PDA

View Full Version : Left handers in the play ground

EvilElitest
2008-01-01, 05:38 PM
High everyone, as a lefty myself, i've always wondered how many people are left handed (1 out of 9 Americans i think) and who in these boards are. this is also a thread for lefties to complains about the injustices they suffer by being left handed and the cool things about it
Happy new year
My three annoyances
1. It is impossible to play phantom hourglass as a lefty
2. Every guitar in my school is for righty people
3. Link in twilight princess is a right hander for the Wii, he is left handed damnit:smallfurious:

Come here to talk about being a lefty and have a good time
from
EE

AslanCross
2008-01-01, 05:51 PM
I'm a southpaw too. My left handedness kept me from learning the guitar for the same reasons. It sucks too, because a lot of people know how to play the guitar and girls usually find it attractive. :P

Strangely enough I've gotten used to using the mouse for my right hand, so I don't have any big problems playing games. I don't own a Wii, but the few Wii games that I've played can be configured for left-handers, so no problems with that.

EvilElitest
2008-01-01, 06:00 PM
I'm a southpaw too. My left handedness kept me from learning the guitar for the same reasons. It sucks too, because a lot of people know how to play the guitar and girls usually find it attractive. :P

Strangely enough I've gotten used to using the mouse for my right hand, so I don't have any big problems playing games. I don't own a Wii, but the few Wii games that I've played can be configured for left-handers, so no problems with that.

I'm just learning Guitar backwards, now i can't play a lefty :smallmad:

I've never used a left handed mouse in my life, strange that.

The wii varies from game to game, twilight princess make link a righty :smallfurious:
from
EE

Dragonrider
2008-01-01, 06:57 PM
Lefty here! :smallbiggrin:

I use mice (mouses?) in my left hand whether or not they're shaped for the right. Just the way I is. :smallwink:

My pet peeve, though, is scissors. :smallyuk: The ones that are shaped for righties. *shakes fist*

EvilElitest
2008-01-01, 07:05 PM
Lefty here! :smallbiggrin:

I use mice (mouses?) in my left hand whether or not they're shaped for the right. Just the way I is. :smallwink:

My pet peeve, though, is scissors. :smallyuk: The ones that are shaped for righties. *shakes fist*

Wow, the left handed mouse is impressive, i can never do that

As for scissors i've never really used them in my left hand, but another lefty i know stabbed himself in the leg with right handed scissors by mistake. :smallyuk:
from
EE

Harlequin
2008-01-01, 07:18 PM
I'm a lefty. Play guitar right-handed, though. But pretty much everything else I do southpaw.

*lefty high fives all around*

MattKatt
2008-01-01, 07:30 PM
Iv never really found my left-handedness to be a crutch. The only problem Iv had in my life is from people making fun of me being cach-handed

Midnight Son
2008-01-01, 07:52 PM
Ambidextrous here. (Does that count?)

All I will say is that my Kindergarten teachers were very annoyed by me. See, I really thought it was cool to be able to use the scissors with the green handles. So, when she would pass them out, I'd say I was a lefty. She'd walk by a few minutes later and I'd be using my right hand, so she'd make me use the normal scissors. A few minutes later, she'd catch me cutting with my left and and switch it all over again.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-01-01, 07:56 PM
What sinistral plots are going on in this thread? ((Extra points for getting that one:smalltongue: ))

MattKatt
2008-01-01, 07:57 PM
What sinistral plots are going on in this thread? ((Extra points for getting that one:smalltongue: ))

Ouch. Bad latin pun there, Mort

Vondre
2008-01-01, 07:57 PM
I'm definitely left-handed, but I always catch and use a mouse with my right. Wiriting and drawing are still lefty, though.

