PDA

View Full Version : Power Tower

Lord Afro
2007-12-31, 01:15 PM
You arrive at the tower. There is a huge line. At the end, a thick gray stone tower extends into the clouds. This is not going to be easy.
When the line is finally waited out, you arrive at a reception desk. After signing many waivers and forms about your death, you are paired up with a mottley crew of adventurers, brigands and cunning spellcasters. They seat you at a cracked old wooden table. Other groups are eating and laughing heartily. Some are silent. At some point, you will have to kill these other groups to win.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-31, 05:33 PM
Siviss

Sitting on the table itself, her feet resting on the bench, is a small kobold--obviously an arcanist; she fairly crackles with power despite her size. She's swathed in desert clothing, a round, silvery buckler on one arm; she has rich emerald scales, and beady black eyes gauge her new companions from over her narrow snout. There's something definitely uncommon about her, for a kobold: an aura of power, potence, presence;a faint thrumming in the air and the distant sound of beating wings--a hint of the terrible presence dragons possess.
"Sssso. You're the lot I'm stuck with. You'll have to do. I am Siviss, a sorceress to equal mighty dragons. Follow my lead and we'll make it through, instead of any of these ssssimpletons." A wave of a clawed hand indicates the other adventuring parties.

Tortoise262
2007-12-31, 05:48 PM
Duane Gregory

A brown-eyed muscle walks in and doesn't say anything. Apparently, the halfling on his back does most of his talking for him.

Zimmia
2007-12-31, 06:36 PM
Talia Mossman

From the shoulder of the large human, a halfling swings down and plops herself next to Ssviss "Wow," she says with a large smile, "That's good enough for me. I'm Talia, and this is Duane and we're going to be winning this thing with you. I just hope that there's going to be answers to secrets here - I've always loved the stuff that you guys do," she gushes happily, waving her arms in what she is sure are arcane gestures. "It's something I've always thought would be SO COOL to do, you know - to just make stuff happen because you want to. Duane here is more happy to smack people and stuff and he's really good at it but to me it seems kind of needlessly complicated, you know, 'cos if you can get around someone and hit 'em when they're not expecting it - well that seems a whole lot safer and stuffs to me. Where was I? Oh yes - Duane's an excellent fighter and tough and mean and stuff but he's not mean to me - in fact he's one of my best friends in the whole world - although now I'm sure I'm going to have another one in you Siviss, because you're just so cool and stuff. Where was I? Oh yes, me - if you need to get in someplace, or get out of someplace, well then I'm your gal! I can stop things from jumping out of walls too, because Duane here doesn't like it when he gets poked in the face and stuff like that. Do you mind if I ask you how hold you are, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone quite so ancient. Were you around when the gods created the world?"

Uthug
2007-12-31, 10:11 PM
Zach
After signing all those needless forms, a feathered humanoid with a scaly reptilian head flies into the room, landing beside Duane. "I am Zach, loyal servant of Bahamut, and I'm here to prove my abilities, and I don't plan on falling to a bunch of amateurs, there are still many duties I have to fulfill."

bchilders
2008-01-01, 05:02 PM
Turik walks up to Zach and pats him on the back, "I follow Kord and I too am here for a bit of competition. Looks like a mighty group to have on your side. Let everyone else tremble as we mow them down." This last bit Turik finishes with a loud booming laugh.

PocketRocket
2008-01-01, 05:56 PM
The group notices an eagle with green tipped feathers fly over to the table and land on the ground. Immediately the eagle changes into a wolf, also with green hair. Pirolestan has arrived but chooses to stay in this predator form for now.

#Raptor
2008-01-01, 07:51 PM
Korel Redstar

So far the heavily armored dwarf did not speak much - as he stares at the ground he silently mumbles into his beard "Oh Moradin... looks like this shall truly be the greatest test of my faith.".

Then he looks up, introducing himself.
"I am Korel of the Redstar clan." Having a hard time deciding wich one of his new companions is the least trustworthy, he turns to the green-haired wolf. "Since everyone else so far at least had the decency to introduce himself, perhaps you would like to let everyone else know who you are, too?"

