it inside out. Fifty pounds of marble manifesting in about a cubic foot of space = nigh infinite energy, which in turn = lots of flying marbles moving very, very fast, which = very dead monsters.

Wouldn't turning um... bag of holding inside out (yuk) ruin the very universe you exist in? Aaargh:smallfrown:

SilentNight
2007-12-29, 09:14 PM
wouldn't you need to punch hard enough to propel said 50lbs. of marble?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-29, 09:20 PM
By 'punch' I mean simply turn it inside out. Since it's lighter in the bag, it would be more like punching five pounds of marble.

FlyMolo
2007-12-29, 09:34 PM
Still. Ow. 5 pounds of marble is pretty heavy. And hard. Also, you'd get hit.

There'd be a really small cone directly backwards that was safe.

John Campbell
2007-12-29, 09:58 PM
On an unrelated note we then killed the priest using a folding boat.(Throw & enlarge baby.)
I used my folding boat to bridge a pit a couple weeks ago...

SilverClawShift
2007-12-29, 10:32 PM
Took me a minute to find this. Wrote it a long time ago in another thread.

In this campaign (it was a horror campaign, and our DM is good at horror), I played a bard whos draconic ties didn't manifest in any flashy way, but as raw undilluted greed and a tendency to hoarde like crazy. Plenty of extra-dimensional holding space, plenty of random oddball items that no one in a million years would find useful (our DM LOVES to throw 'useless' magic items at us and watch us figure out a way to make it usefull. One we could never come up with a good use for was a bucket that, when placed on the ground by a sentient creature, would wait for 36 seconds, and then flip upside down (or rightside up). It wasn't strong enough to flip more than liquid contents, or a compareable weight. What the hell do you do with this bucket? aside from pranks on exhausted farmers.)

Anyway.

The BBEG we had our sites set on was a kobold sorcerer lich with permanent reduce-person cast on himself. Yeah. We were hot on the heels of a Tiny sized Kobold Lich. ADVENTURE. EPIC. EPIC ADVENTURE.
His lair turned out to be extra-dimensional. in a kobold village (lot of traps) deep through the kobold tunnels (even more traps) there was an inner sanctum. The inner sanctum had traps, and...nothing else. No lich. No sorcerer. We cast every kind of dispelling/purging/senseing magic we had at our disposale. And all we got was an unbeleivably faint magical aura coming from...
A rabbit hole covered with a rock. Which we managed to widen physically, then magically, and enter.

Our BBEG was a reduced sized kobold lich sorcerer with an extra-dimensional lair hidden in a rabbit hole. Covered in a rock.

Oh ye gods. The horror. The horror.

No. Seriously. The unrelenting gut wrenching terror of moving a single inch.

A question for the gaming community. Do you know what a giant extra-dimensional tower is like after a bored (reduced) kobold lich sorcerer spends 1100 years setting up his defenses?
Traps.

More. Traps.

HORRIBLE traps. Nightmare traps. Traps that, for example, summoned cows and then tore them inside out and showered us in their blood and gore. Why? No tactical reason. JUST TO MESS WITH US. Just to throw us off our game and rattle us and make us wish we weren't there.
This was a COCKY reduced kobold lich sorcerer, and he did not respect his invaders.
And for every 'just to mess with you' trap there were 4 'kill you in creative ways' traps. The rogue caught an average of 2/5, and we wound up wishing he'd catch the non-fatal traps because they were really starting to freak us out. I think the worst was the giant rotting angelic face with golden bird wings that simply screamed, and screamed, and screamed.
So we get to the lich. And this fight is... well, it's hard as hell. But it's also annoying (in a fun way). He's a foot and a half tall, undead, ENTERTAINED BY OUR PRESENCE, and has enough spellslots to do all kinds of horrible things that aren't actually fatal, they're just playing with us.

We're outgunned. By a RKLS (reduced, ect). And not just a little outgunned, he's playing with us, and we KNOW it.

But there's no way our DM would let us get in here and not at least hitn that we were going to a no-win fight, so we start looking for what to do in this situation.
To make an allready long story just a little bit shorter, our rogue and wizard manage to team up while the rest of us distract the little guy, and they.... *drumroll* SET OFF A TRAP :smallfurious:
But it was the win for us, because this trap wasn't supposed to trigger unless the lich lost. He panicked and was flung off into the nothingness as his tower began coming apart brick by brick.

DM: Allright, healbot. Roll a knowledge (the planes) check.
Cleric: Uh? uh. *roll 17* + a lot
DM: You realize the abyss you are currently staring into an an ageless, timeless demiplane of infinite size. Nothing here will die of thirst, old age, or starvation. There's nothing here. You will simply drift forever into the black.
Cleric. Uh.

So we're scrambling for the exit at the base of the tower, as the tower comes apart in random directions. Many stunts, many feats, ect.

At halfway down, we set off... guess. Guess what we set off.
If you guessed 'trap' you get 1/2 point. It was a gravity reversal trap that made us fall up into the ceiling. So now we're working our way up to the bottom of the tower (:smallconfused: ) and we make it, but we also don't.
The rift is too big for us to make it across, and the way the tower is coming apart, trying to float to it will just send us off in random direction. The rogue comes up with a bright idea.
from one of my many bags of stuff, I produce a mithral chain (:smallbiggrin: ). The rogue promises this idea will save us all. They wrap themselves in mithral chain, and here's the idea. I slingshot them to the portal out using the big statue as a counter-point, and then they yank me back to the exit. Except when they get slingshotted up there, and I grab the chain and get prepared to be yanked... nothing. I look up and see the other end of the chain just floating there.

And I drift off into the eternal void of soul destroying nothingness, facing an eternity of losing my mind.

Why? The rogue figures I been stealing more than my fair share of the loot, cause I'm so greedy (I wasn't).

The cleric shouts out that he's sorry, but they can't find a way to get to me without risking themselves, and says something about always remembering me. Gee, thanks. I'm sure that thought'll keep me warm. Out in the eternal nothing. I'd rather go to the 6th level of hell.

The story's not over, and I'm going to wrap it up, but I'm putting the divider up for anyone who's sick and tired of reading this. That's the answer to the threads question. That's the worst thing a player's ever done to me in game.

But, as I said. My story's not done yet...

The Dm gives me the Game-ologists last rites. "Roll up a new character I guess"
Me: No! Wait! I can still do stuff right!
DM: Uh. Sure?
Me: Okay, I, uh. I take off one of my boots and let go.
DM: ...kay. The boot floats off slowly in a random direction. Everything in this INFINITE plane repulses everything else, and the only landmark was destroyed by your party.
Me: I take off my other boot and let it go too!
DM: ...it also floats off randomly.
Me: Goodbye boots! :(
DM: *slaps forhead* Okay. You have fun in the abyss. When you're ready to roll up a new character, I'll weave you back into the game. For now, we're gonna move on.

So there I sit. Tuning out the rest of the party continueing adventuring, moving onto the next higher up on the BBEG scale (A vampire so old the lich was afraid of him). Staring at my character sheet. Humming TAPS.
I kinda zoned out for a while and just relaxed, watching them play and mourning my characters loss. Then I saw it.

"WAIT!" I shout, interupting a random discussion.

DM: Wait for what?
Me: *holding out hands as if there was something there* I HAVE A BAG OF HOLDING.
DM: Yes. Enjoy your worthless loot in the abyss.
Me: I HAVE A PORTABLE HOLE.
DM: ... oh crap?
Players: "???"
Me: IF YOU MIX A PORTABLE HOLE AND A BAG OF HOLDING, STUFF HAPPENS.
Players: Just entertaining yourself in the hoary netherworld then?
Me: No no no! There's two things that happen. You can put a bag in a hole, or the hole into the bag. One way destroys both of them, the other OPENS A RIFT TO THE ASTRAL PLANE AND SUCKS EVERYTHING NEARBY INTO IT.
Cleric: Which does which?
Me: ":D"... "D:"... I don't remember.
DM: *Chuckle*
Me: let me roll a check?! Knowledge arcana?!
Dm: Sure.
Me: *fail* CRAP. What about knowledge, history?
Cleric: WHY would that answer this question?
Me: Cause it has to have come up before at some important time, and maybe I can remember which does which that way.
DM: Sure, roll.
Me: *fail* oh god.

everyone's staring at me at this point. And I'm totally lost in my character for the record. I'm looking back and forth at my hands, trying to decide which to do. Finally, I stuff the portable hole into the bag of holding and pray.
SUCCESS.

I AM NOW IN THE ASTRAL PLANE.

Anyway. Story over. It keeps going, I fought my way to the ethereal plane, haunted my party for a while, managed to kill the rogue, and then found a way onto the material plane and rejoined the rest of the group.

....that was really long.

Sorry.

FlyMolo
2007-12-29, 11:42 PM
That is amazing. Character comes back from the dead FTW. I'm sure there's something you can do with that bucket. Fill it with acid? Put it on top of something and scribble on top "look under bucket for prize" and leave it in a dungeon as a counter-trap? Confuse small children with it?

Lizardfolk Lich
2007-12-29, 11:45 PM
WOW... That really was quite epic.

Wooter
2007-12-29, 11:49 PM
"IF YOU MIX A PORTABLE HOLE AND A BAG OF HOLDING, STUFF HAPPENS." is still the best quote ever.

hyperfreak497
2007-12-29, 11:51 PM
Oh. My. God.

Silver, that was fantastic. I wish I had a playgroup like that...

