PDA

View Full Version : Way around death by old age

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-12-30, 08:27 PM
Before somebody can die by old age, he can have a druid kill him then reincarnate him. With this method, he can avoid death as long as he wants. He just needs to befriend a lot of druids.

Just a thought. Would this work?

MCerberus
2007-12-30, 08:29 PM
Well after a few go arounds I'd think that there would be swarms of inevitables on him, but yes.

EvilElitest
2007-12-30, 08:31 PM
how would know what he would come back as? Being a Chicken can't be that great
from
EE

2007-12-30, 08:33 PM
Well after a few go arounds I'd think that there would be swarms of inevitables on him, but yes.

Well, by that point, he's most likely epic level. Maruts are CR 15. He can likely take several out easily.

how would know what he would come back as? Being a Chicken can't be that great
There's only a 1% chance of being reincarnated as a nonhumanoid.

Inyssius Tor
2007-12-30, 08:39 PM
...Eh? sigged this exchange:
Hmmm... that's interesting. I would probably rule that 'the gods' have ordained that each person gets only a certain amount of time alive, and once you have reached that age, you die, and nothing can bring you back because there's nothing left binding your soul to the material world. In short, no. But there's an interesting line of thought that a wish spell could give you extra time, up to a maximum of two wishes in a lifetime...

Also, it might be possible but highly discouraged.*

*discourage: v. 3to send a marut strike force to take down the annoyance

So get yourself killed some other way and let someone cast Reincarnate on your corpse. You'll lose a level (maybe more than one when you don't like your new form and wish to try anew ... or cast Wish or Miracle to be your original race again) but that's better than being dead for all eternity. And with your new youthful body you have enough time for new exciting adventures to gain more levels.

That type of rules abuse just screams marut death squad.

Irreverent Fool
2007-12-30, 08:41 PM
Since you're worried about dying by old age, I'll assume you're worried about more than simply the crunch since death by old age is usually a concern of more heavy roleplayers. You may also then be worried about the mention in the spell description that says something along the lines of 'the character remembers most of their previous life and experiences but is a new being'. So for a character seeking immortality, this isn't the best solution. But yes, technically it'll work. There've been discussions about this here before. :smallsmile:

Edit: And about druids, unless said character was championing nature in some way and there was nobody else around willing or able to do the job, I imagine they might not be willing to reincarnate him simply in a whole 'death is a part of life' reasoning.

Of course, being a 4th-level druid spell, a wizard would be capable of performing a wish to duplicate it so that point becomes moot.

#Raptor
2007-12-30, 08:54 PM
Maruts are Organization: Solitary.

So no swarms of maruts or marut strike forces.

/E: Also, being reincarnated as something else than a humanoid can be a good thing. Say you reincarnate as a ancient dragon... :smallsmile:

GryffonDurime
2007-12-30, 08:55 PM
You know, I read a lot of threads at once using tabs in Firefox, so when I saw this thread title and I thought I was still in Friendly Banter...

...Anyway, I think even an Epic Chicken wouldn't have much to fear from Maruts. By then, even a Wizard should have attained so many abilities from Prestige Classes and Epic feats that it shouldn't matter.

Dorizzit
2007-12-30, 08:57 PM
Just be an Elan. No death from old age!

puppyavenger
2007-12-30, 08:57 PM
Just hire a high priced lawyer then wish for eternal youth. or turn yourself into a dragon, or gain dvr 0.

Aquillion
2007-12-30, 09:01 PM
Or just go Green Star Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a) for ten levels, although that requires access to starmetal and wasting ten levels on an otherwise pretty bad PRC.

...what other PRCs are there that grant actual immortality?

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 09:07 PM
...Anyway, I think even an Epic Chicken wouldn't have much to fear from Maruts. By then, even a Wizard should have attained so many abilities from Prestige Classes and Epic feats that it shouldn't matter.

Epic Chicken Wizard, priority feats are:

1) Automatic Silent/Still spells.

