PDA

View Full Version : arcane hierophant advice

EphU437
2007-12-30, 03:33 AM
My friend is playing an arcane hierophant and would like some advice about feats. He is 6th level, currently wizard 1/druid 3/ mystic theurge 2. He used the precocious apprentice feat from Complete Arcane to satisfy the MT requirements quickly. His current feats are that and practiced spellcaster.

The campaign is largely solo, with his PC sometimes accompanied by 1 or 2NPCs.

What feats would you recommend?

Thanks,
Eph

Wordmiser
2007-12-30, 03:37 AM
The obvious suggestions are Practiced Spellcaster, Practiced Spellcaster, Natural Spell and Quicken Spell.

If the campaign is largely solo, he will need to provide his own healing? If so, Touch of Healing means he'll never start a fight below half hipoints (without expending any resources), which may or may not be useful.

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 04:46 AM
Another option since you have alot invested in your companion/familiar is Natural Bond. That said I'd say Quicken/Natural Spell are your primary choices.

Also, as side advice, take note of Imbue Familiar with Spell ability, I don't think it specifies that they must be Arcane. Which means you can Imbue your Familiar/Companion with some of your awesome Druid buffs, and he can buff himself when needed.

Stephen_E
2007-12-30, 06:24 AM
What race did he take. Human is sensible for the feat and skill points, but by the sounds he took something else.

Practiced Spellcaster once (for your Arcane levels). It's not worth taking for your Divine levels because you're only one lev down.

Natural Spell

I wouldn't bother with Quicken spell until he gets into 12+ level (get a Rod of Metamagic, after you get that Rod of Empower).

Natural Bond if he's intending to use his Companion Familiar a lot (which he should).

Empower is another strong metamagic feat for a lot of the combat arcane spells you'll cast on your Companion.

There's also one that extends the range of your spell sharing with your Animal Companion.

Skill Focus-Animal Handling is a possibility if he's thinking of taking the 1st level of Beastmaster. Note - This is only really worth it in this case if he's looking at going the "ride my Companion Familiar while under Invisibility/Greater Invisibility and pump damage dealing/buff spells through my mount when not casting battlefield control spells". Not the most power optimised approach, but strong survivability for both PC and Companion.

Re: Animal Companion. Because your Animal Companion becomes intelligent, companions with natural Trip attacks i.e. Dire Wolfs, can be given a Headband of Intellect and take the Improved Trip Feat. Other strong choices are the small raptor (favourite cheese of many) Dire Bat (Blindsense, Flight before Overland Flight and Great Flyby Attack from Savage species when combined with Wiz/Druid spells is many types of Cheese) Tiger (when pouncing, Tigers are the only animal I know of that gets to make a grapple on ANY succesful attack, rather than just the Bite attack). The Bear avenue is also strong, but your DM might not let you ride it into combat.

Stephen

Talic
2007-12-30, 06:35 AM
Tiger (when pouncing, Tigers are the only animal I know of that gets to make a grapple on ANY succesful attack, rather than just the Bite attack). The Bear avenue is also strong, but your DM might not let you ride it into combat.

Bears get it on claw, not bite.

And the general guideline for mounts is 1 size category larger than you. It holds true in the draconomicon, the entries for base mounts, and the like. Personally, I'd think Bear would be easier to ride than tiger.

Ashes
2007-12-30, 06:58 AM
http://www.metal-experience.com/images/festivals/wacken2004/Dio07.jpg

RIDE THE TIGER!

Sorry, I had to do it...

EphU437
2007-12-30, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

The PC is an elf.

What books are Touch of Healing and Imbue familiar with spell ability from?

Wordmiser
2007-12-30, 12:45 PM
Touch of Healing is from Complete Champion, Imbue Familiar is from Complete Arcane.

Just know that if the player has access to wands and the like, Touch of Healing will be a useless feat.