My friends have often told me that I'm "broken." I'm left-handed and colorblind. Whee! :smalltongue:

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-01, 08:21 PM
I'm right-handed, but I do quite a few things like I'm left-handed. For the longest time I wore my watches on my right wrist, but for some reason I started wearing them on my left wrist once I changed from a digital watch to an analogue one. I play pool left-handed (I hold the bottom of the cue in my left hand and guide it with my right), and I cannot brush my teeth with my right hand :smallconfused: Whenever I try brushing my teeth in my right hand it's just awkward, and I can't get a good rhythm going. Can't think of anything else right now, but I do other things like a leftie, since I've had people comment before.

Dragonrider
2008-01-01, 08:28 PM
I'm the only lefty in my family. There is only one other in my extended family (of over 30 members)
...I tried SO HARD to get my youngest brother to use his left hand, but no dice. I guess I'm just unique. (or..."broken".)

mockingbyrd7
2008-01-01, 08:39 PM
I write with my left, and do most other things with my right. I'm situationally ambidextrous.

Generally, left hand is good for finesse and fine motor skills while my right hand is better for power and general uses. I throw a ball better with my right hand, but I wield a foil better in my left. I can't throw a powerful punch with my left fist and I can't hold a pencil in my right.

Oh, and I can brush my teeth with either hand. :smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2008-01-01, 08:49 PM
I'm left-handed. I use my right hand for... um, I don't know. I'm sure I use it for something, though.

SDF
2008-01-01, 08:52 PM
I'm ambi, but mostly from practice. I started out doing most things left handed (writing, eating) I play right handed guitar, and can even write right handed now (stupid spiral binding bothered me when I did it left handed, so I switched) My bowling average is ten points higher with my left hand... :P

Balkash
2008-01-01, 09:15 PM
I'm left handed. I do most things right handed. What I dont do right handed is catch, throw, bowl, punch, write, and play basketball. As well, I wear a watch on each wrist. I never understood which wrist to wear a watch on. So now I just wear two watches. No one ever seems to be able to come to terms with that.

de-trick
2008-01-01, 09:21 PM
Lefty but really I'm used to changing my hands around for left to right. My pet peeve is how when I write on paper the lead from the pencil smears on my hand grrr:smallfurious:

Mr. Moon
2008-01-01, 10:07 PM
I'm a lefty, but that's 'cause I'm special! My right thumb, dubbed my "useless stick" by my freinds, is more of a fifth finger, since the muscle that makes it a thumb didn't come with this package. The guys at the assembly line must've made a mistake. :smalltongue: It's annoying, since I can't pick much up with my right hand, or do dexterious work with it. It is, however, a very useful conversation starter. "Hi, I'm Moon Called. I'm a disfigured freak. Would you like to see my useless stick?" :smallbiggrin:

My biggest pet peave is can openers. I have to whine at someone to open canned food for me, since every righty can opener I use forces me to mangle the can to get it open. :smallsigh:

Serpentine
2008-01-01, 10:08 PM
I'm sinister :sabine:

My sister bought me a calligraphy set and I've realised that I'll only really be able to do calligraphy backwards or with my hand twisted right around :smallsigh:

Tengu
2008-01-01, 10:08 PM
I'm a lefty. I consider being that more interesting than normal, right-handed people - many great performers, scientists and thinkers in the history were left-handed. There are only two things I prefer to use my right hand for - the first one is using the computer mouse, and the second one is rude and I won't describe it here.

ForzaFiori
2008-01-01, 10:46 PM
I'm left handed! go us!
me and my sister are both left handed, and were the only left handed people in my family as far as i know...

I use my right hand for alot of things though, and can do almost anything ambidextrous. still can't play baseball or write though. pretty much anything else is either hand, and i have to use my right hand on a mouse. Oh, and my guitar is right handed because the left handed cost too much. I've pretty much done the same thing i did with dyslexia and ADHD. i just got made myself get over it. (its amazing what the human mind can do when your not trying to make it do something)

Pyro
2008-01-01, 11:03 PM
If you have trouble with guitars, then why not go the Jimi Hendrix route and turn it upside down and restring it correctly.