Also, Chicken should have a -1 or -2 LA.

marjan
2007-12-30, 09:08 PM
Green Star Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a)

Death is probably better option.:smallwink:

puppyavenger
Or just go Green Star Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a) for ten levels, although that requires access to starmetal and wasting ten levels on an otherwise pretty bad PRC.

...what other PRCs are there that grant actual immortality?

If you're a dragon then dragon ascendant grants DvR 0, which means you never age along with all the other nifty immunities.

Gralamin
True Mind Switch is the trick to avoiding old age. The fact you need to be a Telepath or an epic Psion is of secondary concern.

graymachine
2007-12-30, 09:12 PM
Actually all the character needs to do is go Epic. There is a feat in Epic that extends your lifespan by 2/3rds of your race's normal lifespan, if I recall correctly. if you are worried about dying of old age, then there is always the option of going undead. If you're evil, go lich, if you're good, go Deathless.

bugsysservant
2007-12-30, 09:12 PM
Well, Dread Necromancer grants immortality, and while not a PrC, its far more worthwhile than Green Star Adept.

2007-12-30, 09:15 PM
Actually all the character needs to do is go Epic. There is a feat in Epic that extends your lifespan by 2/3rds of your race's normal lifespan, if I recall correctly. if you are worried about dying of old age, then there is always the option of going undead. If you're evil, go lich, if you're good, go Deathless.

Can you take this feat multiple times?

puppyavenger
2007-12-30, 09:21 PM
;3728454']Can you take this feat multiple times?

yes, yes you can.

Woland
2007-12-30, 09:23 PM
I'd say homebrew away with this one. Scrolls of immortality, a really well-worded Wish spell, a bunch of ranks in knowledge (immortality) for research, or hell, just have the DM whip you up an adventure or two where the end prize is immortality instead of a magic item.

It really is a shame that Wizards doesn't supply that kind of thing, though. Kind of silly for them not to.

2007-12-30, 09:26 PM
just have the DM whip you up an adventure or two where the end prize is immortality

Your DM takes requests? Where can I find him?

kpenguin
2007-12-30, 09:27 PM
Hey! I was quoted!

Anyway, you could try living indefinitely in the Astral Plane.

Sleet
2007-12-30, 09:32 PM
;3728284']Well, by that point, he's most likely epic level. Maruts are CR 15.

Add a few HD or class levels.

graymachine
;3728454']Can you take this feat multiple times?

Yes, you can. This is generally conceded, since the feat doesn't say it can't be taken multiple times and this is one of the only real ways to give you the time to establish a church that worships you to the extent that you can start taking Divine Rank, assuming that you want to become a god. Which is, of course, the goal of the wizard class.

EvilElitest

:smallredface:

My player character will hate you for this
from,
EE

RTGoodman
2007-12-30, 09:38 PM
If you're a dragon then dragon ascendant grants DvR 0, which means you never age along with all the other nifty immunities.

That's from Draconomicon, right? I don't have that one. Here's a question - does it require type to be Dragon? Because I'm pretty sure that in either Races of the Dragon or Dragon Magic there has to be a way to get the Dragon type.

graymachine
2007-12-30, 09:46 PM
Also, as has been pointed out by others, there are classes that make you immune to dying from old age. The most notable are Green Star Adept and Alienist.

Grim Greyscale
2007-12-30, 09:50 PM
That's from Draconomicon, right? I don't have that one. Here's a question - does it require type to be Dragon? Because I'm pretty sure that in either Races of the Dragon or Dragon Magic there has to be a way to get the Dragon type.

Nope, have to be a True Dragon, not just the dragon type.

bingo_bob
2007-12-30, 10:11 PM
Cloud Anchorite does it too. No aging, no dying... Pretty good deal. Oh, you could also be a warforged.

Gralamin
2007-12-30, 10:17 PM
Cloud Anchorite does it too. No aging, no dying... Pretty good deal. Oh, you could also be a warforged.

Or a Renegade Mastermaker

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 10:57 PM
Nope, have to be a True Dragon, not just the dragon type.

