PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick: July II

Pages : [1] 2

Lilly
2005-07-15, 01:30 AM
Part 2 of the monthly comic thread! Have fun with #203.

And before y'all start with the posting and such-
From the FAQ:
Q: Wouldn’t it be cool if X, Y, and Z happened? You should totally do that.

A: Thanks, but I prefer to create my own plots. In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong. Petty? Probably.

Q: Hey, you used my idea I posted! Cool!

A: No, I didn’t. Even if your idea that you posted completely matches what eventually happened, you can be sure I was not inspired by your post. Largely because I probably didn’t read it (see above question). Top

Now Rich has said that he creates his own plots, and a literal reading of the FAQ could intreperet as "If you are not suggesting the idea for use in the strip, he will not specifically change the stip because you were intelligent enough to see ahead in the plot."

So what I'm trying to say is: if people post predictions, I don't want to see any posts saying that "Now you've done it, that won't happen"

And even though it has not changed in the FAQ, Rich has said that the comic is not late until 12:00am EST (wich is what standard boards time is, check in the profile link at the top of the page) on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

IonizedChicken
2005-07-15, 01:36 AM
OK, that was seriously funny...
I always thought Belkar more like Chaotic Neutral...

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-15, 01:37 AM
I'd just like to add my thoughts, which just missed going into the last thread, of great approval for the idea of an auto-update script. I don't personally mind waiting an extra 12-23 hours for an individual strip, but I think it would just be more convenient for everyone involved, particularly The Giant and his staff.

In other words: good idea, guys.

Oh, and I see we've now only got two OotSers without some sort of romantic interest...and personally, I don't want to know about Belkar and especially Vaarsuvius.

ShadowDragon8685
2005-07-15, 02:13 AM
Belkar and BG, sittin' in a tree, fighting like be-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-es...

:)

Corsair
2005-07-15, 02:17 AM
At one point in time, I would've wondered about two things. One, what would the offspring of a halfling and a human be? At another point, I would've gouged my own eyes out just for thinking about that.

Paragon_Kobold
2005-07-15, 03:35 AM
At one point in time, I would've wondered about two things. One, what would the offspring of a halfling and a human be?

A halhalfling?

Corsair
2005-07-15, 03:40 AM
Actually, it would probably either be pronounced Humaling or Halfliuman.

Kulatu
2005-07-15, 04:36 AM
Half-Hobbit! Oh wait, that'd be a copyright violation I bet...

Semi-Halfling!

changeling
2005-07-15, 04:55 AM
Some time ago I read about a combination of elves and halflings called "elflings".

I don't remember in which book this was.

Now I continue cursing my 6 hour time difference to the oots local time. ;P

ilikebasketball
2005-07-15, 04:55 AM
Is it possible to have either an RSS feed, or some other warning mechanism the comic's been updated?

Maybe a simple thread over here which we can all add to our mail notifications and which only mods can update?

Kulatu
2005-07-15, 05:04 AM
What, you don't like refreshing the comics page every few minutes come friday?

Paragon_Kobold
2005-07-15, 08:27 AM
Some time ago I read about a combination of elves and halflings called "elflings".

Midnight perhaps?

Nighthawk4
2005-07-15, 08:47 AM
Three-Quarterlings? :D

I am very keen to see how Belkar is going to get out of this - threatening to harvest his team-mates for the XP seems pretty Evil to me ;)

Valorath
2005-07-15, 09:05 AM
So what is the encumbrance of a halfling-sized lead plate when carried by a halfling?

boro
2005-07-15, 09:18 AM
Three-Quarterlings? :D

Shouldnt that be (one) Quarterlings? :D

Colt
2005-07-15, 09:44 AM
i don't know, about detect evil, but i think that the lead shet is just an x-ray joke. oh, und changeling, sprechen sie Deutsch?

Neverending_Gnome
2005-07-15, 09:56 AM
No, most of the detect type divination spells have the caveat that they are stopped by so many feet of stone, dirt, or whatever, or by a thin sheet of lead. It never crossed my mind to see a character carrying one around though.

changeling
2005-07-15, 10:02 AM
Midnight perhaps?

I know Midnight only a little bit. Had a quick look into the book long ago.

I think it was some kind of races sourcebook about halfbreeds where I saw this "elflings"

@colt45: Ja! Du statt Sie reicht allerdings vollkommen. ;)

concerning the sheet of lead:
I really like the way Rich makes jokes on the little details in D&D rules.

Grey Watcher
2005-07-15, 10:31 AM
No, most of the detect type divination spells have the caveat that they are stopped by so many feet of stone, dirt, or whatever, or by a thin sheet of lead. It never crossed my mind to see a character carrying one around though.

Well, I have a feeling that they originally coined that rule with the idea of using lead-lined chambers and things to stop divination, but a character carrying around a sheet of lead to block divination is hilarious. :-)

GypsyThorn
2005-07-15, 10:48 AM
I agree that Belkar needn't have have to carry a lead plate to hide his alignment. Just a thin sheet would have done it.

But what would the thin sheet have to cover?

If alignment is what's in someone's heart, then a breastplate would do nicely.

If alignment is what a person intends when they do something, then a helm would be needed.

If alignment is the direction in which a character is heading, then lead insoles might be needed.

Or, if it's true that you are what you eat, then you would need a lead-lined stomach.
[/list]

yrro
2005-07-15, 11:12 AM
I forget what the link is, but someone made detailed rules for procreation among the different races. They had rules for sexual performance, magical venereal diseases, pregnancy, and a lot of other things of that nature.

I think that they decided that a human-halfling bond just resorted in all of one or all of the other (who just happened to be a little shorter/taller than average), and that pairing between the other races and halflings resulted in the normal half-breed. The reason for the Human/halfling pairing being so compatible was the idea that humans and halflings were somehow more closely related genetically than the other races.

The guide's an interesting read, although it's definitely not work safe and makes you feel like the biggest dork ever. Someone put a lot of thought into it (although I wonder at times how much experience any of them actually had with the matter ;-)). I'd definitely link it if I could remember where it was or what it was called.

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-07-15, 11:15 AM
I was just wondering where he pulled that thing from...

I'm also wondering how long this will keep up, will BG continue to ty and read him or just let it drop?

Did anyone else guess Paladin for BG, was there any indication that her horse was something special before it stood on Belkar?

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

DDogwood
2005-07-15, 11:23 AM
I'm also wondering how long this will keep up, will BG continue to ty and read him or just let it drop?

Did anyone else guess Paladin for BG, was there any indication that her horse was something special before it stood on Belkar?

BG doesn't seem like the kind of Paladin who is OK with fine distinctions... didn't she chop the Bandit King and his daughter into little bits a couple of weeks ago?

Simonious
2005-07-15, 11:31 AM

1 + 1/2 = 3/2

3/2 / 2 = 3/4

So it would be one three-quarterling. Though I've always thought that the reason one never saw half-halflings or half-dwarves etc in D&D was that only humans, elves and orcs were 'compatible'. But I'm old school and in any case, I don't think that anyone in OOtS would think of Belkar in any kind of romantic way. He's just one sick evil halfling.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-07-15, 11:50 AM
I doubt blue cloak is a pervy hobbit fancier.

Nighthawk4
2005-07-15, 12:00 PM

Nope - half of a Human plus half of a Halfling = a half plus a quarter = three-quarters ;)

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-15, 12:04 PM
I was just wondering where he pulled that thing from...
As Haley reminds us, you can never have too much extradimensional storage space.

erisian
2005-07-15, 12:14 PM
Hooray for Rich's bag of hilarity! I am thrilled with how well he keeps me entertained! Hooray!

KreenWarrior
2005-07-15, 12:17 PM
I remember the Tribe of One Dark Sun book series had an elfling main character. But Athasian elves and halflings are a bit different than normal.

Eriol
2005-07-15, 12:18 PM
As Haley reminds us, you can never have too much extradimensional storage space.
Good explanation!

shaking from anticipation of comic...

(OT: and shaking more from anticipation of HP tonight...)

Greebo
2005-07-15, 12:32 PM
By the way, did I forget to mention that when I read the Lead-sheet test of manliness strip, that I was literally LOLing! My wife was looking at me like, 'What??'.

GREAT strip!!! Especially the "Stop repressing my culture" line! :)

Now...

*click* - refresh - "damn" - *click* - refresh - "damn" (Yep, its Friday!) :)

SpitwolF
2005-07-15, 12:40 PM
lol I bet he makes us wait just so we sweat for a few more hours ::).

I love this comic! Come see it every day it releases. It's a shame i don't understand what half of you guys are on about though :(

Used to play Neverwinter Nights, but spose its quite different.

*Twiddles thumbs* ;D

The Giant
2005-07-15, 12:46 PM
Comic is up.

Wukei
2005-07-15, 12:48 PM
Yay! I think I'm more excited to see you on the boards than the comic. ^.~

The Demented One
2005-07-15, 12:49 PM
"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Roy being really pissed at me..."

I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time.

Jibar
2005-07-15, 12:51 PM
Another piece of genius Ginat *hugs Giant*

Darkspear
2005-07-15, 12:52 PM
Hurray! The Return of the Great God Banjo!

And now we know what will happen when all the gates are destroyed.

kriklaf
2005-07-15, 12:58 PM
...poor Roy. Clearly that fighter school he attended didn't teach him the finer points of hitting on women. I'm going to enjoy watching this play out! And "The Lord Banjo's Prayer"--priceless!

Lilly
2005-07-15, 01:02 PM
*snick* Well that was funny, *snicker* It was very nice to see mention of the Linear Guild again, HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH *falls over on the floor holding her side from laughing so hard*

This is definatley a good one. Very, very funny.

