PDA

View Full Version : Divine Spellcaster dilemma... (Which to take..)

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-02, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone ^^,

After being a DM for some time now, I'm passing the torch to one of my fellow players, and become a PC myself... My job is act as the healer/buffer.

But I can't really choose... I'm doubting between a Druid, Favored Soul, or (even though they aren't fully healer, the rawk nevertheless...) a Dragon Shaman. (NO Cleric... I dislike Clerics... I just do despite all the Codzilla stuff)

Any advice?

Gardakan
2008-01-02, 02:35 PM
Dragon shaman isn't a healer but a special warrior. I recommend you to choose between druid and favored soul. Druid is polyvalent and had many special abilities like animal companion, wildshape, spells and mnay little thing. Favored soul can be a great healer... but just choose Cure Light Wound and pick up a wand of Cure Light Wounds and you're good for an adventure...

Choose the druid... because i don't like favored soul...

daggaz
2008-01-02, 02:35 PM
Personally I really like the dragon shamans on the chat I play, but we are pretty low level (me and a few others are the highest at 6th). Still, their auras are great, especially if you play in a deadly setting with magic but no magic shops. EDIT and yeah, they dont really heal much at all.

Druids are probably better tho at all around healing and buffing, plus they rock (probably more so than CodZilla).

de-trick
2008-01-02, 02:40 PM
I'd go for favored soul for being able to cast more heal spells per day than any other. The worst thing is when the healer runs dry

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 02:45 PM
Dragon shaman isn't a healer but a special warrior. I recommend you to choose between druid and favored soul. Druid is polyvalent and had many special abilities like animal companion, wildshape, spells and mnay little thing. Favored soul can be a great healer... but just choose Cure Light Wound and pick up a wand of Cure Light Wounds and you're good for an adventure...

I love that word, polyvalent. I recall you mentioning that you are french canadian. Nyuknyuknyuk. It means that a molecule has more than one available electron for ionic bonding but it sounds so elegant as you use it. I will start using it the same way.

The best reason to be druid is the Vigor Spells, the best out of combat heal spell. The best reason to be Favored Soul is being able to spontaneously cast Close Wound. But if you choose Archivist from heroes of horrors (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) you can get both spells in your prayer book and use them from wands you create too.

F.L.
2008-01-02, 02:48 PM
Druids are part of CoDzilla. Cleric Or Druid - Zilla!

That said, as long as you come up with a character concept more interesting than "I'm gonna do the healz" (provided this isn't a hack&slash style campaign where that's perfectly fine), you should be able to have fun with any of the divine casters. It's not winning battles that's the point of the game, it's winning battles while looking cool that is. So even if it's slightly suboptimal, if you have an idea like: I'm gonna turn my arms and head into snakes and bite people while firing snakes long distance at people; or I'm gonna be wreathed in flames and firing sunlight arrows from a burning flying chariot; you can have fun, and probably pull this off working from any normal divine caster. It certainly beats just being known as the walking first aid battery.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-02, 02:48 PM
Okay what I've got now:

Druid:
Pros:
-Big spell selection.
-Wild shape!

Cons:
-Prepared spellcasting (And no spontaneous healing unless I take a special feat)

Favored Soul:
Pros:
-More spells a day
-Spontaneous casting (Thus more versatility)
-Wings!

Cons:
-Small spell selection (Not THAT big a con but still...)
-Bad offensive casting (Thanks to the bloody MAD)

Dragon Shaman:
Pros:
-Simple absolute numbers with healing combined with an aura of Vigor can still make good healing (I'll just invest a bit in Cha)
-Auras are good buffing
-Breath and wings!

Cons:
-Healing becomes harder with high hp characters (Pretty much all fighter types)
-No spells
-MAD

Don't get me wrong, I prefer playing with style, but it can't be denied that my party needs healing. (I mean come on, it's got style to take a Barbarian, make her take the Monkey Grip with, wield Large Greatswords and Leap Attack random characters, whilst being rather pissed.)

marjan
2008-01-02, 02:54 PM
If you are just looking for healing any of those will do nice (though Dragon Shaman might need a little UMD help). Just pick one you like most.

DeathEatsCurry
2008-01-02, 02:58 PM
I don't mean to sound stupid... But what's UMD?

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 02:59 PM
Use Magic Device

F.L.
2008-01-02, 02:59 PM
Use Magical Device.

The list of common abbreviations has it.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512

Edit: And I've been Bar-Lgura'd Simu-Ninja'd.

Gardakan
2008-01-02, 03:02 PM
I love that word, polyvalent. I recall you mentioning that you are french canadian. Nyuknyuknyuk. It means that a molecule has more than one available electron for ionic bonding but it sounds so elegant as you use it. I will start using it the same way.

