PDA

View Full Version : Without Celerity, How Good is Foresight?

Crow
2007-12-29, 09:51 PM
Like the thread title says; Using just the Core SRD, how useful is Foresight to the Batman Wizard? What can batman do to put this spell to good use?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-29, 09:57 PM
Well, not being able to be flat-footed means acting in the surprise round regardless of celerity or not. It also makes it more difficult to be Sneak Attacked.

RandomFellow
2007-12-29, 10:14 PM
Like the thread title says; Using just the Core SRD, how useful is Foresight to the Batman Wizard? What can batman do to put this spell to good use?

That depends on whether or not you have a decent Dexterity score. Flat-footed is murder when you rely heavily on having high dexterity to get you that extra 4-5 points of AC to move you from 'almost auto hit' to 'reasonably armored'. And if your party is surprised, there is a good chance you'll lose that for 2 rounds.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-30, 12:42 AM
Not good enough to warret it's 9th level slot, these being the greatest magic any subepic caster can access a low intensity "spider-sense" just doesn't match up to Disjunction, Imprisonment, Teleport Circle, True Ressurrection and those are the unbroken ones

Parvum
2007-12-30, 12:48 AM
I like the non-mechanical advantage. Let's face it, thought is bad. With fore-sight, you'll never have to think again! "Run, duck, less, more"... it will tell you just what you need to do to stay alive.

Screw trap sense.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-30, 10:38 AM
Its not worth 9th level slot but its still useful for them.

FinalJustice
2007-12-30, 11:15 AM
I also like it for the non-mecanical advantage 'there's danger coming, DUCK!', 'dude, a duck isn't dangerous' 'BAM!'. But it's always good to clear to your DM that you are using a 9th level spell for a spidey sense, and that crunch-wise the spell sucks, so it would be nice to make this sense useful, since he's the one who'll give the warnings.
And I really think Foresight could last hour/level, since it's already so underpowered when compared to Wish, Gate, Shapechange, etc...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-30, 02:32 PM
Pretty useful since Contingency is core (Things like Invisibility, Mirror Images, Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Teleport, Gaseous Form or Polymorph Self and plenty of other spells to choose from).

Curmudgeon
2007-12-30, 02:51 PM
I think it's OK as an 8th level spell (Cleric with the Time domain). Probably not at 9th level.

Crow
2007-12-30, 03:36 PM
A Contingency using "When I cast Featherfall" seems to make Foresight worth it...a sort of discount Celerity. Then it just comes down to what your contingency spell is.

Witch
2007-12-30, 03:50 PM
Not good enough to warret it's 9th level slot, these being the greatest magic any subepic caster can access a low intensity "spider-sense" just doesn't match up to Disjunction, Imprisonment, Teleport Circle, True Ressurrection and those are the unbroken ones
Actually, Disjunction is one of the broken ones.

Before you can ask yourself how good Foresight is as a spell, ask your DM how he interprets this part of the write-up:
"In addition, the spell gives you a general idea of what action you might take to best protect yourself "

Depending on that interpretation, the spell goes from extremely powerful to pitiful.

Aquillion
2007-12-30, 03:53 PM
Actually, Disjunction is one of the broken ones.Not exactly. At least, not broken-overpowered, really, although it is sort of broken in terms of how it fits into the game.

The problem is that, most of the time, the magical items it destroys are going to be things you would have won as loot if you hadn't resorted to Disjuncting them. Sure, you can use it to win fights... but if you're destroying all the magical loot, you might've well just avoided those fights in the first place and saved yourself the 9th level spell.

Witch
2007-12-30, 04:05 PM
Not exactly. At least, not broken-overpowered, really, although it is sort of broken in terms of how it fits into the game.

The problem is that, most of the time, the magical items it destroys are going to be things you would have won as loot if you hadn't resorted to Disjuncting them. Sure, you can use it to win fights... but if you're destroying all the magical loot, you might've well just avoided those fights in the first place and saved yourself the 9th level spell.
I'm talking about the auto-dispelling part, as well as the chance of disjoining lots of items, particularly of classes already dependant on them. Even at epic levels, mage's disjunction still auto-removes all spells. And a fighter is screwed when faced with a disjunction.

Reinboom
2007-12-30, 04:08 PM
A Contingency using "When I cast Featherfall" seems to make Foresight worth it...a sort of discount Celerity. Then it just comes down to what your contingency spell is.

I wonder how well a "when I cast nerveskitter with this 0 level or 1 level increase metamagic on it" would work.... since nerveskitter breaks the standard flat footed rules anyways.

Talya
2007-12-30, 05:58 PM
I wonder how well a "when I cast nerveskitter with this 0 level or 1 level increase metamagic on it" would work.... since nerveskitter breaks the standard flat footed rules anyways.

Holy hell...contingency on casting nerveskitter could be darned useful...

Crow
2007-12-30, 06:41 PM

That is definately interesting. I will need to take a look at Nerveskitter when I get back to my books.