PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft help!

Tyger
2007-12-31, 02:27 PM
If you like undead, this is a great module. Long frigging one, but great nonetheless.

We just finished it, and are in the process of counting our shiny ill-gotten gains, but one thing is missing, and I am hoping that someone else who has finished it knows the answer!

Where is Strahd's spell book??? He's a wizard, hundreds of years old. He's got to have one, but no where in the book can I find it! Any help is appreciated.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-31, 02:34 PM
Where is Strahd's spell book??? He's a wizard, hundreds of years old. He's got to have one, but no where in the book can I find it! Any help is appreciated.

Uh.. If you played through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft as it should be played, then no one in your party is alive or sane. If anything else happens, then you are doing something wrong. :smalltongue:

Tyger
2007-12-31, 02:38 PM
Uh.. If you played through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft as it should be played, then no one in your party is alive or sane. If anything else happens, then you are doing something wrong. :smalltongue:

Thanks for the advice. :)

Yeah, it was murderously bloody hard. We had two deaths, two near misses, and an almost TPK once.

RTGoodman
2007-12-31, 02:52 PM
I haven't played through EtCR, but are you sure he's a Wizard? I thought he was a Sorcerer, which would explain the lack of a spellbook.

Tyger
2007-12-31, 02:55 PM
I haven't played through EtCR, but are you sure he's a Wizard? I thought he was a Sorcerer, which would explain the lack of a spellbook.

He is a wizard, and starting from the front, I managed to locate the spells in his book, but it never does say where the books would be. So if anyone knows, please shout out.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-31, 03:48 PM
He is a wizard, and starting from the front, I managed to locate the spells in his book, but it never does say where the books would be. So if anyone knows, please shout out.

In all seriousness, there isn't one.

You aren't supposed to be able to raid Strahd's castle after winning. Your entire party should be dead except for the new Domain Lord(whoever killed Strahd).

The New Bruceski
2007-12-31, 05:53 PM
In all seriousness, there isn't one.

You aren't supposed to be able to raid Strahd's castle after winning. Your entire party should be dead except for the new Domain Lord(whoever killed Strahd).

In EtCR it isn't a domain yet. There is no Ravenloft (the demiplane), just Barovia, a small region hidden in the mountains whose only contact with civilization tends to be bands of gypsies.

I would assume the library would be the place to search, though depending on how things were approached, if Strahd had prep time while he considered you a threat, they would likely be moved. It's the same as how Ilyana's actions and how Strahd goes after her aren't detailed beyond the basics; it depends on his personality and what the players do.

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 05:56 PM

If you are referring to the remake, then it isn't that hard, but my villians tend to read the evil overlord list so...
from,
EE
Edit- He isn't talking about Ravenloft the Champaign setting, he means Raven loft the single adventure

Dragunov
2007-12-31, 08:04 PM
Mayhaps it combusted into non-existant cheese when your DM realized you had just killed the lord of Ravenloft?

Sounds like someone got naughty and hopped the dark, gritty railroad rails :smallcool:

Tyger
2007-12-31, 11:18 PM
Folks, those of you talking about how its impossible... there are two versions, including the new one, redone for v. 3.5. That's the one that we're discussing here.

In the new one, you are indeed expected to take out Strahd. The campaign is designed around you doing so. Yes, I am familiar with the original, but that is not the one we're talking about.

I guess I should have been clear.

So... if anyone has spotted his spellbook in the new version, please post it! Or send me a PM if you don't want to spoil other's fun. :smallsmile: