PDA

View Full Version : [Creature/Item] I can't get a clear shot!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-31, 10:11 AM
Hive of the Archer's Bane
A hive of the archer's bane looks much like a metallic beehive with a small opening in the bottom. It emits a loud droning as if from the beating wings of thousands of insects. If a proper password is spoken, or the hive thrown, an archer's bane swarm is released. They will remain in the same square as the hive unless directed otherwise by the one who released them.

Faint Abjuration and Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Construct, haste, protection from arrows; Price 10,000 gp; Weight 20 lbs.

-=-=-=-=-

Archer's Bane Swarm

Fine Construct (swarm)
Hit Dice: 6d10 HD (33 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: Fly 260 ft. (good) (52 squares)
Armor Class: 39 (+15 dex, +6 natural, +8 size), touch 33, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-
Attack: Swarm (antimissile)
Full Attack: Swarm (antimissile)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Antimissile
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to weapon damage, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +17, Will +9
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 40, Con -, Int -, Wis 25, Cha 1
Skills: Spot +16
Feats: -
Environment: Any land
Organization: Swarm
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

This swarm appears as a great droning cloud appears to consist of metallic bumblebees, every bit wrought with greatest attention to detail. Their segmented legs are quite long however and appear to be made for grasping.

An archer's bane swarm are fashioned for defense in both the battefield and for personal use. Many a figure worried about assassination from afar goes out surrounded by these creatures which guard him from sniper attacks.

Combat
An archer's bane takes no initiative and simply remains where ordered, attacking nothing but projectile weapons.

Antimissile (Ex): An archer's bane swarm does not deal damage or cause distraction. However, any projectile moving as fast as an arrow that passes through their space are instantly grabbed and pulled to the ground. As such a thrown weapon is not affected, but arrows, bullets and similar would be. Shrapnel, such as from an exploding object, are also nullified. Large projectiles, such as from a catapult, are also unaffected.

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 10:19 AM
That's pretty cool. I take it they completely ignore anyone going through their square?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-31, 10:27 AM
That's pretty cool. I take it they completely ignore anyone going through their square?
Yup, unless its moving really fast.

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 10:31 AM
Well, if it's moving really fast, it's considered a 'large projectile'.

I like the concept, though. A swarm with invisibility would be fun.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-31, 10:36 AM
Well, if it's moving really fast, it's considered a 'large projectile'.
I dunno, a bullet from as gun doesn't have to be that big.

I like the concept, though. A swarm with invisibility would be fun.
Been there, done that :smallwink:

Biting Wind (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1433301&postcount=3)

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 10:59 AM
I'm saying a person moving really fast wouldn't be stopped by the swarm.

And I meant one of these swarms. Just cast invisibility on it.
And put one in each of the castle windows. Then your archers can lean out past the window to fire, but when the invading troops fire, the arrows are stopped just before hitting our guys. ...or something like that.

merge
2007-12-31, 12:48 PM
Does the swarm catch weapons fired FROM its square?

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 12:52 PM
I would assume so, as long as they're moving fast enough.
If not, though... :smallamused:

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-12-31, 12:57 PM
Items that are also creatures: victory, in short.

I'm a little curious as to why thrown weapons are considered too slow?

Abjurer
2007-12-31, 01:05 PM
I think he said any item moving as fast or faster than an arrow. Thrown weapons do not move as fast or faster than an arrow.