King_Troll
2005-07-15, 01:04 PM
Wait - you are serious? That is your explanation? "My evil twin did it?"

At least they didn't have to say that their dog ate their homework!

...And Roy has moved beyond just flirting..., doesn't seem to be making any progress though...

Cradok
2005-07-15, 01:08 PM
...poor Roy. Clearly that fighter school he attended didn't teach him the finer points of hitting on women.

I dunno, direct can be good, especially on someone who is fairly direct herself.

Why is he yelling 'ELAN!', though;? Maybe my memory is on the blink, but I seem to remember it was Roy what did the damage...

kriklaf
2005-07-15, 01:12 PM
Oh man--I read the strip too quickly the first time! The funniest part of the whole thing is the fact that both Haley and V start panicking over their past exploits--"Yes. None of us have ever tampered with the fundamental order of nature when bored. That would be wrong" Hee! Rich, you're a genius!

Lilly
2005-07-15, 01:12 PM
I dunno, direct can be good, especially on someone who is fairly direct herself.

Why is he yelling 'ELAN!', though;? Maybe my memory is on the blink, but I seem to remember it was Roy what did the damage...

Elan was the one who activated the self destruct rune, and actually destroyed the gate. All Roy did was thow Xykon at it and destroy Xykon in the process.

Link for reference (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=118)

Greebo
2005-07-15, 01:23 PM
Elan was the one who activated the self destruct rune, and actually destroyed the gate. All Roy did was thow Xykon at it and destroy Xykon in the process.

Yeah that had me confused too, until I went back and looked it up.

Elan hitting the self-destruct wasn't nearly as memorable as Roy throwing skull boy. :)

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-15, 01:29 PM
Too bad for Elan Banjo still has only one worshipper(in the world of OotS at least.)

Fireballed_Mage
2005-07-15, 01:30 PM
I'm not really up on my Lord's Prayer...

(Since I usually follow the line "and lead me not into tempation," with, "I can find it easily enough myself, thank you very much.")

But shouldn't the Banjo Prayer be:

"For thy lute and thy banjo, they comfort me."?

Greebo
2005-07-15, 01:34 PM

Dialect nuances vary from denomination to denomination and even within each.

Wanderer
2005-07-15, 01:40 PM
I'm not really up on my Lord's Prayer...

(Since I usually follow the line "and lead me not into tempation," with, "I can find it easily enough myself, thank you very much.")

Actually, that particular line that he's paraphrasing isn't from the prayer, but rather one of the Psalms. Anyway, normally, yes, it would be "thy" but since both the things he's speaking of belong to himself, it's "my."

I knew this moment was coming. The bard's stupidity destroys the universe... again.

Cradok
2005-07-15, 01:40 PM

Ah, hah! Totally forgotten about that. Thanks!

Winged One
2005-07-15, 01:44 PM
He he. "I shall fear no thwacking" ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 01:51 PM
That was one of the best Giant. :D Thumbs way up :D

Eriol
2005-07-15, 02:16 PM
Awesome one. I, like many others here, really liked how nervous V looked when asked about tampering with the fabric of the universe, especially when V was BRAGGING about being able to do that back in #10 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=10).

Still, I wonder if next it's going to be another "Summon Plot Exposition" that will save Elan from summary judgement. Wouldn't explaining what happened work? Or at least hold off judgement until they get to Shojo.

And one last thing: I'm betting Soon (from Dorukan's group) is Lord Shojo. After all, we didn't see their LAST names, and since all the humans in OOTS has a last name (except Elan, though my money is solidly on Tyrinar being his (and Nale's) last name), there's no real reason everybody (or at least most) in that other group didn't have a last name too. Shojo could easily be his, and since you usually would say "Lord Greenhilt" instead of "Lord Roy", Shojo is the guy's last name. I'm betting on Soon.

bedbugsareyummy
2005-07-15, 02:19 PM
I doubt blue cloak is a pervy hobbit fancier.

Shades of the VSDs,anyone? ;D

Man,this latest comic had me laughing like mad.I especially liked Elan's little prayer at the end....

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 02:22 PM
Awesome one. I, like many others here, really liked how nervous V looked when asked about tampering with the fabric of the universe, especially when V was BRAGGING about being able to do that back in #10 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=10).

Still, I wonder if next it's going to be another "Summon Plot Exposition" that will save Elan from summary judgement. Wouldn't explaining what happened work? Or at least hold off judgement until they get to Shojo.

And one last thing: I'm betting Soon (from Dorukan's group) is Lord Shojo. After all, we didn't see their LAST names, and since all the humans in OOTS has a last name (except Elan, though my money is solidly on Tyrinar being his (and Nale's) last name), there's no real reason everybody (or at least most) in that other group didn't have a last name too. Shojo could easily be his, and since you usually would say "Lord Greenhilt" instead of "Lord Roy", Shojo is the guy's last name. I'm betting on Soon.
I think that Shojo is to shrew with are head and it will turn out that its her God and Soon is her Lord.

Kish
2005-07-15, 02:29 PM
...what?

Greebo
2005-07-15, 02:33 PM
I think that Shojo is to shrew with are head and it will turn out that its her God and Soon is her Lord.
After much study, I believe I have managed to translate this to English:

"I think that Shojo is to screw with our heads, and it will turn out that Shojo is her god, and Soon is her Lord."

Did I translate it properly?

sniffles
2005-07-15, 02:45 PM
Okay, I thought #202 had the most funny last frame, but it's now been beaten out by the last frame of #203 and Elan's prayer.

:D :D :D

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 02:45 PM
Yeah, sorry. Sometimes I type to fast. :-[

Midnight Son
2005-07-15, 03:04 PM
And then click post without proofreeding?

One question. Why can't Elan's sprain be healed. Is it a supernatural sprain with resistance to cure light wounds?

Greebo
2005-07-15, 03:10 PM

One question. Why can't Elan's sprain be healed. Is it a supernatural sprain with resistance to cure light wounds?
Wild speculation, but perhaps it is the "In Stick" reflection of the sprain of the creator.

I mean - not to suggest that the Giant sees himself as Elan (cause the Giant is much smarter, by far), but the Giant *IS* the creative talent behind the strip and Elan is the creative on of the party.

Or, perhaps the dwarf simply refuses to heal Elan cause he was stupid in how he sprained it. :)

Lilly
2005-07-15, 03:10 PM

'Tis a plot point. His wrist will heal when convient for the plot. Or when Rich gets tired of drawing a sling on Elan.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 03:12 PM
Well I would think that a spain isn't realy a wound. Nothing it cut or lost. Something is just misplaced and must be put back. Which I guess the cure can't do.

Wild speculation, but perhaps it is the "In Stick" reflection of the sprain of the creator.

I mean - not to suggest that the Giant sees himself as Elan (cause the Giant is much smarter, by far), but the Giant *IS* the creative talent behind the strip and Elan is the creative on of the party.

Or, perhaps the dwarf simply refuses to heal Elan cause he was stupid in how he sprained it. :)

What was so stupid about it? Him a V were carrying something. V let go. Its V's fault if anyone.

Ainr
2005-07-15, 03:17 PM
Well we know Xykon's plans for the gates now:

A) Control the power of the gates to control the universe.

or, failing that:

B) Destroy the gates and destroy the universe out of spite.

Though there is the distinct possibility that Xykon didn't know that destroying the gates had a negative aspect on the universe. Otherwise, it's reasonable to believe that he'd have been a little more pissed at Redcloak for blowing up the forrest gate. Theories?

Seraph
2005-07-15, 03:21 PM

Now I continue cursing my 6 hour time difference to the oots local time. ;P

elf plus halfling gives you the old creepy german elf that's three feet tall and talks in a disturbingly high voice.

halfling plus human is a leprechaun.

Greebo
2005-07-15, 03:28 PM
What was so stupid about it? Him a V were carrying something. V let go. Its V's fault if anyone.
Yeah but that doesnt mean the dwarf wouldn't think it was a good excuse not to heal him. :)

And a sprain *IS* an injury...ask a doc. :)

Melange
2005-07-15, 03:30 PM
The sprain is a status injury preventing him from making standard actions that require his hands. There is no HP damage from it...

tazzlair
2005-07-15, 03:31 PM
Poor Elan. Does anybody else feel sorry for him because of how naive he is? Poor guy just sails through blissfully ignorant of his own stupidity, you just got to love him.

I can't wait to see how they get out of this one!!

Eriol
2005-07-15, 03:42 PM
I just noticed how when asked if they've ever done anything "wrong", both Haley (as a rogue) and V (because of "arcane tampering") have kind of "guilty looks" on their faces, since being "good", they feel guilty about what they've done.

But Belkar? Ahh Belkar. "Never done anything wrong." Said with a 100% straight face. No guilt, etc. Definitely shifting my opinion of his alignment towards Evil. Evils don't feel guilty about doing evil things, only Good and Neutrals do.

So watch for "guilty looks" (or more importantly, the absence thereof) from now on...

;)

Melange
2005-07-15, 03:46 PM
I think Belkar just had a better bluff roll.

Starla
2005-07-15, 04:02 PM
If V dropped the other end then maybe that was V's revenge for Elan taking the credit for the Feather Fall. Maybe the next time V saves them he wants to make sure Elan doesn't get the credit.

Midnight Son
2005-07-15, 04:15 PM
Having a cut doesn't reduce your hit points either. It's the getting of a wound that reduces HP. If he were to be healed, all damage would correct itself as well. Besides, his cloak was healed at one point, so why not a wrist.

