PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur-folk Race?

RTGoodman
2007-12-31, 04:19 PM
A while ago I remember seeing on the Wizards website one of those "elite opponents" articles (or something like that) that featured basically an anthropomorphic triceratops race. I can't find that article, and I'd like to use these things for part of a possible campaign setting (or at least adventure) I'm writing.

I've searched around online and can't seem to figure out what these things are. As far as I can remember, the race is called "Saurans" or "Saurids" or something like that, and there are various subraces that have features of different dinosaurs. (Not 100% sure about that, but it sounds right.) The only things I can find via Google are some homebrew things and some non-D&D related stuff.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I going mad? I have a sneaking suspicion that they might be from Savage Species, but no one I know has that book, no bookstores around here have a copy, and the nearest real gaming store that I know of is like an hour away.

Newtkeeper
2007-12-31, 04:23 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20030528a

I don't think that's what you are looking for, but it might suffice. They seem to be called Saurials, and look vaguely dino-ish.

RTGoodman
2007-12-31, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what I was looking for, but I think maybe the one I saw was in a different article. This seems to be the actual race write-up.

Of course, now that I see them, the racial HD and LA (all for a low CR) kind of turn me off, but I may still use them.

Thanks!

Kellus
2007-12-31, 05:09 PM
How have I never seen this?!

AWESOME!

Greenfaun
2007-12-31, 05:10 PM
The web-enhancement for Serpent Kingdoms also has them, here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a

I'm not sure if that's different or not.

Ralfarius
2007-12-31, 05:43 PM
:smalleek: Triceratons!

CATCH THAT FUGITOID!

Patashu
2007-12-31, 09:51 PM
Anthro dinosaurs, **** yeah

Now make them Warforged too. ;)

Idea Man
2008-01-01, 01:22 PM
Saurials were introduced in the Forgotten Realms. I can't remember for the life of me where I've seen the stats for them, though. Sorry.

Biggest problem with playing one is that they're naturally mute (to normal hearing). That communicate in chirps, clicks, skeaks, and most importantly, scents. I made a list once from stuff I got out of the novels I read as to what each smell equated to. Boy, that was a pain. :smalltongue:

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-01, 01:24 PM
I have some 2nd-ed spaltbook with all the Saurials in them, but I don't think that'll help. I think the Serpent Kingdoms and the website are pretty much your options here without resorting to 3rd-party or savage species.

Complete Humanoids, that was it. Also had one of my favorite races of all time... mongrelmen.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-01, 01:30 PM
I wonder, why is it that we're so obsessed with dinosaurs as a culture? I admit, I am guilty of said obsession, too, but still I wonder. What is it about dinosaurs that makes us squeal with glee on sight, like preteen fangirls spotting their favorite band, despite our age and supposed maturity? It seems rather silly once you think about it.

Newtkeeper
2008-01-01, 01:35 PM
I wonder, why is it that we're so obsessed with dinosaurs as a culture? I admit, I am guilty of said obsession, too, but still I wonder. What is it about dinosaurs that makes us squeal with glee on sight, like preteen fangirls spotting their favorite band, despite our age and supposed maturity? It seems rather silly once you think about it.

Big, fierce, extinct.

To be more clear, they are as close as reality got to 'monsters', but are safe, since they are all dead.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-01, 01:36 PM

Because, fellow dino-avatar-man, dinosaurs are AWESOME.

Ralfarius
2008-01-01, 01:49 PM
Because they ruled, baby.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-01-01, 01:52 PM
You can also make anthropomorphic dinosaurs with a Savage Species template. Deinonychus are terribly, terribly broken, though, if you aren't going caster. The HP is loses are made up for by its +8 to CON by the time it hits twenty, and it's BAB being two lower than a fighter's is made up for by the +8 to strength. Then, to finish things off, it's got natural armour, secondary natural attacks that it can add even after attacks with a weapon, a base land speed of 60 feet.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-01, 01:55 PM
You can also make anthropomorphic dinosaurs with a Savage Species template. Deinonychus are terribly, terribly broken, though, if you aren't going caster. The HP is loses are made up for by its +8 to CON by the time it hits twenty, and it's BAB being two lower than a fighter's is made up for by the +8 to strength. Then, to finish things off, it's got natural armour, secondary natural attacks that it can add even after attacks with a weapon, a base land speed of 60 feet.

Hello my next character. Anthropomorphic Deinonychus Paladin with the Smiting Charge alternate class feature.

RTGoodman
2008-01-01, 02:28 PM
I wonder, why is it that we're so obsessed with dinosaurs as a culture?

I have no idea, but I was thinking of that not too long ago. I can't speak for the females out there (having never been one myself :smallbiggrin: ), but it seems to me that at some point in his pre-teen life, every boy goes through a stage where dinosaurs are the coolest things EVER. Basically every guy I know did, at least.

Anyway, I was thinking of using these guys for the Isle Contest over in the Homebrew section, but I'm not sure if I can now. The rules say to try to stick with Core/OGL stuff (as far as I remember), but these seem to be both non-OGL (though they are available online, apparently) and non-Core, since they're from FR. May still try it, but I'm not sure.

EvilJames
2008-01-02, 04:52 AM
don't know about D20 versions but the 2nd ed versions were in the Book of Humanoids you could probably translate from there.