Admiral Squish
2007-12-29, 11:52 PM

In this campaign (it was a horror campaign, and our DM is good at horror), I played a bard whos draconic ties didn't manifest in any flashy way, but as raw undilluted greed and a tendency to hoarde like crazy. Plenty of extra-dimensional holding space, plenty of random oddball items that no one in a million years would find useful (our DM LOVES to throw 'useless' magic items at us and watch us figure out a way to make it usefull. One we could never come up with a good use for was a bucket that, when placed on the ground by a sentient creature, would wait for 36 seconds, and then flip upside down (or rightside up). It wasn't strong enough to flip more than liquid contents, or a compareable weight. What the hell do you do with this bucket? aside from pranks on exhausted farmers.)

Anyway.

The BBEG we had our sites set on was a kobold sorcerer lich with permanent reduce-person cast on himself. Yeah. We were hot on the heels of a Tiny sized Kobold Lich. ADVENTURE. EPIC. EPIC ADVENTURE.
His lair turned out to be extra-dimensional. in a kobold village (lot of traps) deep through the kobold tunnels (even more traps) there was an inner sanctum. The inner sanctum had traps, and...nothing else. No lich. No sorcerer. We cast every kind of dispelling/purging/senseing magic we had at our disposale. And all we got was an unbeleivably faint magical aura coming from...
A rabbit hole covered with a rock. Which we managed to widen physically, then magically, and enter.

Our BBEG was a reduced sized kobold lich sorcerer with an extra-dimensional lair hidden in a rabbit hole. Covered in a rock.

A question for the gaming community. Do you know what a giant extra-dimensional tower is like after a bored (reduced) kobold lich sorcerer spends 1100 years setting up his defenses?
Traps.

More. Traps.

HORRIBLE traps. Nightmare traps. Traps that, for example, summoned cows and then tore them inside out and showered us in their blood and gore. Why? No tactical reason. JUST TO MESS WITH US. Just to throw us off our game and rattle us and make us wish we weren't there.
This was a COCKY reduced kobold lich sorcerer, and he did not respect his invaders.
And for every 'just to mess with you' trap there were 4 'kill you in creative ways' traps. The rogue caught an average of 2/5, and we wound up wishing he'd catch the non-fatal traps because they were really starting to freak us out. I think the worst was the giant rotting angelic face with golden bird wings that simply screamed, and screamed, and screamed.
So we get to the lich. And this fight is... well, it's hard as hell. But it's also annoying (in a fun way). He's a foot and a half tall, undead, ENTERTAINED BY OUR PRESENCE, and has enough spellslots to do all kinds of horrible things that aren't actually fatal, they're just playing with us.

We're outgunned. By a RKLS (reduced, ect). And not just a little outgunned, he's playing with us, and we KNOW it.

But there's no way our DM would let us get in here and not at least hitn that we were going to a no-win fight, so we start looking for what to do in this situation.
To make an allready long story just a little bit shorter, our rogue and wizard manage to team up while the rest of us distract the little guy, and they.... *drumroll* SET OFF A TRAP :smallfurious:
But it was the win for us, because this trap wasn't supposed to trigger unless the lich lost. He panicked and was flung off into the nothingness as his tower began coming apart brick by brick.

DM: You realize the abyss you are currently staring into an an ageless, timeless demiplane of infinite size. Nothing here will die of thirst, old age, or starvation. There's nothing here. You will simply drift forever into the black.
Cleric. Uh.

So we're scrambling for the exit at the base of the tower, as the tower comes apart in random directions. Many stunts, many feats, ect.

If you guessed 'trap' you get 1/2 point. It was a gravity reversal trap that made us fall up into the ceiling. So now we're working our way up to the bottom of the tower (:smallconfused: ) and we make it, but we also don't.
The rift is too big for us to make it across, and the way the tower is coming apart, trying to float to it will just send us off in random direction. The rogue comes up with a bright idea.
from one of my many bags of stuff, I produce a mithral chain (:smallbiggrin: ). The rogue promises this idea will save us all. They wrap themselves in mithral chain, and here's the idea. I slingshot them to the portal out using the big statue as a counter-point, and then they yank me back to the exit. Except when they get slingshotted up there, and I grab the chain and get prepared to be yanked... nothing. I look up and see the other end of the chain just floating there.

And I drift off into the eternal void of soul destroying nothingness, facing an eternity of losing my mind.

Why? The rogue figures I been stealing more than my fair share of the loot, cause I'm so greedy (I wasn't).

The cleric shouts out that he's sorry, but they can't find a way to get to me without risking themselves, and says something about always remembering me. Gee, thanks. I'm sure that thought'll keep me warm. Out in the eternal nothing. I'd rather go to the 6th level of hell.

The story's not over, and I'm going to wrap it up, but I'm putting the divider up for anyone who's sick and tired of reading this. That's the answer to the threads question. That's the worst thing a player's ever done to me in game.

DM: ...kay. The boot floats off slowly in a random direction. Everything in this INFINITE plane repulses everything else, and the only landmark was destroyed by your party.
DM: *slaps forhead* Okay. You have fun in the abyss. When you're ready to roll up a new character, I'll weave you back into the game. For now, we're gonna move on.

