PDA

View Full Version : What Universe would you rather live in?

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-01-01, 08:07 PM
This spawned one day while eating at a Local Taco-Bell. If you could live in any of the following worlds, which and why?

1. The Halo Universe
2. The Star Wars Universe
3. The Mass Effect Universe
4. The EVE Universe
5. The 40K Universe
6. The Star Craft Universe
7. The Star Trek Universe
8. The Half-life universe

So let the Debate. . . BEGIN!

JMobius
2008-01-01, 08:55 PM
Whichever one has the greatest quality of life and lowest odds of being randomly killed by some invading force or other for the average citizen.

Oeep Snaec
2008-01-01, 09:48 PM
You aught to include the Warhammer 40k universe. Why someone would live in that one I don't know, but having it there is a decent idea, adds another option.

Keris
2008-01-01, 10:26 PM
To voice an actual answer to the OP, I'd rather live in the Mass Effect Universe. Star Wars seems a bit Cyberpunk to me, the Halo Universe is under threat from the Covenant and Flood, and I know nothing of the EVE universe. Of course, I haven't finished Mass Effect, so there's probably a downside to that too.

someonenonotyou
2008-01-01, 10:51 PM
star wars defintly light sabers the force and a chance to kill jar-jar in halo i would probley be killed by Covenant and Flood or some loser with no life with an energy sword umm EVE andMass effect i don't know never played

ForzaFiori
2008-01-01, 11:48 PM
star wars.

in halo, pretty much every planet has war going on between human and convenent.

no idea about EVE or Masseffect.

Setra
2008-01-01, 11:59 PM
Whichever one has the greatest quality of life and lowest odds of being randomly killed by some invading force or other for the average citizen.
This one.. I think that'd be Star Wars but I am not sure.

JMobius
2008-01-02, 12:40 AM
To voice an actual answer to the OP...

I think my answer is perfectly legitimate. :P

But to actually break it down:
* Halo, at the time of the setting, has far too much war and strife going on to feel safe as a human.
* Star Wars is a possibility, though it depends on the era.
* Mass Effect is another possibility, though it depends upon the region that one lives in. The Verge? Not so much.
* I played EVE for two years, read all the chronicles, and pretty much nothing was said about the life of the vast majority of the population. Everything was about the capsulers.
* WH40k... no, just no. Its a damned dystopian setting. :P

An important factor that people should not overlook is the fact that transposed to another universe, you in all likelyhood aren't going to be that special. You probably won't be force sensitive, eligible to be pod pilot or an elite super soldier. Consequently, the life the average joe should be a far more dominate variable than whatever 'cool' factors might exist in the setting.

Unless of course we're also ruling that you can be anyone you want, which changes the nature of the problem considerably. A bit more silly too. :P

Icewalker
2008-01-02, 01:15 AM
I don't know the EVE or the Mass Effect universe at all. But between Star Wars and Halo...Halo is, as said by most so far, far too war-torn to be a safe living dimension. Star Wars seems like it could be quite good.

As long as you aren't an independent contractor. You would be forced (or just hired) by the empire into building the new Death Star...only to be killed by those 'heroes'.

13_CBS
2008-01-02, 01:54 AM
I would live in...

1) Star Wars in a Core planet (Chandrila, Coruscant, Corellia), upper class, way before the Clone Wars or after the Rebels fully secure the galaxy but before the Yuuzahn Vong.

2) Don't know about the rest, though Mass Effect's sounds nice.

3) A BIG NO for Halo, for obvious reasons.

factotum
2008-01-02, 03:15 AM
The Rebels hadn't actually fully secured the galaxy by the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, had they? There were still Imperial Remnants in the Deep Core at that point.

As for my choice, it would be Star Wars, somewhere out on the Rim where the Empire's dictates don't hold as strongly as in the Core. Oh, and I definitely would NOT want to be Force sensitive, since people who are force sensitive tend to get killed...a lot. :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2008-01-02, 05:45 AM
I iz Protoss!

*Mind control*

on a slightly more serouus note i'd take the X universe... specifically X3 : the return...

i want my starburst, or a Kaakh M3.

Athaniar
2008-01-02, 05:56 AM
Naboo would be nice to live on, if it's not occupied by the enemy.

Penguinizer
2008-01-02, 06:14 AM
Hmm, hard choice for me...

I actually had somewhat of an idea of an answer. But it escapes me at the moment.

Maybe Cowboy Bebop.

Logic
2008-01-02, 07:54 AM
The Rebels hadn't actually fully secured the galaxy by the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, had they? There were still Imperial Remnants in the Deep Core at that point.

As for my choice, it would be Star Wars, somewhere out on the Rim where the Empire's dictates don't hold as strongly as in the Core. Oh, and I definitely would NOT want to be Force sensitive, since people who are force sensitive tend to get killed...a lot. :smallwink:You are forgetting that a truce was signed between the New Republic the Imperial Remnant eventually, And it is a decent amount of time before the Vong invasion.