Qwernt
2005-07-15, 04:21 PM
A) Great comic!
B) Too many funny quotes in this one to pick one.
C) Isn't it ineresting that Roy has no problem putting the crown back arround his neck even though he KNOWS it makes hit appear evil (changing his aura)
D) Is the "I am affraid not" in reply to the "little candle lit affair", or to the "case of mistaken identity"? Given that she continues on by talking about what they are charged with, it seems that it might be in answer to the case of mistaken identity. It is so hard to tell when the bubbles aren't actually covering each other.

silvadel
2005-07-15, 04:31 PM
I wonder if they can just plead extreme stupidity.... I think any examination of our banjo-toting bard friend would certainly contribute copious evidence of prior utterly insipid acts.

Oh, and as to Xykon -- Maybe he wants to destroy all the gates except one, then claim that one and hold the universe hostage. Although I think it much more likely that he has no idea what they do except to know that they are powerful and he wants the power.

Adghar
2005-07-15, 04:38 PM
I just noticed how when asked if they've ever done anything "wrong", both Haley (as a rogue) and V (because of "arcane tampering") have kind of "guilty looks" on their faces, since being "good", they feel guilty about what they've done.

But Belkar? Ahh Belkar. "Never done anything wrong." Said with a 100% straight face. No guilt, etc. Definitely shifting my opinion of his alignment towards Evil. Evils don't feel guilty about doing evil things, only Good and Neutrals do.

So watch for "guilty looks" (or more importantly, the absence thereof) from now on...

;)

It was also funny the way they thought SGG (PG?) was referring to their crimes when clearly she was talking about the gate. Maybe I found it funny because of the pleasure of knowing what the main characters don't? The OotS were so in-character.

Kulatu
2005-07-15, 05:00 PM
That. Was. Great.

Quote of the Strip:
"ELAN!!!!"
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of Roy being really pissed, I shall fear no thwacking, for my lute and my banjo, they comfort me."
-Roy Greenhilt and Elan

matthew0028
2005-07-15, 05:07 PM
Psalm 23:4, King James Version
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=23&chapter=23&verse=4&version=9&context=v erse

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 05:28 PM
Offtopic.

Ordered my book last night :P. I realy cut it close. Remember this is the last day(assuming Giant hasn't already stopped).

Ontopic

So looks as if the order is goining Shojo's. Its all Elans fault but I'm sure its for the best.

Slibs
2005-07-15, 05:55 PM
Does the Valley of Roy mean Roy is the Penultimate Evil in a Banjo Centric Cosmos?

Crazegall
2005-07-15, 06:00 PM
Ontopic

So looks as if the order is goining Shojo's. Its all Elans fault but I'm sure its for the best.

Or, Shojo could be Soon's last name? (pointed out by someone else in another topic)

Meh, didn't find this episode as funny as some of the others (mostly because i didn't know that prayer..)
What I found interesting though, was the consequence of destroying the gate.

Mad_Max
2005-07-15, 06:00 PM
That. Was. Great.

Quote of the Strip:
"ELAN!!!!"
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of Roy being really pissed, I shall fear no thwacking, for my lute and my banjo, they comfort me."
-Roy Greenhilt and Elan

Definitely the quote of the strip ;D, Elan just gets so many good lines.

Midnight Son
2005-07-15, 06:06 PM
Does the Valley of Roy mean Roy is the Penultimate Evil in a Banjo Centric Cosmos?

No. Roy being really pissed is the penultimate evil.

Circon
2005-07-15, 06:09 PM
<nitpick>
"Yea, though I walk through valley of Roy being pissed" seems to flow better.
</nitpick>

THAT LINE WAS BRILLIANT. ;D ;D ;D

Does the Valley of Roy mean Roy is the Penultimate Evil in a Banjo Centric Cosmos?No, since it's only the valley of the shadow of death.

Elan's death, most likely. ;)

AfroDwarf
2005-07-15, 06:52 PM

If Roy's only the penultimate evil, I'd hate to think what could be the ultimate evil according to Banjo.

Shatteredtower
2005-07-15, 06:58 PM
Ah, my favourite psalm...

Loved the expressions and I'm going to agree with Eriol. Bluff might be a factor, but we've never seen Belkar feel guilty about anything. The only times we've seen him feel bad were that time he was going for RP XP and when V cast crushing despair on him -- and in neither case did he display feelings of guilt.

I can't see Roy's behaviour toward their captor as out of character for him because we haven't seen him deal with many known females on a regular basis. His association with Haley is under contract and he's being a responsible employer Who-Does-Not-Want-to-Get-Sued. I don't know if he'd be comfortable enough to try to find out whether he and V would be compatible -- after all, Roy's a bit senstive on the subject of wizardry in the family.

(What? There'd be another complication?)

Besides, isn't it traditional for the heroic fighter to become somewhat smitten with an attacker who is revealed to be an attractive female during the course of their first fight -- especially if she proceeds to whup him but good? ;)

mossfoot
2005-07-15, 08:05 PM
I love how this storyline is developing! And Elan said "pissed", what could be better ;)

(please don't mind the avatar, has nothing to do with here, that would be a big thumbs up if it were. I live in London and it's part of a strip I did about my feelings on the matter. It'll be gone in a week)

akumadaimyo
2005-07-15, 08:20 PM
I thought they needed to destroy that gate for some reason? Interesting to see that the Fuzzy Knights guy reads the comic too. I love Fuzzy Knights. I used to read Knights of the Dinner Table but I just found them too annoyingly close to some real life gamers at times :-P But I love Fuzzy Knights.

Adghar
2005-07-15, 08:43 PM
No, Roy enlisted the help of everyone else for aid in revenging against Xykon who killed Roy's father, and Elan just happened to press the self-destruct switch while they were in the castle.

Kish
2005-07-15, 09:32 PM
I thought they needed to destroy that gate for some reason?
So did Elan.

:P

Grey Watcher
2005-07-15, 09:50 PM
'Tis a plot point. His wrist will heal when convient for the plot. Or when Rich gets tired of drawing a sling on Elan.

There is actually an in character reason why Durkon hasn't healed Elan's sprained wrist.

You see, D&D uses the hit point system, and under this system, a living character has, essentially, three states of injury: fully functional (1 or more hit points), disabled (0 hit points), and dying (-1 to -9 hit points). Although there is the added factor of ability damage and drain as well as non-lethal damage, those only cover general injuries (for example, a toxin might inhibit your mobility, taking causing three points of ability damage), but there is no mechanic in the D&D universe for specific injuries, such as sprains, broken bones, or other forms of stress and injury that do not affect the entire system. Since there is no such thing as a sprained wrist, there is no such thing as a spell to counter it. And that is why Durkon hasn't used his divine magic to heal Elan's sprained wrist. We can only assumed that Elan managed to sprain it in the first place because he is so colossally stupid that he can unwittingly break the laws governing his universe.

Kulatu
2005-07-15, 09:52 PM
Yeah, sounds like a valid in-character reason to me.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 09:52 PM
Nope. Its V. fault.

Eriol
2005-07-15, 10:49 PM
We can only assumed that Elan managed to sprain it in the first place because he is so colossally stupid that he can unwittingly break the laws governing his universe.
rofl. I laughed out loud on that one. "unwittingly break the laws governing his universe" lol.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-15, 10:51 PM
Oh I just thought of a better comeback.

"Nope thats V.'s job ;D its true and funny(well. I think its funny.

Dorni
2005-07-15, 10:53 PM
I recall a group that was in a situation similar to the one that elan faces with his wrist. the cleric reasoned that when you are cut it would leave a gash as well as taking away a few hit points. since the gash dissapears when the target of his cure spells regain their hit points, he reasoned that if he used his cure spells on a broken limb that the limb would knit itself back together, and ran into trouble when the DM ruled that that since he wasn't curing hit points, the spell had no effect. so by rules, as said before, it is impossible to use magic (short of a Wish) to cure a specific injury. i do understand the logic behind that system, since hit points become meaningless when a charactor can specify "i want to cut off/cripple the knight's sword arm with my attack" or "I aim for his eye with my bow"

as to why belkar didn't feel any guilt when he denied that he had ever done any wrong, it is my perception that belkar is actually Evil. early in the series he was the sole member of the group to not be affected by an Unholy Blight spell and later he tried to "defeat" elan so he could gain some extra experience. he also had a sheet of lead handy when the paladin used Detect Evil. oh, and let us not forget that he enjoys killing anything and everything. most evil charactors do not feel guilty, for if they did feel guilty to any great degree it would be difficult for them to continue any plots they might have. that, and a decent bluff skill helps when in the company of good people.

as to xykon's plot, i recall that he was more interested in opening the gate than destroying it. my guess is that whatever power sealed inside, which helps keep the cosmos in line, can (in xykon's mind, at least) be claimed or controlled by a person who opens the gate.

Adghar
2005-07-15, 11:14 PM
What about regenerate (http://d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm)?

ekedolphin
2005-07-16, 12:10 AM
OOTS #203:

Oops! Looks like Elan touching that rune waaaay back in #118 had long-term consequences far beyond the "Uh-oh, we'd better get the heck outta here right now!" variety. Hee! Great to see the return of Banjo, too, even if it's apparently for a brief cameo.

And I'm still loving the way that Roy's coming on to Lady Paladin. Unlike the way Haley's flirted with Elan (at least, up until she kissed him on the cheek in #200), he's not trying to be subtle about it at all.

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-07-16, 02:14 AM
Smooth Roy... real smooth... not. Oh well, CHA is a ditch stat for Fighters anyways, can't really blame him.

