PDA

View Full Version : Tumble or are they telling the truth.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-30, 04:47 AM
What percentage of your wizards have tumble?

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 05:03 AM
Can you get anything out of this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?) link?

If not I'll try to give the rundown.

Of my Wizard characters I have:

ECL 3/ no ranks in tumble +4 mod
ECL 1 Beguiler (going into Ultimate Magus eventually)/ 4 ranks/+7 mod.
ECL 12/ 7.5 ranks +10 mod.
ECL 1/ 2 ranks +6 mod.
ECL 5 Beguiler 2/Wizard 3 (another ultimate magus)/ 8 ranks/+13 mod
ECL 18 Bard 1/Wizard 4/Mindbender 1/Fatespinner 4/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 7/ 21 ranks +27 mod
ECL 18 Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Archmage 1/Contemplative 1/ 21 ranks +27 mod
ECL 20 Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Archmage 4/11 ranks +16 mod

So of High level Wizard casters that's 7/8.
In characters that have no levels of Bard or Beguiler (IE no Tumble as a class skill) it drops to 3/4 characters cross classing tumble. The other one probably won't start hitting tumble, he's doing Hide and MS as an Illusionist.

reorith
2007-12-30, 05:11 AM
i've only made a wizard wth ranks in tumble once. it was horrible build based on how i misinterpreted the rules on threatened casting and attacks of opportunity.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-30, 05:17 AM
All of mine have at least a rank (so they can make the attempt); most take enough ranks so that with their Dexterity and a Masterwork Tool and the like, they have a +14 bonus (making the DC 15 check every time). It's just too useful not to take.

Xefas
2007-12-30, 05:27 AM
Why not? You have the points to spare and no reason to wear armor that would impose a penalty upon the skill. Even if you have a poor dexterity, it's still very useful, very easy to attain a good bonus to it, and no reason not to.

And, so long as you aren't playing a crotchety old man, or someone with the Deformity (Obese) feat, it's perfectly justified thematically.

Talic
2007-12-30, 05:51 AM
And, so long as you aren't playing a crotchety old man, or someone with the Deformity (Obese) feat, it's perfectly justified thematically.

..and it shook when he... somersaulted over the goblin and stabbed it in the back!? WTF?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-30, 06:17 AM
All my characters have tumble, but I play NWN.

Wizards have a lot of skill points to waste on crap and tumble is one of the best skills.

daggaz
2007-12-30, 06:29 AM
All of mine have at least a rank (so they can make the attempt); most take enough ranks so that with their Dexterity and a Masterwork Tool and the like, they have a +14 bonus (making the DC 15 check every time). It's just too useful not to take.

Barring the obvious answer of magic items, what kind of masterwork tool allows you to tumble better? Springs on your shoes ala Wile E. Coyote?

Talic
2007-12-30, 06:31 AM
Barring the obvious answer of magic items, what kind of masterwork tool allows you to tumble better? Springs on your shoes ala Wile E. Coyote?

Padded elbows and knees? It's always easier to fall when you know it won't hurt so bad.

Cuddly
2007-12-30, 06:50 AM

Tools of the Powergamer.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-30, 07:14 AM

I tend to give all my characters at least one point in all the useful "trained only" skills, assuming they have enough skill points. This is because I hate not being allowed to at least try something. So yes, all my wizards have at least one point in tumble.

Xefas
2007-12-30, 07:39 AM
All my characters have tumble, but I play NWN.

Wizards have a lot of skill points to waste on crap and tumble is one of the best skills.

Yup; I don't play NWN so much anymore, but I did for a very long time and tumble became pretty much a standard skill for everyone. +1 unnamed AC bonus per 5 ranks? Geez...

Most of my characters also took Spellcraft, if at all possible, for the +1 bonus on all saves versus spells for every 5 ranks.

Anyway, in actual D&D, I'd rank tumble up there just below Bluff and Diplomacy in its usefulness.

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 02:55 PM
Yup; I don't play NWN so much anymore, but I did for a very long time and tumble became pretty much a standard skill for everyone. +1 unnamed AC bonus per 5 ranks? Geez...

Most of my characters also took Spellcraft, if at all possible, for the +1 bonus on all saves versus spells for every 5 ranks.

Technically, just to point out, those are +1 per modifier, not ranks, so a 20 Dex pays back 6AC on it's own.

Saph
2007-12-30, 03:11 PM

None so far. I pretty much always take it for other classes, though.

- Saph

ForzaFiori
2007-12-30, 03:45 PM
I actually rarely have any ranks in tumble past the 1 rank to let me use it since its trained only. However, I dont usually play many characters with lots and lots of skill points, so i usually run out while getting things that are needed for a character. Though on the rare occasion i have extra skills, i will usually put them into either bluff, sense motive, or tumble.

Triaxx
2007-12-30, 04:20 PM
I usually take a few ranks on my elven sorceror.That way if I can't five-foot step for some reason, I can still make the attempt to roll to freedom.

We've also experimented with a house rule giving a +1 per ten ranks of Tumble to reflex saves vs. spells. On the theory that if the rogue can roll away from the fireball, so can I.