My vote goes to Halo, after the events of 3, Star Wars after that, and I do not have enough information to place the others in any order, except I know that 40K would be dead last.

Besides, I would rather live in the Star Trek universe most of all, despite the fact the Federation is communist. :smallwink:

factotum
2008-01-02, 08:58 AM
on a slightly more serouus note i'd take the X universe... specifically X3 : the return...

You mean X3: Reunion...there's no such game as "The Return" :smallbiggrin: . And I'd probably have picked that one if it had been one of the ones on offer, but it wasn't!

Triaxx
2008-01-02, 09:17 AM
*wonders why Falloutverse isn't up there*

EVE. I want a chance to fly a titan around and kill people.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-02, 09:56 AM
You mean X3: Reunion...there's no such game as "The Return" :smallbiggrin: . And I'd probably have picked that one if it had been one of the ones on offer, but it wasn't!

Doh!
why does my brain keep thining of "the return"
actually i know why...

X : Beyond the frontier
X-tention
X2 : The Threat
Cancelled X2 extention which was to be called "the return"
X3 : Reunion

*has Idea*

factotum
2008-01-02, 01:37 PM
*wonders why Falloutverse isn't up there*

You WANT to live in an irradiated wasteland? :smallconfused:

Crispy Dave
2008-01-02, 01:49 PM
well just beat mass effect 10 minuts ago and i defently dont want to live there with the current info I have on it

Star wars would be tooo risky becaus ei might get hit by some random ship debry falling out of the sky or get caught in some random jedi battle

Halo yes because if youve platyed through halo 3 youed know exactly why

Warrhammer 40k defently no because everone just seems to die

I dont know anything about eve

SurlySeraph
2008-01-02, 01:59 PM
Put me down for WH40K! The core worlds are actually extremely nice to live on, prosperous, and very safe. There's excellent job security, and you probably won't lose your motivation to work (and motivation is pretty much the only problem I have - I actually love to work for long hours, when I believe in what I'm doing) what with the Inquisition around and your personal zealousness. You KNOW for sure that your actions make a difference and benefit humanity, however tiny your influence is. When you die, as long as you were faithful you probably get assimilated with the Emperor. That's pretty good as afterlives go, and in most SF universes you don't get an afterlife.

Of course, if you live on a fringe world, you're pretty much screwed. But if you're one of the trillions of people in the Sol system, you're in for a great life.

Jibar
2008-01-02, 02:45 PM
Mass Effect, it seems to be the universe where people die the least and I like the Quarians. They're nifty.
Of course, I'd much rather be in Kingdom Hearts so I could finally hook up with Ariel. Or Belle. Or Jasmine. Or... ya know what, any of the Disney Princesses. I'm good.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-01-02, 07:34 PM
I would rather live in the Mass Effect universe, where things aren't to big or too dangerous. There aren't many "Haha, I can do this and you can't!" moments, besides biotic controllers. The technology is believable and you don't have to spend your life or be an ace to use them. Theres a army service so you can just join that if you want to fight.

Also there are droids and AI (Geth) so its good there too.

Destro_Yersul
2008-01-02, 08:42 PM
Star Wars or Mass Effect.

In star wars I would collect droids and have them follow me around. Probably live on... oh, say Corellia. Corellia's nice.

Mass Effect I'd live, maybe in one of the citadel wards.

Gungnir
2008-01-02, 10:21 PM
Anything but Halo.

I may love it, but I'll be damned if it's not a horrible place to live in. There's probably like a 1/10 chance that you're the only surviving member of your family. Not to mention that it's pretty much guaranteed that one or more of your close friends/relatives have been eaten/assimilated by one or more alien species.

doliest
2008-01-02, 10:25 PM
Worlds I would live in-
Star wars-Why?- Because I know enough to avoid a problem area but not enough to get bored. That means I can get a nice out of the way job making droids.
Star Trek-Why?-I know enough to avoid problems & it is a nice idealic future.

Nibleswick
2008-01-03, 02:50 AM
I would go for Star Wars, some little planet like Aldivy, nothing happens on Aldivy.