That was a cute parody of a very good psalm.

Kasur
2005-07-16, 09:23 AM
Really, this strip causes me a genuine laugh.
Thanks so much Rich for make this morning easier!

Shatteredtower
2005-07-16, 06:19 PM
Smooth Roy... real smooth... not. Oh well, CHA is a ditch stat for Fighters anyways, can't really blame him.

Generally, yes, but Roy doesn't seem to have a dump stat. I don't know if the mind flayer spurned V for Roy based solely on Wisdom and Intelligence. One almost gets the feeling he'd been allowed to roll a character up and did pretty well.

Even so, a +1 or +2 Charisma modifier isn't the sort of bonus Roy needs to get a woman seeking his arrest to drop everything and go on a date with him. ;) I don't think he's got that many cross-class ranks in Diplomacy. I know he's got a few in Intimidate (and needs them to keep Belkar in line), though using that skill to score a date just isn't Roy's style either. ;)

ShadowDragon8685
2005-07-16, 09:58 PM
Well, he dosen't seem to be getting very far with the lady Paladin, does he?

But damn if he's not trying, though. :)

Shatteredtower
2005-07-16, 10:10 PM
Well, he dosen't seem to be getting very far with the lady Paladin, does he?

Nope, but even a 14 Charisma wouldn't be likely to make a difference in a case like this -- and I suspect that Roy's is closer to 12, 10 at the least. Not to go too deeply into game mechanics here, but they're lucky they've managed to get her attitude back from hostile (initially unfriendly at least) to somewhere between unfriendly and indifferent. Getting it to friendly is going to take more work that Roy could hope to accomplish even if he had Elan's 18 Charisma. ;)

But yeah, it's kind of cute watching him make futile efforts with one who is either oblivious to what he's suggesting -- or very determinedly ignoring it. :D

Blue_C.
2005-07-17, 12:14 AM
What about regenerate (http://d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm)?
That would do the trick, if they had access to it. I figure that Durkon is only about level 10, 11 at the most (I can't remember if he specifically used heal or not, but I don't think so). Anyways, he's still a couple of levels from making Elan whole again with a mere verbal component.

Kulatu
2005-07-17, 01:51 AM
That would do the trick, if they had access to it. I figure that Durkon is only about level 10, 11 at the most (I can't remember if he specifically used heal or not, but I don't think so). Anyways, he's still a couple of levels from making Elan whole again with a mere verbal component.

Durkon has used both Disrupting Weapon and Heal in the past, he has to be at least 11th. I think the Order of the Stick is probably coming on to 13th level if they aren't already.

Baatezu
2005-07-17, 03:21 AM
too bad for elan they're not playing 2nd edition.
according to the "combat & tactics" book, if you cast a cure serious wounds on a broken bone, then the bone will mend but you won't get any HP back. if you cast Heal, then the bone will mend AND you get your HP back.
and that's talking about broken bone, not sprained, which should be easier to fix

Sundog
2005-07-17, 09:53 AM
I just love the "spotlight" effect of the Lady Paladin using Detect Evil, similar to the one from the clerics' holy symbol for Turn Undead... ;D

Knubs
2005-07-17, 03:45 PM
I think it was really awful how that paladin was so mean to Belkar about his piece of lead. He had a right to carry it around, and it's no duty of hers to tell him what to do. I carry a lead plate around all the time, and I believe it to be insulting that others wish to impose their habits of non-lead-carrying on those of us who do carry lead! DOWN WITH THE LEAD OPPRESSORS!!! I HAVE A DREAM! A DREAM IN WHICH THOSE OF US WHO CARRY SHEETS OF LEAD CAN DO SO WITHOUT BEING SHUNNED!!!

Jenmoa
2005-07-18, 12:54 AM
I believe it to be insulting that others wish to impose their habits of non-lead-carrying on those of us who do carry lead! DOWN WITH THE LEAD OPPRESSORS!!! I HAVE A DREAM! A DREAM IN WHICH THOSE OF US WHO CARRY SHEETS OF LEAD CAN DO SO WITHOUT BEING SHUNNED!!!
Hahahaha.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:
The first and last panels were very good. I LOVE Elan's psalm to Banjo. ;D Amazing. Sheer brilliance.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-18, 01:29 AM
Q. Will stripes stop for comiccon(or what ever)? I know this is sorta late but I have been reading Harry Potter6.

Shatteredtower
2005-07-18, 01:38 AM
I just realized: she uses words like "ancillary"! No wonder Roy is so smitten!

Perhaps a bit odd that she still hasn't given her name, though I suppose she still has cause to remain cautious here.

Lothorus
2005-07-18, 05:07 AM
And here we are again... nearing the sixth hour of the morning (well, hear in the east coast, anyway), our mouse cursors hovering over the refresh button in at least one extra browser where the current comic is displayed, waiting for the moment when at last our next comic appears.

*sigh*

Yeesh, I am such a dramaboma.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-18, 06:26 AM
Right, and don't forget that it now doesn't count as late until midnight tomorrow...

wantthecomicwantthecomicwantthecomicwantthecomic.. . ;D

tazzlair
2005-07-18, 09:30 AM

Durkon has used heal as recently as episode #201

narfi_ref
2005-07-18, 12:05 PM
Um, I think you should check your sources. Altered states of mind were considered holy by the Norse, so it's unlikely one of them ever wrote a poem warning against drunkenness.

From the Havamal
A better burden can no man bear
on the way than his mother wit:
and no worse provision can he carry with him
than too deep a draught of ale.

Less good than they say for the sons of men
is the drinking oft of ale:
for the more they drink, the less can they think
and keep a watch o'er their wits.

A bird of Unmindfulness flutters o'er ale feasts,
wiling away men's wits:
with the feathers of that fowl I was fettered once
in the garths of Gunnlos below.

Drunk was I then, I was over drunk
in that crafty Jötun's court.
But best is an ale feast when man is able
to call back his wits at once.

Sorry to have to bring up this tangent from the old thread, but I can't let this go without proving my point.

jamwno
2005-07-18, 01:59 PM
One thing that's been bothering me for a while... Why doesn't Belkar have an animal companion?

Grey Watcher
2005-07-18, 02:03 PM
One thing that's been bothering me for a while... Why doesn't Belkar have an animal companion?

We've already seen (here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=58)) that Belkar can't keep track of his class abilities.

purka
2005-07-18, 02:05 PM
Maybe his animal companion works like Vs Blackwing.

*pop*

kradman
2005-07-18, 02:13 PM
may i suggest letting go of things from time to time? its healthy you know!
took me a while to post this so yeah doesn't make sense anymore..
and new comic is up.. its soo funny.. awesome man.. awesome..

GnollLord
2005-07-18, 02:23 PM
If Belker had an animal companion then he'd probably kill it for XP

nihil8r
2005-07-18, 02:27 PM
If Belker had an animal companion then he'd probably kill it for XP

You assume he didn't do that already.

The Giant
2005-07-18, 02:28 PM
Comic's up.

Lawful_Stupid
2005-07-18, 02:30 PM
Hey, Blue Girl actually has a name!

Poeir
2005-07-18, 02:32 PM
That's in the running for the funniest thing I have ever seen. The "Indeed. It took me nearly 80 strips to get here." was funny enough by itself, and I mistook it for mere exposition, which only made the remainder funnier.

yrro
2005-07-18, 02:33 PM
Teehee. Bone is a great verb. It's very crude and yet won't lose your PG13 rating.

And Roy's definitely showing the lawful side of his character. When you think about it, the only thing separating Roy from a Paladin is the religious fervor.

nihil8r
2005-07-18, 02:34 PM
Comic's up.

Thank you!

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-07-18, 02:37 PM
Well it seems now we know how she got the paladin class with the evasion and her weapon choice. We also get gratitous use of the word "bone" as a verb ;D

mastroyo
2005-07-18, 02:37 PM
I don't get it.
If there are 6 OoTStickers, average level 9-10 ¿?
What level must BG be to pose a threat? Epic?
I don't know the EL-CR mechanichs of 3rd edition, but beating up 6 L10 characters seems a lot!
And, if BG is 20ish level, what is her master's level (Shoon)?

Lilly
2005-07-18, 02:38 PM
Teehee. Bone is a great verb. It's very crude and yet won't lose your PG13 rating.

And Roy's definitely showing the lawful side of his character. When you think about it, the only thing separating Roy from a Paladin is the religious fervor.

And the rule about not traveling with evil people but eh whatever...

And he walked right into that. There is no proper answer to Belkar's question.

Kish
2005-07-18, 02:42 PM
And Roy's definitely showing the lawful side of his character.
Actually, I'm quite disappointed in Haley (and provisionally disappointed in Vaarsuvius, until we find out if s/he has a good reason for not speaking up immediately and agreeing with Roy). All the good characters should have dismissed killing Miko as an option immediately now that she's not attacking them and it's determined that she's good.

Darkspear
2005-07-18, 02:42 PM
Defintionally :D Love it.

Nothing like Roy's Lawful Good nature finally coming out.

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-18, 02:45 PM
I wish that Roy hadn't cut her off before she finished saying whose daughter she was.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-18, 02:46 PM
I loved the new comic. However the fact that she calls herself a Samerai should keep the debate going for awhile eh?

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-18, 02:49 PM
Actually, I'm quite disappointed in Haley (and provisionally disappointed in Vaarsuvius, until we find out if s/he has a good reason for not speaking up immediately and agreeing with Roy). All the good characters should have dismissed killing Miko as an option immediately now that she's not attacking them and it's determined that she's good.
Mmm... there's a good chance that all the good characters did just that. Note that Elan and Durkon aren't in the conversation.