The best reason to be druid is the Vigor Spells, the best out of combat heal spell. The best reason to be Favored Soul is being able to spontaneously cast Close Wound. But if you choose Archivist from heroes of horrors (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) you can get both spells in your prayer book and use them from wands you create too.

In frend ''polyvalent'' means that the druid can do a lot of thing very well. He can heal, do damage with wildshape, cast combat spells and buff spells, be stealthy(transforming in a dog...) and do many things with a little bit of imagination...

Gardakan
2008-01-02, 03:03 PM

In frend ''polyvalent'' means that the druid can do a lot of thing very well. He can heal, do damage with wildshape, cast combat spells and buff spells, be stealthy(transforming in a dog...) and do many things with a little bit of imagination...

Gardakan
2008-01-02, 03:05 PM
Okay what I've got now:

Druid:
Pros:
-Big spell selection.
-Wild shape!

Cons:
-Prepared spellcasting (And no spontaneous healing unless I take a special feat)

Favored Soul:
Pros:
-More spells a day
-Spontaneous casting (Thus more versatility)
-Wings!

Cons:
-Small spell selection (Not THAT big a con but still...)
-Bad offensive casting (Thanks to the bloody MAD)

Dragon Shaman:
Pros:
-Simple absolute numbers with healing combined with an aura of Vigor can still make good healing (I'll just invest a bit in Cha)
-Auras are good buffing
-Breath and wings!

Cons:
-Healing becomes harder with high hp characters (Pretty much all fighter types)
-No spells
-MAD

Don't get me wrong, I prefer playing with style, but it can't be denied that my party needs healing. (I mean come on, it's got style to take a Barbarian, make her take the Monkey Grip with, wield Large Greatswords and Leap Attack random characters, whilst being rather pissed.)

Prepared spellcasting isn't a cons'. Take an elf and meditate 4 hours then study your spell for an hour. »You had 3 hours left in front of you...

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 03:07 PM

I understood what you meant by context ^_^

marjan
2008-01-02, 03:08 PM
Prepared spellcasting isn't a cons'. Take an elf and meditate 4 hours then study your spell for an hour. »You had 3 hours left in front of you...

You still need to rest your mind for 8 hours to regain your spells. Even if you could 4h is long time when you need that spell right away.

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 03:09 PM

Nope, you still need the eight hours of rest even if you are an elf. And druids replenish spellcasting at a precified time of day (or is that just FR?)

Draz74
2008-01-02, 03:26 PM

Choose the Favored Soul ... because I don't like the Druid ... :smallamused:

Well, I like the Druid OK if he is using the Spontaneous Casting variant from UA, and also either the "Swift and deadly hunter" variant from UA or the Shapechange variant from PHB II.

Starsinger
2008-01-02, 03:26 PM
Nope, you still need the eight hours of rest even if you are an elf. And druids replenish spellcasting at a precified time of day (or is that just FR?)

I seem to recall also that in Core, druids and clerics gain their spells at a specific time of day. I believe it's dictated by your deity (if you're a cleric) and then at dawn if you're a good cleric, noon if neutral, midnight if evil.. and uhh.. I think druids get them at dawn.

The_Snark
2008-01-02, 03:29 PM
Divine spellcasters do not need 8 hours of rest. They simply have to take an hour at the appropriate time of day.

And prepared spellcasting is listen as a con largely because it limits your flexibility once you've selected your spells. You can change your selection around for the day, but you still can't ever be quite sure whether you'll need Wind Wall or another Dispel Magic.

Spontaneous casting is also a con because while you're flexible day-to-day, you can't afford to take specialized spells, but you can't have everything.

I'd go with a druid if you feel like casting spells at people, or a favored soul if you feel more like being a warrior with healing abilities and a few spells.

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 03:30 PM
I seem to recall also that in Core, druids and clerics gain their spells at a specific time of day. I believe it's dictated by your deity (if you're a cleric) and then at dawn if you're a good cleric, noon if neutral, midnight if evil.. and uhh.. I think druids get them at dawn.

Hmmmn, I know Malar Druids get them at sun down.

Craig1f
2008-01-02, 04:28 PM
Shamans are not sufficient healers. They'll add some spice to the game, but they're actually kind of boring. You're better off taking the Dragon Fire Adept class, picking up the Draconic Aura feat, and getting the Vigor aura (although, it's debatable if Vigor is a valid choice of aura when you get the feat).

DFAs also benefit from UMD as a class skill, so you can stock up on healing wands. And their breath weapon is far superior to the Dragon Shaman.

Also, Dragon Shamans and Favored Soul don't get wings until like what, level 20? That's week. DFAs get them pretty quick (level 5 I think?) by taking the Draconic Flight invocation. And they can dismiss their wings when they want to, so they don't have to walk around with wings everywhere.

Although, dragon shamans do have a lot of versatility in their healing of afflictions. They just can't be relied upon as primary healers.