Cybren
2008-01-03, 03:07 AM
1. The Halo Universe
By the end of the third game there's less than one, 70 million humans? No thanks. I probably wouldn't be living

2. The Star Wars Universe
]Interesting. Possible choice if I can avoid the massive civil war, world crushing super weapons, and such
3. The Mass Effect Universe
This ones interesting. Now, I would certainly not live on the Citadel, first, because it would be a horrible idea to begin with, seeing as how it is a giant space deathtrap, and secondly because it happens to be the gateway to the place were the world-destroyers live. Maybe if I could live on earth, but with two more games coming it's likely earth will be blowed up

4. The EVE Universe
Hmm that's a tough one. Work on a space ship or station and probably get blown up... or become captain of a ship and live perpetually in a bubble submersed in liquid. At least that's what I got the perception of, anyway.
ANYWAYS, no, I'm not fond of corporate feudalism.
5. The 40K Universe
No. No no no no no no
6. The Star Craft Universe
Ahahahhahah. Seeing as the sequel is in development, there's at least one giant ass war on the way. Seeing as how the last one turned out, I don't intend on being present for it. (Well, i sure will play it)
7. The Star Trek Universe

Possibly. It is certainly the least horrendous option when it comes to not dying. I would avoid transporters though. I don't like the idea of being killed and replaced by an exact duplicate that happens to have my memories.

Dhavaer
2008-01-03, 03:14 AM
Star Wars. Even during the reign of the Emperor, you're not really any more likely to get killed than in our world.

Cubey
2008-01-03, 05:57 AM
Halo - you have a ghost of a chance to survive. No, thank you.
Star Wars - most of the galaxy is surprisingly peaceful. It was said that even during the Empire's reign there were planets whose inhabitants didn't even see a stormtrooper.
Mass Effect - I did not play the game so I will not comment.
EVE - the lore mentions that life is pretty crappy for non-pod pilots. And being a pod pilot is... boring! EVE online felt like a very pretty screensaver. I will pass on this one.
40k - you gotta be kiding me. As a side note: yes, there are planets that didn't see an Imperium official for so long that they have to be re-conquered. But unlike Star Wars, that doesn't mean the planets are peaceful, they have a crapload of their own problems. Orks being the least of them.
Star Craft - 40k lite meets Aliens. I think I'll pass.
Star Trek - a communist utopia. Life is peaceful and easy, unless you run into some kind of cosmic horror or aggressive aliens. I'd probably pick this one (although I don't like ST that much), taking a note not to become an ensign on Captain Kirk's ship.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-03, 06:23 AM
Of course, I'd much rather be in Kingdom Hearts so I could finally hook up with Ariel. Or Belle. Or Jasmine. Or... ya know what, any of the Disney Princesses. I'm good.

:smallamused: heh

i should sig that if only to advertise to other playgroungers the sick & twisted reality that you inhabit... :smallwink:

besides the princesses would eat you alive little chocolate chip cat muffin...

and not in a good way! :smalleek:

kpenguin
2008-01-03, 06:25 AM
Of the choices given? Star Trek, hands down!

Its a optimistic Utopian society, with excitement mostly for those who sign up for Starfleet.

Jibar
2008-01-03, 10:05 AM
:smallamused: heh

i should sig that if only to advertise to other playgroungers the sick & twisted reality that you inhabit... :smallwink:

That's the same reality where one of my friends is possessed by Mary Poppins ya know.
You should join me, it's fun.

Archonic Energy
2008-01-03, 10:31 AM
You should join me, it's fun.

it sounds it
*slowly reaches for mobile*
*Dials 999*
Police please, i have someone breaching section 4 of the mental health act of 1983...
*Smiles politely at the muffin...*
erm...

look over there it's the pope.

*runs*

Tweekinator
2008-01-03, 02:10 PM
Definitely Star Trek. Unless I sign up for Starfleet(I won't) I have an excellent chance of living a nice, happy life in the Federation, not knowing want(replicators) and dying peacefully after a content life.

Thinker
2008-01-03, 02:12 PM
Definitely Star Trek. Quality of life is high. Replicaters mean there is no poverty. There is no imminent threat of your homeworld being destroyed because the Federation is strong enough to have their treaties respected.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-01-04, 11:05 PM
Startrek? But, the BORG man! The BORG! They will assimilate you and steal ur brainz!

Ettlesby
2008-01-04, 11:11 PM
Hm, if I have to choose any of those, probably the Star Wars universe...it seems the most peaceful.

But if I get to choose, probably the Mother/EarthBound universe. I mean, even if I have to be an NPC, I still get to whip out witty lines to keep the heroes amused.

Eita
2008-01-04, 11:23 PM
A middle-class or rich person in the Imperium of Man. Specifically, Ultramar. Anywhere in Ultramar besides Prandium.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-04, 11:42 PM
I'd personally choose the Mass Effect Universe. Aside from the upcoming apocalypse that I'm sure some noble heroes will prevent like they always do, it seems pretty peaceful.

In the Star Wars universe, even as cool as it is, it seems to be in a constant state of conflict. There's Empire vs. Rebels, Republic vs. Seperatists, Galactic Alliance vs. Yuuzhan Vong, Galactic Alliance vs. Killiks, Gungans vs. Trade Federation, Hutts vs. Hutts and of course the penultimate conflict of Jedi vs. Sith. If all the Star Wars media out there is any indication, the first thing you should get after you leave college isn't an apartment, or even a job, but a blaster. I'd probably get shot on my first day at work, and that's if I'm lucky. If I'm not lucky, I'm on the wrong end of a lightsaber.