Zimmia
2008-01-01, 08:12 PM
Talia Mossman

Clapping her hands together with glee, Talia stands up on the table so she can better face her new companions. "This is just SOO exciting," she gushes. "I know that with the group of us that we're just going to uncover all the secrets and get cool stuff and totally trash everyone else around here. I mean, just look at this group - how can we not succeed right? Although," she takes her excitement down just a notch and looks at each of the others, "I really think that you all could use a group laugh - I mean if we stay all dour and serious and stuff," her voice and expression change to a fairly hilarious immitation of Zach, "it's very possible that some of the best things in life can pass you by, you know what I mean. Here," she says focusing her attention on Korel and whipping a deck of playing cards out of a pocket in her cloak, "pick a card!"

Tortoise262
2008-01-01, 08:32 PM
TALIA! You really gotta stop eatin' the chalk from outta' my backpack!

#Raptor
2008-01-01, 08:48 PM
Korel Redstar

As long as the halfling wasn't talking to him, he eyeballed the shapeshifter - his mistrust was rather obvious.
Now that he was adressed by Talia he shifted his position slighly, standing straight up as if he could escape the uncomfortable situation by bending backwards.

With a gruff tone in his voice he answered: "Pick a card? What kind of trickery is this?!?" as he realized that his might have been at least a little bit rude, he reworded his question "I meant to say... what kind of game is that?" With a frown on his face he looks at the cards.

Zimmia
2008-01-01, 08:49 PM
Talia Mossman

Giggling slightly, Talia pockets the deck of cards and takes a couple of steps over to where Duane sits. "Now, now" she chides him gently, "We don't want all our friends to get the wrong idea, now do we? I certainly don't eat chalk," she announces happily as she tries to wipe at the backs and sides of his cloak. Giving up on the apparent lost cause, she brings the cards out again and walks back to Korel, paying no attention to his tone. "Why it's magic of course," she says with a smile, then looks momentarily sad. "Well, maybe not HER kind of magic," she nods to Siviss, "but it's the best I can do. It's just a little bit of fun ya'know," and holds the deck out to him once more.

#Raptor
2008-01-01, 09:08 PM
Korel Redstar

"Magic. Great. Oh well... lets just get over with this."
He grudigly reaches out to the deck, pulling one of the cards. Just holding the card in his hand without even bothering to look, he asks: "What now?"

((I'll use italic for toughts. If Talia will tell Korel to look at the card, he'll do that.))

Zimmia
2008-01-01, 09:10 PM
Talia Mossman

"Well you have to look at it, silly! Have a look and don't forget what it is, then put it back with the rest."

#Raptor
2008-01-01, 09:25 PM
Korel Redstar

He takes a short look at the card, mentally noting the flower he has seen on the card and puts it back to the other cards.
Without any comment or further question about the game he waits for the halflings to say something, absolutely assured that the halfling will surely continue blathering.

Zimmia
2008-01-01, 10:26 PM
Talia Mossman

"Akay," she burbles happily as she takes the card and then shuffles the deck. "It's all very exciting, these magic tricks. I've been trying to do them for a very long time now, and I think I've finally got the hang of it. I say the magic words: Awheema-Mangaranga-Boo... and then," She fishes into the deck and pulls out a card with a picture of a sheep on it. "Ta-daahh!! And here's your card!"

PocketRocket
2008-01-01, 11:39 PM
Letting out a soft, annoyed growl at Korel's request, Pirolestan begins to shift from his more comfortable wolf form, to his true form. Before the group stands a very average looking human with a very small frame. You notice, like all of his forms, he has dark green hair. "Yes well my name is Pirolestan. I am here because my god has sent me here. I am his warrior. I am not really accustomed to being around people, as I am a hermit by nature, so excuse me if I seem rude. It has been a long time since I've been out of my forests."

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-02, 03:41 AM
"I've over six hundred years, excitable one. Far less than the world's age, but I make do."

Siviss does not seem to mind the halfling's chattiness overmuch; the kobold lets the words run past her like a river, and focuses on sizing up her new 'comrades'.

"Zack... was it? What is it you do? Excuse me; I must prepare."

Keeping an ear out, Siviss launches into several spells; the spellcasters among her allies may be able to recognize them as Mage Armor, False Life, and Dragonskin.

(Using a Rod of Extend charge on the Dragonskin, red variety for fire resist. False Life HP: [roll0].)

bchilders
2008-01-02, 09:11 AM
Turik

Turik makes his way over to the shapeshifter and extends his hand, "Any man who can turn beast and back is allowed a little rudeness...as long as they are on my side of the fight. The names Turik"

PocketRocket
2008-01-02, 09:36 AM
"Yes, well I am on your side big guy. So, why are you here?" Pirolestan tries making small talk, but it is very visable that he is uncomfortable and nervous in his present state.

bchilders
2008-01-02, 10:37 AM
"Kord has blessed me with his strength and sent me out to test it. Are there any other forms you can shift through or are those two it?," Turik asks trying to move the conversation somewhere that this fellow adventurer might be more comfortable.