Dragonwrought Kobold is a True Dragon.

Kaelik
2007-12-30, 10:59 PM
Have we learned nothing from Vecna? Undead Gods are still Gods. Become a Necropolitian, get to work on that church in you non-Epic levels, by the time you get to 25 you'll be taking Divine Ranks.

Now just to choose your Portfolio.

MCerberus
2007-12-30, 11:12 PM
Now people saying "epic chicken": Other means other humanoid. The spell changes you into something similiar. For instance a wolf may be reincarnated as a a jackal or chihuahua. At least I think that's how it is. My books are downstairs and I'm extraordinarily lazy.

Also Maruts are intellegent. Saying they can't work together is like saying adventuring parties couldn't exist because it doesn't list Party: 1 + 1 Spellcaster of any race + 1 Cleric of any race etc... under the listing for halflings.

Ganurath
2007-12-30, 11:34 PM
I find being an Elan to be a far more simple solution, if you ask me.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-30, 11:37 PM
There's a ritual to become an Elan that you can undertake. Unfortunately, nobody knows what it is (including the folks at WotC), so you have to actually buddy up with an Elan to become an Elan (or maybe you could get kidnapped by one. I've always figured that Elans abduct innocent villagers, like the Borg or vampires). Also, there's the slight downside of completely losing yourself, along with all those class levels you've worked so hard to get, and becoming a first-level loser who has to work his way back up all over again.

If that sounds too costly, I hear there's a spell in the BoVD that increases your lifespan at the cost of another's. The downside here is that it's in the BoVD. There's a reason I've never read the spell itself.

If you're a telepath, you could just go with true mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm). As far as I can tell, the power can affect any creature within the HD limit, regardless of type, provided it's alive and vulnerable to mind-affecting spells. That includes Juvenile Gold Dragons. You don't get any draconic magical powers, but you do get all extraordinary abilities, qualities, and physical scores. Not to mention immortality and the fun of being a Gold Dragon. Alternatively, you could TMS with an infant prior to your defeat. Let them think your ritual backfired and destroyed your mind forever, while you can use your powers to subtly manipulate those around your new form into rebuilding your lost empire. Extra credit if you manage this with the child of your enemies: It's up to you whether you personally torture "mommy and daddy" to death or just twist and corrupt them into your vile servants. One final possibility: Who hasn't wanted to run one of those corrupt cults in which the most physically adept in the empire are abducted and used as vessels to contain the Evil Overlord's consciousness? I know I have! (Bonus points if you can get them to do it willingly!)

Let's see... there's the obvious things... lichdom (bah, who wants their soul tied to some trinket?), Extended Life Span (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#extendedLifeSpan) (boring!), reincarnation (not Evil enough)... I think we've pretty much got it covered.

BRC
2007-12-30, 11:39 PM
The most simple solution can be completed by any 1st level character
Step 1: Die a horrible death, possibly involving a Doily, Four Kobolds, El Pollo De Muerto (Note to self, stat out El Pollo De Muerto), a battleaxe, and a nice hot cup of tea.
Step 2: don't have anybody willing to pay the money needed to raise you
Step 3: Congradulations, you are no longer at risk of dieing from old age.

Gralamin
2007-12-30, 11:43 PM
There's a ritual to become an Elan that you can undertake. Unfortunately, nobody knows what it is (including the folks at WotC), so you have to actually buddy up with an Elan to become an Elan (or maybe you could get kidnapped by one. I've always figured that Elans abduct innocent villagers, like the Borg or vampires). Also, there's the slight downside of completely losing yourself, along with all those class levels you've worked so hard to get, and becoming a first-level loser who has to work his way back up all over again.

If that sounds too costly, I hear there's a spell in the BoVD that increases your lifespan at the cost of another's. The downside here is that it's in the BoVD. There's a reason I've never read the spell itself.