In the Halo Universe, I probably wouldn't last five minutes. I'd most likely be PWNED! and t-bagged by some n00b with an energy sword. And plus I don't like Halo.

I don't know anything about Star Trek apart from the Mr. Spock hand sign and "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!", so I probably wouldn't fit in there.

I don't know anything about EVE, but I find their ads annoying, so that's out.

I don't know anything about 40K, but the armor looks scary. Nooooo thanks!

kirbsys
2008-01-04, 11:59 PM
I'd go for Star Wars and be a Grey Jedi during the Rise of the Empire, and join up with the Rebellion later on.

Now if I couldn't choose to be force sensitive (because lets face it being a non-jedi/sith would kinda be a bummer) then I'd go Halo and be a UNSC Marine.

Cybren
2008-01-05, 12:57 AM
IF we're going pure cool factor, i'd probably pick Mass Effect, since i'd like to live in a universe where you don't have to be a 'chosen one' to compete with others. (Be that in the form of super ultra cybernetic implants, or mystical forces)

Budakiman
2008-01-05, 02:28 AM
I personaly would choose the star trek universe because A. Not as much conflict as the other universi and B. The technology is one of the more advanced out of the given universi

Lamoid
2008-01-05, 02:51 AM
Of the choices given? Star Trek, hands down!

Its a optimistic Utopian society, with excitement mostly for those who sign up for Starfleet.

God help you if your an ensign though. Unless it's only an alien pretending to be God, then you're still screwed. Also Star Trek is nice if your a GOD DANG COMMIE :smalltongue: . Also, Mass Effect Universe forever, I'd just hang out on the citadel all day riding elevators.

If you want utopian universes, how could a galaxy where techno is played everywhere NOT be a utopia?

Telok
2008-01-05, 10:24 AM
Star Trek, because it's safe.

Star Wars is a close second. It's safe if you play it smart. With a decent ship, a couple of driods, and a lot of supplies you can hide in the asteroid field formerly known as Alderran during any dangerous times. Plus it's got some nice tech to play with.

But the Star Trek universe is safest and has replicators to play with. With a good computer, the right programs, and a large enough library you can probably whip out just about anything you need or want. I'd stay away from holodecks though, those things are not safe.

MCerberus
2008-01-05, 11:26 AM
If I'm able to be a capsuler, Eve. Jump clones = immortality, giant space ships, and possibly going rogue if your government cheeses you. Chaotic paradise.

Also, Mass Effect Universe forever, I'd just hang out on the citadel all day riding elevators.

Spoilerz!

All said and done that's a really bad place to be... unless you like getting husked

Lamoid
2008-01-05, 03:33 PM
Did you see any of them in ELEVATORS!? No.

Leliel
2008-01-05, 03:49 PM
I don't know which one I would like to live in, but I do know which one I would like to avoid: WARHAMMER 40K! Let's see, inbetween the crazy zealots who control the Imperium, the xenophobic Eldar, who-knows-how-many cosmic horrors, the overly-smug Tau, and of course, Orks, the way I see it, its a die-or-die-horribly situation. If I got trapped there, I would promply throw my hat in the ring of Tzeentchian Sorcerers, beacuse in that universe, there are far worse things than being the uberpowerful slave of a demon made partially of friggin' HOPE. Don't worry, I'll be a somewhat sympatheitc villain!

That said, Mass Effect seems like a pretty awesome universeto live in, slow elevators being specifically built by the Reavers to annoy organics non-withstanding.

Smeik
2008-01-05, 04:31 PM
Star Trek. just like now, just, you know, better and it is cared for you. :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps Star Wars as a close second, if i want to have mroe adventure in my life.

as it comes to universes that aren't on the list: How about living in Domnaria or other plains of existence from Magic the Gathering?:smallamused:

#Raptor
2008-01-06, 03:11 AM
As what? As a regular 08/15 human? Are you booping crazy, Star Trek of course!

Startrek? But, the BORG man! The BORG! They will assimilate you and steal ur brainz!Yeah, yeah, but I wonder how many people really get assimilated. It'd probably be less than people getting killed by car crashs in our world.
On the other hand, getting assimilated probably also sucks alot more than dying in a car crash.

Still.... Star Trek wins hands down.

Eita
2008-01-06, 03:14 AM
Star Trek. just like now, just, you know, better and it is cared for you. :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps Star Wars as a close second, if i want to have mroe adventure in my life.

as it comes to universes that aren't on the list: How about living in Domnaria or other plains of existence from Magic the Gathering?:smallamused:

M:TG relies on conflict. Odds are the plane you're on will for some reason explode. Or get invaded by Phyrexians. Or have a stupid Planeswalker land on it.

