PDA

View Full Version : Good riddance or fare thee well 2007?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-30, 07:54 PM
So, how would you weigh up the pros and cons of this year?

Me? I'd just like to say that if an anthropomorphication of 2007 came into being I would quite gladly kick it in the teeth, throw it out the window, and set fire to it in the alley. Though I have had sharp spikes of discontent I do not believe I have EVER had a year so never ending in its abuse of me.

Cons
From April to about September for instance I must have had the flu 5 times and the cold twice that much, and I've almost 'never' been sick more than once a year in my life. I tore a ligament in my knee doing nothing but jogging slowly that has not even yet fully healed, and once it began to get better I then broke my toe and severely twisted my ankle on the other limb. I also got a bout of sun poisoning so bad I nearly had to go to the hospital and didn't heal from for over a month.

I have had every car of mine and those I've borrowed this year break down within an hour of driving them. This caused me to both become unable to get my GED as well as meeting up with a special someone who I've been pursuing shall we say for over a decade and lives a good deals away. I've also had two tires explode this year while going 70 mph the midst of traffic. I also got my first ticket ever, chosen out of about three dozen other cars with which I was going with the flow.

I have been absolutely unable to find a single means of occupation, and have applied for everything from writing gigs to childcare to finally fast food joints.

Had a great uncle and aunt die who my Dad was close to, and my Grandfather has been to the hospital at least twice.

Two of my oldest dogs and one of my cats have died this year.

My writing has been horribly lessened as my imagination and inspiration seems to have taken a vacation this year. As some of you have seen I still manage to put out a few things here and there, but nothing like the continuous surge I had the previous few years.

...and these are just a few of the things that come to mind. I've been writing about my streak of rolling natural 1's all year.

Pros
As a means to strengthen my knee I began self-induced therapy by taking up walking and hiking and now jog several miles every day which has aided me greatly in all ways from health to looks.

I have renewed friendship with my two oldest friends, one of which is the aforementioned girl, which are better than ever.

The pros are what have helped me get through all the rest of the crap that was 2007.

Shadic
2007-12-30, 08:15 PM
Pros:
Graduated High School
Picked a College
Started College
Continued to stay with girlfriend, (Had two year anniversary in October!)
Made new friends
Family got a new puppy (Named Coco!)
Discovered new online webcomics to enjoy
Turned 18

Cons:
Failed my first class ever. (College Calculus. :smallfrown: )
One Grandma fell and broke her arm (95% recovered), and the other fell and broke her hip this week...
Have been falling out of touch with a lot of High School friends
Getting bored of most forums that I attend
One of my cats got pretty badly injured at the end of November. That night, it was most likely that she was going to die. In less than three weeks, she was essentially recovered, but she'll never quite be the same. (Having a 50-pound ladder fall and hit your cat in the head is bad, for the record)

tahu88810
2007-12-30, 08:29 PM
Pros:
Self discovery (Still going on though, lol)
Started Highschool
Got out of the dreadfull, awfull middle school (what with the horribly stupid principle and stuff)
I started track and cross-country

Cons:
My friend got suspended for almost nothing
My other friend is so sick he can't go to school and hes in the hospitle (sp?)
Personal things I can't talk about
Some depression
Multiple deaths in the family
Some pretty tough (life altering) decisions made badly

----
I say good riddance

ZombieRockStar
2007-12-30, 09:05 PM
Ups

A year with one of the most incredible people I've ever known. She's the most amazing person in my life right now and the reason this year was perhaps the most exciting I've ever been through, and the reason I look so forward to next year; the magic in my life, and it was in 2007 that I found her. *spins around in happiness*

Got to meet people, especially from the playground. Fun, exciting people who I like a lot. GenCon itself was great, but the real fun was to be had in the hotel room, playing board games, drinking games, or doing anything else we thought interesting. (3 AM Kubb!)