Crazegall
2005-07-18, 02:50 PM
I don't get it.
If there are 6 OoTStickers, average level 9-10 ¿?
What level must BG be to pose a threat? Epic?
I don't know the EL-CR mechanichs of 3rd edition, but beating up 6 L10 characters seems a lot!
And, if BG is 20ish level, what is her master's level (Shoon)?

She probably would not be able to take them all down, but she would (most likely) be able to kill one or two of them. But that's just my bet.
Anyway, Soon isn't her master? Shojo is! I doubt that we're gonna see Soon soon xP

Fireballed_Mage
2005-07-18, 02:53 PM
While I hope Roy has a long, pain-filled courtship filled with misunderstandings and screw-ups, I can think of some things that would help him in getting somewhere with Miko:

1) Stop calling her 'babe', 'honey', etc.

2) Actually letting Miko finish what's she's talking about.

3) Pray to every good aligned deity that Miko doesn't get the meaning behind the frequent use of the word 'bone.' :D

In the end Miko probably has a boyfriend/hubby, as that would make Roy feel the most embarrassed after trying to hit on her for the 80 or so strips it takes to get to Azure City.

On the other hand, I have a weakness for relationships between characters who totally pooch their first meeting. So either way is good.

The Giant
2005-07-18, 02:53 PM

To be fair, she didn't SUGGEST killing Miko, or even agree that's what she wanted; she simply said she liked surrendering even less. If I had more panels, I could show Haley suggesting a combat-based, non-lethal alternative, but that seemed unnecessary to make the point of the strip.

For example, I could see Haley being a proponent of the "Knock her out, then run away" plan, easily.

Jevanyn
2005-07-18, 02:57 PM

I disagree. This is a perfectly normal post mortem by players on how they should defeat the opponent for XP.

They're also about to be arraigned (I guessed at the spelling :-) ), so their chaotic instincts are showing.

On another note: Hmm, Azure City, Sapphire Guard, how much you want to bet they get there an everything is ORANGE! <daffy_duck> Hoo hoo! Hoo hoo! Hoo! Hoo Hoo! </daffy_duck> Sorry, it's been pent up waiting for the comic today :-)

Old_Book
2005-07-18, 03:02 PM
To be fair, she didn't SUGGEST killing Miko, or even agree that's what she wanted; she simply said she liked surrendering even less. If I had more panels, I could show Haley suggesting a combat-based, non-lethal alternative, but that seemed unnecessary to make the point of the strip.

For example, I could see Haley being a proponent of the "Knock her out, then run away" plan, easily.

We bow before your wisdom, mighty one. :)

Besides, not many "good" PCs would give up without a fight, especially Rogues. Too much chance that the lawmen will confiscate the party's hard-earned loot.

Wanderer
2005-07-18, 03:13 PM
Hmm... based on my investigation of the samurai class, I suspect that she must be cross-class samurai/paladin. A logical combination, actually.

I DO like the "Indeed. It took me nearly 80 strips to get here." Although "Can everyone stop using the word 'bone' as a verb?!" ranks pretty high up there as well. ;D

Sylian
2005-07-18, 03:14 PM
Well, Haley and V is Neutral or something, rigth?

I would put V as Neutral, sometimes orginazed, sometimes angry and throwing magic, doing strange stuff when bored...

Haley as Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good, probably Neutral...

rthr_b_sailing
2005-07-18, 03:21 PM
Defintionally :D Love it.

though the 80 strips and the "bone" comments make me laugh, this word almost made me fall out of my chair. And I am not sure it is a word, MS Word does not like it at all and I can not find it defined as a word. Rather interesting that Roy has an MBA and spoke with that word... ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-18, 03:41 PM
though the 80 strips and the "bone" comments make me laugh, this word almost made me fall out of my chair. And I am not sure it is a word, MS Word does not like it at all and I can not find it defined as a word. Rather interesting that Roy has an MBA and spoke with that word... ;D

Definitionally. The adverb form of "Definition". Like when someone does something "happily", they are doing it "in a happy way". So when someone is "definitionally" doing something, they are acting in a way that befits their definition. ;D

Miko Miyazaki. Very Japanese. At least better than "Shojo". :P

Oh, and she's very likely both Paladin and Samurai. I don't think Samurais get Smite Evil(although they get Kiai Smite, if going by Complete Warrior. I forget what the Oriental Adventures version get, but I better shut up before I get ModSmacked for discussing rules and stuff)

jgf
2005-07-18, 03:53 PM
Ah, finally a sidequest (to clear their names) that Roy can look forward to. ;D I hereby dub this the Bonus Sidequest.

The Giant
2005-07-18, 04:16 PM
Dictionary.com definition of "Definition". (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=definitional) "Definitional" is at the bottom as an adjective form; "Definitionally" is merely the adverb form of that adjective.

As in, being Good is part of the very definition of what the word "paladin" means (at least in D&D). The moment you are not Good, you are not a paladin. Therefore, paladins are definitionally one of the good guys. Conversely, halflings are NOT definitionally Small, because a halfling can be the recipient of Enlarge Person (making them Medium) and still be a halfling.

Beamup
2005-07-18, 04:23 PM
Anyway, Soon isn't her master? Shojo is! I doubt that we're gonna see Soon soon xP
One possibility I can see is that Soon was (is?) also a member of the Sapphire Guard, even if "Soon Shojo" doesn't pan out. And that his gate is in the Guard's HQ. And that Xykon is going to choose that gate to go after next, leading to everybody meeting back up again down south.

GreyRat
2005-07-18, 04:31 PM
(It just occurred to me that Rich's avatar should be holding a pen; it's mightier than the sword, write? Er, I mean right?
Maybe he doesn't want to seem _too_ intimidating. Or maybe he just couldn't find a Giant-sized pen. I had a heck of a time finding this pencil! ;) )

Anyway, I hope Haley gives Roy some ettiquette tips; she seems to have some points in the social skills. Or at least in Bluff, Ms. Five-Ordinary-Rocks. ;D

Midnight Son
2005-07-18, 04:35 PM
One possibility I can see is that Soon was (is?) also a member of the Sapphire Guard, even if "Soon Shojo" doesn't pan out. And that his gate is in the Guard's HQ. And that Xykon is going to choose that gate to go after next, leading to everybody meeting back up again down south.

Fight, fight, fight, fight the urge to make predictions in this thread.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2005-07-18, 04:44 PM
Did anyone notice that Hayley's clothes are a different color in the most recent strip?

Wanderer
2005-07-18, 05:10 PM
Did anyone notice that Hayley's clothes are a different color in the most recent strip?
Umm... no? They're the exact same color they've been since the beginning, or at least close enough as to be indistinguishable to my eyes.

RebelRogue
2005-07-18, 05:44 PM
"I would rather help her knock you all out than watch her Ginsu one of you."

I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm pretty confused by the word "Ginsu". What does it mean? Is it some kind of slang? Being written with capital letters it looks like a name. ???

Midnight Son
2005-07-18, 05:51 PM

I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm pretty confused by the word "Ginsu". What does it mean? Is it some kind of slang? Being written with capital letters it looks like a name. ???

A "Ginsu" is a brand of knife that is known for being very sharp. Try a google search.

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-18, 05:53 PM

Ginsu is a brand-name for a very sharp knife. It's also the American name for Sho, the ninja in Captain Commando.

jgf: You have no idea how bad that pun sounds...

rthr_b_sailing
2005-07-18, 05:57 PM
Acknowledging that I have read both responses to my post. I still believe the word is something a MBA would not normally use and I still do not see it as a real "word". Roy's use of the word in that he always wants to be seen as a scholar and not a "dumb tank" is what is so funny.

In point of fact, I had looked up the very same definition that the Giant has provided. It does not list "defintionally as a form of the word "definitional". It lists the adjective but no legal "adverb". If Roy were to speak grammatically correct he might have said "by definition" in its place rather than the word used, which is why it is so darn funny to me.

I offer you the following to support my theory.

I looked up the word "actual" at the same site, dictionary.com. This word has an adverb form listed as legal.

see site entry at http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=actual

Under the entry for definitional there is no corresponding entry of the word form as an adverb.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=definitional

I was always taught that the dictionary lists all the conjugations of a word, and if it is not listed it therefore is not legitimate.

The whole thing really becomes moot, I would say, as I found it funny the way it is. To be worded otherwise would not be funny.

RebelRogue
2005-07-18, 06:13 PM
A "Ginsu" is a brand of knife that is known for being very sharp. Try a google search.
Ah, I see. I just tried dictionary.com and got nothing. Makes sense. Thanks :)

Hallan
2005-07-18, 06:20 PM
Acknowledging that I have read both responses to my post. I still believe the word is something a MBA would not normally use and I still do not see it as a real "word". Roy's use of the word in that he always wants to be seen as a scholar and not a "dumb tank" is what is so funny.

In point of fact, I had looked up the very same definition that the Giant has provided. It does not list "defintionally as a form of the word "definitional". It lists the adjective but no legal "adverb". If Roy were to speak grammatically correct he might have said "by definition" in its place rather than the word used, which is why it is so darn funny to me.

I offer you the following to support my theory.

I looked up the word "actual" at the same site, dictionary.com. This word has an adverb form listed as legal.

see site entry at http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=actual

Under the entry for definitional there is no corresponding entry of the word form as an adverb.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=definitional

I was always taught that the dictionary lists all the conjugations of a word, and if it is not listed it therefore is not legitimate.

The whole thing really becomes moot, I would say, as I found it funny the way it is. To be worded otherwise would not be funny.