Solo
2008-01-06, 03:32 AM
Forgotten Realms would be nice... I could gestalt as an Aristocrat1/Rogue/19//Wizard20 and tell the laws of physics to sit down and shut up while looking cool doing it.

The Resident Evil universe would be fun to be in, though I would insist on having a typewriter with me at all times.

I mean, have you ever seen zombies in a room with a typewriter in it?

If I got trapped there, I would promply throw my hat in the ring of Tzeentchian Sorcerers, beacuse in that universe, there are far worse things than being the uberpowerful slave of a demon made partially of friggin' HOPE. Don't worry, I'll be a somewhat sympatheitc villain!

Slaaneshians have better parties.

Midnighter1021
2008-01-07, 12:06 AM
star wars definitely, I would probably either live on Naboo (nice peacefull rural planet.) or Coruscant because I cant stop thinking about how awesome the nightlife would be...a planet wide nightclub :smallbiggrin:

then coming in a close second i would probably go with ( even though it's not on the list) the Starship Troopers universe, though I would never join the Mobile Infantry

Timberwolf
2008-01-07, 07:43 AM
Of all those listed, Star Wars.

Of those not listed, the Battletech universe is my kinda place. Make way freeborns ! Khan Wolfie is here !

Doglord
2008-01-07, 11:09 AM
Definately star trek because I love the show and its safe unless you join starfleet during a war or the borg invade.

Not 40K cos id just get conscripted then eaten by a tyranid.

Mass effect is also dangerous

Dont know much about EVE

Halo id just get killed

Star wars sucks, end of story.

Bobnik
2008-01-08, 07:05 AM
From the list I'd go Star Trek fro reasons already mentioned.

But if I had my choice, Iain M. Banks' Culture novels FTW.

You will live as long as you want, can do just about anything you want, and can have yourself multiply backed up in more than one galaxy. When you are ready to die, you can join a group conciousness, have yourself uploaded to some kind of god-thingy, or just pass away if you feel like it. The standard Culture body comes complete with nearly the same resistance to damage and more adaptivity than a WH40K Space Marine, plus it can change sex on demand and produce it's own drugs. And even if this reality is no good for you, you can hook up Matrix style to whatever you like forever, no questions asked. What's not to like?

Albub
2008-01-08, 08:47 PM
I'd go for Halo because being fairly athletic, intelligent, and sound of mind and body I could join the marines and die in glorious combat. 40k I could do the same, but it'd be more gruesome so it's second. I'm not one for being oppressed by the government, so Star Wars, Star Trek etc. take a backseat. And remember those who propose being supersoldiers in the vein of video game/ novel protagonists, that it's you, just living in this alternate reality.

WhiteKnight777
2008-01-09, 01:46 AM
If I could pick any universe: One of the nice D&D ones. Be a nice person, and you're garunteed an afterlife of bliss.

The thing some people have mentioned is that 40k actually has a fairly good standard of living for the elite. If most of us held an analogous position to our current one (I.E. one of the elite - if you have internet access, you're probably well off compared to 90% of the world.), you'd be living very, very well. The Imperium has incredible medical technology that can keep you alive for theoretically infinite periods of time if you're willing to sacrifice organic bits, or centuries if you're not.

Demented
2008-01-09, 05:22 AM
Star Trek is kinda nice. Just stay the hell on Earth! (And hope you aren't born in the pre-federation era) Everywhere else has some lurking nastiness, but on Earth you only have to worry about the occasional timeline change. Oh, and build your own holoroom; then you can simulate any of the other universes, only with a save button!

Otherwise, Starcraft seems pretty nice.
All the convicts are out getting shot, and so long as you stay out of politics the ghosts won't try to assassinate you. Though life isn't so good for the Protoss, what with your dying homeworld and all. Let's not mention life as a zerg. (Short, but sweet, and filled with large sexy meat.) 'Course, you don't want to get randomly obliterated, Korhal-style, so I recommend life on... Tarsonis, I think it was.

Star Wars is interesting, but I'm eventually going to get in a scuffle with a Jedi, and I doubt it would end well. There's also the Imperials... They seem to be everywhere. Not to mention, someone in a speeder or space frigate is going to be driving drunk in hyperspace, and you don't want to be around when that happens.

Mass Effect: Prodigious alien booty.
That's all I can think of, really. The trailers of the UI make me ph34r.

Halo: No. Thank. You.
EVE: What?

SurlySeraph
2008-01-09, 07:57 PM
'Course, you don't want to get randomly obliterated, Korhal-style, so I recommend life on... Tarsonis, I think it was.

