PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions

Lolth
2008-01-02, 05:06 PM
Is there a list of post-PhB Animal Companions available somewhere? Specifically for a First-Level Druid for an Underdark game. Said Druid is a Svirfneblin of not particularly impressive physique, so riding, or killing, or other useful qualities a plus.

Thanks!

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-02, 05:07 PM
I think in the Newest Monster Manual they have a complete list

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-01-02, 05:08 PM
Is there a list of post-PhB Animal Companions available somewhere? Specifically for a First-Level Druid for an Underdark game. Said Druid is a Svirfneblin of not particularly impressive physique, so riding, or killing, or other useful qualities a plus.

Thanks!

the druids handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400) undoubtedly has some interesting things to say about animal companions.

Frosty
2008-01-02, 05:16 PM
The PHB2 has a fairly comprehensive listing of animal companions.

Gardakan
2008-01-02, 05:41 PM
The Dire Bat is one of interesting at level 4. You can fly if the combat is lost...

Lolth
2008-01-02, 07:27 PM
The Dire Bat is one of interesting at level 4. You can fly if the combat is lost...

Indeed. Alas, if only they were 1st Level companions, as requested!

:smallsigh:

Stephen_E
2008-01-03, 01:28 AM
Indeed. Alas, if only they were 1st Level companions, as requested!

:smallsigh:

Talk to your DM. Depending on interpretation you could take Natural Bond at 1st lev and use it to cancel the -3 lev adj for Dire Bat, allowing you to take the Dire Bat at lev 1.

Note: While the rules are reasonably clear that you can use Natural Bond to cancel a alternative Companion lev adj, it is debatable whether you can use it to allow access to alternate Companions before you reach the normal minimum level for them.

My current Druid took a young Dire Wolf at 1st lev but statted it as a standard Wolf and when I reached the appropriate level my companion reached it's full growth. You can do this with other alternatice companions, which allows you to get away from the clunky "discard animal companion/friend for a more powerful version as you go up levels". IMHO the -3 & -6 lev adj Companions are generally the most optimised between Raw creature stats and advancement bonuses from leveling.

If you're looking at the Arcane Heirophant Class, or a Paladin Special Mount/Animal Companion cross keep in mind that having an intelligent Companion makes the Companions with a Trip attack stronger as they can take Improved Trip as a feat.

Stephen

Nebo_
2008-01-03, 02:29 AM
Note: While the rules are reasonably clear that you can use Natural Bond to cancel a alternative Companion lev adj, it is debatable whether you can use it to allow access to alternate Companions before you reach the normal minimum level for them.

It doesn't let you go higher that your HD. I don't see how you could possibly get that interpretation.

Serpentine
2008-01-03, 09:03 AM
I should think that if you make sure your companion is approximately equivalent to the ones listed you'll be fine. If it's not there already, for example, I'm sure one of the sizes of spider would be okay.

kamikasei
2008-01-03, 09:13 AM
I should think that if you make sure your companion is approximately equivalent to the ones listed you'll be fine. If it's not there already, for example, I'm sure one of the sizes of spider would be okay.

Spiders are Vermin, not Animals, so they can't be Animal Companions unless you've taken feats. Or are a Child of Winter, which is much the same thing.

Burley
2008-01-03, 09:24 AM
Now, I dunno how many different books you're allowed to use, but might I suggest taking the Elemental Companion from Complete Mage? A fire or earth elemental would add a lot of flavor to an underdark character IMO. Plus, rather than just getting extra HD and tricks and stuff like most companions, they grow in size as you level, or you can get a second one instead (I think.).
Anyways, look at it, if it is within your means.:smallbiggrin:

Stephen_E
2008-01-03, 09:31 AM
Quote:

It doesn't let you go higher that your HD. I don't see how you could possibly get that interpretation.

It doesn't let your effective Druid level for Animal Companion bonuses purposes go higher than your HD. A 1st level Druid using Natural Bond to balance the penalty to their effective Druid level has an effective Druid level of 1. The same as their HD.

The dodgy part is the Alternatice Companion table in the PHB gives actual Druid levels when the alternative companions are available. The question is are these merely indicative of the level you need to be before you can take them and still have an effective level of 1+, their were no boosts to your effective Druid level at the time, or are they an absolute "you must be this minimum actual Druid level. Looking at the Ranger there is good reason to beleive it's the former, but the case is far from conclusive, and some may object simply on the grounds they consider it to powerful/cheesy (I've noted elsewhere that a lot of iffy rule interpretations I've seen appear to be based far more on what the reader thinks is a fair/balanced interpretation, rather than what matches the general writing/context of the rules)

Stephen