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-01, 11:07 PM
Im a clerk at a guitarshop and a proud lefty(ambidextrous actually, left is easier) certain places offer that service of restringing a guitar, ive been playing that way for 3+ years

Setra
2008-01-01, 11:14 PM
I'm ambidextrous.

While normally I might use my right arm a bit more often my left is almost as good.

Though my left arm is a bit stronger...

Incidentally since something went wrong with my right shoulder I am glad to be able to do everything with either hand/arm.

Trog
2008-01-02, 12:28 AM
*raises left hand*

Trog's character sheet says Trog's a rightie but Trog is really left handed. It also lies about Trog's eye color.

*heads to the kitchen to pilfer Mt. Dew*

Jagg
2008-01-02, 12:33 AM
Apparently my top half is not connected to my bottom half. I'm righthanded - mostly, but dominatingly left footed. Most people from my experience are right handed/footed. I'm the only one I've ever met who was disconnected.

There is however a reason for this. At the age of 4 I ran into a moving car and my right foot went under the wheel. (you can't tell I don't limp or anything and my right foot is perfectly normal) From that day forth I've been dominant left footed. Always lead with my left foot on any intensive foot orientated activity like..

kicking a football
dancing
long jump/hurdles

ForzaFiori
2008-01-02, 12:50 AM
Apparently my top half is not connected to my bottom half. I'm righthanded - mostly, but dominatingly left footed. Most people from my experience are right handed/footed. I'm the only one I've ever met who was disconnected.

There is however a reason for this. At the age of 4 I ran into a moving car and my right foot went under the wheel. (you can't tell I don't limp or anything and my right foot is perfectly normal) From that day forth I've been dominant left footed. Always lead with my left foot on any intensive foot orientated activity like..

kicking a football
dancing
long jump/hurdles

i'm like that, but opposite.
i'm left handed but right footed.

Green Bean
2008-01-02, 05:04 AM
Another lefty in the Playground right here! Remember, folks; if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, then only left-handed people are in their right minds! :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2008-01-02, 05:17 AM
I'm a lefty. Scissors annoy me particularly, but my real pet hate is writing with pens! I smudge basically everything that gets down on the paper, or if not that, then I get ink all over my hands. Which is a pity, as I have very pretty handwriting. :smallsigh:

For the record, I use a right-handed mouse in my right and, but that's about it for doing things right-handed.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-02, 06:06 AM
3. Link in twilight princess is a right hander for the Wii, he is left handed damnit:smallfurious:

for the record in the GC version link is a leftie but for the wii they flipped the whole world and didn't bother to swap Link back...

don't ask my WHY they did that, they just did!

oh and i'm a Righty you spawn of the Devil :smallwink:

Note: i don't actually mean the whole spawn of the devil remark it's just what people in Ye Olde Days thought of lefties, they used to beat them till they used their right hand

Narmoth
2008-01-02, 06:21 AM
Well, there's no need to complain about the guitars:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/Jimi_Hendrix_on_stage_fender_stratocaster.jpg

http://www.rickyfurlani.com/UserFiles/iommi.jpg
http://www.thecanteen.com/cavernbass02.jpg

So, there you go

Exeson
2008-01-02, 07:10 AM
I'm a lefty but the only reason why is because thats what I was tought to write with. I do virtually everything else right handed, play sports, use a mouse, play instruments etc.

T'ze'hai
2008-01-02, 07:19 AM
I'm amby. I write normal with right, and mirror write with left (so no problems with smudging the inkt there), Like Leonardo da Vinci did...
Riding a bike with one hand: better with left, possible with right.
Same with steering a car.
Telephone: both hands.
Brush my teeth or hair: right
Use a mouse: both, but usually right

No pet peeves. I do what's most handy :smalltongue:

Moxie
2008-01-02, 07:41 AM
I wanted to start a Lefty Group to combat the Right Supremacists in school. It scared poor ol' righty and was shut down. Down with Righty!

I'm a south paw in most respects. Eat and write with it, but it would be too much of a bother to change the entire mouse settings and rearranges desks every time I sat down, so I use the right. Although, on a laptop, I catch myself switching hands all the time.