If you're a telepath, you could just go with true mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm). As far as I can tell, the power can affect any creature within the HD limit, regardless of type, provided it's alive and vulnerable to mind-affecting spells. That includes Juvenile Gold Dragons. You don't get any draconic magical powers, but you do get all extraordinary abilities, qualities, and physical scores. Not to mention immortality and the fun of being a Gold Dragon. Alternatively, you could TMS with an infant prior to your defeat. Let them think your ritual backfired and destroyed your mind forever, while you can use your powers to subtly manipulate those around your new form into rebuilding your lost empire. Extra credit if you manage this with the child of your enemies: It's up to you whether you personally torture "mommy and daddy" to death or just twist and corrupt them into your vile servants. One final possibility: Who hasn't wanted to run one of those corrupt cults in which the most physically adept in the empire are abducted and used as vessels to contain the Evil Overlord's consciousness? I know I have! (Bonus points if you can get them to do it willingly!)

Let's see... there's the obvious things... lichdom (bah, who wants their soul tied to some trinket?), Extended Life Span (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#extendedLifeSpan) (boring!), reincarnation (not Evil enough)... I think we've pretty much got it covered.

Only thing your forgetting is using the Fortify Epic Spellcasting seed to increase your life span.

Collin152
2007-12-30, 11:48 PM
Also, as has been pointed out by others, there are classes that make you immune to dying from old age. The most notable are Green Star Adept and Alienist.

Alienest does not work that way.
When you reach the point where you would normally die of old age, you are instead abducted suddenly by aliens, with no body left behind.

Callista
2007-12-30, 11:55 PM
Hasn't yet been much discussion of the possibility of becoming undead by some means. Somebody mentioned Necropolitan; then there's always old-fashioned lichdom... But you could get more creative and become a vampire, wight, ghul, etc... They all live indefinitely, as long as they can feed and aren't killed by somebody; and a good disguise (magical preferred) can easily keep anybody from knowing you're undead.

tyckspoon
2007-12-31, 12:00 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold is a True Dragon.

The class itself, however, requires a BAB of +30 and eating your entire horde.. congratulations, you are now a level 30 Epic character with no wealth (and you aren't actually a dragon. Good luck fighting much of anything at Epic levels naked.) And you've got another 12 levels in the class to go before you achieve immortality. I suppose you *could* achieve immortality by way of Dragon Ascendant, but there have got to be like a hundred easier ways to do it between levels 30 and 42.

Randel
2007-12-31, 12:10 AM
Take ranks in the renegade mastermaker prestige class.

Get into it at level 5 (with either artificer or wizard levels)
take 10 levels in renegade mastermaker. though you lose 2 levels of spellcasting, you now have no maximum age.

If an inevitable comes after you, you have some experience with constructs, take another level of artificer to get Disable Construct infusion.

or you can take the Warforged Jugernaught prestige class. 5 levels of that and you are now naturally immune to mind-affecting abilities, death effects, and ability damage.

at level 20, you are immune to anything that a Marut can do to you, even discounting the things you can craft. If you feel like it, you could even start creating your own counter-inevitables to make sure you stay alive.

kpenguin
2007-12-31, 12:13 AM
Alienest does not work that way.
When you reach the point where you would normally die of old age, you are instead abducted suddenly by aliens, with no body left behind.

Technically you don't die... though you probably experience a fate worse than death.

graymachine
2007-12-31, 12:16 AM
Well, aside from the lich/deathless answers I've already mentioned, you could do well with vampire, or even the weaker version of Vampire Scion from the Complete Vampire book, if you are dealing with a more "enlightened" world, such as Planescape. The second most powerful member of the Dustmen in Sigil is a vampire that holds considerable power and standing in Sigil and is, also, pressing 5000 years of age.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-31, 12:20 AM
The class itself, however, requires a BAB of +30 and eating your entire horde.. congratulations, you are now a level 30 Epic character with no wealth (and you aren't actually a dragon. Good luck fighting much of anything at Epic levels naked.) And you've got another 12 levels in the class to go before you achieve immortality. I suppose you *could* achieve immortality by way of Dragon Ascendant, but there have got to be like a hundred easier ways to do it between levels 30 and 42.