So there I sit. Tuning out the rest of the party continueing adventuring, moving onto the next higher up on the BBEG scale (A vampire so old the lich was afraid of him). Staring at my character sheet. Humming TAPS.
I kinda zoned out for a while and just relaxed, watching them play and mourning my characters loss. Then I saw it.

Me: *holding out hands as if there was something there* I HAVE A BAG OF HOLDING.
Me: No no no! There's two things that happen. You can put a bag in a hole, or the hole into the bag. One way destroys both of them, the other OPENS A RIFT TO THE ASTRAL PLANE AND SUCKS EVERYTHING NEARBY INTO IT.
Me: Cause it has to have come up before at some important time, and maybe I can remember which does which that way.

everyone's staring at me at this point. And I'm totally lost in my character for the record. I'm looking back and forth at my hands, trying to decide which to do. Finally, I stuff the portable hole into the bag of holding and pray.
SUCCESS.

Anyway. Story over. It keeps going, I fought my way to the ethereal plane, haunted my party for a while, managed to kill the rogue, and then found a way onto the material plane and rejoined the rest of the group.

Sorry.
That is easily the most AWESOME story I have EVER HEARD. You need to get a MEDAL for that.

13_CBS
2007-12-29, 11:56 PM
...that does it. Silverclawshift gets a new title, "Storyteller in the Playground". No arguments.

Lizardfolk Lich
2007-12-30, 12:04 AM
"IF YOU MIX A PORTABLE HOLE AND A BAG OF HOLDING, STUFF HAPPENS." is still the best quote ever.

Oh yeah, without a doubt.

ealan
2007-12-30, 12:23 AM
So I have a few... but I'll just give one cause I like it... and I am not wonderful at narrating...

Evil Dwarven Warlock and party vs 1,000 orcs...
Start in village, standstill and the party isn't faring well. did I mention it was a village filled with archers with no bows... ok now that we cleared that up. We have no ideas from party leader, fine w/e, we followed you enough. I being a complete odd ball take and steal the 3 party bag of holdings (BOH) 1 type 3 and 2 type 4s. (Invisable me) I proceed to gather every arrow in the village... I filled 1 type 4 with mundane arrows, me not knowing nor caring, the type 3 with arrows and bolts of something or other, ever random arrow and bolt that had magical properties possible, and the other type 4 with lotsa rocks... Ok why I thought this could work, I think I have enough. go find the wizard...

Me: hey how do I get things to spread out...
Wizard(He dislikes me): I don't know go high enough and drop them and hope...
Me: Ok then bye...

Proceeding to leave town straight up. DM did not understand till he realized I had leveled up... and that I could fly... (We didnt have to tell). I proceed as high as the dm thought was possible. Thus the "Evil" Dwarven Warlock starts turning his stole BOH inside out over this town... rocks and **** first. Well nothing happened, so the type 3 and then following the other type 4. nothing was happening... so i started going down... well I didn't wait long enough about half way down... I guess I got high... the town kinda just spread out and alot of red stuff showed up on the ground. Well that was cool, I thought, 12 seconds later, a lot of magic happens, well I guess the party got around to fighting again... and that was all I thought as I descend. I reach the ground, the DM asks "where do you want to land, there is no village, and no ground without an arrow in it..."
Me: What?
DM: Well your party took epic damage for the spread of 3000 rocks covering the town and the orcs, and then the 6666 magical arrows that did random effects over the area killed everything, 10000 non-magical arrows to top it all off for over kill. Even at 1 damage per non-magical object, everyone is flat-footed, and the magic damge should kill everything considering the area... good job killing the orcs this was suppose to be a diplomacy thing and the plot hook...
Me: Oh... Any good loot, I have 3 BAH...

Now my favorite thing to do is carry a BAH full of Alchemical Fire.... try it if you wish, it makes good forest fires when fighting treants...

John Campbell
2007-12-30, 01:17 AM
I read that story on the other thread where it was first posted, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. It is made of pure, unalloyed win.

I dunno. For some reason, I find, "Goodbye boots! :(" to be hilarious.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-30, 06:12 PM
...i feel sorry for whsatever sap has to follow that story, silver storyteller itp.
wait. i have a story! crap.

well, here it is. in this situation, i am the DM, reorith is the paladin, and we have a dwarf wizard. in the previous dungeon, one of the players died and so he rolled up a new guy, multiclass ranger/cleric. twf divine blaster, fun stuff. anyways, the four of us decided to roleplay being in the market.

Me: alright, its a buisy marketplace. the northerners have some wares, you see a few shops with oriental folks from the eastern isle, but there is a large amount of family-based traveling merchants who make this their last stop before winter.