I'm gonna call this the Year of Music. I bought a brand new guitar and recorded a lot of songs and in general made huge progress as a musician. Especially in what I listen to. Two years ago, you'd have not recognized the pretentious indie elitist I am now. Or that I like to think I am. :smallamused:

Downs

At the beginning of the school term, I picked up a cat from the shelter and brought her home with me. The most affectionate, lovely kitty you could imagine. Three months later, I had to put her down because of cancer. I get really attached to my animals and having to do that hurt me a lot. I'm still depressed just thinking about it.

This summer was the worst. I went out to Banff, Alberta to look for a job, but couldn't find anything so I felt stranded and alone in a tourist town where everything costs too damn much. Then I went home and got a bunch of meaningless factory temp jobs that hardly lasted more than a week and were completely soul-destroying (except, oddly enough, the janitor job, which I liked doing), especially that one in the meat plant that is the reason why I'm now vegetarian. GenCon and buying that brand new guitar were the sole redeeming qualities of last summer.

~ ~ ~

Okay, maybe this year wasn't the easiest, especially the summer, but I wouldn't trade it. Change it in little ways, certainly, but just the first thing on that list means I'm going to forever love this year.

Crimmy
2007-12-30, 09:17 PM
Pros:
- I have begun to be a little less grumpy with my schoolmates (if they annoy me too much, i just beat the living hell outta them)
- I have Entered this forums, and i've started a good avataring career

Cons:
- I have had an evil cold since october, and it hasn't stopped
- I almost broke a leg, but i only sprained myself, and it was awfully painful

RandomNPC
2007-12-30, 11:34 PM
Good riddance or fare well 2007?

yes.

well
good:
~Didn't get laid off. i was the next guy on the list
~found out my sons not allergic to the meds i am (that doc scared me...)
~new (to me) car

Bad:
~new cars radiator destroys itself from the inside every 3 months, mecahnic "treated" it instead of replacing a part. still does it.
~found out my sons not allergic to the meds i am... when the doctor told my wife it was 50/50 and she didnt ask for something else (that i CAN take and thus can't pass on an alergy to)

mostly an eventless year. no major relation ship changes, still married. no job changes (almost) only major buy was a car.

but honestly if i could change it i would, there's plenty of generic meds i can take that my son could take too, but the same doctor that told me to opperate on my own foot with a swis army knife and toe nail clippers told my wife it was only a 50/50 that these meds could negatively harm my son, and thats acceptable. she wonders why i drive out of town to see a doctor....

FdL
2007-12-30, 11:50 PM
2007 sucked. Pain, heartbreak and stuff.

On the other hand, I found these forums.

de-trick
2007-12-30, 11:58 PM
pro
joined forum :smalltongue:
had first girlfriend
found a girl I really like
had my first party
passed grade 9
grew up
shaving know
stopped trying to be something else(stopped caring what people thought)

cons
girlfriend dumped me after a day(whatever)
girl I like is going out with someone else
friend moved away
depressed more(but what ever)
cut my self lots(not on purpose or emo way)

but I'm havi'n a new years party going to be fun:smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2007-12-31, 12:00 AM
Pros:
went to disney world
got with an excellent girl for over 2 months now, though its getting pretty rocky now.
managed to finally get over my ex
managed to get a band together, even if we rarely practice
joined the CC team
CC won state for the 3rd time in a row

Cons:
Stress fracture kept me out of CC for most of the season
things aren't looking good at all with my gf right now
started cutting again
my math grade is slowly slipping into the abyss
my great aunt went insane and died
my grandmother is slowly going insane
my step-sister has become a gold digging w****

so it was a so-so year. bad at the start and end, great in the middle.

KerfuffleMach2
2007-12-31, 12:21 AM
Pros:
Got raise
Got PS2
Got new car

Cons:
Major plumping problems
Major money problems
Not hearing from my father in at least 7 months
Still not back in college yet
Mom in hospital twice in the last month

So, I'd have to say good riddance to 2007.

Winter_Wolf
2007-12-31, 01:32 AM
I'd just like to say to 2007, "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I can think of only two pros, and one is iffy:
-Our samoyed gave birth to a healthy litter of puppies. Noisy little things, just like their mommy, but they were super cute and we managed to find good homes for all of them.
-I moved back to the US. It's great to be out of China, but it sucks trying to find a job over here.

