PDA

View Full Version : why the discrepancy in craft wonderous prereqs?

daggaz
2007-12-30, 06:19 AM
I've been looking over the magic item lists, having just taken this feat for the first time (no magic-shop campaign), and I've found a few items such as this:

Scarab, Golembane
This beetle-shaped pin enables its wearer to detect any golem within 60 feet, although he must concentrate (a standard action) in order for the detection to take place. A scarab enables its possessor to combat golems with weapons, unarmed attacks, or natural weapons as if those golems had no damage reduction.

Moderate divination; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, creator must be at least 10th level; Price 2,500 gp.

Which beg the question, Why CL 8th and creator must be at least 10th level? Why not just make it CL 10th, or is this some sort of pitch to clerics who actually take two levels of fighter??

Theres a few others in there as well... Just seems odd to me.

Also, theres not much love for a sixth level cleric making core items, are there many more possibilities in the MIC? I'm thinking about getting that book...

Talic
2007-12-30, 06:47 AM
When a 20th level cleric makes a scroll of miracle, it's at 17th caster level (usually).

When a 20th level wizard makes a scroll of Fireball, it's at third.

Some of the crafting nuances evidently require a greater level of experience, wherein the actual enchantment laid in is more cost effective when put in at the lower level.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-30, 03:14 PM
Which beg the question, Why CL 8th and creator must be at least 10th level? Why not just make it CL 10th, or is this some sort of pitch to clerics who actually take two levels of fighter?? The figures are for two different purposes. The creator level is self-explanatory; they don't want this item to be creatable at low levels. The caster level specifies how easy this thing is to turn off (temporarily) with Dispel Magic.