R/C:i look for a magic item shop
me:well, amongst other places you see a dwarf and gnome team who have an open-air stall. they are doing alot of calling and talking, trying to interest buyers.
R/C:i go and buy stuff. do they have [item he was looking for]
me: yes they do. the gnome sees you eyeing it and calls you over, milking up the worth of it to any good adventurer.
[transaction takes place]
RC: i try to use [item]
me: it doesnt work
palidin: those guys swindled you! ::turns back to the stall:: forsooth, hethens! can you give this guy back his cash?
me: the dwarf and gnome see you coming, grab what they can and dash off in the croud
paladin: i summon my mount, hop on, and charge them
RC: i follow the party leader
me: ok, you are catching up, but slowly. being the type of guy you are, you wont bowl over people with your mount, and the crowd is making it hard.
wizard: i step out of the bar.
me: ok, you can see the gnome and dwarf running towards you. you can also see that the palidin and RC are coming to get them
wizard: i block their path
me: sure. they can tell by your cloths that you are an adventurer, and a wizard at that. your pseudodragon also intimidates them, weak as they are. the three of you have them cornered.
palidin: hey, chill guys. give this dude back his cash, and come with us to the proper authorities. if you cooperate, i could put in a good word
me: "fine" says the dwarf. he tosses a bag that sounds like its full of gold
pali, ooc: sounds?
RC: i pick it up and take back my gold
wizard, ooc: NO DONT!
me: make a reflex save. failed? now make a grapple. failed? the bag you reached in started by sucking in your hand and now it is eating the rest of you. from the waist up you are in an extradimensional space.
RC: crap. i dont want to make a new character!!!
wizard: i got it. go, anti-magic field! (it was a magical item that they could turrn on)
me: you... you turn on an anti-magic field?
wizard: yes?
me: with scott halfway in the bag of holding?
wizard: stop messing with my head, yes,, i do.
me: alright, the bag falls off of him
wizard: oh, good
me: all thats left of him is his waist down. you splinched him.
RC: WHAT!?!?!?!
me: your upper half is floating around that extra-dimensional space
palidin: alright, i'm taking over. wizard, turn it off. you, peasant ::coin:: find the nearest lawful good high-ranking cleric and bring him,, quick!
wizard: ok, i have some rope, can i shove one end in?
me: sure, but how will it actually get to him?
wizard: sorry buddy ::grabs pseudodragon familiar, ties it, and shoves it in
RC: do i see it?
me: yes, and it sees you. it goes to you and you can grab on
RC: i tug it.
me: wizard, you feel it
pali: is it cool if while that happened i tied it to my mount for an anchor?
me: sure. strength check to pull ::roll:: your cool, he and the familiar are out, safe and... well, safer than they were. RC, you are bleeding perfusly over the market street. oh, and the cleric arives. seeing the mess, she gasps. she tells you that no amount of healing will save this, and reatatchment spells are not complex enough to reatatch organs.
pali: i chop his head off
rest of us: WHAT?!?!
pali: well, i didnt so much as decapitate him as turn him into a pez despencer.
me: and why shouldnt i make you fallen here and now?
pali: see, if we kill him and pool the money we can have him raised fine, but if we left him like this he would have suffered and died. ::skandalized looks:: ok, i check with him beforre i do it.
RC: fine. sounds good
pali: cool ::coup de grace::
wizard: i did the math. i dont think we have enough for a raise spell.
RC: WHAT?!?!?! IT WAS JUST A FRIGGIN TRIP TO THE MARKETPLACE!!! WHAT THE #&%$(*#$^%!!!!!! THE #($ %(#* MARKET!
me: oh, and in the comotion, the dwarf and gnome slipped off. just like they planned.

Lolzords
2007-12-30, 06:57 PM

Bloody hell, nice story there silver, if you don't mind, I think I'll be carrying a portable hole and a bag of holding with me forever now. :smallsmile:

Aquillion
2007-12-30, 07:17 PM
...i feel sorry for whsatever sap has to follow that story, silver storyteller itp.
wait. i have a story! crap.

well, here it is. in this situation, i am the DM, reorith is the paladin, and we have a dwarf wizard. in the previous dungeon, one of the players died and so he rolled up a new guy, multiclass ranger/cleric. twf divine blaster, fun stuff. anyways, the four of us decided to roleplay being in the market.

Me: alright, its a buisy marketplace. the northerners have some wares, you see a few shops with oriental folks from the eastern isle, but there is a large amount of family-based traveling merchants who make this their last stop before winter.