The cons?
-The job I had doing ESL in China ended badly after the frikkin' W#%RT%R##!! decided it would be "fun" to screw with my paycheck, not once, but twice in as many months! Finally got paid in full, after directly telling the company owner to his face, "if you don't have my money in two days, we'll be meeting in the courtroom in three." Sometimes, the big stick is the ONLY way to resolve an issue.
-Moved back to the US. Did I mention it sucks trying to find a job over here? The things I am well qualified to do are apparently not in such great demand over in these parts (or they're extremely well hidden from me), and the things that are in demand, I'd have to go back to school to get even the basics of. Going back to school is NOT an option, unless it's to get my MA, which is really not feasible until I have an income to help me pay for schooling and to keep a roof over my family's heads.
-Several lower back injuries. These are bad because they directly influence my ability to do my martial arts or really any interesting physical activity, which is bad because THAT directly affects my one effective outlet for maintaining my emotional balance and exercise program. I need my endorphins and fresh air, dammit....:smallfrown:

Skippy
2007-12-31, 01:56 AM
Pros:
Found the Playground.
Met a lot of good people (You lot, in case you haven't figured. Particularly Curly.)
Regained my weight.
Spent a lot of time with my family

Cons:
Broke up with my girlfriend.
Had a fight with my best friend
Got robbed
Flunked college
Spent most of the year without a job
Spent most of my time alone
Got nearly killed in a fire

Can't remember anymore. Definitely the worst year of my life. But hey, it's almost finished. Thank Godness!

Pwenet
2007-12-31, 04:11 PM
I'd just like to say to 2007, "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

That is my feelings exactly.

Let's start with the cons first so I can get happy afterwards:
Cons
Was unable to find steady work for most of the year and spent far too long on unemployment.
Had to move back in with my parents due to the lack of job situation
Was driven into debt due to lack of job situation
Found out that my wife hated me and was staying with me only for my money and was 1-step away from a relationship with a co-worker, so I'm presently going through the lovely divorce process. Oh yeah, I found out 2 weeks before X-mas/my Birthday, putting a dampener on the whole holiday season.
Said wife took the cats we got together.
My parents cat, despite being a little devil, had a blood clot break away and slowly paralyze her starting from the rear and working it's way forward, forcing us to put her down 2 days before my birthday, one week after the wife took our kitties.

Okay - Now for the Pro's
I landed a GREAT job towards the end of the year.
I am getting used to the idea of being a bachelor again and the divorce process is moving along very smoothly.
I will have my money situation under control by the end of January, early February at the latest.
Got back in contact with very supportive friends.
I just got vacation time today :smallbiggrin: (first job ever with paid vacations)
I've gotten back into music.

So yeah, most of 2007 can kiss certain areas not suitable for public discourse, but it looks like that 2008 will be a much better year.

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-31, 04:35 PM
Most definitely fare well, 2007!

Cons:
Most recent dreams crushed
Friend more annoying
Friend's little brother more annoying
Got math project on first day of school

Pros:
BEST TEACHER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got a violin
Saw a movie, now my favorite movie of all time
Beat one of the best tetherball players in my school
Became far better at tetherball
Beat my teacher in tetherball:smalltongue:
Created friendship between two of my oldest friends
Had fondue on Christmas Eve
Will have another fondue this evening
Have most pleasurable (and unnatainable) crush ever
Learned to salsa
Danced for large crowd

Oh, gotta go. There's probably more. I'm definitely pro-2007!

sktarq
2007-12-31, 04:49 PM
So yeah, most of 2007 can kiss certain areas not suitable for public discourse, but it looks like that 2008 will be a much better year.

DUUUDE....may I sugest a song for tonight? Counting Crows-Long December?

Kaelaroth
2007-12-31, 05:02 PM
2007 sucked. Pain, heartbreak and stuff.

On the other hand, I found these forums.

Exactly. Exactly that.