Nope, Tarsonis got overrun by the Zerg. In fact, damn near every single planet has major Zerg infestations. I think Braxis and Korhal are OK, but one's a frozen wasteland and the other's a radioactive wasteland. Shakuras would be OK, if the Zerg aren't still raiding it. Personally, I'd say Mar Sara would be the safest place. The Protoss burned everything to the ground, so no one's fighting over it anymore.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-01-09, 09:17 PM
Well, first I would exclude 90% of any Japanese Video Game Universes.
The chance of it being destroyed or humanity dying out is extremely high.
However, I wouldn't mind living in the tenchi muyo universe (the one from the OVA series and the GXP series. Fairly safe, especially if you are living on earth. The chance of the earth being destroyed is non-existent).

Now, from the options given, I would choose would be between:
Star Wars since out of the ones I know, the chance of dying of old age is pretty good for the average joe.
Warhammer 40k. Only if I was in the sol system and was a member of the upper class. The only thing I would have to worry about is the inquisition and the possibility of the Void Dragon waking up and causing another civil war.

factotum
2008-01-10, 04:33 AM
The Protoss burned everything to the ground, so no one's fighting over it anymore.

Only problem is, if they took out all the plant life as well, the planet won't have a breathable atmosphere for much longer...

Obrysii
2008-01-13, 09:05 AM
Star Wars for me. With nearly a limitless potential for adventure and even for jobs, it holds the most possibilities for me. So, that's the universe I'd be in.

Grey, Darling
2008-01-13, 09:30 AM
Star Trek, its made of win.

And why stick around on Earth... go to Betazed, planet is run by telepathic/empathic nude chicks.

At around age 40, Betazoid females enter a period of increased sexual desire called "the phase" [1]. A Betazoid woman's sex drive will typically quadruple in intensity during the phase.

Star Wars got Jar Jar and Star Trek got Deanna Troi, the nympho empathic MILF.

I rest my case.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-01-14, 08:51 PM
GD's got a very good point, I may be thinking of going to there. Either that, and because of watching star wars yesterday, Living there as well! I think its really a battle right now of Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Mass Effect(. . . A man can dream, you know)

stabbybelkar
2008-01-23, 09:15 PM
I would go for Star Wars, some little planet like Aldivy, nothing happens on Aldivy.

wille your there go to Nam Choros nothing EVER happens there.

Malic
2008-01-23, 09:31 PM
1. The Halo Universe -lolwut? NO...
2. The Star Wars Universe -lolwut? Seriously if I wanna live in a place ruled by people who can kill me with there mind I'd...I just wouldn't...
3. The Mass Effect Universe -No idea
4. The EVE Universe -No idea
5. The 40K Universe -No idea (although I'm 88% sure they're rather war-like)
6. The Star Craft Universe -103% war-like. lolwut?
7. The Star Trek Universe -F...T...W...Seriously. NO contest.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-01-23, 09:44 PM
1. The Halo Universe -- No, thanks; I'd rather not die.
2. The Star Wars Universe -- See above.
3. The Mass Effect Universe -- Relatively safe. Probably the best.
4. The EVE Universe -- No idea.
5. The 40K Universe -- I don't actually know anything about it, but it sounds very dangerous.
6. The Star Craft Universe -- See above.
7. The Star Trek Universe -- safer than most of the others, but the science is too complicated. That annoys me.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 09:55 PM
Star Wars for me. Privately owned spacecraft, laser swords... yeah.

The Haloverse seems neat, but everyone dies, so... no.

Star Trek is nice, but Star Wars has neater ships, and interstellar starfighters. That's enough for me.

The others I don't know enough about.

Metal Head
2008-01-23, 10:03 PM
None of the Final Fantasy universes. For some reason they're always on the brink of an apocalypse.

And same thing with Star Wars. Planets are constantly getting blown up, invaded, diseased, and all sorts of fun stuff. And let's not forget that a bunch of guys with light swords are running all over the place and killing people with their minds.

Never would I live in the world of Halo. There's a friggin war going on. Same goes for the Star Craft universe.

Wouldn't want to live in the Star Trek universe because unless I happen to be on the crew of a certain exploratory space ship, then there's not much to do besides getting killed by the Borg.

Mass Effect is a maybe. The evil robots that beat the hell out of everybody are gone (I think, I never beat the game), but in a world with those robots there's bound to be some other apocalyptic thing ready to kill you.

The Oblivion universe would be an interesting one. Most of the challenges against civilization are minor, and dealt with by adventurers. Getting a job is insanely easy, so I think I'll go with this one.

Albub
2008-01-23, 10:04 PM
What's with you folks and not dying? Seems like the bunch of you are self-preserving sissy pacifists.

factotum
2008-01-24, 03:15 AM
What's with you folks and not dying? Seems like the bunch of you are self-preserving sissy pacifists.