Roy said "I am NOT going along with this because I want to 'bone' her!"
Note the quotation marks around the word bone, roy is quoting belkar not useing the word and bone is a word just not supposed to be a verb

ekedolphin
2005-07-18, 06:26 PM
OOTS #204:

Hilarious comic as always. Another funny example of fourth-wall breaking with Miko saying, "It took me nearly eighty strips to get here." Ha!

And as soon as they drag Roy into conference, Belkar immediately starts with battle strategy. I don't know, something about that made me laugh, too.

Belkar accusing Roy of wanting to "bone" Miko was great, too, because Roy was protesting so much that you know Belkar must have hit very close to home.

And speaking of which... hey, Da Blue Gal or Lady Paladin or whomever has a name now! Miko Miyazaki... I'm more than happy with that.

Hobot
2005-07-18, 06:34 PM
Roy said "I am NOT going along with this because I want to 'bone' her!"
Note the quotation marks around the word bone, roy is quoting belkar not useing the word and bone is a word just not supposed to be a verb

Er, I think you missed what he was talking about. He was debating the existence of the adverb "defintionally." There was no mention of the usage of "bone."

silvadel
2005-07-18, 07:09 PM
Don't they have all of that dragon treasure to dispose of? I mean I wouldnt want to have that sit around while I travelled half-way across the world...

And there is no way I would make that long of a journey without procuring a teleport from a wizard or a teleport spell for vars to cast(preferably without error if he is up for it).

Yellow
2005-07-18, 07:29 PM
The name Miko instantly brings to mind, Miko Mido. :-X

Perhaps they will run into an alienist, and she will be tentacle raked...

(I always loved how alienists and alienist-made monsters have an attack called tentacle rake. :P The name Miko makes it thirty times worse. :P)

kradman
2005-07-18, 07:39 PM
awesome.. just awesome.. they should totaly just attack her.. i remember when my DM through things like this at us...Kill first ask questions laters, specially if you have a cleric its very easy :)

KILLL KILLLL KILLLLL

Wanderer
2005-07-18, 07:53 PM

Perhaps they will run into an alienist, and she will be tentacle raked...

(I always loved how alienists and alienist-made monsters have an attack called tentacle rake. :P The name Miko makes it thirty times worse. :P)
...Umm... unless it's intended as a joke, I really doubt the word is, in fact, "rake." :o

Lunacicada
2005-07-18, 07:54 PM
It seemed to me that Roy's use of 'definitionally' is funny but also demonstrates that he is an intelligent user of Common/English rather than someone who obeys certain "rules" in order to appear to be educated.

Also, I was surprised to hear that if a dictionary doesn't list it explicitly, you don't recognize it. The dictionary site you used doesn't list 'cats' as a plural of 'cat.'

Yellow
2005-07-18, 08:08 PM
...Umm... unless it's intended as a joke, I really doubt the word is, in fact, "rake." :o

That IS the name of alienist monster attacks. Tentacle rake. :o

Rand
2005-07-18, 08:27 PM
wouldnt being half the size of a halfling mean any weapons you would use would be baby toys. So basically it would be hillarious to watch one of these quarterlings run around.

Seraph
2005-07-18, 08:37 PM

ghkkkkt. the fact that someone was referring to her as "Da Blue Gal" after #200 is just making things worse.

Devils_Advocate
2005-07-18, 08:41 PM
Umm... no? They're the exact same color they've been since the beginning, or at least close enough as to be indistinguishable to my eyes.
Haley's clothes and Roy's armor have been noticeably brighter in color since the art upgrade (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=198), actually.

If you can't tell the difference, it may be due more to your monitor settings than your eyes.

Kulatu
2005-07-18, 08:58 PM
Just read #204, good job Rich! *Applauds.*

Quotes of the Strip:
"Are you just going along with this because you want to bone her?"
-Belkar Bitterleaf

"Can everyone stop using the word "bone" as a verb?!"
-Roy Greenhilt

Umael
2005-07-18, 09:10 PM

WHAT?!?

That doesn't sound like Haley at all!

Where is the "rob her blind" part?

It should be somewhere between "Knock her out" and "then run away"...

Beamup
2005-07-18, 09:15 PM
WHAT?!?

That doesn't sound like Haley at all!

Where is the "rob her blind" part?

It should be somewhere between "Knock her out" and "then run away"...

She can't exactly suggest robbing her blind. Then she'd have to split the loot! It would, however, be so Haley to linger behind a couple seconds as everyone else runs off. Then, when questioned about what she was doing, she says something along the lines of "restocking on feminine products."

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-18, 09:37 PM
Ginsu is a brand-name for a very sharp knife.
Makes it sort of ironic that Roy is complaining about "bone" being used as a verb, when he's committing the same linguistic sin.

As Calvin & Hobbes taught us, verbing weirds language.

Particle_Man
2005-07-18, 09:38 PM
This Paladin is such a DMPC! A monk/samurai/paladin with 18 in every stat. ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I bet she has taken a vow of chastity or something. Roy so has no chance.

I wonder if Belkar is going to simply kill the paladin in her sleep? But I guess that would be hard to explain to his friends the rest of the party.

Ok, now for the real speculation...has Elan "experimented" with his girdle yet? :D :-*

[edit] That's odd,I thought the "glow" function would make the words "vow of chastity" glow but I got nothing. Was the function disabled, or is my browser's ad blocker being picky?

Kulatu
2005-07-18, 09:39 PM
Verbing rules, as does this strip. It would have been entertaining to see Haley voting to knock her out and run while she "resupplied feminine products", but the Giant is right. There were not enough panels to justify taking time away from the point.

Applebone
2005-07-18, 10:11 PM
nice...like this one alot.

notice how Roy still doesn't deny to wanting to bone her, even after he is accused to admitting so.

Wanderer
2005-07-18, 10:11 PM
Haley's clothes and Roy's armor have been noticeably brighter in color since the art upgrade (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=198), actually.

If you can't tell the difference, it may be due more to your monitor settings than your eyes.
Meh? After flipping back and forth multiple times, I still don't see any change that qualifies as "noticable." On the other hand, I'm currently reduced to using my laptop, and I do know this screen has more trouble with color than my normal monitor...

evileeyore
2005-07-18, 10:40 PM
Hmm... based on my investigation of the samurai class, I suspect that she must be cross-class samurai/paladin. A logical combination, actually.

Or even more logically samarai is being used as a title, much like knight would be. She is thus a Paladin (no multiclassing) and holds the title of samarai of the Lord Shojo.

manscatha
2005-07-18, 10:50 PM
She can't exactly suggest robbing her blind. Then she'd have to split the loot! It would, however, be so Haley to linger behind a couple seconds as everyone else runs off. Then, when questioned about what she was doing, she says something along the lines of "restocking on feminine products."

Interestingly enough, she might be able to use that line as an excuse for going through Miko's pockets, without resorting to lingering. After all, Miko, as a human female, might conceivably have such products--indeed, she is one of the people for whom they are definitionally intended--and nobody else in the party is likely to be interested. (Surely Elves, of either gender, have no need for such items.)

Shatteredtower
2005-07-18, 11:15 PM
"Haley, finish the horse early."

Nice to see that Belkar can remember some things. ;)

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-18, 11:39 PM
"Haley, finish the horse early."

Nice to see that Belkar can remember some things. ;)

The horse has attacked him, and has never really left his sight since then, so he has not needed to make any additional Spot checks(and with Belkar, it's almost always "out of sight, out of mind", literally)

Umael
2005-07-19, 01:15 AM

Oh, of course.

Silly me.

(Note to self: Play more rogues, play them more often. Am not getting into mindset fast enough. Losing touch.)

ekedolphin
2005-07-19, 01:23 AM
I didn't notice it until Devils Advocate mentioned it, but yep, Roy's tunic and Haley's clothes are definitely brighter after the art upgrade. The difference (especially with Roy) is quite striking, actually.

And I find it ironic that the people most irritated by the hentai references (intentional and unintentional) are also well-versed enough in the subject to know who Miko Mido and La Blue Girl are.

kerberos
2005-07-19, 01:40 AM
Meh? After flipping back and forth multiple times, I still don't see any change that qualifies as "noticable." On the other hand, I'm currently reduced to using my laptop, and I do know this screen has more trouble with color than my normal monitor...

don't flip back and forth, just open two browsers and compare. If you still can't see the difference there's something seriously wrong with you menitor. Either that or you're light blue-dark blue colourblind. ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-07-19, 01:42 AM
Anyone else fining it a bit stupid that everytime a new strip comes up. Not realy discussing anything? Such as "Who's magical gate would you want to get into" lead plate of manhood and evilgasm. I mean is their any reason for them to exist behound everyone say "yeah that was awsome" over and over. Isn't that what this place is for?

kerberos
2005-07-19, 01:44 AM
I didn't notice it until Devils Advocate mentioned it, but yep, Roy's tunic and Haley's clothes are definitely brighter after the art upgrade. The difference (especially with Roy) is quite striking, actually.

And I find it ironic that the people most irritated by the hentai references (intentional and unintentional) are also well-versed enough in the subject to know who Miko Mido and La Blue Girl are.

I'd say that's pretty logical, after all it's hard for those of us who previously had absolutly no clue who La Blue Girl and Miko Mido was, to be irritated by the reference.

jgf
2005-07-19, 02:04 AM
jgf: You have no idea how bad that pun sounds...
Actually, I do. But thanks for noticing. ;)

Melange
2005-07-19, 03:27 AM
The bone boned the bone on the bone with the bone, boning the boned bone as the bone boned a boning bone so the bone can bone a bone-a-rific bone.