Glaivemaster
2007-12-31, 05:57 PM
Pros:

Met my girlfriend
Got through college (English-style)
Passed A-levels
Got accepted into the university of my choice
Travelled around Europe for a month
Joined a friend's RP
Made plenty of new friends, on the forums and in real life
Joined the forums (almost in 2006)
Started getting money
Got lots of shiny new stuff
Generally grew up/matured

Cons:

Spending a month in the constant company of friends strained our relationships somewhat
Had to start actually working (oh noes)
Lost a lot of friends due to falling out of contact after school ended
General apathy and getting tired of life (not living, just life and the stuff that happens)

I think, all-in-all, 2007 hasn't been that bad. There have certainly been much worse years, and I'm sure there'll be quite a few worse to come. I get good feelings about 2008 though, and I'm hoping that it's not just vain hope.

Here's to a year of great new friends and experiences, and here's hoping for a new year with even greater

Eldred
2007-12-31, 08:31 PM
Pros:
Became friends with a whole new group of people
Made a new great friend with a girl on my bus
In my first year of college
Got a part-time job
Finally got my weight-lifting regime sorted
Hit the 10-year mark in my Karate training
I has longer hair!
First time clubbing
Sorted out the paperwork for a provisional drivers license

Cons:
Losing friendship with one of my best friends
Haven't done enough work for college
Have a bad part-time job
Haven't had a girlfriend for over a year now
Really worried about my future career prospects
Seem to get depressed/irritable more often these days
Spent most of the summer holidays isolated from my school friends

Overall, 2007 hasn't been the best year I've had, but maybe not the worst. Here's to 2008 - let's hope it's a good year for one and all!

Xerillum
2007-12-31, 08:44 PM
2007 deserves a kick in the head. or five.

Midnight Son
2007-12-31, 09:35 PM
No Pros and Cons list for me. All I will say is that the first half was awesome and the second half blew like a hurricane on steroids. Those who know why, know, and it bears no repetition here. All I will say is that Karma owes me big time. She bitch slapped me hard last year.

Winterwind
2007-12-31, 09:41 PM
I don't want to go into details, but for the most part, 2007 managed to drive me into deep depression. On the other hand, each and every one of the problems which did so ultimately somehow ended well... but not before a lot of anguish and suffering. Altogether... I would say good riddance and make sure to hit the year with the door on the way out, if it were not for the fact I found these forums here in 2007. That is a sort of redemption.

So I'll just say, it had its ups and downs.

Dragonrider
2007-12-31, 09:42 PM
DUUUDE....may I sugest a song for tonight? Counting Crows-Long December?

Heh. My dad sang that song at his office Christmas party. It's my anthem for this time of year - I always seem to feel this way.

I can't say I found the Playground in 2007, because I joined two days BEFORE 2007, but this was my year:

Beginning of 2007:
Decent
Went to China! (good)

Spring of 2007:
Meh
lost a lot of weight (good)
sick a lot (bad)
grandfather nearly died (bad)
(weight probably related to other two)

Early summer of 2007:
Best four weeks of my life
Came home from China (good - was getting homesick)
Hung out with friend for four weeks (good)

Late summer of 2007:
The worst two months of my life
Lost a friend (who, it turned out, wasn't so great after all anyway)
Was depressed
Various teenage drama crap

Autumn of 2007:
Rocky
Depressed;
Had difficulty recovering from said drama

Winter of 2007:
Crap
Always stressed
Always busy
Terribly lonely (see: lost friend)

OVERALL ANALYSIS
Bad outweighed the good.
BUT I would never go back.
It sounds cheesy, but this year really changed my life (the bad stuff helped me grow up a lot, if nothing else.)

bluewind95
2007-12-31, 10:16 PM
This was both the best and the worst year, but it closes on a bitter note.

While I've met some amazing people, managed to get to actually.. well... feel after I'd shut down my ability to feel emotions, and such... the last part of the year has sunk me into such a horrible depression that I want to shut down my ability to feel again and I just want to crawl into a hole in the ground and never get up again.

So... yeah... bye-bye 2007. Thanks for the good things, but... I'm just not strong enough to take the bad ones.

Castaras
2008-01-01, 05:43 AM
Fare thee well, oh brilliant 2007.