R/C:i look for a magic item shop
me:well, amongst other places you see a dwarf and gnome team who have an open-air stall. they are doing alot of calling and talking, trying to interest buyers.
R/C:i go and buy stuff. do they have [item he was looking for]
me: yes they do. the gnome sees you eyeing it and calls you over, milking up the worth of it to any good adventurer.
[transaction takes place]
RC: i try to use [item]
me: it doesnt work
palidin: those guys swindled you! ::turns back to the stall:: forsooth, hethens! can you give this guy back his cash?
me: the dwarf and gnome see you coming, grab what they can and dash off in the croud
paladin: i summon my mount, hop on, and charge them
RC: i follow the party leader
me: ok, you are catching up, but slowly. being the type of guy you are, you wont bowl over people with your mount, and the crowd is making it hard.
wizard: i step out of the bar.
me: ok, you can see the gnome and dwarf running towards you. you can also see that the palidin and RC are coming to get them
wizard: i block their path
me: sure. they can tell by your cloths that you are an adventurer, and a wizard at that. your pseudodragon also intimidates them, weak as they are. the three of you have them cornered.
palidin: hey, chill guys. give this dude back his cash, and come with us to the proper authorities. if you cooperate, i could put in a good word
me: "fine" says the dwarf. he tosses a bag that sounds like its full of gold
pali, ooc: sounds?
RC: i pick it up and take back my gold
wizard, ooc: NO DONT!
me: make a reflex save. failed? now make a grapple. failed? the bag you reached in started by sucking in your hand and now it is eating the rest of you. from the waist up you are in an extradimensional space.
RC: crap. i dont want to make a new character!!!
wizard: i got it. go, anti-magic field! (it was a magical item that they could turrn on)
me: you... you turn on an anti-magic field?
wizard: yes?
me: with scott halfway in the bag of holding?
wizard: stop messing with my head, yes,, i do.
me: alright, the bag falls off of him
wizard: oh, good
me: all thats left of him is his waist down. you splinched him.
RC: WHAT!?!?!?!
me: your upper half is floating around that extra-dimensional space
palidin: alright, i'm taking over. wizard, turn it off. you, peasant ::coin:: find the nearest lawful good high-ranking cleric and bring him,, quick!
wizard: ok, i have some rope, can i shove one end in?
me: sure, but how will it actually get to him?
wizard: sorry buddy ::grabs pseudodragon familiar, ties it, and shoves it in
RC: do i see it?
me: yes, and it sees you. it goes to you and you can grab on
RC: i tug it.
me: wizard, you feel it
pali: is it cool if while that happened i tied it to my mount for an anchor?
me: sure. strength check to pull ::roll:: your cool, he and the familiar are out, safe and... well, safer than they were. RC, you are bleeding perfusly over the market street. oh, and the cleric arives. seeing the mess, she gasps. she tells you that no amount of healing will save this, and reatatchment spells are not complex enough to reatatch organs.
pali: i chop his head off
rest of us: WHAT?!?!
pali: well, i didnt so much as decapitate him as turn him into a pez despencer.
me: and why shouldnt i make you fallen here and now?
pali: see, if we kill him and pool the money we can have him raised fine, but if we left him like this he would have suffered and died. ::skandalized looks:: ok, i check with him beforre i do it.
RC: fine. sounds good
pali: cool ::coup de grace::
wizard: i did the math. i dont think we have enough for a raise spell.
RC: WHAT?!?!?! IT WAS JUST A FRIGGIN TRIP TO THE MARKETPLACE!!! WHAT THE #&%$(*#$^%!!!!!! THE #($ %(#* MARKET!
me: oh, and in the comotion, the dwarf and gnome slipped off. just like they planned.Technically, I'm not sure bags of devouring work like that when put in an AMF. They aren't really magical items; they're part of an extradimensional creature. The effect of putting them in an AMF would depend on whether or not the creature's ability to extend part of itself into our dimension is Ex or Su... which isn't described anywhere. And even if it is Su, I'm not sure the effect of putting it in an AMF would work entirely like that. It might make the bag wink out of existance entirely, say (since the creature can no longer extend itself into our plane).

CabbageTheif
2007-12-30, 07:40 PM
but it wasnt. i made a slightly different cursed bag of holding, which works exactly like that. imagin what would happen with a pair of ring gates in an amf; but instead of rings, there is the outside of the bag and the 'inside' of the bag. it was desinged by a rich wizard to try and kill any pesky theives who would steal from him.

Trenelus
2007-12-30, 08:08 PM
Throught some plot twist and all, our party happens to get the artifact Crown of Horns which contains the soul of now dead god of death Myrkul (we play mainly in Forgotten Realms). Elenia, Paladin/Favored Soul of Torm empties her bag of holding and drops crown there, then next she throws the bag in air only to slash it in half with her magical greatsword.
Big explotion, bringind last time suffering to people by fast flying remains that cut throught people. Then Myrkul was no more.

InkEyes
2007-12-30, 08:37 PM
Long story ending in portable holes and bags of holding

You would have made an opening to the Astral Plane either way

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.

It's just that one way a rift is torn that you have a choice in entering, and the other way you're pulled in through a gate.

For the topic on hand: one time we were very low-level in a high fatality campaign. When one of our characters died (a minotaur) we stuffed him into a Bag of Holding to see if we could bring him back to life when we go into a town. This bag was a recent recovery from a dragon and we assumed it was a Bag of Holding because we stuck the Kender (an entire race of kleptomaniac halflings) in and the bag didn't eat him. As a reward for his stupidity bravery he got to keep the bag. Flash forward a few days and we're in a forest grove partying with some fey. The Kender is eating and relieving the table of its silverware when he feels his Bag of Holding moving. He opens up the bag and find our Minotaur alive and deeply confused. What does he do then? Well, he climbs into the bag to chat with the increasingly irate minotaur. We spot the Kender disappear into his own Bag of Holding and haul him out by his nose and are shocked to find our minotaur alive. It turns out the Bag of Holding was actually a Body Bag of True Resurrection. We were level 7 at the time. Sadly, it didn't stop our party from TPKing.

