PDA

View Full Version : Dervish dance + Whirlwind attack = Possible?

weenie
2007-12-30, 08:46 AM
Ok, I've asked this question in another thread, but it got ignored, so here it goes:

Would you allow a character to make a Whirlwind attack while in a Dervish dance thus letting him attack each opponent that gets in his reach with a full BaB?

Talya
2007-12-30, 09:32 AM
Ok, I've asked this question in another thread, but it got ignored, so here it goes:

Would you allow a character to make a Whirlwind attack while in a Dervish dance thus letting him attack each opponent that gets in his reach with a full BaB?

Whirlwind attack is made stationary (although I think you can move before you take it), and I think it is a standard action. (It doesn't specify.)

If you used it, you'd forfeit all your other iterative attacks, but yes, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The only advantage to using dervish dance while intending a whirlwind attack would be to get the attack/damage bonus from the dance (as much as +5 --nothing to laugh at), and it rather defeats the purpose of the dervish dance ability. You'd also lose the benefit of the cleave ability you get while dancing.

If you are playing a 2h weilding dervish, this might occasionally be a worthwhile thing to do. As a dual scimitar weilder, forget it. You lose too many attacks, unless you are surrounded in every square you threaten.

(If you are using tome of battle, and take that stance which gives you +5 reach, you could potentially hit as many as 24 opponents with a greatsword whirlwind attack, all at full BAB. 48 opponents with a spiked chain...)

weenie
2007-12-30, 09:44 AM
Whirlwind attack is made stationary (although I think you can move before you take it), and I think it is a standard action. (It doesn't specify.)

When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.

As I see this a whirlwind attack is a modified full atack, and thus still a full attack action.

And in the description it doesn't say that the whirlwind attack is stationary, so couldn't you use it to get an attack against every opponent you step near to?

BobTheDog
2007-12-30, 10:06 AM
WHIRLWIND ATTACK [GENERAL]

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit: When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.

When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities.

Special: A fighter may select Whirlwind Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I would take that line of the Whirlwind Attack feat to mean that you cannot use it in conjunction with the Dervish Dance.

daggaz
2007-12-30, 10:06 AM
whirlwind is a full attack, and thus is stationary (you are allowed only the five foot step).. i wouldnt let this mix with dervish, unless the melee characters were far underpar compared to the casters in the campaign.

weenie
2007-12-30, 10:27 AM
I would take that line of the Whirlwind Attack feat to mean that you cannot use it in conjunction with the Dervish Dance.

Actually the dervish dance doesn't give you bonus or extra attacks, so I don't see why.

@daggaz: While it is so normaly, the dervish dance description specifies, that while in a dervish dance a character "can take a full attack action(for melee attacks only) and still move up to her speed"

daggaz
2007-12-30, 11:23 AM
then dervish away! sounds like its allowable to me..

kemmotar
2007-12-30, 12:35 PM
Well the thing as i see it is that you actually make one attack instead of a full attack. This one attack is made against anyone in a square you threaten. Dervish dance essentially makes a full attack action a standard action so you can still take a move action. Also according to dervish dance you have to move at least 5feet between each attack. However, since you are making only one attack you need to move at least 5 feet after you make the attack, however, you can't make anymore attacks...so it's kinda like using spring attack to move in, whirlwind attack and move out...the only difference would be that you get you the plus on damage and attack roll from dervish dance...

Frosty
2007-12-30, 12:37 PM
The way I see it, Dervish dance allows you o move up to your speed, and then still perform a Whirlwind attack, but you only get one per turn.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-30, 01:53 PM
Since Whirlwind Attack is specifically something you can do "when you perform a full attack" I would say that anything that worked off full attacks should apply to it, as long as it doesn't give you other attacks.