YPU
2008-01-02, 08:29 AM
i'm left definitely. I catch with right but that’s because of baseball and I use the mouse in my right hand, because I prefer to use my left hand on the keys while gaming. But when It comes to typing I can switch around and cross over my hands and hardly type any worse.

Groundhog
2008-01-02, 12:40 PM
I'm ambidextrous, and not by training or anything. I discovered it when my friends and I decided to see whose non-dominant handwriting was the best and when I wrote with my left hand, it was almost identical to my regular writing.:smallbiggrin: It kind of explained why I asked my mom if I was a righty or a lefty when I was little. I'm still going to use my right hand for most things though, because guess what, most things are designed for righties. Sad.

Morrandir
2008-01-02, 04:30 PM
Southpaw.

Only one in my family as well. Thanksgiving sure is fun.

Winter_Wolf
2008-01-02, 04:48 PM
There are times I really wish I was left handed. Like just about whenever my wife sits next to me instead of across from (group meals, for example). I'm right handed, and she insists on sitting on my right side, real close. I wouldn't mind in other situations, but it's real hard to get the food up to my mouth when my arm is pinned to my right side. This may be part of the reason that I can actually properly use chopsticks in my left hand. Still prefer to use my regular handedness, but when there's food at stake, you have to do what you have to do.

EvilElitest
2008-01-02, 09:15 PM

witch trials? Rumors of the worship of Satan being involved in left handyness (new word)? What is it?

If you have trouble with guitars, then why not go the Jimi Hendrix route and turn it upside down and restring it correctly.
Two problems
1. Not my guitar
2. I've already learned, i then have to re learn it all over again, it boggles my mind

from
EE

SpiderKoopa
2008-01-02, 09:51 PM
Left handed for the win!
Double-jointed (I can twist my hand all the way around) left handed for even more win! :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2008-01-02, 09:53 PM
Southpaw.

Only one in my family as well. Thanksgiving sure is fun.

:smallamused: for Thanksgiving, we had some friends over, and my mom forgot to put me on the end - so I was next to someone else. Thank goodness it turned out she was a lefty too!

Well, for Christmas, I knew everyone else was right-handed so I made sure I set the table and put myself at the end.

Serpentine
2008-01-02, 10:01 PM
Hmmm. I learned guitar for a bit in year 7. It was mum's guitar, so it certainly wasn't restringed, and I don't think I played it right-handed. I learned upside-down, then? :smallconfused:
(Fun... anecdote: My lessons were at school, so I took this guitar with me. Once, when I was heading to it, a musically-minded teacher stopped me, gave me a funny look and said "Uh... are you sure you're allowed to have that here?" Turns out this particular guitar is worth rather a lot of money. As in... Well, my memory is horrible, but I know it was more than a few hundred dollars and I think more than $1000. It was a wedding present, so mum didn't know and never tried to find out :smallbiggrin: She still didn't mind me taking it up, though, she just told me to be more careful with it)

EvilElitest
2008-01-02, 10:03 PM
Left handed for the win!
Double-jointed (I can twist my hand all the way around) left handed for even more win! :smallbiggrin:

Damnit, i don't have that much win
from
EE

SpiderKoopa
2008-01-02, 10:57 PM
:smalleek:
I just realized I'm the only left-hander in my family as far back as I can trace it.

hobbes543
2008-01-03, 12:06 AM

kicking a football
dancing
long jump/hurdles

Actually this is fairly normal... You lead with your left foot, kicking with your right. As a righty myself, when I snowboard, my left foot is normally the leading foot unless I am riding switch. And snowboards that are configured for right foot leading are called goofy as opposed to regular which is left foot first.

Shadic
2008-01-03, 01:54 PM
I'm left handed here. I do some stuff with my right though, just because the damned tools are more or less made for it. (I'm looking at you, scissors.)

I also kick/jump with my right foot, which is odd.

