PDA

View Full Version : Build Help for Spiked Gauntlet Warrior

Sonofaspectre
2007-12-31, 09:53 PM
All right. Soon I will be playing in a game run by one of my normal players in the world we all created. I have yet to play the bash in the door style character, always favoring a little more ... options, I guess. But I made this build, and wanted to see what you folks on the boards here thought.

The level is 6, just about to go into the Fist of Hextor from Sword and Fist (though in our world it is the Fist of the Blood God, but same diff.)

He is a Qrill, check out the link at the bottom of the post for the breakdown of that particular race. Stats were randomly rolled.

Quintin Omega
Qrill, Sohei (oriental adventures) 3/Fighter 3
STR 18
DEX 10 (12 rolled)
CON 15
INT 11
WIS 16 (14 rolled)
CHAR 17

Feats
EDIT - Multiclassing be damned
Lvl 1 - Sohei 1:Weapon Focus (spiked Gauntlet)
- Character feat:Power Attack
Lvl 2 - Sohei 2: nothing
Lvl 3 - Sohei 3: Deflect Arrows
- Character feat: Cleave
Lvl 4 - Fighter 1: Improved Sunder
Lvl 5 - Fighter 2: Great Cleave
Lvl 6 - Fighter 3: nothing
- Character feat: Brutal Strike

Fort +8
Reflex +2
Will +7

Skills:
Diplomacy 5 (+8)
Knowledge (religion) 4 (+7)
Spot 4 (+7)
Intimidate 5 (+8)

Weapons:
Spiked Gauntlet +10
– Ki Frenzied +9/+9
Bolas +5
Spiked Bolas +5

Class abilities:
Ki Frenzy 2/Day (5 rounds)

Next level would be Fist of Hextor 1

I am looking for a Lawful Neutral brawler who knows the law and understands morality, but chooses to ignore is personal moral compass to continue the law. Think Grishom from CSI, except with Spiked Gauntlets and he really likes to break things with his fists.

Cuddly
2007-12-31, 11:12 PM
Why such high charisma? I'd put that 17 in con, move the 15 to dex, and put the 12 in cha.

Sonofaspectre
2007-12-31, 11:24 PM
1) Just a personal preference, plus I figured I could use him to do some Diplomacy things.
2) What good does Dex do him? He'll be wearing full-plate or close, and isn't using Combat Reflexes ... Unless you think that would work?

Real reason is I like higher charisma characters :elan:, but all ideas are good ideas at this stage. Thanks for your imput. :smallbiggrin:

Anyone else?

Cuddly
2007-12-31, 11:38 PM
Full plate allows 1 dex mod worth of AC, which means you'll be hit by slightly fewer traps/fireballs/sharp things, as well as go first. Mithral full plate + 16 dex + party cleric = cheapest, highest AC possible.

Personally, I like the 1-3 extra points of touch AC/reflex saves, since many of the spells that wizards have are either blasty (if your DM uses blaster wizards), or touch attacks.

[edit]
I'm trying to figure out where the damage is coming from. Why weapon focus, and no TWF? If you're going to be punching stuff, you may as well be punching stuff without taking enormous penalties.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-01, 02:22 AM
Weapon Focus comes from level 1 of the Sohei class, and is a prerequisite for the prestige class, as well as the Intimidate skills.

You make a good point on the Touch AC. I don't know how likely I will be to be getting Mithral, but I can ask my DM, and I have no clue about blasty-ness of wizards he may or may not use.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-01, 02:34 AM
I hate to ask...but are you counting a free feat from 3rd level fighter in there? Cause fighters get free feats at 1,2,4,6 and every even after that...if you play straight fighter you get feats at 1,1,2,3,4,6,6 if you count the feats you get from leveling...the way you have it written though, there seems to be an extra feat unaccounted for.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-01, 02:51 AM
I shouldn't be. Lemme double check, this time, Multiclassing be damned.

Lvl 1 - Sohei 1:Weapon Focus (spiked Gauntlet)
- Character feat:Power Attack
Lvl 2 - Sohei 2: nothing
Lvl 3 - Sohei 3: Deflect Arrows
- Character feat: Cleave
Lvl 4 - Fighter 1: Improved Sunder
Lvl 5 - Fighter 2: Great Cleave
Lvl 6 - Fighter 3: nothing
- Character feat: Brutal Strike

I got it all written down correctly, just was worrying with multiclassing, unless you guys spot something else. I'll edit this now.

Lemur
2008-01-01, 03:06 AM
At level 6, you have the class listed as fighter 3, and you list Brutal Strike as a feat. Brutal Strike is a class ability from Fist of Hextor, not a feat, so you should have a feat available at level 6. Also, I'm pretty sure you mean Fist of Hextor 1 instead of Fighter 3 at character level 6.