This has been a good year for me. :smallsmile:

I rediscovered Giantitp. Don't believe that join date I have, I still say I joined on Jan 17th, 2007 (Was when I first entered Town, my first place to lurk within). But Giantitp is what made this year so awesome. Not only did I gain confidence in real life from this, and made many new awesometastic people here, but this would probably be the year when I was happiest. Due to finally finding people who I could relate to, and to meeting the most amazing person in my life... :smallredface:

I can't remember any of the bad things that happened last year. Only the good things.

That's gotta be worth something, right?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-01, 05:48 AM
I won't go into it, but this is a year I could have done without. Screw off, '07.

rubakhin
2008-01-01, 06:31 AM
That was the worst year of my life, with the possible exception of 1991 in which every bad thing that can possibly happen to a three-year-old happened. I was in the mental institution more times than I can count (well, twice, unless you count the time I called my mother a **** and she dragged me to the emergency room and told them I was suicidal so that they'd lock me up as punishment), I had a complete breakdown when I found out that I couldn't go back to Russia this summer, I tried to kill myself like six times, I did enough drugs to put a pod of whales into a coma, I slept with men for money, I still don't have a GED, a driver's license, or a job, I ruined the only halfway decent relationship I ever had because I couldn't get over all my childhood trauma (my young life was basically a series of pedophiles), my best friend was killed in Grozny over circumstances that I'm still trying to convince myself aren't my fault, my other best friend killed himself out of grief shortly afterwards, and after Lanka died I went totally nuts and started losing time all Fight Club-like. And on top of that, I'm still in the same damn spiritually desolate American ghetto I was in last year. I feel like my sanity is hanging by a thread.

Man, that is an inordinate amount of suffering. What the hell kind of karma am I working off here? :smalleek: I must have been a genocidal dictator in a past life.

On the bright side, however ...

... Um, well, I was in a monastery for a while, I was happy beyond measure in Grozny, and I wrote some nice prose, I guess. Also, you guys. This is a great community. And I got a piano a few days ago, and a pet fish, which is seriously enough to make me happy for the rest of my life. So all in all, a terrible, terrible year, but no more complaining from me, this year I'm going to fix my life. My goal is to be in St. Petersburg by next January (ideally with a good job, maybe even a boyfriend - hell, maybe even with a wife and son). Or, failing that, next year I at least want to say that I tried as hard as I could to be a good person, that I tried to redeem myself with my art ...

wxdruid
2008-01-01, 08:26 AM
Pros

Went to Baghdad, Iraq on a deployment, met a lot of cool people, had a very very easy weather job, ate good desserts
Continued to expand my list of friends on GitP and Enupnion
Made it back from Baghdad, Iraq just in time for GenCon!
Ate lunch with Dark Lady of the Sith around Thanksgiving time :smallsmile:
Ate dinner with Atreyu the Masked LLama the saturday before Christmas, gave him a very cute, fluffy stuffed llama, complete with mask :smallbiggrin:
Visited El Jaspero and wife in Dec while catlover and lavagirl went to a Hannah Montana concert :smallsmile:
Got two kitties, one in Jan? or so named Jessie, the second kitty after I came home from Iraq (adopted one from the neighbor who had to many (5)) named Kenja
moved work centers, didn't have to move to another state or another house
Found out Kenja likes to play fetch and is a very affectionate kitty

Cons

Went to Baghdad, Iraq on a deployment, hated the heat and the dust, missed catlover from March thru August, missed her birthday and mine
Injured my lower back, spent the 5 days before christmas hobbling around like a cripple, it still hurts
still single, no hope in sight
moved to a 24/7 weather operations (15 OWS) from the weather flight (where it wasn't 24/7)

Well...it seems I had more pros than cons

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-01, 09:22 AM
Pros:
<In order that they come to my mind/I found wording for/decided to include on the list>
Well, being stationed in Japan is always a "Pro", and I guess I can count it for '07 becuase I got here in the last days of '06

I got to actually WORK - instead of just School and Training.

I got to go underway.

I've met some really cool folk.

I found OotS and GiantITP.

I Made E-4 (my first time up, too! ^.^)

Cons:
<In even less of a particular order>

Well, I'm away from my family for the first time in my life.