Acually..with epic B.A.B. being 1/2 you' d be ECL 40 if you took only fighter levels (or other full BAB class) till epics..

Just..ya'know...FYI...

tyckspoon
2007-12-31, 12:35 AM
Acually..with epic B.A.B. being 1/2 you' d be ECL 40 if you took only fighter levels (or other full BAB class) till epics..

Just..ya'know...FYI...

Oh, right. I forgot this wasn't being applied to an actual Dragon, which doesn't have to play by those rules. It just has to grow until it has 30 or more racial hit dice. Although that still leaves it waiting until somewhere between the Old and Ancient age categories; quicker to take a few class levels while you're waiting for another half a millenia to pass so you can get big enough.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-12-31, 01:48 AM
Do outsiders die of old age?

marjan
2007-12-31, 02:17 AM
Do outsiders die of old age?

Nope. They don't even die of dieing. :smalltongue:

wormwood
2007-12-31, 02:43 AM
Would it be possible to use PAO to just polymorph into a young adult human? How about just PAO into an Elan? Someone above mentioned houseruling a Scroll of Immortality... just make that a scroll of Polymorph Any Object. :)

Iudex Fatarum
2007-12-31, 02:53 AM
in which case 20th level monk. they become an outsider (native).

Aquillion
2007-12-31, 06:06 AM
Would it be possible to use PAO to just polymorph into a young adult human? How about just PAO into an Elan? Someone above mentioned houseruling a Scroll of Immortality... just make that a scroll of Polymorph Any Object. :)I don't think that either of those would work. The problem is that Polymorph Any Object doesn't actually let you change your race, not in the way you're thinking. It reshapes you into a new form, and gives you many of the powers of that form (from a very long list, including things inhereted from Polymorph and new things added along the way), but age and lifespan are not among the things listed as being granted by it, either in the spell itself or any of the spells it 'inherets'.

In other words, even if you PAO yourself into an Elan... you're still just an old man, with a permanent enchantment on him putting him in the shape of an Elan and giving him many Elan abilities. If you PAO yourself into a baby, you're a baby-shaped old man with baby stats. But you continue to age as an old man, continue to have the same age penalties/bonuses you did before, and you'll die of old age as normal when your old-man lifespan expires.

MorkaisChosen
2007-12-31, 06:30 AM
FR Elves might (with a willing DM) be able to go Baelnorn, I think...

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-31, 08:36 AM
The Epic spell 'Ioulaum's Longevity' from LEoF gives can extend your life with each casting, by slaughtering stuff.

JackMage666
2007-12-31, 08:43 AM
Cancer Mage (BoVD), sort of... He can turn into a disease form, in which he doesn't age, starve, or anything. However, once he resorts to Human type form again, the biological clock tarts ticking again. Of course, turning back into disease form doesn't take too much.....

Leon
2007-12-31, 09:44 AM
the Ruathar PrC from Races of the wilds has a prolonging effect for ageing (its aimed at non elves but elves can still benifit from it)

Iron Kingdom Druids gain a % based on their spell casting level to extend their lives

marjan
2007-12-31, 10:06 AM
in which case 20th level monk. they become an outsider (native).

Not sure that it works since native outsiders are a bit diferent from other outsiders. They still need to eat, breath and sleep and they can be resurected. I think that thieflings and asimars have listed max age in RoD. And BTW how do you think to survive as the monk that long.:smallconfused:

Enlong
2007-12-31, 10:40 AM

WRONG! When an Alienist's time is up, they're whisked away by C'thulu to dimensions of madness unknown and are never seen again.

FlyMolo
2007-12-31, 10:50 AM
Levels in wizard. Simple. And Aasimar and tieflings aren't really outsiders, they're just planetouched. Same as people who are spelltouched don't die when you dispel magic on them.

I'm not totally sure about that, though.