You say that like it's a bad thing... :smallwink:

Albub
2008-01-24, 03:15 PM
In retrospect, the thread is called "What universe would you rather live in?" I'd say probably Star Wars or Star Trek, 'cause I hate Mass Effect on principle. Star Craft is doable, so long as you were back in good ol' solar system as opposed to wherever the game actually takes place. 40k would be alright, live on some quiet agricultural world and chill out until someone starts raiding/devouring/corrupting or whatever, and all the civvies are evacuated or conscripted. Halo's a tough one, we have one planet left, and it's half-glassed as of H3. Eve I know nothing about, besides the fact that almost everyone's a pirate. Pirates are cool, but scurvy could be tough to live with, I like my teeth.

Ganurath
2008-01-24, 03:32 PM
1. The Halo Universe - Yeah, I'm pretty sure at least half of every species dies inside a month with that option. No thank you.
2. The Star Wars Universe - Lots of eras to pick from, need to be more specific before I decide. Definitely not if it's during the movies: Between those and the books, the stress from the wars going on would send me to an early grave even if the warring didn't.
3. The Mass Effect Universe -All I know about it is humanity is on the S end of the S&M. No thankies.
4. The EVE Universe -Never heard of it, and I don't leap without looking.
5. The 40K Universe - Hmm... Perhaps as a human who immigrated to the Tau Empire. I could see myself making a modest contribution to the Water or Earth Castes.
6. The Star Craft Universe - ...NO.
7. The Star Trek Universe - The Star Trek universe is either hopelessly dull and fruitless or at war. I think not.

Conclusion: Unless the summary of the EVE universe convinces me otherwise, I'll serve the Greater Good.

ikrase
2008-01-24, 04:51 PM
Halo is bad for obvious reasons
Star wars is GOOD. There is less war than in sounds like. (just like on earth)
Living on a naboo-like planet(other than naboo) would be good
Others I dont know

The Orange Zergling
2008-01-24, 05:08 PM
Halo: No idea
Starwars: Maybe in one of the non-war zones
Startrek: No idea
40k: Hell no
EVE: No idea
Mass Effect: No idea
Starcraft: Hell no
EVE: No idea

Mando Knight
2008-01-24, 05:33 PM
Star wars is GOOD. There is less war than in sounds like. (just like on earth)
Living on a naboo-like planet(other than naboo) would be good

Like... peaceful Alderaan? Oh wait. I forgot. It's a bunch of flying rocks now.:smallbiggrin:

I'd actually like to be a Rebellion fighter jockey who blasts through TIEs like they're chunks of tender nerf steak. Of course, being a TIE Defender ace who almost single-handedly takes down entire squadrons of X-Wings wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the Empire's lousy track record with Heroic Characters of Destiny...

factotum
2008-01-25, 03:40 AM
Like... peaceful Alderaan? Oh wait. I forgot. It's a bunch of flying rocks now.:smallbiggrin:

Peaceful? If the place was that peaceful, why was the ship used by its ambassador (the Tantive IV) armed? Also, wasn't Alderaan an early supporter of the Rebellion and thus pretty much a gigantic target anyway?

LordVader
2008-01-26, 04:35 PM
Star Trek.

The Federation is the epitome of human beings, what we can aspire to be. And there is very rarely any significant threat to the well-being of its citizens, especially if you live on Earth.

Sign me up.

The Starship Troopers universe also doesn't seem like it would be too bad...

Mando Knight
2008-01-26, 04:53 PM
Peaceful? If the place was that peaceful, why was the ship used by its ambassador (the Tantive IV) armed? Also, wasn't Alderaan an early supporter of the Rebellion and thus pretty much a gigantic target anyway?

Remember Leia's plea in ANH? "NO! Alderaan is peaceful, we have no weapons!"

Peaceful.

Ganurath
2008-01-26, 04:58 PM

Peaceful.King Steve agrees: Corpses are very peaceful.

Malic
2008-01-26, 07:45 PM
How is the fnal stage of gaming (the Holodeck) anwhere close to dull. YOu can script anyt event you want to in it from Halo to Star Wars and then some. With no real danger.

Studoku
2008-01-26, 07:56 PM
1. The Halo Universe- Not a good choice. Mankind almost gets wiped out and covenant don't fare briliantly either. It's also full of noobs.
2. The Star Wars Universe- I don't like Jedi or any of the arbitary physics but at least it's relatively safe.
3. The Mass Effect Universe- Never played Mass Effect (but I plan to). Apparently the universe has sex with hot alien women so it can't be that bad.
4. The EVE Universe- Don't know
5. The 40K Universe- Definately not. I'm not a fan of 40k and I'm also the worst player ever at it. (seriously)
6. The Star Craft Universe -don't know
7. The Star Trek Universe -don't know very well but it looks ok

While I'm here,
8. The Half-life universe- If you can get past the whole 'enslaved by the combine' thing, portal gun. 'nuff said.
9. The Startopia universe- Random space stations and Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy references everywhere. I'd definately choose this if it was an option.