PocketRocket
2008-01-02, 11:31 AM
"Well Obad-Hai has blessed me with a few forms. It allows me to fight more efficiently in nature. You will see them a lot when we battle others, but here they are."

At this, Pirolestan first transforms into his wolf form and gives a little growl and nod of the head to make sure the half-orc is satisfied. He then tranforms straight into his eagle form, and does a quick flight overhead. After landing, Pirolestan begins to grow into a massive green haired bear. He stands upright and towers over the half orc. Pirolestan gives out a roar and then transforms back to human.

"That is what I can do for now, but i feel Obad-Hai's power running through me, and I believe I am about to be blessed with a new form rather quickly."

Lord Afro
2008-01-02, 10:03 PM
A fat waitress in peasant's clothing comes to the table holding a peice of paper. She asks "What can oi get yiou, foine adventurers?"

Tortoise262
2008-01-02, 11:55 PM
Duane, a man of few words, speaks in a monotone voice, "Rum."

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-03, 05:39 AM
Siviss indicates that she doesn't want anything with a brief shake of her head.

#Raptor
2008-01-03, 08:14 AM
Korel Redstar

He bends a little bit forward and looks at the card. "Thats..." then he stops for a moment. Not so fast now... If I tell the halfling thats the wrong card, she'll want to try it again... continuing to speak, he says "Thats, ehm, a nice game." more or less avoiding a lie.

As the waitress comes to the table he quickly responds. "Ale for me."

bchilders
2008-01-04, 11:05 PM
Turik also waves off the waitress, not that he doesn't enjoy a good drink but he wants to stay sharp for the test ahead.

Zimmia
2008-01-05, 12:34 AM
Talia

"Ohmygosh, you you mean it actually worked!! This is my lucky day! Every time I try and do this trick somehow it seems to come out wrong - although I suspect some people would just say it didn't match in order to make me 'wrong'. Just wait until I tell everyone it worked all this time afterall!" She moves closer to Korel almost as though to hug him but seems to think better of it. Instead she turns her attention to the waitress. "I'd like some wine, please and thank you."

PocketRocket
2008-01-05, 03:07 AM
Pirolestan turns towards the waitress and looks around nervously. "No. No thank you. I, ah, am fine." With this Pirolestan transforms back into a more comfortable form, his predator form.

Uthug
2008-01-05, 05:45 PM
"Its Zach." Muttering under his breath, Zach suddenly leaps up, spreading his wings wide and exhales a large cone of fire into the air above. "I guess it's obvious enough to you? By the way, you might like to be protected against my breath." His eyes suddenly flaring with power, Zach invokes Endure Elements on his party members, then breaths a cone of fire at his allies. Although its a daunting sight, they remain unharmed.

bchilders
2008-01-05, 05:51 PM
OOC to Uthug: Hate to burst your bubble but endure elements offers no protection against fire so as far as I read it you just scorched your whole adventuring group.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-05, 06:01 PM
(He's talking about the Endure Exposure DFA invocation, which grants both Endure Elements and immunity to the breath of the DFA who cast it on you.)

Uthug
2008-01-05, 09:45 PM
OOC: Ok, my bad, said the wrong thing.

bchilders
2008-01-06, 09:16 PM
OOC: Makes me feel better...and slightly less roasted

#Raptor
2008-01-07, 12:04 AM
Korel Redstar

"I'll be damned.. why must this happen to me?" While Korel would never exactly lie about such an small, unrelevant issue, he'd still prefer not to say outright that it didn't work, but now it seems that he has to confess... "Err, well actually.." he beginns to speak, just as Zach beginns breathing his fire all over the place. "WOAH! What in the seven hells was... oh." Reliefed that he won't have to put his beard out, he looks around to see if the waitress will return soon and bring him his ale.

Tortoise262
2008-01-07, 03:11 PM
Duane Gregory

While Duane remains unharmed by Zach's flames, the stool on which he sits burns to the ground, leaving his rump on the floor. Duane gets up, approaches Zach, and leans in toward his face. "Hey! WATCH IT, BUB!" Duane couldn't help but feel that his advance would've been more intimidating if he had not, after yelling, coughed due to the smoke emanating from Zach's nostrils.

bchilders
2008-01-07, 10:35 PM
Turik

Turik remains silent after the unscorching flame but looks harshly at Zach before rolling into another rumbling laugh at Duane's smoky threat.

