PDA

View Full Version : Buff half-elves: too much?

Albonor
2007-12-30, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm currently running a core-only campaign (with the exception of the prestige class but everyone must agree around the table on a new addition) and a new player is interrested in playing a half-elf. But, since they are pretty much the second-worst race in my setting, I thought I could buff them a little. the problem was: they are VERY similar to the elves(who have the advantage of being first-class citizens) so it could not be that much of a buff.

I decided to give them a luck feat of their choice at first level and access to the luck feats (if the have the prerequisites of course), my only exception to the Core-only rule.

I want your opinion: is it too much? Does anyone have a better idea?

Arbitrarity
2007-12-30, 02:04 PM
I think the limit on the bonus feat is all right. It's not powerful, but not weak anymore, at all. Actually, it might be a BIT better than human, but not much. Skill bonuses, LL vision, very limited feat, vs skills and bonus feat.

Riffington
2007-12-30, 02:19 PM
I approve this wholeheartedly.

Treguard
2007-12-30, 02:32 PM
Failing that, giving them an additional skill point, akin to humans, is also a viable buff I've seen house-ruled.

deadseashoals
2007-12-30, 04:59 PM
Failing that, giving them an additional skill point, akin to humans, is also a viable buff I've seen house-ruled.

I've done this, but it's not really good enough.

Reinboom
2007-12-30, 05:05 PM
Giving a luck feat might be a bit good... it depends on how well it's used.

How about giving able learner for free? (removing the racial requirement of human and doppelganger only).
Cross class skills only take 1 rank instead of 2, but they still cap as a cross class would.
This would show a broad capability in origins.

Indon
2007-12-30, 05:06 PM
Luck feats are nice, but they aren't as good as a general feat, if only for the versatility of the general feat. In my view, this makes it a pretty good choice.

I think it's a balanced change and good for reflecting the lineage of the half-elf.

Starsinger
2007-12-30, 07:00 PM
How about giving able learner for free? (removing the racial requirement of human and doppelganger only).
Cross class skills only take 1 rank instead of 2, but they still cap as a cross class would.

I second this idea.

Wordmiser
2007-12-30, 09:06 PM
I say kill all the Half-Breed races and pretend they were never printed.

Short of that, your fix would work.

So would the Able Learner thing.

Fawsto
2007-12-30, 10:45 PM
Or you can give him 1 extra skill at level 1 and every 2 levels later. Like half human skill progression. At least this would make the diference for longer than a feat. Dunno.

Cuddly
2007-12-30, 11:02 PM
Or you can give him 1 extra skill at level 1 and every 2 levels later. Like half human skill progression. At least this would make the diference for longer than a feat. Dunno.

Too much paper work.

I like the luck feat idea.

Zeful
2007-12-30, 11:35 PM
I recommend giving half elves a +2 to Int. You have human ingenuity and curiosity with a fraction of the elven lifespan. Then maybe drop a -2 to wis. They may learn alot but that doesn't mean they necsecarily know what to do with the knowledge.

TheOOB
2007-12-31, 01:32 AM
Giving a luck feat might be a bit good... it depends on how well it's used.

This is the solution I usually use, and I generally don't give access to that feat to humans. This gives half-elves something unique they can do that is similar to humans special abilities, but still different, it's also something that is useful to any class.

TomTheRat
2007-12-31, 01:39 AM
I say kill all the Half-Breed races and pretend they were never printed.

Short of that, your fix would work.

So would the Able Learner thing.

Hail Rajat!