PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Favored Soul (Cleric) Spells

NobleSavage
2007-12-31, 01:43 AM
I'm building a Favored Soul bound for the Stormlord PrC, and as I am unfamiliar with the Cleric's spell list, in day to day adventurer use any way, I was wondering what spells would be necessary for my character, as he'd have to choose only a few. Looking to play him as a gish, probably use Inflict spells in conjunction with regular attacks, and thus I am considering taking the Smiting Spell feat as well. Thoughts?

Reinboom
2007-12-31, 02:26 AM
What is books are available?
How "gish" do you want?
Are you the only divine caster?

Highly recommended spells to cover divine basics: Lesser Vigor, and Close Wounds. Later on, Vigor. That gets the healing role out of the way.
Beyond this, most of the necessary is campaign based. Eventually, Revivify // Revenance combo is a near must.

For Gishyness:
Classic Cleric Zilla spells will work:
Divine Favor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divineFavor.htm)
Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm)
Righteous Might
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm)

More information on your character idea would help.

marjan
2007-12-31, 02:44 AM
I would avoid spells like raise dead, revivify, restoration and such, unless your party members die on daily basis. Keep couple of scrolls just in case the situation happens. The spells you should pick up are buffs and you want to stay clear of the spells that allow saves since DC for them will be pretty low. Spells I can think of right now are:
Divine favor, (Greater) Dispel Magic, Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Recitation, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Bull's Strength, Magic Circle Against [insert alignment here], Freedom of Movement, Break Enchantment...

You should also avoid taking cure spells for every level. Once you get heal you should get rid of other cure spells except for vigor spells.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-31, 02:47 AM
For your third-level spells, try Mass Conviction (SpC), Knight's Move (SpC), and Cure Serious for in-combat healing if it's needed. Channeled Divine Shield (PHB II) is also not bad. For second-level, try Bull's Strength, Close Wounds (SpC), Divine Insight (SpC), and... oh, Healing Lorecall (combined with any conjuration[healing] spell, this will let you remove all sorts of negative conditions without taking spells specifically for them, as long as you keep your Heal ranks high--you can stop at 10).
For first-level, Divine Favor, Resurgence (SpC), Sign (SpC), Lesser Vigor, and Shield of Faith. Stone Bones (SpC) is also a good, giving everyone in the party some extra AC.

Gishing it up is going to be a little hard--Smiting Spell and inflicts definitely aren't worth it. Just cast Divine Favor (or a defensive buff) on the first round and then position yourself with Knight's Move and go in swinging. If you have more time, you can apply other buffs.

NobleSavage
2007-12-31, 03:54 PM
I'd like to be pretty gishy, not so bandaid. Keep the Cure/Heal spells because staying alive is good, and they damage undead. I'd like to concentrate on damage-ness. Is there a way to channel spells through weapons, as the Spellsword ability?

Also, I'm going to have to pick weapon focus Spear or Javelin, and I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-31, 10:57 PM
Also, I'm going to have to pick weapon focus Spear or Javelin, and I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I can't speak to preference, but you should be picking a deity that has your choice as its favored weapon; a Favored Soul automatically gets deity's weapon focus at 3rd level.

Deities with javelin: Hoar, Laogzed.
Deities with spear: Allitur, Angharradh (longspear/shortspear), Ayailla, Baervan Wildwanderer, Blibdoolpoolp (shortspear), Boldrei, Celestian (shortspear), Daern (shortspear), Eadro (spear/shortspear), Geshtai, Gruumsh, Hiatea (spear/shortspear), Kaelthiere, Kurtulmak, Lurue (shortspear), Skerrit (spear/shortspear), Talos, Telchur, Trithereon.

Note that if there are multiple types of weapons listed, the Favored Soul gets proficiency (at 1st level), Weapon Focus (at 3rd level), and Weapon Specialization (at 12th level) in both/all of them.

Your choices will probably be restricted by your campaign setting, your race, and your alignment; still, there are a good number of choices for a deity if you're going Favored Soul -> Stormlord.

NobleSavage
2007-12-31, 11:26 PM
I believe one must worship Talos for the PrC.

Additionally, I was planning on taking the variant that grants temporary hp when you cast a spell that targets you or your allies. Is this worth the feat?

Curmudgeon
2008-01-01, 12:15 AM
I believe one must worship Talos for the PrC. That's only the standard option:
If you do not have the god Talos in your game then this prestige class works well with any god of storms, obviously; but it's also appropriate for nature deities or clerics and druids that venerate nature or weather in the abstract without worshiping a specific deity.

Starsinger
2008-01-01, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Complete Divine page 65
If you do not have the god Talos in your game then this prestige class works well with any god of storms, obviously; but it's also appropriate for nature deities or clerics and druids that venerate nature or weather in the abstract without worshiping a specific deity.

Don't all druids venerate nature without worshiping a specific deity?

marjan
2008-01-01, 11:31 AM
Don't all druids venerate nature without worshiping a specific deity?

You have to follow a diety in FR if you want to cast spells, I think.

Gardakan
2008-01-01, 03:47 PM
Cure Light Wounds then you buy a wand of Cure Light Wounds. You can learn more spell you want...