SilverClawShift
2007-12-30, 09:36 PM
...that does it. Silverclawshift gets a new title, "Storyteller in the Playground". No arguments.

:smallredface:

Bloody hell, nice story there silver, if you don't mind, I think I'll be carrying a portable hole and a bag of holding with me forever now. :smallsmile:

Every group should carry everything you can get your hands on, ever, always. There's no telling what crazy situation you'll need some crazy item to get you out of.
The real question is ,will you remember you have it in time to save your butts? :smalltongue:

You would have made an opening to the Astral Plane either way

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost.

Yeah, both ways involve the astral plane going "Upset Stomach" on your equipment. But the way I read that, is that putting a bag of holding into a portable hole destroys both of them neatly.
Which would have left me floating while my gear went bye-bye.

goken04
2007-12-30, 10:19 PM
Not a bag of holding, but it is an interesting use of an extra-dimensional space.

I was playing an evil wizard (level 7 or 8) and the other member of the party who was present for the session was a big, dumb, neutral tank (of some sort) who I'd long since trained to follow my orders. We were on the way to meet with the Mayor of some town who wanted to hire us to retrieve an item for him. Unbeknownst to him, we needed the item for our own purposes, but had no idea where it was and the Mayor was going to tell us.

We were supposed to meet a caravan of people who would take us to the town, as we'd never been there before. When we arrive, the caravan was under attack by trolls. We cleaned the trolls up only to discover that EVERYONE in the caravan is dead already. When searching through the wagons, we find a child who is alive and hiding. We talk to the child and find out his parents were just killed and he hid in there, but he does know how to get back to the town.

So the kid comes with us back to the town, and my character takes a real liking to him, talking about how he'll teach the kid magic and he can be his new apprentice and the kids pretty excited about it. When we finally get back to town, though, the kid wants to go back to his aunt's house and tries to leave. But we, not entirely sure we could trust the Mayor, didn't want anyone alerted to our presence yet.

So we're waiting in a tavern for the time our meeting is supposed to be and, when neither of us were paying attention, the kid suddenly changes shape and bolts out the door. We catch up with him outside, in an alleyway, and discover he's a gnome. At this point the brute has him grappled and we realize he's a gnome spellcaster (tried to cast a spell while grappled). He won't answer any of our questions (like who he was or why he deceived us), so the brute knocks him out. We know, by now, the town is xenophobic and, as outsiders, we'll likely get thrown in jail (at least) for attacking a member of the town (assuming the gnome is). So, what's my solution to not getting caught? I have the brute look out and, while no one is near the alley, slit the gnome's throat and throw him up in a rope trick, tossing the rope up after him. I figured our meeting with the mayor (in 2 hours), wouldn't last another 5, so 7 hours would be plenty long enough to hide the body until we were long out of town. It worked, too! Which is especially good when the Mayor asked us if we were sure everyone in his caravan died, even his personal gnome wizard advisor. We assured him his gnome was a goner.

BRC
2007-12-31, 02:25 AM
I once hid in a bag of holding to avoid an avalanche.

InkEyes
2007-12-31, 10:41 AM
:smallredface:
Yeah, both ways involve the astral plane going "Upset Stomach" on your equipment. But the way I read that, is that putting a bag of holding into a portable hole destroys both of them neatly.
Which would have left me floating while my gear went bye-bye.

Eh, the wording on that is really vague. It doesn't even state how long the gate/rift stays open! Either way your story was cool and you deserve lots of cookies.

BlackRabite
2007-12-31, 11:05 AM
My group and I played an evil campaign not too long ago, we were a family of gnomes. Towards the end of the campaign I successfully turned myself into a lich and then turned the rest of my family into vampires.

Whenever we were in town and got bored or in a dungeon and had the extra time my brother (Vampire Rogue) would sneak into a room/inn and leave my bag of holding laying on a table with myself hiding inside. We would lie in wait for hours until someone opened the bag, I would then jab them in the eyes with the paralyzing touch. Usually someone else would come over to investigate my first victim and would get the eye poke as well. We called it our "Lich in a bag" trick and we did it all the time.

It's amazing how much fun you can have with an all gnome Lich + Vampire squad campaign.