That time spent underway? It was on the KittyHawk.

I'm still not a shellback.

I've met some real jerks, too.

I'm still a generally depressed bum.

I worked literally every holiday except for Christmas.

Denied port to Hong Kong. Yes, I'm still miffed about that.

~~~
Only slightly more Cons, and those that are there weigh heavier in my book. Yay for negetivity!

Aramil Liadon
2008-01-01, 10:56 AM
I would say, though careless consideration of a number of factors, that 2007 could have been much better. It sucked, actually. I, during 2007, could have been/behaved much better, worked harder, and could probably have improved the year for myself and those around me if I had really tried. However, in the end, I wouldn't have missed it if I could, and I came out a better and more experienced person than I went in.
In the end, I guess that's what counts.

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-01, 11:19 AM
Pros:
-Graduated from high school
-Got into the college of my choice.
-Rediscovered my inner pianist
-Made good friends at college, and have a more active social life than in high school.
-Seizure-free for 2 years now, and my new meds aren't subduing my personality
-Found GITP :smallsmile:

Cons:
-Failed 2 classes (sociology and music theory)
-Got into a huge fight with some friends from high school, over which our group is now divided
-STILL fail to have a boyfriend
-Monthly emotional crises based on my complete lack of plan or passion
-Lost 10 pounds, gained it all back over the summer/in college
-Worked as a telemarketer for 3 months at minimum wage, made only $210. TREAT YOUR TELEMARKETERS NICELY!

A pretty evenly divided year. I can easily ignore the bad things. :smalltongue: Except the class failure. >_< I will improve upon that.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-01-01, 11:26 AM
Fare the well 2007.

Pros
Discovered OOTS in March.
Joined forum in April.
Made many fantastic forum friends. (Especially RS)
Thanks to the forums my computer skils increased a hundred fold.
Thanks to this place my ability to interact with people is also far better.
I got honest appraisal of my writing talents. (I used to think yhey were mediocre at best)
I found out I can actually help people.
My Rainbows.
Excellent GCSE and AS results.
I got into my first choice college and it's one of the best in the country.
My book is becoming a reality.
Poems.
I was told I have a real chance of getting into Oxford.

Cons.
The first three months were virtual hell.
I had a grand total of one friend; who lived 38 miles away.
People I thought were my friends were total jerks.
I lost three family members through long painful illnesses.
I had reached the point where I had no life but books and school.
I was on the verge of giving up writing all together.
Family life was and is still awful.

Overall, it's been a great year. I don't regret a thing.

bluish_wolf
2008-01-01, 11:30 AM
It's a pity we are no longer in the year of the Bond. Goodbye, two, double-oh seven.

SexyOchreJelly
2008-01-01, 11:53 AM
Pros:

Eyes opened.
New friends.
New experiences.
Finished GCSE's.

Cons:

Having to re-sit MATHS.
A levels
-Too much work
-Not enough satisfaction
-Alienating

It's been alright. Nothing special.

Lianserin
2008-01-01, 02:29 PM
I say good riddance 2007

pro's
I finally graduated highschool
got my boyfriend to finally listen to me

con's
39 throat infections
dropping out of college after 8 weeks

good riddance 2007 and bring on 2008

Emrylon
2008-01-01, 02:44 PM
A good year overall

Pros

Got good exam results
Turned 18
Passed my driving test
Got a car
Got a lot better on the bass
Decided what i want to do in university
Made some good friends
Played some really good gigs with both my bands
Went to a couple of fun parties
Had a fantastic month in Ecudor

Cons
My cousin died of Cancer on Christmas day
Havn't got into a relationship at all

Think thats it...

Thrythlind
2008-01-01, 02:51 PM
Pros:

Earned Teacher Certification
Self Published Part 1 of Story My Lulu Storefront (http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1090523)
Found some new webcomics

Cons:

Lost my first American teaching job
Lost my apartment
Had laryngitis for most of the first three months
Had trouble finding a new job.
Probably not be able to afford going to A-Kon this year

Reinboom
2008-01-01, 02:51 PM
Pros:
