PDA

View Full Version : Build by Theme: Occam's Razor and Red Herring

cupkeyk
2008-01-02, 05:04 PM
Hi. I would like to ask for some help in building an effective yet fluffy character. He should have Urban Tracking, Tracking and Sense motive and other investigator like things like Intimidate, Diplomacy, Spot and Listen. If he can have some supernatural support available like divination abilities, that would be awesome. Lastly, he wields a quickrazor.

Next, I would also need some help building an illusionist type guy who misleads not only using arcane means but also using mundane means: forgery, disguise and bluff.

Both characters will be introduced in the story at level three and will be each other's rivals but will at varying times assist or deter the PC's depending on their respective agenda. But they will never willingly cooperate with each other.

All books are available as long as its WoTC and 3.5, preferably FR.

Thanks in advance,

Citizen Joe
2008-01-02, 05:28 PM
Well, I got some names for you... the detective guy you can call Richard Street (**** Street the street ****)

The head obfuscator can be called Mr. Afoaf with his two buddies Rhett Herrinct and Conner MacGuffin. Afoaf stands for "A friend of a friend". Make sure Rhett and Conner are always together and gesture to them together, never separately so you can't distinguish between the two. Both of them have a habit of leaving important things behind. One of them is important, the other just seems that way.

BRC
2008-01-02, 05:47 PM
Well, I got some names for you... the detective guy you can call Richard Street (**** Street the street ****)

The head obfuscator can be called Mr. Afoaf with his two buddies Rhett Herrinct and Conner MacGuffin. Afoaf stands for "A friend of a friend". Make sure Rhett and Conner are always together and gesture to them together, never separately so you can't distinguish between the two. Both of them have a habit of leaving important things behind. One of them is important, the other just seems that way.
No, the investigator guy should either by Ace A Spades or Phil Harmonic, private investigator and freelance orchestra conductor.

But seriously folks
For the investigator I would say make him either an Urban Ranger or a rogue, either way with a good wisdom score for sense motive checks.

The illusionist/Trickster I would go with Sorceror, because the high charisma will help both his spellcasting and bluff checks, and maybe a level of rogue so he gets the class skills he'll need.

Ganurath
2008-01-02, 06:00 PM
Investigation Man: I would suggest the Urban Ranger, a varient from Unearthed Arcana available in the SRD. Have him work toward the Bloodhound PrC. He's a lawful type, but more of a personal code lawful than legal lawful. He believes the city watch to be inept, and only independant investigators like himself can bring a criminal to justice. You want him wielding a quickrazor, and I suggest doubling it for dual-wielding.

Deception Man: This guy is a Spellthief (Complete Adventurer) working toward Mountebank (Complete Scoundrel.) He values personal freedom above all else, including the freedom to be someone he isn't or do things he isn't allowed. His rivalry with Investigation Man stems from philosophy rather than personal history between them. Deception Man would most likely be a gnome, adding to his magical arsenal and giving him cause to pull pranks on Investigation Man.