Burley
2007-12-31, 02:08 PM
It all started when my party (Elven Druid, Some-sort-of-dragon-blood rogue/sorcerer, and Human Warlock (Fey brand, not demon)) were invited behind some tavern to speak with some people. Turns out to be some cult trying to turn everything living and dead into undead. So, we kill all but one, and take him back to our room at the inn to interogate him. (My warlock did so many subdual clubbings...it was awesome.)
Well, he says that he won't exchange his freedom for information, because he's afraid of what his superiors will do if they catch him. So, we promise to kill him, cause they worse that'll happen is he'll get zombified, which is his goal in life, anyways. Well, we didn't wanna kill him in the room, so, we get our info and offer him a last meal and junk. As soon as I untie him, he makes a grapple-check for my throat. Luckily, once initiative is rolled, the Dragon-Blood-something-or-other chick uses her [Cold] Breath Weapon and freezes him before the DM has a chance to draw out the room. :P (He had so few hitpoints and she rolled so darn high, the DM decided to turn him into a Cult-Pop.) Well, you never know when a frozen guy may come in handy, so, we shove in the good ol' Bag o' Holdin'.
Later on, after my warlock rescues an orphan from an elemantal slave-lord, we decide to keep her as a cohort...sorta-pet/mascot. Anyways, while clothing her, we have her get some things from the Bag of Holding. I dunno why the DM decided "She was thinking of a frozen man when she reaches in," because she pulls a frozen man out. Tough time explaining that we're all good characters.
After all that jazz, we find ourselves in some sort of dimensional nexux-hub thingy-majigger. (The campaign is all about planar travel.) This is apparently where people go when planar travel goes wrong. And, it must happen a lot, because we ended up fighting swarms of cannibals.
Guess what saved us...
Well, a giant spider actually...
But!!! Guess what bought us a couple of rounds to heal up...

Frozen guy in the Bag of Holding. Oh, yeah.

Seriously, if it's within your means, I highly suggest picking one up. Frozen guys are sooo cherry.:smalltongue:

F.L.
2008-01-01, 12:45 AM
Frozen guy in the Bag of Holding. Oh, yeah.

The correct term is corpsicle. Please try to remember it.

debrutsid
2009-07-02, 10:30 PM
bar-none that was one of the funniest stories ive seen in a long time thanks for sharing that

Anyway.

Traps.

More. Traps.

Cleric. Uh.

SUCCESS.

Sorry.

yilduz
2009-07-02, 10:45 PM
My DM once found PrCs for all of the 8-bit theater characters. We thought it would be a lot of fun to play them, but my DM made the characters so they'd actually be what the characters were supposed to be. Because of the prerequisites for the PrCs, we started at level 11. My character was Thief (Rogue 10/Thief 1).

We were all fans of the comic so we were able to stay in character, but we probably went overboard on a few things. I stole everything (the King's crown, doorknobs, signs, everything), and of course, put them in my bag of holding.

Black Belt's twisted reality somehow ended up dropping us in a lake. We were all failing our swim checks horribly, so I said to the DM "I steal the lake". In the spirit of the utterly nonsensical game, my DM said "okay."

I opened my bag of holding and the entire lake flowed into the bag, leaving us wet and laying in a giant empty mud hole. As we were getting up to leave, a shark poked his head out of the bag and said "Hey. We were kind of living there and this in incredibly inconvenient. Do you think you could put the lake back?" I figured that all the lake animals would die if I didn't and I'd have dead animals inside my massive bag of holding, so I dumped the lake back where it was. The rest of the party was still in the mud hole (because they were fighting about something) as I did it and they were washed away.

It was a pretty fun game.

quick_comment
2009-07-02, 10:48 PM
Bags of holding + necklace of adaptation is great for holding frenzied berserkers in.

Thane of Fife
2009-07-02, 10:50 PM
Once in an Eberron campaign the party had to infiltrate a cult. The changeling did so. Once he saw the high priest he opened his bag o' holding. Bam! Out pops my warforged fighter and the rest of our party.

You don't actually need a Bag of Holding for that. Just a really good Escape Artist check. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=968684)

Frogwarrior
2009-07-02, 11:19 PM
So, my last campaign was a bit... non-serious. The final boss battle was against a humongously powerful Black Dragon, but we'd just found the Heart of Garl Glittergold, so we weren't exactly playing by the rules - Warlock got knocked to -100 HP, said "I'm dead" - DM countered "No, you aren't."

Basically, we just figured out ridiculous and chaotic things to do (paint a mustache on his face, summon the Stay-Puft man and set him on fire, etc).

Well, I remembered out Portable Hole that had a fortress inside (with the most disgustingly chaotically decorated interior - seriously, don't ask). The gnome vigilante, who was pretty much party leader especially because he personally had the Heart, was carrying it - I told him to take everything valuable out and throw it down the beast's gullet. Then, followed it with my Handy Haversack.

Extradimensional space + extradimensional space = win.

(Well, actually, it just hurt it and turned it ethereal. But still.)

Ianuagonde
2009-07-03, 05:37 AM
We use them whenever a player can't make it to a session but we still want to play.

Player 1: "So how did my character travel the same 40 miles through dragon country?"
Player 2: "We put you in the bag of holding".

You just need to remember to open it every once in a while for air.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-03, 10:49 AM
bar-none that was one of the funniest stories ive seen in a long time thanks for sharing that

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't resurrect old threads (see: thread necromancy in the Forum Rules).