PDA

View Full Version : Higher Education in England?

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-02, 09:37 AM
This seems to be a great place for asking about moves to Europe, so I thought I'd put a question in here.
My parents are moving to England with the government. Normally, since I'm in college, I'd have no problem with taking a plane over there every summer and winter vacation and continuing my education at Mary Wash. However, I've found out that many of my friends are considering transferring, for various reasons. I'm not tied to Mary Wash by any specific program, it's mostly my friends and the diversity of their programs that's keeping me there. So I figured, if my friends are leaving, why not look at places in Europe? I've traveled before, Europe is awesome.
However, and this is the biggest problem, my first semester grades were AWFUL. I took classes above the freshman level, due to problems with registration. I think I'm on probation. So, my question is, are there universities in England that would possibly accept an American transfer with terrible grades?

CurlyKitGirl
2008-01-02, 10:01 AM
It depends.

Where precisely are you moving to?
Do you know anything about Unis in the UK?
What courses/major/whatever it is you do are you doing?
What degree do you want to do?
Costs?

Also, some Unis (colleges here are for 16-18 year olds) don't have degrees you may want to do.
Grades would depend on the Uni, the degree course, and other circumstances.

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-02, 10:12 AM
I moving to Gloucester, I know absolutely nothing about Unis in England but I know it's completely different, I don't know what I'm majoring in yet.
You know what, this is a silly thing for me to consider. There's no time for me to transfer for sophomore year, and Junior year I can just do a year abroad. Is there a way to delete this thread?

Kaelaroth
2008-01-02, 10:48 AM
Edit your first post? Click delete?

Castaras
2008-01-02, 10:51 AM
You can only really lock the thread. Can't delete it, I think...

dish
2008-01-02, 10:52 AM
A Junior year abroad does sound like the best option for you. Does your university have links with any of the UK universities? Can you apply for a programme through them? (It might be cheaper...the UK is known for charging higher fees for overseas students in order to keep fees for home students down.)

Gloucester is a nice part of the world, and it's close to some very good universities: Bristol, Bath, and Cardiff Universities are all very highly-regarded.

Edited to add: you can find university rankings by university or subject at the Times online good university guide (http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php).

Also: I'll stop posting here, and this thread should just die a natural death.

Exeson
2008-01-02, 11:56 AM
Studying as a foreign student here would basically kill you money wise, I don't think its the best idea..

Zombie pixe
2008-01-02, 05:42 PM
also. the american education system is mocked and rideculed in some (most) places of education in england, but im sure there will be somewhere who will take you in.

captain_decadence
2008-01-02, 05:58 PM
also. the american education system is mocked and rideculed in some (most) places of education in england, but im sure there will be somewhere who will take you in.

And the english education system is mocked by people in lots of american ones. So just because people disdain the others, doesn't mean either has the best or better colleges.

I know nothing about universities in England, except what I've been told, but I recommend staying in the US. Not because I have anything against england, but because transferring is hard (especially with bad grades) and going to university abroad involves a pretty good amount of paperwork and visas and fun things like that.

Timberwolf
2008-01-02, 06:46 PM
In terms of serious universities near Gloucester, you have Bath and Bristol, but by the sounds of it, you're better off staying put.

averagejoe
2008-01-02, 10:03 PM
Actually, while everyone is on the subject, I wonder if you Englanders might be able to give me a similar sort of advice. Mom has family in England, so I was thinking of going to graduate school up there. I've researched some myself, and plan to do more, but I really like interacting with people when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm a physics student who gets fairly decent grades at a school which has a pretty good physics program. Could any of you give me some suggestions? Much obliged.

dish
2008-01-02, 11:53 PM
Actually, while everyone is on the subject, I wonder if you Englanders might be able to give me a similar sort of advice. Mom has family in England, so I was thinking of going to graduate school up there. I've researched some myself, and plan to do more, but I really like interacting with people when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm a physics student who gets fairly decent grades at a school which has a pretty good physics program. Could any of you give me some suggestions? Much obliged.

I'm not a physicist, so I'm not the best person to talk to. However, my brother and sister-in-law both studied physics at Nottingham university and loved it. (It's number ten on the Times list.) It depends on what you're looking for though. If you want prestigious then I'd say Imperial College in London or Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh is the way to go. However, if you're looking for strong links with industry leading to a highly-paid position after graduation then some of the newer universities are known for that. For example, this summer I met a guy whose Phd at Dundee university was being sponsored by the Sony corporation, and he was delighted with the way it was all working out.

tis_tom
2008-01-06, 05:18 PM
Physics wise the better unis in the U.K would be Edinburgh, Imperial, or UCL if I were to suggest any. There are others as well, but Imperial and UCL are in London which is expensive, but fantastic, and while Edinburgh will be freezing it's a fantastic city.

Liverpool's also good I hear, but these suggestions are just through me going out with a post grad physicist so I'm not 1st hand experiencing it :-)

Stormwolf
2008-02-01, 05:38 PM
Manchester used to have a decent physics dept. - not sure how they're faring these days though (showing my age :smallredface:). Nottingham is a great place and the uni is one of the top 10 in the country, without being too expensive or too cold. I'm biased because I live there.