PDA

View Full Version : Living Blood (new spell)

Umarth
2007-12-31, 09:07 AM
Here's a nice freaky spell for evil casters. Should be especially fun for a BBEG who has the Golem hiding a little ways off.

Living Blood
Sor/Wiz 9, Cleric 9, Druid 9
Necromancy [Evil]
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Effect: Creates a golem out of your blood
Range: 100 feet (see text)
Duration: Until Dismissed or Golem is killed
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

As you cast this spell your body suffers a thousand tiny cuts and your blood flows out forming a large golem made completely out of blood. You must sacrifice at least 60 hit points to power this spell. The Blood Golem has twice as many hit points as the caster sacrificed.

While the blood golem exisits the caster is immune to hit point damage, ability or level draining effects, and poisions of all types. In addition while the blood golem exists all spells the caster knows are considered two level higher to cast (though this doesn't increase the DC). Thus a second level spell requires a 4th level spell slot Any spells prepared in incorrect spell slots to low for the new level can not be cast.

The spell lasts until the Blood Golem is killed. While the spell is active the hit points sacrificed can not be recovered by any means.

If at any point the Blood Golem is more than 100 feet from the caster the magic animating it immediatly ends and it disentigrates into a large pool of blood.

Name: Blood Golem
Size/Type: Large
Hit Dice: 20d10 +30 (135 or Special)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class 32 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +14 Natural, +7)
Damage Reduction: +10/--
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+30
Attack: Slam +26 melee (2d10+11)
Full Attack: 2 slams +26 melee (2d10+11)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Rampage
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/--, Darkvision 60, Immunity to magic, low light vision, Blood Bond, Blood Form
Saves: Fort: +6, Ref: +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str: 32, Dex: 12, Con: -, Int: -, Wis: 11, Cha: 1
Skills: --
Feats: --
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: Special
Equipment: --

Special Abilities:
Rampage: Every 1d4 rounds a Blood Golem may attack everyone within reach as a full round attack. (Slam +26 melee 2d10+11)
Blood Bond: While the Blood Golem exists and is within 1 mile of its creator the creator takes no damage from physical or magical attacks.
Blood Form: A Blood Golem can be directed to become a pool of liquid blood. While in this form it heals at the same rate as the caster would normally with full bed rest. While in Blood Form the Blood Golem can be attacked normally. The Blood Golem takes 10 minutes to reform from the
Blood Form: Blood Bond: While the golem is within 100 feet of it's creator it's creator is immune to hit point damage, ability or level draining effects, and poisions of all types.
Immunity: The Golem is immune to all magic including magic cast by it's creator.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-31, 09:36 AM
In addition while the blood golem exists all spells the caster knows are considered two level higher to cast (though this doesn't increase the DC). Thus a second level spell requires a 4th level spell slot Any spells prepared in incorrect spell slots to low for the new level can not be cast.

This alone should ban it from being a Wizard, Cleric, and Druid spell. Unless your Druid just spont-casts Summon Nature's Ally all through the duration of the Golem.

(By the way, it's missing a duration text).

Umarth
2007-12-31, 09:45 AM
Fixed.

It's perminant until the golem is killed or the spell is dismissed.

That also helps explain why you might be willing to cast it even with the penalty to spell levels. Cast once and then just start prepping all spells as a higher level.

PirateMonk
2007-12-31, 09:54 AM
This alone should ban it from being a Wizard, Cleric, and Druid spell. Unless your Druid just spont-casts Summon Nature's Ally all through the duration of the Golem.

You could just prepare some spells two levels higher on a day where you prepare this.

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 11:05 AM
There's a spell in the Spell Compendium called extract water. Except it deals dehydration damage to the target and if it kills the target then the extracted water becomes a water elemental.

...it seems like extracting your own blood via thousands of tiny cuts wouldn't be very... healthy for you in the long run. You might want to make the caster fall unconscious and take some constitution damage, or something. At the very least, he should take hit point damage, I think.

Umarth
2007-12-31, 12:22 PM
...it seems like extracting your own blood via thousands of tiny cuts wouldn't be very... healthy for you in the long run. You might want to make the caster fall unconscious and take some constitution damage, or something. At the very least, he should take hit point damage, I think.

From the spell: You must sacrifice at least 60 hit points to power this spell. The Blood Golem has twice as many hit points as the caster sacrificed.

So the caster is down at least 60hps possibly more from the spell. And the Hit points can't be healed while the golem is "alive".

RTGoodman
2007-12-31, 01:54 PM
A couple of questions. First, is this magic immunity the same as other golems (i.e., immune to spells that allow SR, and special effects from certain other spells), or is it just full immunity? There should be a section detailing that.

Second, how is this thing supposed to be stopped? If it's completely immune to magic and "damage from physical and magical attacks" via Blood Bond, how are you supposed to even get its HP down to where it'll go into Blood Form (so it's easier to kill)? And you can't just attack the controller, because he's now immune to hit point damage and a slew of other things. The only way to stop it, to me, would seem to be to hit the creator with a save-or-die, or to somehow move him away from the golem and thus have it fall apart.

Oh, and one nitpick. In the AC breakdown, you have a random +7 that isn't labeled.

Umarth
2007-12-31, 02:23 PM
Immunity should be to everything. I'll take a look at some spells that might affect it. If you have any ideas I'd be happy to look at them.

It's not immune to attacks just magic. The bond protects the caster not the golem. I've clarified that now.

The +7 is a dodge bonus (homebrewed thing for my low magic world) for a normal game I'd just increase it's natural armor by 7.

Thanks for the comments.

smart thog
2007-12-31, 08:11 PM
Finally, a use for 9th level druid spells! At the start of the day put transport via plant on a moss covered stick using spell staff. Then use this spell as a druid (give all but one hit point), then cast heal until back to full hp, Or your golem starts to die. Next, Blast away at the enemy until your golem is knocked under 50 HP, then use the to go to any place that has moss growing on it. You live to see another day. Also, I do not see how this spell is evil, just cool. Evil requires using evil forces (demons, negative energy, the like) or Bringing unnecessary pain to others. Its just like prick your finger to get a callus. Not evil, but strange.

Umarth
2008-01-02, 10:26 AM
Finally, a use for 9th level druid spells! At the start of the day put transport via plant on a moss covered stick using spell staff. Then use this spell as a druid (give all but one hit point), then cast heal until back to full hp, Or your golem starts to die. Next, Blast away at the enemy until your golem is knocked under 50 HP, then use the to go to any place that has moss growing on it. You live to see another day. Also, I do not see how this spell is evil, just cool. Evil requires using evil forces (demons, negative energy, the like) or Bringing unnecessary pain to others. Its just like prick your finger to get a callus. Not evil, but strange.

Couple points:
1) You can't heal the damage caused by this spell while the golem is arround. So you'd be stuck at 1hp but of course you'd also be immune to damage so that's okay.

2) The Transport via Plant wouldn't work on the golem as it's immune to magic.

Still though creating the golem then wildshaping into something horrible and meleeing while compleatly immune to damage wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you toss up protections arround the golem.