Malic
2008-01-27, 10:48 PM
I've recently started playing the Eve Online 14 day free trial. And I gotta tell you it's been bumped up to # 2 right behind Star Trek...Might have to do some research on Mass Effect to see if it would be good to live there...

Mando Knight
2008-01-27, 11:03 PM
King Steve agrees: Corpses are very peaceful.

Unless you get some necromancy in there... good thing Star Wars doesn't have that for the most part (there are a couple of instances where a Jedi has brought another back to life...)

Twin2
2008-01-27, 11:36 PM
5. The 40K Universe- Definately not. I'm not a fan of 40k and I'm also the worst player ever at it. (seriously)

Having the accumulated knowledge of tvtropes page on it, I can emphatically say no to there regardless of skill at that game, good god no.

factotum
2008-01-28, 04:33 AM

Peaceful.

So where did the weapons on her ship and carried by its crew come from? It was an Alderaanian ship with an Alderaanian crew!

Meshakhad
2008-01-29, 07:50 PM
Depends if I can be a capsuleer in EVE. If the answer is yes, I'll take it. Immortality + money = win!

Second place goes to Star Trek. The Federation is almost a utopia, and most of its problems are external.

EVE as a non-capsuleer is third place. It isn't a lot more dangerous than our world, really. I'd be best off living in the Gallente Federation - economic prosperity and civil liberties. And I can avoid most of the dangers by staying planetside.

To give you an idea of the EVE Universe... eh, I'm not going to bother. Go to www.eve-online.com, read the backstory, then download the free trial. If you like it, you'll thank me. If you don't, eh, it's a free trial.

My least favorite? The WH40k universe, mainly because it lacks a democratic option. Halo comes in second-to-last place, due to nearly getting wiped out. But until we do die, it's pretty nice.

I don't know Mass Effect very well. Starcraft isn't totalitarian, and has a much better survival rate than Halo. Star Wars - eh, I'll just go to an unimportant planet and stay there until the Empire falls.

Finally, the Half-Life universe. On the one hand, it's totalitarian. On the other hand, physicists get all the important jobs, so I'd be far better off. And while there's the strong possibility of getting pwned by the Combine, at least I get to fight alongside Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance.

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 08:47 PM
So where did the weapons on her ship and carried by its crew come from? It was an Alderaanian ship with an Alderaanian crew!

The Tantive IV was a Corellian Corvette, not an Alderaanian ship. The ship did have weapons, but the official excuse for weapons on a consular ship is to allow it to hold off against pirates. It was not intended for front-line duty.

Also, comparatively, Alderaan was defenseless, compare it to Dubrillion (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dubrillion).

Rogue 7
2008-01-30, 02:44 AM

And why stick around on Earth... go to Betazed, planet is run by telepathic/empathic nude chicks.

I rest my case.

OBJECTION! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fb/AaylaSecura.jpg/260px-AaylaSecura.jpg)

Silroc
2008-01-30, 03:02 AM
Star Trek, hands down. Best quality of life, holodecks, and the opportunity to open my own bar on Risa..

Of course, all of these are really determined by what we get to BE in that universe. I mean, if I can be a Jedi, Star Wars would be cool. If I'd be stuck as "Unnamed Rebel Trooper #357", no thanks.

Mando Knight
2008-01-30, 08:25 AM
OBJECTION! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fb/AaylaSecura.jpg/260px-AaylaSecura.jpg)

HOLD IT!

This (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2400837) is the link you're looking for!

factotum
2008-01-30, 08:49 AM
The Tantive IV was a Corellian Corvette, not an Alderaanian ship. The ship did have weapons, but the official excuse for weapons on a consular ship is to allow it to hold off against pirates. It was not intended for front-line duty.

I meant Alderaanian as in owned and run by Alderaanians, not built by them--we know from the prequels that it was originally Bail Organa's personal ship, so it's been in Alderaanian service for at least twenty years by the time of ANH. And I also never said the ship was intended as a warship--what I am pointing out is that its very EXISTENCE proves that the Alderaanians had weapons, whatever Leia might have said during that scene. That those weapons would not have been powerful enough to defend against the Death Star is irrelevant, because half the Starfleet wouldn't have been enough to do that (without knowledge of a certain exhaust port, at any rate).

Headless_Ninja
2008-02-11, 03:09 PM
Can I live in The Culture?

LordVader
2008-02-11, 06:53 PM

I rest my case.

Excellent point.....Darling. :smallwink:

((Imperium Nova reference for those poor souls who have not experienced the joy of that game.))

Top 2 for me are:
Star Trek (enlightened, low risk of death from GRIBBLY ALIENZ)
Starship Troopers: (Society is very good, negligible crime, and you're safe on Earth as long as you are chillin' in a small town away from major cities.)