PocketRocket
2008-01-08, 12:52 AM
At the site of the flame, Pirolestan shape shifts into his bear form and stands upright. He gives a loud pissed off roar towards Zach.

PocketRocket
2008-01-11, 12:30 AM
OOC: So are we playin?

#Raptor
2008-01-11, 07:51 AM
((OOC: Ayupp. I'm here.))

Zimmia
2008-01-11, 10:17 AM
((OOC: I'm good with that. Talia's so involved in her 'magic' working she didn't notice all the fire))

PocketRocket
2008-01-11, 12:18 PM
Pirolestan annoyed with all the sitting around, transforms to his wolf form and goes to wait for everyone else by the entrance to the tower.

Lord Afro
2008-01-11, 09:21 PM
A waitress comes to the table with a tired smile on her face and a wrinkled brow. She looks to be around 35+. "May I take your orders, adventurers?
OOC:
Sorry for taking so long, i just plain forgot. Plus, i have been pretty busy. Ah, well no excuse anyway. Now that your personalities are defined, order fast and we get to the action.

Zimmia
2008-01-11, 09:38 PM
Talia

Too excited by her magic trick working to pay attention to the waitress, Talia bounds back over to Duane to tell him all about it.

OOC
Didn't we do this once already?

Tortoise262
2008-01-11, 11:41 PM
No-no-no! We ordered drinks! Haven't you ever gone out to eat before? How do they do it in Boston?

bchilders
2008-01-12, 01:17 AM
Turik will again wave off the service and move to where the wolf sits. He'll take out his greatsword and began polishing it, content to sit in quiet contemplating the trial ahead.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-12, 05:11 AM
Siviss likewise doesn't order, eager to get on with it.

Tortoise262
2008-01-12, 01:14 PM
Duane Gregory

Lost in a daydream about his love, Duane has no hunger.

Uthug
2008-01-13, 05:45 AM
Zach likewise waves off the waitress "No thanks, I'm good."

#Raptor
2008-01-13, 07:15 AM
Korel Redstar

He answers the waitress with a short "Nah, just waiting for my ale.", ready to get this behind him.

Lord Afro
2008-01-19, 10:38 PM
((OOC: You did this? Woops. maybe i was posting a little late at night.))
After you finish eating you are ushered along with the rest of the grungy adventurers into the second processing room. The lady at the gate informs you that you will be released at different intervals in order to stop everyone killing eachother from the start. You are let into the next room in 2 hours.
There is a huge pit in the middle of this room. Chains and ropes hang down in the middle...

Zimmia
2008-01-20, 12:31 AM
Talia

"Well it's about time. Let's get cracking," Talia says happily as she takes a good look around the room.

spot check for anything interesting: [roll0]
Listen check for the same: [roll1]
Search for traps [roll2]

Tortoise262
2008-01-20, 01:21 AM
Duane Gregory

"Hmm..."
Duane, wanting to test the depth of the hole, contemplates whether to throw down a piece of chalk, or his companion, Talia.

#Raptor
2008-01-20, 07:03 AM
Korel Redstar

"Hmpf. So there we go." he mutters, then he walks over to the hole to take a look into it.

OOC: Got 90 ft. Darkvision. What can I see in the hole?
[roll0]

bchilders
2008-01-20, 12:35 PM
Turik moves in with the rest of the group but lets them do all of the searching. Instead he gets his sword at ready and says a quick prayer to Kord for strength anticipating the worst.

PocketRocket
2008-01-20, 12:57 PM
Pirolestan morphs into his aerial form and flies down into the hole to see what is down there.

AC 30 in Aerial form
Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-21, 12:03 AM
Siviss

"All right, who can climb down under their own power, and who needs a Fly spell?"

Siviss casts one on herself, rising up to hover in the air.

Tortoise262
2008-01-21, 12:18 AM
Duane Gregory

"I can climb"

bchilders
2008-01-26, 05:34 PM
"With this armor on I'm not much of a climber, so I could use a little help," Turik says not ashamed to accept a little help.

Uthug
2008-01-27, 08:11 AM
"Thanks but I don't need help." Saying this, Zach flies over the pit, covering it with fire. OOC: Everyone has endure exposure on them so they don't take damage.