PDA

View Full Version : Lycan Banehallow to be made (in DnD ofc)

Zephyros
2007-12-30, 02:07 PM
So fellow playgrounders... I decided to run a game in the Warcraftian Universe once more (with the current dnd rules - not the S&S books - rules from the older dnd patch version must be approved first...) and one of my friends suggested that their characters would be nice to emulate a DotA hero (warcraft mod). All players - except for one - managed to build accordingly their choice.

(for your information only that would be, Rylai the Crystal Maiden, Sven the Rogue Knight, and Mirana the Moon Priestess)

Alas, the last one is our friendly newb so is clueless about how to set up his character who will be Banehallow the Lycan. All in all the DotA hero can do four things: 1.Summon spirit wolves 2. Cry out boosting his damage output 3. Run and hit fast cause of his feral nature 4. And assume a lycanthropic form which makes him even faster and deadlier.

I' ve got no time to spare.. Plz help me :smallredface: Thanks in advance :smallwink:

Zephyros
2007-12-30, 03:54 PM
a lil help pliex? :smallbiggrin:

Iku Rex
2007-12-30, 03:55 PM
Level?
Books available?

Zephyros
2007-12-30, 04:40 PM
Everything published by WotC (i thought it was obvious :smallsigh: )

and campaign starts at lvl 14 and will go to 23

deadseashoals
2007-12-30, 04:58 PM
Keep it simple, be a werewolf barbarian with the wild cohort feat.

Summon Wolves = Wild Cohort (sort of)
Howl = Rage
Feral Heart = Fast Movement
Shapeshift = Alternate Form

Thinker
2007-12-30, 06:45 PM
Longtooth Shifter Druid 8/Moonspeaker 6 (RoE)

Feats Taken:
1) Longtooth Elite (RoE)
3) Shifter Instincts (RoE)
6) Extra Shifter Trait (RoE) [Take Longstride trait]
9) Longstride Elite (RoE)
12) Doesn't matter.

Summon Wolves = Summon Nature's Ally X (more powerful the higher level used).
Howl = Shifting or any number of self-buffs the druid casts.
Feral Heart = Longstride trait.
Shapeshift = Wildshape (into mostly wolves presumably)

In case you are unaware, RoE is Races of Eberron.

Iku Rex
2007-12-31, 12:25 PM
In case you still want suggestions, here's mine. I may flesh it out more later for myself, so let me know if you want more details on further progression, skills, tactics and magic items. (Does this Banehallow character use a specific weapon?)

Longstrider Shifter Barbarian1/Ranger 4/Weretouched Master (ECS) 5/Wildrunner (RotW) 2/Warshaper (CWar) 2

(Note errata on weretouched master.)

32 point buy.

Str 14
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 12

+2 Dex, -2 Int and Cha shifter, +2 Str, +1 Con levels, +magic

All mental ability scores could be dumped - just buy a magic item to compensate. (Int is only for skill points, Wis is for ranger spells, Cha is for Primal Scream.) Dex is not that important either.

Technically you have to be an elf or half-elf for wildrunner, but that's mainly fluff. From the "adaption" section: "The wildrunner class is suitable for characters of any race, and you could adapt this class accordingly by simply dropping the racial requirement."

Feats: (1) Extra Rage (CWar), Track*, (3) Longstrider Elite (ECS), Rapid Shot*, Endurance*, (6) Wild Cohort (Website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)), Shifter Agility* (RacEbb), (9) Extra Shifter Strait (Beasthide) (ECS), Beasthide Elite* (ECS), (12) True Believer (CDiv, MIC)

I'd consider dropping ranger spells in return for another archery feat (CCha) and being able to dump Wis.

You could tweak the character from high Dex and speed to high Str by choosing different shifter feats and weretouched master abilities.

The requirements:

1.Summon spirit wolves

The character has two animal companions. I suggest adding together the ranger companion level (2) and the wild cohort level (11) and make it two druid level 6 companions, for simplicity. They won't be much use in a serious fight, but they can flank, scout, track and stand guard.

2. Cry out boosting his damage output and 3. Run and hit fast cause of his feral nature

His base speed will be 50 (more with magic items), increasing to 70+ when shifting.

There are three different abilities at work, but with Cha 10 they're all 3/day so I suggest using them all at once to keep things simple. They all last 3+(modified) Con rounds, except for shifting, which lasts 4 rounds longer.