Talya
2007-12-31, 10:52 AM
And BTW how do you think to survive as the monk that long.:smallconfused:

Monks are very survivable--almost indestructable in fact. That's about all they can do well. If you encounter a monk on the battlefield, your best bet is to ignore him. He will take forever to kill (if you can manage it--he probably just gets away), and can't really hurt you.

Talya
2007-12-31, 10:55 AM
As for Immortality, this isn't some big rare thing. Items, templates, and feats that extend your lifespan are staples of D&D. Old Matron Yvonnel Baenre was over 2000 years old when Bruenor finally killed her. That's significantly longer than your typical drow can live. (Mind you, few drow ever reach venerable ages...they tend to kill each other off.)

marjan
2007-12-31, 10:59 AM
And Aasimar and tieflings aren't really outsiders, they're just planetouched.

They realy are. They're just native outsiders which is a bit diferent.

Talya: You don't get XP for running away. XP is awarded for fighting so you won't level up that way. And didn't you met patient enemies at least once. If they want you dead they will get you dead.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-31, 12:35 PM
You do if you run past it the monster.

Solo
2007-12-31, 01:00 PM
WRONG! When an Alienist's time is up, they're whisked away by C'thulu to dimensions of madness unknown and are never seen again.

To wile their time away in a holocaust of freedom and ecstasy.

Aquillion
2007-12-31, 01:14 PM
Talya: You don't get XP for running away. XP is awarded for fighting so you won't level up that way. And didn't you met patient enemies at least once. If they want you dead they will get you dead.That depends. You get XP for overcoming challenges and accomplishing goals, not for killing things or fighting specifically. If your 'challenge' is that a huge nasty monster attacks you out of nowhere, simply surviving might be enough to qualify as overcoming it, and you'd earn XP by successfully fleeing. On the other hand, I don't think attacking a dragon and then immediately running away before it can do anything would get you anything...

marjan
2007-12-31, 01:19 PM
That depends. You get XP for overcoming challenges and accomplishing goals, not for killing things or fighting specifically. If your 'challenge' is that a huge nasty monster attacks you out of nowhere, simply surviving might be enough to qualify as overcoming it, and you'd earn XP by successfully fleeing. On the other hand, I don't think attacking a dragon and then immediately running away before it can do anything would get you anything...

Yes, but that is rare ocasion, so you would need elf to live long enough to get enough XP that way, unless your DM just likes to see you running. And your party will probably kill you themselves if run of every time something attacks you.

Wooter
2007-12-31, 01:30 PM
Wait, do Warforged die of old age? I don't know much about them, other than the fact that they are awesome.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-31, 01:32 PM
Yes, but that is rare ocasion, so you would need elf to live long enough to get enough XP that way, unless your DM just likes to see you running. And your party will probably kill you themselves if run of every time something attacks you.

How may adventures do you go one where the goal is kill every monster you meet.

marjan
2007-12-31, 01:33 PM
Wait, do Warforged die of old age? I don't know much about them, other than the fact that they are awesome.

Theoreticaly, no. They get to middle aged category with 150 years (or something like that) and after that don't age at all. But since there are no warforged that old noone knows for sure, meaning that is mostly up to your DM.

marjan
2007-12-31, 01:35 PM
How may adventures do you go one where the goal is kill every monster you meet.

How many adventures you can go around most of the monsters?

Kaelik
2007-12-31, 01:40 PM

Not most. All is what that style of Monk requires.

Enlong
2007-12-31, 01:40 PM
To wile their time away in a holocaust of freedom and ecstasy.

Or to be munched.

Either way, the player doesn't have their character anymore, so it still doesn't work.

Aquillion
2007-12-31, 01:44 PM
How many adventures you can go around most of the monsters?Well, really, now we're getting into adventure-specific questions... it's enough to say, I think that the D&D rules do at least support entirely or nearly combat-free campaigns, and campaigns where the players attempt to resolve or evade every single melee fight without battles to the death. In particular, someone who diplomances every single encounter still earns xp for them.

