PDA

View Full Version : D&D modern?

knightsaline
2007-12-30, 12:53 AM
Before I begin, let me say that I know that D20 modern exists and I know that this is not what I am asking about.

I have always wondered if it would be feasible to have a D&D game set in the modern age. I have seen special rules for playing in stone age times (metal doesn't exist, everything is made of some sort of stone, certain weapons don't exist), yet none for bringing them into the modern age. Wizards, instead of using heavy tomes for storing spells, have PDAs to store their spells in. The gods have become weaker, due to the new belief in Science or mortals, no longer being forced to believe that the gods exist, choose not to.

Willfor
2007-12-30, 01:03 AM
I would like to point out that there is every chance the gods have become more powerful. With the advent of telecommunications, and the fact that they can actually present themselves, televangelism would probably be pretty huge in this modernised D&D world.

And can anybody say "freedom of religion"? It would take on quite a new meaning when there are actually evil religions.

Also, since science can't quite disprove them, only question their nature, it would be a far more balanced thing than you might expect. Heck, theology might have a whole new meaning there.

Edit: I just realised I may have gotten a bit too close to breaking a rule on my first post, and removed most references to the real world from my post. I'm probably being too paranoid but better safe than sorry,

Shraik
2007-12-30, 01:11 AM
IF you do this, do it in FAERÙN*.

weenie
2007-12-30, 04:52 AM
Wow, computers and divination, every programmer's dream :)

But seriously, why would anyone bother with technology when there's perfectly working magick around? The only reason I can immagine is because it would be cheaper. But the concept is quite intriguing, even though I'm not sure how it would work out. And what roles would member of different classes play in the world. I'm guessing barbarian bikers, urban ranger police officers, bardic musicians, wizard scientists, but I'm not so sure about the rest.

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-30, 05:04 AM
Wow, computers and divination, every programmer's dream :)

But seriously, why would anyone bother with technology when there's perfectly working magick around?

This argument doesn't really hold too much weight if you think about it.

By the default D&D setting, high-level characters are extraordinarily rare. Wizards themselves probably make up a minuscule percentage of the population, and wizards of high enough level to make adequate magical replacements for technology are likely few and far between. Technology is just so much easier to deal with. You can train an average joe how to manufacture a good deal of the parts, it can service a lot of people, and it's not wholly reliant on the very limited supply of people who can bend reality to nearly the means necessary.

People talk about x level 20 on these boards all the time, but really level 20 characters are VERY rare, assuming they're even present. As I recall, the higher level big cheeses in places like Greyhawk or Eberron are around level 14. And these are singular, legendary individuals.

I've actually been working on a setting like this for my novel. I do, however, power down magic even more (but the inverse being I give it to everyone). Either way though, if you think about it, much of Modern Society will remain unchanged. There will be very few clerics who are strong enough to cast resurrection spells, so it'd be a luxury of the very wealthy (assuming the soul doesn't pass on before the spell may be cast), some of the more minor healing spells can deal with more serious incidents (a lot of medics would likely be adepts or clerics), but most of your adventurers are still living on the fringes, exploring ancient ruins like Indiana Jones with magic.

Mikeavelli
2007-12-30, 05:19 AM
I would like to point out that there is every chance the gods have become more powerful. With the advent of telecommunications, and the fact that they can actually present themselves, televangelism would probably be pretty huge in this modernised D&D world.

And can anybody say "freedom of religion"? It would take on quite a new meaning when there are actually evil religions.

Also, since science can't quite disprove them, only question their nature, it would be a far more balanced thing than you might expect. Heck, theology might have a whole new meaning there.

Edit: I just realised I may have gotten a bit too close to breaking a rule on my first post, and removed most references to the real world from my post. I'm probably being too paranoid but better safe than sorry,

Hmmmm..

What about a Modern World theology inspired by Neil Gaiman's American Gods? What with physical manifestations of the Internet and other Technology right alongside aging gods like Odin or Baldur? I think it'd be pretty cool....

weenie
2007-12-30, 06:08 AM
This argument doesn't really hold too much weight if you think about it.

By the default D&D setting, high-level characters are extraordinarily rare. Wizards themselves probably make up a minuscule percentage of the population, and wizards of high enough level to make adequate magical replacements for technology are likely few and far between. Technology is just so much easier to deal with. You can train an average joe how to manufacture a good deal of the parts, it can service a lot of people, and it's not wholly reliant on the very limited supply of people who can bend reality to nearly the means necessary.

People talk about x level 20 on these boards all the time, but really level 20 characters are VERY rare, assuming they're even present. As I recall, the higher level big cheeses in places like Greyhawk or Eberron are around level 14. And these are singular, legendary individuals.

That's not completley wrong, but what you're missing here is that you don't really need high level magic to replace technology. A lvl 1 cleric can replace a whole team of ER surgents, a higher level cleric can treat any kind of disease without much effort, eletricity becomes obsolete when people can rely on everburnig torches lightning, heat metal ovens and sending fax machines. And to produce such things you don't need a high level wizard. Hell, you don't even need a mid level wizard, a level 3 wiz should be enough for all the above. I'm not saying that current day technology would have no use, but who would go through all the research, when all the answers are allready at hand?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-30, 06:13 AM
Wizards, instead of using heavy tomes for storing spells, have PDAs to store their spells in.

d20 modern has those...

Urban Arcana is basically modern D&D except that it really really sucks. It has technomages, magic hackers and stuff.

Shadowrun is pretty similar.

But those are all modern worlds that have had magic spliced in rather than Fantasy worlds that have progressed to a high technology state. Eberron may be able tp go that way but Faerun has Lantarn which has clockpunk elements.

Willfor
2007-12-30, 02:02 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of having a simple modern world spliced with magic, as you said. I would prefer a sufficently advanced fantasy world. They are surprisingly rare.

I'm not saying that current day technology would have no use, but who would go through all the research, when all the answers are allready at hand?

Humanity has a (stupid) drive to progress beyond what is needed. Despite all the hard work it entails, you would only find a few people willing to stay with something good when they can urge on researchers to give them things that are better. Even if it is just providing job opportunities for spell researchers as opposed to those who use the scientific method, and practical experimentation.

Given enough time, every human civilisation capable will try to increase its productivity and knowledge through some method or another. I get the distinct impression that a few other races wouldn't be that far behind either.