SDF
2008-01-03, 02:10 PM
Well, there's no need to complain about the guitars:
http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/Jimi_Hendrix_on_stage_fender_stratocaster.jpg

http://www.rickyfurlani.com/UserFiles/iommi.jpg
http://www.thecanteen.com/cavernbass02.jpg

So, there you go

Of course there is! Why should I have to pay $100+ to play the exact same thing. >:(

Actually, I like fretting with my left hand anyhow. Thought about getting a lefty strat, then realized it would just be a waste of time. :P

Dragonrider
2008-01-04, 12:11 AM
I'm left handed here. I do some stuff with my right though, just because the damned tools are more or less made for it. (I'm looking at you, scissors.)

I also kick/jump with my right foot, which is odd.

I'm ambidextrous-footed. :smallbiggrin: I can jump rope with either foot forward. I think it's a direct result of years of karate training, in which we're taught to favor neither side.

MattKatt
2008-01-04, 12:29 PM
Im predominant left in everything i do. I even hold my right handed mouse in my left hand

EvilElitest
2008-01-04, 07:24 PM
I'm ambidextrous-footed. :smallbiggrin: I can jump rope with either foot forward. I think it's a direct result of years of karate training, in which we're taught to favor neither side.

I should learn that, i always lean to the left
from
EE

hippie_dwarf
2008-01-06, 08:52 AM
I wanted to start a Lefty Group to combat the Right Supremacists in school. It scared poor ol' righty and was shut down. Down with Righty!

*high five* (with the left hand, of couse). I've been wanting to do that but I don't think there are many fanatical lefties in my school :smallfrown:. I have endless problems with pen/pencils smudging when i write but my hand writing is sooooo bad i think it gives me an excuse :smalltongue: .

On a side note, I have no idea where the following fact came from, whether it's true or somebody made it up just to give left handed people some ammo, but it's been floating around my head for years. 1,200 left handed people die every year from using right handed products. It's probably not true at all but it give us something to moan about. Also, 12 people die every year from vending machines falling on them :smalltongue:

Gorbash
2008-01-06, 09:14 AM
I'm a lefty. Scissors annoy me particularly, but my real pet hate is writing with pens! I smudge basically everything that gets down on the paper, or if not that, then I get ink all over my hands. Which is a pity, as I have very pretty handwriting. :smallsigh:

For the record, I use a right-handed mouse in my right and, but that's about it for doing things right-handed.

Heh, I totally understand you... When I started learning to hold a pen, I devised my own way of holding it in order to avoid making smudges while I write/draw (unintentionally, of course, I was like 5 years old) which resulted in a very weird hand position while I write... I might even take a picture, but my camera is out of batteries... When people see me write for the first time, they think I'm joking... And call me a weirdo, etc :P

Oh and since I use my mouse with my left hand, I really really hate right handed mouses... Can't use them...

And I play violin too, but I hold it like everyone does, and that makes me better I think, since I press all the strings with my left hand (which is the dominant one)...

Overall, I like being a sinistral...

Goblin Music
2008-01-06, 10:47 AM
i am left handed
i use my left hand mostly
i play the guitar using my left hand to press down the strings and i use computer mice with my left hand.

Also i have played and finished the Phantom Hourglass. In the earlier Link games Link was ambidextrous, he always kept his shield towards Death mountain (i think that is what the mountain was called).

dish
2008-01-06, 11:35 AM
I'm right-handed. (Please don't stab me for being in your thread. :smalleek: )
I would like to tell you a story about my boyfriend.

He's left-handed. And Chinese. China can, at times, be a very conformist society. As a child he was placed under extreme pressure to use his right hand.

This has resulted in a rather strange mix. He's learnt to write perfectly well with his right-hand, and can even produce some reasonable brush calligraphy. But he's never mastered the use of chopsticks in his right-hand, and has thus spent twenty-something years eating with a spoon rather than admit to society in general that he's left-handed.

SilentNight
2008-01-06, 11:46 AM
I was ambidexterous at a young age but now I am Left-dominant. I.E. I can do new things with either hand but i mostly use my left.