Players are also (in theory, and depending on the DM) allowed to set their own goals, and earn xp based on how difficult those goals are. If a player decides on a whim to sneak into the palace and steal the king's favorite bathrobe, they could earn a lot of xp for accomplishing it, even if they manage to avoid fighting a single opponent on the way.

Most adventures aren't run this way, but it's a perfectly legitimate way to play, and supported by the rules, so I don't think you can entirely say "Character XYZ could never advance because they can't fight." PCs tend to fight because they think fighting is fun. That doesn't mean that every single PC or character in the world has to go around killing things in order to get better at magic.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-31, 01:45 PM

I haven't checked them all. For the ones I've played you can go past the majority of monsters the majority of adventures. For all, quite a few.

Talya
2007-12-31, 01:55 PM
The monk would just have to pick CR's appropriate to his level. (unlike the wizard, who can beat CR's much higher than his level.) It's not like the monk is functionally useless...it's just weak compared to the fighter...which is weak compared to a caster. He can still beat most NPC opponents and even most monsters of appropriate CR to a single enemy. (Since a CR10 encounter is designed for a party of 4 at level 10...a CR7 or CR8 encounter might be appropriate for a single player at level 10.)

marjan
2007-12-31, 02:08 PM
The monk would just have to pick CR's appropriate to his level. (unlike the wizard, who can beat CR's much higher than his level.) It's not like the monk is functionally useless...it's just weak compared to the fighter...which is weak compared to a caster. He can still beat most NPC opponents and even most monsters of appropriate CR to a single enemy. (Since a CR10 encounter is designed for a party of 4 at level 10...a CR7 or CR8 encounter might be appropriate for a single player at level 10.)

Aha. That is funny.

Indon
2007-12-31, 02:09 PM
As has been noted, monk Perfect Self does not grant immortality. But if you gain immortality in a different way, Monk or Druid would grant you eternal youth.

And actually, being a Monk allows for extremely easy leveling, since running past (and/or away from) an encounter counts as overcoming it. A Monk who just runs around the forest taunting random packs of orcs and goblins could gain xp very fast (after all, if you take no damage, what's limiting you to 4 encounters a day?). In contrast, actually fighting solo with most character classes, including Monk, would be a hassle.

Though, good luck trying to maintain a Lawful alignment if your character gains levels by running into Dragon lairs, bopping the dragon on the nose while sleeping, then running away giggling.

marjan
2007-12-31, 02:13 PM
As has been noted, monk Perfect Self does not grant immortality. But if you gain immortality in a different way, Monk or Druid would grant you eternal youth.

And actually, being a Monk allows for extremely easy leveling, since running past (and/or away from) an encounter counts as overcoming it. A Monk who just runs around the forest taunting random packs of orcs and goblins could gain xp very fast (after all, if you take no damage, what's limiting you to 4 encounters a day?). In contrast, actually fighting solo with most character classes, including Monk, would be a hassle.

Though, good luck trying to maintain a Lawful alignment if your character gains levels by running into Dragon lairs, bopping the dragon on the nose while sleeping, then running away giggling.

As long as there are no laws prohibiting you from molesting dragons you should have no problems with alignment. :smallbiggrin:

Aquillion
2007-12-31, 02:18 PM
Though, good luck trying to maintain a Lawful alignment if your character gains levels by running into Dragon lairs, bopping the dragon on the nose while sleeping, then running away giggling.This tactic reminds me of a silly idea I had a while back:

Ok, so we earn xp by overcoming challenges, right? If we attack a dragon, then escape, we get some xp. So, here's my idea: I am going to beat every dragon in the world. My character hypes themselves up in their head (without telling anyone) until they are completely totally convinced that they're going to go out there and beat up every dragon at once with one hand tied behind their back. They make a firm, solemn vow to themselves (in their head) to beat every dragon. They've decided that every dragon in the world is their enemy, their challenge to overcome.

Then they change their mind. Presto, every dragon in the world has been overcome, level up. Repeat until you're epic level.

