PDA

View Full Version : Would you like this feat?

Frosty
2007-12-29, 08:45 PM
Comments are welcome. I'd like reasons as to allow or disallow this feat for both PCs and enemies.

Swift Dancer

You have applied the hit-while-running tactics learned from scouting to your dancing abilities.

Prerequesite: Skirmish 2d6/+2 AC
Benefit: Your Scout and Dervish levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage and AC bonus to Armor Class granted when skirmishing. For example, a 8th level Scout/1st level Dervish would deal an extra 3d6 points of damage and gain a +2 competence bonus to AC (as well as an additional +1 bonus to damage and to-hit if she were wielding a scimitar) as if she were a 9th level Scout.

Your Fast Movement speed bonuses from your Scout and Dervish levels also stack with each other.

In addition, You may make trip attempts with any light slashing melee weapon. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Special: A Scout can select Swift Dancer as one of her scout bonus feats.

JackMage666
2007-12-29, 08:50 PM
Feat usable only between a specific class and a specific PrC? That basically means it's required for that build. I'd say it's overpowered, because you're basically making going Dervish have no drawbacks for a Scout.

Frosty
2007-12-29, 08:54 PM
Well, you'd lose out on the bonus feats, the Battle fortitude bonuses, Hide in Plain Sight, Free Movement, and Blindsight. Plus, you have to waste 3 feats on craptacular stuff like Dodge, Mobility, and Weapon Focus.

JackMage666
2007-12-29, 09:00 PM
It's really up to you - The skirmish damage will shoot skyward, especially with the Dervishes ability to make so many attacks.

Dervish is already a wonderful choice for scouts, this just makes it even better.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-29, 09:01 PM
It's rather broken, I'd say.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-29, 09:03 PM
Your Fast Movement speed bonuses from your Scout and Dervish levels also stack with each other.

In addition, You may make trip attempts with any light slashing melee weapon. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Drop those three..and you have a new form of 'Aestic' kinda thing...

Yami
2007-12-29, 09:07 PM
eh, no worse than the skirmish rouge tactic.

I'd be all over it but then my scout build already had the prereqs but felt tempest wasn't good enough to take as a PrC. And really, alone it isn't. Dervish is another one what I think should benifit from this feat.

Frosty
2007-12-29, 09:17 PM
It's really up to you - The skirmish damage will shoot skyward, especially with the Dervishes ability to make so many attacks.

Dervish is already a wonderful choice for scouts, this just makes it even better.

Well here's the thing. Someone in my group is wishing to go into Dervish (a cool, but rather unimpressive class when compared to the rest of the party I feel)...while the rest of the group is a Druid, Iot7V, Pounce Barbarian with Shock Trooper.

I've got an idea for a great recurring villain to harass the party. She would be a Dervish, but I had felt the Dervish just lacked in the oomph department. Was just gonna go with another more powerful class combintion and keep the fluff, but I thought perhaps this custom feat might be just the thing.

Yami
2007-12-29, 11:06 PM
I think it could be, and I don't think it's any more broken than any of the other feats the players have access to. Yes it's stronger than dodge, but most feats are.

I've looked at the dervish class and it's just not really apealling when you set it up next to further scout levels. I'm sorry, but I feel PrC's are something people should be interested in. Go with it!

Wordmiser
2007-12-30, 03:04 AM

Drop those three..and you have a new form of 'Aestic' kinda thing...

If you're saying that without those three features this would be a perfectly good feat, I second this statement.

If the word "and" is being used to signify something else, I still support the statement I originally interpretted.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-30, 06:20 AM
We have a homebrew forum for this sort of thing do we not?

I think this sort of feat shoudn't be used with Prcs, especially not one of the few decent ones.

weenie
2007-12-30, 07:21 AM
Since we're discussing dervish, do you think you could use whirlwind attack while in a dervish dance? That would kinda kick ass against a high number of opponents :smallbiggrin:

Treguard
2007-12-30, 07:27 AM
I think this sort of feat shoudn't be used with Prcs, especially not one of the few decent ones.

I agree. The concept is nice, and in a similar vein to the Complete Scoundrel feats, but unlike those feats it's marrying a prestige class to a base class instead of two base classes. IMO they should be kept separated.

Amras Seer
2007-12-30, 07:50 AM
Add some AoE attacks, a dervish dance, with that feat.

With a little tweaking it looks pretty nice.

Frosty
2007-12-30, 12:33 PM
Whirlwind Attack is a full-round action. So you can do one per round while in dervish dance.

As for the Dervish itself, do you guys think it's fine or it needs some work? I'm thinking maybe A Thousand Cuts needs to have its uses bumped up. Either it can be used once per encounter, or it can used once, and then the Dervish must spent a swift action to concentrate and immediately follow it up with an attack or a full-round attack or a dervish-dance attack to "recharge" it.