*Squee* All those bones have given me a CENSORED.

Me: Hey! I only was saying giggle-fit....
Censorship Guy: Oh... sorry... I thought you were going to say bo-Good night folks!

Gotta love 204...

Aeek
2005-07-19, 05:20 AM
if this goes on OOTS risks becoming a stick strip.

yrro
2005-07-19, 07:01 AM
I find the Miko Mido thing hilarious mostly because it's the second time that the Giant has (unintentionally, or so he claims) made a hentai reference in the strip. If you look back far enough on the boards, despite what everyone who's ever seen even clips from La Blue Girl would instantly think, Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced intrusion were just supposed to sound uncomfortable, not be a reference to japanese pornography.

Which, hopefully, means we're be spared the moment when V has to cast that spell on poor Miko, and she defeats it with her sex magic.

Runolfr
2005-07-19, 10:35 AM

I daresay that the Giant is deliberately keeping the identify of Lord Shojo vague. It's entirely possible that he is Lord Shojo Soon (the given name generally following the family name in the Japanese tradition, IIRC), and that he was an adventuring companion of Dorukan as many suspect. On the other hand, he may be a successor to Soon as master of the Sapphire Guard, or Soon may be unaffiliated with the Sapphire Guard. Only future strips will tell us.

The_mighty_Bob
2005-07-19, 01:27 PM
the sad thing is how close a couple of these guys are to some of my regular players ;D

King_Troll
2005-07-19, 02:19 PM
the sad thing is how close a couple of these guys are to some of my regular players ;D

That's the point and what makes OOTS so funny. You read a couple of strips and say to yourself, "I've gamed with that guy!!!". For me this was especially true of the time when Belkar decided to torch a tent at the bandit camp - typical of a few guys I know!

The_mighty_Bob
2005-07-19, 02:48 PM
DONT MENTION BANDIT CAMPS!!

I still have nightmares from the time they blew one up with a tent full of greek fire. 6 HOURS i spent writing that encounter and how long did it last, 3 and a half minutes!!

Seriously though you're right. I see elements of both myself and the people i game with in OOTS all the time. Rich you are a genius.

The_Stoney_One
2005-07-19, 03:33 PM
I firmly believe that belkar is able to transcend into our plane and inhabit players when playing DnD!

What DM has not experienced the utter anihaltion of 5+ hours of work on a location for your player's pleasure in under -5 minutes.

I must say though, mine was due to clever players.

Mine was a dragons cave I spent multiple hours desiging the cavern complex, only for the PC's just to attempt to seal the cave shut to get the attention of the dragon.

Well, they got the attention of the dragon, and sucessfully eluded 2 sessions I planned that would be for these encounters.

King_Troll
2005-07-19, 03:45 PM
The_mighty_Bob & The_Stoney_One

Sounds like you might have some interesting stories to share in the Gaming section under "Funny Game Related Stories", if you can deal with the pain of recalling the incidents. :)

Duskrider_Moogle
2005-07-19, 05:51 PM
I daresay that the Giant is deliberately keeping the identify of Lord Shojo vague. It's entirely possible that he is Lord Shojo Soon (the given name generally following the family name in the Japanese tradition, IIRC), and that he was an adventuring companion of Dorukan as many suspect. On the other hand, he may be a successor to Soon as master of the Sapphire Guard, or Soon may be unaffiliated with the Sapphire Guard. Only future strips will tell us.

I think that she was going to say "daughter of Soon Miyazaki" before being cut off...except that the OotS wouldn't know about that. So hey.

Sir_Banjo
2005-07-19, 07:21 PM
So is dorukan dead or what?

The lich took over his tower, but I don't remember there being anywhere in the comic where it said he was killed.

Duskrider_Moogle
2005-07-19, 07:41 PM
So is dorukan dead or what?

The lich took over his tower, but I don't remember there being anywhere in the comic where it said he was killed.

Shadowy Monster-type: The guy in the yellow robe. That's the guy you killed over Crooked Mountain last year!

kriebly
2005-07-20, 01:04 AM
While I hope Roy has a long, pain-filled courtship filled with misunderstandings and screw-ups,

I suspect the pain, misunderstandings, and screw-ups won't end when the courtship phase is over.

I can think of some things that would help him in getting somewhere with Miko:

1) Stop calling her 'babe', 'honey', etc.

But people in relationships call each other that all the time. It's one of the factors preventing couples-people from getting along with singles-people.

2) Actually letting Miko finish what's she's talking about.

Ah, but a trademark of people seriously dating is finishing each other's sentences (which qualifies as factor #2).

3) Pray to every good aligned deity that Miko doesn't get the meaning behind the frequent use of the word 'bone.' :D

So, do paladins have jedi-like dating restrictions?

Anyway, he has the best chance of hooking up with her if he memorizes this phrase:

"*sigh*...You're right....I'm sorry."

On the other hand, I have a weakness for relationships between characters who totally pooch their first meeting. So either way is good.
I see Han-and-Leia-style romantic tension in their future.

irongolem
2005-07-20, 07:15 AM
Anyway, he has the best chance of hooking up with her if he memorizes this phrase:

"*sigh*...You're right....I'm sorry."

I see Han-and-Leia-style romantic tension in their future.

Er.. actually.. this is a pre-requisite for any conversion with a wife/gf. ;)

Xander77
2005-07-20, 07:20 AM
Just as an aside, Miko is the vassal of lord Shojo and the daughter of X-san. Obviously the 2 are not the same, and (presumably) at least one of them is as yet unknown to the readers...

yrro
2005-07-20, 07:31 AM
And if Miko is Soon's daughter, her pappy's going to be quite upset when he sees Roy hitting on her :) Don't mess with the old Japanese guy, as you can see in any martial arts film, they always kick the most hiny.

Aeek
2005-07-20, 08:04 AM
Took me a number of "is there a new comic"s to register Belkar's frown & final grin, then notice Haley & V are also frowning. Now the final grin is my favourite bit of this strip.

Hallan
2005-07-20, 08:22 AM
Er, I think you missed what he was talking about. He was debating the existence of the adverb "defintionally." There was no mention of the usage of "bone."

Sorry I was Responding to earlier post and quoted a similer but wrong one I was answering the one earlier about roy useing the word bone

DJMG
2005-07-20, 09:11 AM
Why can I hear Elan singing "Bone, bone, bone, bone the beautiful Paladin" ? ;D

Aeek
2005-07-20, 09:28 AM

Probably not connected:

Knick, knack, paddy wack, Give the dog a bone ...

Belkar has a riding dog.

AfroDwarf
2005-07-20, 09:30 AM

Wow that is funny. You just made my week.

The_mighty_Bob
2005-07-20, 10:38 AM
I can imagine the strip
-Elan outside a window-

"Bone, bone, bone the beautiful paladin"

"ELAN!!"

"flee, flee, flee the angry fighter"

Adolfo
2005-07-20, 10:59 AM
To think I was guessing the meaning (I'm asian) but found an Urban Dictionary....great vocab Rich ;D

Jevanyn
2005-07-20, 12:19 PM
Speaking of verbing, no one noticed Haley using "conference" as a verb, as opposed to "confer".

The countdown for the appearance of a gun-toting panda begins now.

Fireballed_Mage
2005-07-20, 01:10 PM
I suspect the pain, misunderstandings, and screw-ups won't end when the courtship phase is over.

Unfortunately we probably won't see that, the Giant having limited space to tell story and/or relationship. They may never get together (ie: women in adventuring stories/plots/movies generally not having good life expectancies), I just want to enjoy Roy's pain.

I'm shallow that way. ;D

But people in relationships call each other that all the time. It's one of the factors preventing couples-people from getting along with singles-people.

But they're not really in a relationship yet. It's all Roy hitting on her, and she hasn't responded to it. Despite what stalkers think, a relationship is not a one-way street.

Although, I do have to admit that having the girl attempt to smite evil upon you is great way to get things going.

Ah, but a trademark of people seriously dating is finishing each other's sentences (which qualifies as factor #2).

He's not finishing her sentences, he's cutting off what she's saying. Unfortunately there's a difference, and most women don't seem to like it from my experience.

So, do paladins have jedi-like dating restrictions?

No, but again, the imperical evidence I have procured suggests that more professional, successful women don't think 'boning' a topic of conversation for just after you first meet.

kerberos
2005-07-20, 01:13 PM
Considering that the conference they held was about how best to kill Blue Girl, I think it's a fair guess that they held it ouside of her hearing range, so she probably didn't hear the frequent use of the word bone.

Stalker
2005-07-20, 01:17 PM
Despite what stalkers think, a relationship is not a one-way street.

Hey! Who said I think relationships are a one-way street? ;)

Lothorus
2005-07-20, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately we probably won't see that, the Giant having limited space to tell story and/or relationship. They may never get together (ie: women in adventuring stories/plots/movies generally not having good life expectancies), I just want to enjoy Roy's pain.

Ahh yes, the classic James T. Kirk Syndrome. Whenever some female cast member shows interest in the lead guy, she will likely soon die in an extraordinary and fairly unlikely way.

Sylvius
2005-07-20, 01:41 PM
Speaking of verbing, no one noticed Haley using "conference" as a verb, as opposed to "confer".

I noticed. Drove me nuts.

I oppose verbing, but I oppose it even more where there's already a word for whatever it is people are trying to say.

"Let's calendarize that."
"Or we could SCHEDULE it."

The Giant
2005-07-20, 02:14 PM
New strip is up.

Doug_Lampert
2005-07-20, 02:16 PM
And Durkon shows the high value of a Wisdom score in getting Haley to do what he wants.