Theli
2007-12-31, 02:59 PM
Just curious...why, exactly, can't outsiders die?

marjan
2007-12-31, 03:01 PM
Just curious...why, exactly, can't outsiders die?

They don't age and if you kill them they return to their home plane and cannot return for 24h. The only way for them to die is to get killed on their home plane (I'm not sure if this works though).

Theli
2007-12-31, 03:19 PM
Are you sure about that? I know if they're SUMMONED they get sent back to their home plane as normal for summoned creatures. But I'm not sure if this works if they're CALLED or arrived on the material plane some other way. (Or were killed on their home plane...)

Necromas
2007-12-31, 03:39 PM
Easiest way I see it would just be to pay a high level caster, probably a cleric, to use a spell that extends your lifespan. I'm sure there are a few out there.

Woland
2007-12-31, 03:48 PM
;3728488']Your DM takes requests? Where can I find him?

Yeah, he's a pretty great DM. He's allowing my warlock to research immortality in our campaign, so by level 10 or so he will have probably achieved it. The elves in my DM's homebrew world are going to get pissed off when he inevitably teaches the method to other humans though (they have a 'natural order' complex and they like being longer-lived than humans), so there might end up being some tension in that area.

He homebrew-buffed the warlock class too, integrating Hellfire Warlock into the base class, tweaking a lot of the powers (fixed hideous blow, integrated hideous blow with eldritch glaive, made eldritch blast penetrate spell resistance..) and changing the fluff to my liking --warlock is no longer pact-flavored, more like a Wizard researching proto-magic.

Yeah, I have a lot of fun in my DM's campaigns.

FlyMolo
2007-12-31, 08:11 PM
I like your warlock. It sounds fun to play.

Someone mentioned green star adept earlier. If you have enough levels in wizard, you don't have to be dependent on tracking down bits of stars. You can use eschew materials and minor/major creation. After all, they never said it had to stick around.

Collin152
2007-12-31, 08:27 PM
Of course, most adventureers die of other reasons before reaching old age. Then again, a higher level adventurer can easily buy a resurection. And one of the few things that it can't bring you back from is.. old age.

Well, if your DM keeps track of time, I advise you to become a lich. Ther will be plenty of tiem to become a unique, good lich later.

Aftre all, alignment restrictions only apply to becoming a creature, and PCs are often exempt.

Chronicled
2007-12-31, 08:51 PM
Killoren from Races of the Wild are a LA+0 Fey that stop physically aging once they reach "Old" age and can live indefinitely should they chose to do so. So being a Killoren druid or monk (or any other class/PrC with Timeless Body) is another way to get eternal youth.

As a side note, the Killoren picture in RotW doesn't match their text description (they're supposed to look like half-elves with green/tan skin) at all. :smallconfused:

shaggz076
2007-12-31, 10:51 PM
Well it may not stop you from dying of old age but you get to live for a heck of a long time. Play a Sun elf shade. It would be a +4 LA but yout lifespan goes up to about 10,000 years.

shaggz076
2007-12-31, 10:53 PM
Or you could play an Elan...

Armads
2007-12-31, 11:02 PM
Or a warforged (or do they spontaneously explode when they reach their 'death age').

Chronicled
2007-12-31, 11:17 PM
Or a Killoren.

(The exploding bit's up to DM decision.)

Arioch
2008-01-01, 05:02 AM
An effective evil solution would be the spell steal life (BoVD p106). This allows you to drain ability points from a subject. If you cast it under a full moon, you become 1 week younger for each point you drain.

Solo
2008-01-01, 05:09 AM
Of course, most adventureers die of other reasons before reaching old age. Then again, a higher level adventurer can easily buy a resurection. And one of the few things that it can't bring you back from is.. old age.

Well, if your DM keeps track of time, I advise you to become a lich. Ther will be plenty of tiem to become a unique, good lich later.

Aftre all, alignment restrictions only apply to becoming a creature, and PCs are often exempt.

Well, you have to do something unspeakably evil to be a lich.

Like maybe sacrificing seven orphans to some nameless and long forgotten dark god or something.