Also, it would be useful to note what books you're using, and probably to clarify if you're working under 3.0 or 3.5 rules, since you seem to be using 3.0 supplements

As far as the build goes, I'd question the usefulness of Great Cleave. It's highly situational, and there are better feats available.

Cuddly
2008-01-01, 04:30 PM
As far as the build goes, I'd question the usefulness of Great Cleave. It's highly situational, and there are better feats available.

Especially since the build, as far as I can tell, is going to be doing very little damage. It's extremely unlikely, past level 2, that you're going to drop anything with a single blow.

Solo
2008-01-01, 04:34 PM
On the plus side, you have the massive fluff bonus of being able to b*tch-slap your enemies.

lord_khaine
2008-01-01, 04:50 PM
you could increase your unarmed damage by using the feat superior unarmed strike from ToB, though it will cost you 2 feats and only give a slight increase in base damage.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-01, 08:08 PM
My DM approved both Oriental Adventures and Sword and Fist for 3.5 with no rules changes, as for books.

Ok, Great Cleave out, I'm cool with that.

The idea is to be a Spiked Gauntlet wielder, so Superior Unarmed Strike will not do me any good, unless that works with Spiked Gauntlets as well.

And the Brutal Strike feat I put down is from PHBII, allowing me to daze opponents with my blows.

Any idea on what to take instead of Great Cleave, maybe to help with some damage upping?

Cuddly
2008-01-01, 08:17 PM
Maybe TWF? Would multiple hits mean multiple dazes? I don't have PHBII, so I'm not sure if it'll work or not.

Are power attack and cleave feat requirements? If they're not, they won't help much, as the real damage from power attack is in using a two handed weapon (and leap attack, shock trooper, headless charge, blah blah blah).

TWF will also increase your versatility. Against low AC opponents, you can go with multiple attacks, which, for -2 to hit, should pay off more than the +2 you'd get if you were power attacking. Of course, supposedly getting to make full attacks in D&D is rare, so some would debate this. I, on the other hand, find most battles to involve two opponents trading blows until one falls down.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-01, 08:43 PM
Sohei has a class ability that is a mix of rage and Flurry. It lets me raise Dex and Str by 2, rapid shot with my fists, and get an extra 10' of movement speed. I was thinking about taking Barbarian as a dip level to get Pounce, but the problem with that is multiclassing penalities. And yes, Power Attack and Cleave are necessary for PrC pre-reqs.

Ki Frenzy: Starting at 1st level, a sohei gains the ability to
focus her ki power into a frenzy of berserk energy. In this
frenzied state, she temporarily gains +2 to strength and +2 to
Dexterity. Her speed increases by 10 feet, and she can choose
to make a flurry of blows with a full attack action in melee,
making one extra attack per round while suffering a -2
penalty on every attack.

So I didn't see TWF as necessary.

Lemur
2008-01-01, 09:01 PM
Ah, sorry about that. I haven't taken the time to become that familiar with the PHBII, so I didn't realize there's a feat with that name. I also forgot that Sohei isn't a full BAB class, so you couldn't have qualified for the prc by level 6 anyway.

Of course, on that note, you also need a BAB of +6 to take the Brutal Strike feat, so you're not eligible for that at level 6 either. Also, the feat doesn't work with Spiked Gauntlets, because the weapons are piercing only, and the Brutal Strike feat requires bludgeoning weapons. Also, you have to be using power attack, and you can't use power attack with light weapons in 3.5 (and spiked gauntlets are light weapons, although it's rather silly that you can't PA with them, especially considering you can with a normal unarmed strike).

Sorry if it seems like I'm throwing the RAW at you. I know that some groups and DMs don't follow it quite so specifically, so if your DM is rules loose, or uses a significant admixture of houserules, than my comments may be irrelevant.

As for TWF, you can only Brutal Strike once per round (if you can Brutal Strike at all, which by RAW you can't with your weapon of choice) so it doesn't benefit from extra attacks. However, your damage will benefit from extra attacks, and you can get extra attacks from both frenzy and TWF at the same time, so going for two weapon fighting isn't necessarily a bad choice. The tricky part is getting extra damage added to your attacks to make them worthwhile (unless of course your DM allows you to power attack with light weapons, which isn't unreasonable)

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-01, 09:07 PM
Cool, cool, Brutal Strike the feat is out.

And we ruled that spiked gauntlet was power attackable, as it only makes sense.

So now, I'm looking for two new feats, to replace Great Cleave and Brutal Strike.

Maybe two levels of Barbarian? Take pounce at first level? Do I need Fighter anymore? Three levels of Barbarian? Three levels of Hexblade for stacking Ki Frenzies and Hexes?