Experiencing a multitude of different RPGs (of the tabletop variety)
Finding OOTS
Finding these forums
GenCon
Playgrounders at GenCon
Everything I have learned in studies
Being told "yes" to.
Being personally thanked for my DMing.
Playgrounders... <3 so so so much
Visiting new places I haven't been to before
Satisfaction of popular entertainment I've always been out of the loop on.
Great roommates - except 1...
Being so easily accepted after revealing to others..

Cons:
Death threats from extended family
Financial issues
Running into a brickwall while switching colleges, causing temporary insecurity of home
Being broken up with by the two people I was dating earlier in the year.
That one HORRID roommate
hurting someone by not revealing.

(no particular order)

2007 was a roller coaster.
I think that it was a great year overall...

adanedhel9
2008-01-01, 05:32 PM
Pros

Ran some good games of D&D.
Progressed to round 4 of Paizo's RPG Superstar (http://www.paizo.com/rpgsuperstar) contest.
Got to travel cross-country on a customer's pocketbook.
Rediscovered books after taking a break due to academic overload.

Cons

Ran some not-so-good games of D&D.
Didn't get to play in any significant games.
Didn't get the promotion I was expecting, and on top of it got a pittance for an annual raise.

Overall... pretty boring. Not much big happened, either good or bad. I'd put it at slightly better than average.

dual_wielder
2008-01-01, 10:14 PM
Pros:
Started the most mature, healthy, and loving relationship of my life (still going on)
Finally started to relax, huge improvement in attitude
Branched out, made friends

Cons:
Grandfather died. He was the only grandparent I ever had a meaningful relationship with...
Big falling out between my favorite Aunt and the rest of the family. Some unforgivable things happened, so that's the last I will see of her.
Dog I have owned since the age of 2 died in a horrible way. Best dog you could ask for.
Dad was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. On the day of the operation, the insurance company called up and said they weren't going to cover the operation because it was a robotic procedure. We had to settle for a procedure that may not have completely eliminated the cancer.

Started out fine, then June-October were absolutely horrible. But things are looking up. Here's to a great 2008.

Evil_Pacifist
2008-01-02, 01:03 AM
Pros:

Met some pretty awesome people.

I'm no longer an ignored asocial shut-in who kills people who try to talk to me. This kind of ties in with the first one.

Discovered my inner metalhead!

Obtained duct tape pirate hat.

Bit somebody with a hammer.

Cons:

They'll only hurt me if I let them. Best not to dwell on these things.

Last_resort_33
2008-01-02, 09:08 AM
Pros:

Decided on a date for our wedding.
Bought a House.
God a job that I like.
Two GitP Meets

Cons:

Emily's Grandfather had to have his leg chopped off and thus will not be able to make it to the wedding
I failed my degree
My mortgage payments are barely affordable on my wage.
I had my car stolen
I had the replacement car driven into
Twice
Spent every penny I've ever saved.
Lost some of my younger friends to Universities.
Almost driven myself insane with overwork and stress. (Seriously)

Telonius
2008-01-02, 10:16 AM
Pros
Bought a beautiful new house.
Got a ton of work done on my book.
Finally got a cell phone.

Cons
Hearing getting steadily worse.
Wife and I went through two miscarriages.

Good riddance, 2007.

Argent
2008-01-02, 04:10 PM
Looking back, 2007 was one heck of a good year.

Pros:

Deepened and strengthened the relationship with my girlfriend; we celebrated our one-year anniversary in December, and I could hardly be happier. I'm a very lucky man.
Left a very tough and unrewarding job for another opportunity; the new job has its tough and irritating moments, like any, but it's a great place to learn and it's much, much better than the old job.
Dropped about fifteen pounds and improved cardiovascular fitness a lot; ran a few 5K's and an 8K.
Continuing to learn a lot about myself and improve some bad habits that I'm not fond of. Overall, grew up a little.

Cons:

Spent more than I wanted to; I need to get a better handle on my spending patterns.
Ate more than I wanted to; I still have some weight I really want to get rid of.

So, stuff to improve and work on, but I can't complain too loudly.