Good old sense motive to know that he actually had her on reason 2.

Drake_Dragonslayer
2005-07-20, 02:16 PM
Hehe, I love it.

"The order of the stick, as fearlessly led by Roy's pants." - Hilarious.

Good job yet again.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-20, 02:21 PM
You are incredible Giant. ;D

Alsadius
2005-07-20, 02:22 PM
Two quick points: One, typo on "prioity". Two, glad to see the Tyrinar storyline won't be left for dead. I wasn't expecting it to be or anything, but confirmation is good ;)

Eriol
2005-07-20, 02:27 PM
A few things:

Durkon's high wisdom shows its value once again. He COMPLETELY understands Haley... almost.

What's with the tendancy to call people only by their first initial? "V" has been around a long time (and is honestly easier to type IMO), now we have "D". Are R, B, E, and H much further behind? How about N, T, and S? (Actually quite strange there's no overlap the characters until you get to Hilgya and Redcloak)

And notice the GP total? Assuming 1M GP between all 6, then Haley almost has enough ON HER OWN to free her father. And assuming she could get everybody to chip in (except Belkar, as I don't think he would), then that's less than 1/4 share from the remaining 5 to come to 200k GP. Though I'll admit I don't think it will be necessary (sons influencing father, dowry possibly, etc, hint hint).

Anyways, not bad at all.

The Giant
2005-07-20, 02:32 PM
What's with the tendancy to call people only by their first initial? "V" has been around a long time (and is honestly easier to type IMO), now we have "D". Are R, B, E, and H much further behind? How about N, T, and S? (Actually quite strange there's no overlap the characters until you get to Hilgya and Redcloak.)

It's mostly a Haley thing; I'm pretty sure she coined "V".

Also, sometimes, you don't have enough room in the speech balloon.

Fanatic-Templar
2005-07-20, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering if Roy will stop in town to get his sword repaired. Nale did say that if they could find the starmetal, it would make them stronger.

Lost_Bugbear
2005-07-20, 02:44 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster - really enjoying the strip, even though I gave up D&D many years ago...

Just curious - and maybe this is the wrong thread to post in as it may start speculation - but I was intrigued by Haley's "other bills that need paying" comment in #205...felt very Han Soloish to me. I'll be curious to find out what those bills are...

Nightmarenny
2005-07-20, 02:47 PM
Have you read every strip?

Lost_Bugbear
2005-07-20, 02:49 PM
Have you read every strip?

I have...have I forgotten something and made myself look like a complete n00b in my first post?

Edit: Yes I have...thanks for the pointers, guys. :-[

WojtekPod
2005-07-20, 02:51 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster - really enjoying the strip, even though I gave up D&D many years ago...

Just curious - and maybe this is the wrong thread to post in as it may start speculation - but I was intrigued by Haley's "other bills that need paying" comment in #205...felt very Han Soloish to me. I'll be curious to find out what those bills are...

The answer can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=131).

WojtekPod

Cheiromancer
2005-07-20, 02:54 PM
Now why in the world are they going off to the Southern Lands?

Surely the authority of Lord Shojo doesn't extend that far from Azure City. The OotS should have politely told Miko that she does not have jurisdiction in that area, and, being a lawful paladin, she would have to go home.

That's my theory, anyway.

Nightmarenny
2005-07-20, 02:57 PM
Ow you Pixies..... ;D

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-20, 02:59 PM
Surely the authority of Lord Shojo doesn't extend that far from Azure City. The OotS should have politely told Miko that she does not have jurisdiction in that area, and, being a lawful paladin, she would have to go home.
I think a paladin has jurisdiction anywhere she can kick your butt.

wolf_mage
2005-07-20, 03:02 PM
I didn't get today's comic... does "free trip" have some second meaning I'm not aware of?

Sundog
2005-07-20, 03:04 PM
Anyway, a crime like "damaging the fabric of the universe" would kind of extend jurisdiction...

I like the fact that Haley broke the Fourth Wall again. Knowing that Bards can't be lawful..

Nightmarenny
2005-07-20, 03:06 PM
I didn't get today's comic... does "free trip" have some second meaning I'm not aware of?
It meant he didn't need a third chance that she already was taken when he had mentioned that Miko had to pay for all her stuff.

zonker1984
2005-07-20, 03:15 PM
I love how everyone except Elan knows that Haley has the hots for him.

silvadel
2005-07-20, 03:18 PM
She certainly wont do it but if she had shown the paladin the note, the whole party might be making a detour to save her father -- AND she would get as much a share of the treasure as she needed enforced at swordpoint.

Midnight Son
2005-07-20, 03:28 PM
She certainly wont do it but if she had shown the paladin the note, the whole party might be making a detour to save her father -- AND she would get as much a share of the treasure as she needed enforced at swordpoint.

No they wouldn't. He's in jail for being a theif. A paladin would not lift a finger to help him.

yrro
2005-07-20, 03:33 PM
Free trip doesn't have any extra connotations that I'm aware of . It's a simple fact that Haley can't turn down free stuff, no matter how hard she tries. I definitely know rogues like that;-) And a few out of character non-rogues, too :(

SirAnon
2005-07-20, 03:34 PM
Actualy being imprisoned for crimes against the government a lawful paladin would probably ignore his plight in order to accomplish the more pressing matter of her own duty, and only after all her responsibilities had been seen to would she then concider doing a sidequest to bail out someone.

edit: beat me to the punch, but stil in my experience paladins are all about obeying the laws first, caring about people second.

yrro
2005-07-20, 03:39 PM
By the way, does anyone else doubt Haley's ability to get Elan to come with her?

I mean, I know I'd desert my friends for my girl if pressed, but Elan doesn't even really know that Haley likes him yet, and he has almost a hero-worship level to his friendship with Roy. I'm not so sure he'd abandon him. His lack of lawfulness doesn't matter so much as his sense of duty to his friends.

Gary_Schaper
2005-07-20, 03:41 PM
His lack of lawfulness doesn't matter so much as his sense of duty to his friends.
Counterbalanced, in this case, by Haley's ability to bluff and Elan's terrible ability to sense motive.

Jevanyn
2005-07-20, 03:42 PM
[snip]

That's my theory, anyway.

Good theory, but paladins derive their authority through divine law, so their jurisdiction is pretty much the whole world, and a few other planes besides.

It would make for an interesting argument between Miko and Mr. MBA, and have the same effect on the rest of the party as one of V's sleep spells. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=10)

Rhuna_Coppermane
2005-07-20, 03:55 PM
Just read today's strip. Hooray for high wisdom scores! I love Durkon.

AtomicKitKat
2005-07-20, 04:05 PM
I found it funny that Giant found the time to give a nod to our Gaming forum(thread titled "Why does everybody rag on Lawful req classes" or something like that) with regards to Bards and Law.

Eriol
2005-07-20, 04:11 PM
It's mostly a Haley thing; I'm pretty sure she coined "V".
I hate to correct you on your own strip, but way back in #3 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3), Belkar...
;D

Also, sometimes, you don't have enough room in the speech balloon.
I have no doubt this is true though. Thanks for responding. =)

Poeir
2005-07-20, 04:36 PM
But we didn't join the party until after they'd been adventuring together for a while. It's entirely possible that Haley was the first to call Vaarsuvius V and it was already in regular use by comic #3.

Also, with respect to the paladin not having jurisdiction, it seems like Miko's jurisdiction encompasses "reality," which the Order of the Stick is still in as far as they are concerned.

Midnight Son
2005-07-20, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry; Free trip vs spending 1000 gp and taking half of Durkon's loot? Considering the amount of the loot, if I'm a rogue this is no contest.

Sylvius
2005-07-20, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry; Free trip vs spending 1000 gp and taking half of Durkon's loot? Considering the amount of the loot, if I'm a rogue this is no contest.

She isn't surrendering all future claim to Durkon's (or anyone else's) loot. She may well get another chance to swindle them.

The choice is, pay for the trip yourself, or let the Paladin pay for it for you. Haley will always take the free stuff.

Sylvius
2005-07-20, 04:46 PM
Oh, and while I'm sure that the Paladin wouldn't lift a finger to free Haley's father, I'm also sure that both Elan and Roy would be happy to help, plus Belkar would probably agree just for the chance to stab prison guards.

OotS sticks together (no pun intended).

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-07-20, 06:05 PM
He's good, I'll give him that...Haley just didn't have the willpower to resist. Although with all that treasue visible on the carts, I'd be surprised if they aren't attacked along the way...

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

Kish
2005-07-20, 06:31 PM
No they wouldn't. He's in jail for being a theif. A paladin would not lift a finger to help him.
To rescue someone imprisoned for unspecified "crimes against the government" of someone named Lord Tyrinar the Bloody? Yes, one would.

edit: beat me to the punch, but stil in my experience paladins are all about obeying the laws first, caring about people second.

Sigh. Then you've only seen badly played paladins, who, by the letter of the rules (irony is fun), should have Fallen.

Midnight Son
2005-07-20, 06:55 PM
Okay. My bad. I thought the note said he was imprisoned for being a theif. Just read it again. A paladin would at least attempt to find out what crimes and, if none exist, free him.

Woolysock
2005-07-20, 07:20 PM
Hehe, I love it.

"The order of the stick, as fearlessly led by Roy's pants." - Hilarious.

Good job yet again.

Maybe they can be temporarily referred to as
The Order of Roy's Stick

Shorty_the_Kobold
2005-07-20, 07:50 PM
Maybe they can be temporarily referred to as
The Order of Roy's Stick
:-X blecch......pervert!