It adds up like this:

Str/Dex/Con
4/0/4, -2 AC, +2 Will from Rage (free action)
2/6/0 from Primal Scream (free action)
2/6/2, +4 NA, +1 dodge, +1 reflex saves, bite, trip, frightful shifting from Wetouched/shifting (free action)
4/0/4, crit immunity from Warshaper (must be shifting)

End result: +12 Str, +12 Dex, +10 Con, +3 AC, +2 Will, +1 Ref, bite attack, frightful shifting, immunity to criticals. That's a pretty scary wolf-man if you ask me.

4. And assume a lycanthropic form which makes him even faster and deadlier.

Weretocuhed III lets him polymorph into a wolf by using two uses of his daily shifting ability. Not so great combat-wise, but at least he can do it. If he keeps ranger spells he can change into a wolf with the aspect of the wolf (SC) spell as well.

(If you want a hardcore wolf-shape killing machine you're better off tweaking the bear warrior class.)

Equipment ideas:

A Shirt of the Moon (MIC, 15000) is DR 3/silver.

I'd modify the Millennial Chainmail (MIC, 8150) so that it provides fast healing in moonlight. That's less powerful than the normal ability, so some sort of extra power might be in order. The True Believer feat could be the character's dedication to some sort of wolf-spirit.

A Panther Mask ("Wolf Mask") (MIC, 2700) would provide the Run feat. Seems appropriate.

A Bow of the Wintermoon (MIC, 3400) lets him take full advantage of the new Str when ranging/shifting/screaming if melee isn't an option.

Adumbration
2007-12-31, 01:44 PM
Another thing he might consider is becoming a Lycanthrope. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm#werewolf) It would fit the fluff better, I think, and to go with it, he could either take levels in Barbarian (for rage ability and speed), Druid (animal companion and buffs) or Ranger (animal companion, various bonuses). Just thought to add another option to go along with the others - don't think that anyone else mentioned Lycanthrope before.

Great to see someone using DotA, by the way. I play it sometimes, too.

Thinker
2008-01-01, 02:34 AM
Another thing he might consider is becoming a Lycanthrope. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm#werewolf) It would fit the fluff better, I think, and to go with it, he could either take levels in Barbarian (for rage ability and speed), Druid (animal companion and buffs) or Ranger (animal companion, various bonuses). Just thought to add another option to go along with the others - don't think that anyone else mentioned Lycanthrope before.

Great to see someone using DotA, by the way. I play it sometimes, too.

The problem with using the lycanthrope is the LA and HD. It would lag him behind the rest of the group significantly. That is why I suggested Shifters from Eberron. They're like lycanthropy light.

Kizara
2008-01-01, 05:06 AM
So fellow playgrounders... I decided to run a game in the Warcraftian Universe once more (with the current dnd rules - not the S&S books - rules from the older dnd patch version must be approved first...) and one of my friends suggested that their characters would be nice to emulate a DotA hero (warcraft mod). All players - except for one - managed to build accordingly their choice.

(for your information only that would be, Rylai the Crystal Maiden, Sven the Rogue Knight, and Mirana the Moon Priestess)

Alas, the last one is our friendly newb so is clueless about how to set up his character who will be Banehallow the Lycan. All in all the DotA hero can do four things: 1.Summon spirit wolves 2. Cry out boosting his damage output 3. Run and hit fast cause of his feral nature 4. And assume a lycanthropic form which makes him even faster and deadlier.

I' ve got no time to spare.. Plz help me :smallredface: Thanks in advance :smallwink:

I find it pretty amusing that I have used those exact same characters to RP myself (with the exception of lycan and addition of SB).
I made up nightelf stats and a PotM PrC (its damn good too) to make my PotM work.
Sven is simply a cleric (maybe with fighter/paladin) with the strength and war domains; Divine Power= GS, Righteous Might= BKB (ok not really, but its cosmetically similar); add a level of barbarian if you want to emulate a MoM as well.

I didnt actually use DnD for CM, just a freeform group, and her powers would be difficult to emulate, how is your group doing it? A wizardess that casts cold-based spells isnt really even close without some really custom spells. All of her skills are really difficult to duplicate?

Frost Nova: Cold-based fireball with smaller AoE and 2 round slow effect maybe?

Frostbite: Fort Save or be frozen and ice for 1 round/level and take cold damage every round.

Brilliance Aura: Not a clue, since DnD isn't paced anything like DotA and there's no 'mana'. An aura that replenished spell slots would be really hard to not get totally out of hand.

Freezing Field: Something like meteor swarm, but centered on her, with her being immune to it?

Maybe re-work warlock a bit, using the above powers as invocations.

PS: Stop by Clan WDL or Clan Tkx on West sometime if you want a game. :) Tkx is in cal-o playoffs right now. :)