PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage Feats

MisterSaturnine
2007-12-31, 12:43 AM
I'm planning out a Swordsage for a PbP campaign on these forums (finally!), and can't figure out what feats I should take. It was obvious where I should look to find help.

He's 5th level (ECL 6, though--he's a Necropolitan for story reasons, and that's not changing), and has 12 Strength, 18 Dexterity, 10 Intelligence, 16 Wisdom, and 8 Charisma. Because he's undead, he has no Constitution score. His maneuvers are focused on the Shadow Hand (primarily), Setting Sun, and Diamond Mind disciplines.

I'm already going for Weapon Finesse, but after that, I'm drawing a blank.

Thoughts?

Dhavaer
2007-12-31, 12:45 AM
Shadow Blade. Adaptive Style at 6th.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-31, 12:46 AM
The lack of a CON score is really going to hurt.

You'll want the Shadow Blade feat, and Adaptive Style. If you're a Necropolitan Human, you can take Shadow Blade and Adaptive Style at level 1 and Weapon Finesse at level 3; pick up Two-Weapon Fighting when you hit 6 (carry two weapons or use the Unarmed variant--you can still use mithral chain shirts without penalty--for Wolf Fang Strike).

MisterSaturnine
2007-12-31, 12:53 AM
I think I'll go with your advice, Rachel Lorelei. Thank you! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, one thing: What's the allure of Adaptive Style? I've heard a lot about how good it is, but I honestly don't see it.

Wordmiser
2007-12-31, 01:01 AM
EDIT: Oh, one thing: What's the allure of Adaptive Style? I've heard a lot about how good it is, but I honestly don't see it.Rather than recover one maneuver in a round of meditation, you recover all of them. This is necessary if you expect a fight to ever go beyond three rounds.

The_Snark
2007-12-31, 01:01 AM
Adaptive Style will let you regain all your maneuvers as a full-round action, as opposed to only one of your maneuvers.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-31, 01:06 AM
I think I'll go with your advice, Rachel Lorelei. Thank you! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, one thing: What's the allure of Adaptive Style? I've heard a lot about how good it is, but I honestly don't see it.

You might've missed that the feat allows you to recover your maneuvers. That's *all* maneuvers as a full-round action, rather than just one, as well as swapping them out for new ones if you like. This means you can actually afford to refresh maneuvers in long combats, and is very useful out of combat--you can walk around with combat maneuvers readied, and if you need, say, Shadow Jaunt or Mountain Hammer for utility purposes, you can swap them in, use them, and then swap your combat maneuvers back in once you're done.

MisterSaturnine
2007-12-31, 01:06 AM
...Oh, my. Huh. I'm...definitely going to have to take that.

nerulean
2007-12-31, 07:31 AM
That clarification was added in errata, so don't worry too much about missing it. It's tasty, though, isn't it? :smallwink:

And Shadow Blade is the feat that Weapon Finesse has been waiting for since the day 3.5 arrived.