PDA

View Full Version : Wizard?

Delanish
2008-01-02, 10:02 PM
I'm planning on making a wizard....But i do not know wheather to roll a Human or a Gnome could someone help me with this.

Solo
2008-01-02, 10:21 PM
I prefer human wizards fort he bonus feat and skill points.

marjan
2008-01-02, 10:25 PM
I prefer human wizards fort he bonus feat and skill points.

I agree, unless you are talking about whisper gnomes. If you want small race better go with Strongheart Halfling.

Flawless
2008-01-02, 10:26 PM
Well, it depends on what you what fluff you want. There is no much mechanical difference between the two choices.

An extra feat is always a good thing and extra skill points come in handy with all those different knowledge types. So a human makes for a more diverse kind of wizard.

A gnome on the other hand has small size, thus +1 to AC and attacks (so, mainly touch and ranged touch), +2 CON for the low, low price of -2 STR, which is another advantage. And don't forget the +1 on save DCs for illusion spells.

So, a gnome is more specialized by default than a human, but the difference is, as I said before, not all that big. Just play whatever feels better. A wizard is a power house, no matter whether he's a human or a gnome.

Aquillion
2008-01-03, 01:18 AM
I'm planning on making a wizard....But i do not know wheather to roll a Human or a Gnome could someone help me with this.What's your character concept? Where do you plan on going with this, both in terms of mechanics and in terms of your character?

Mechanically, I think most people would agree that human is better if you spend your feat wisely, but it's not really as though it's a big deal. A straight wizard is going to do fine in all but the most absurdly optimized of games... and even then, you'll always have things to do. A wizard isn't like a fighter, where if you squander your feats you can be in trouble... you can change your spells every day, and there's always something useful for you to memorize. Your race isn't going to change that.

KoDT69
2008-01-03, 10:42 AM
Dude, don't be a gnome. Nobody likes gnomes. Nobody wants to end up like Gimble! :smallbiggrin:

Craig1f
2008-01-03, 02:02 PM
If you plan to specialize in Illusions, then choose the Gnome. Otherwise, choose the human.

Gorbash
2008-01-03, 02:11 PM
I have a Gnome Wizard... If you take spell focus illusion and greater spell focus illusion, you have a +3 DC on all your illusion spells. And don't give me that 'illusions are crap' stuff. They are awesome if used properly. My 4th level illusions have a DC of 22. 23 on next level when I boost up my INT score.

Not to mention that *any* race is better than a human... Bonus on listen, alchemy, hide, CON score (effectively +1 on concentration), bonus on attack against goblinoids and kobolds (and we're playing Red Hand of Doom, so hooray for that), Low-Light vision, bonus on save against illusions, spell-like abilities...

I'm sorry, but one feat and an extra skill point just don't add up for everything mentioned here. Not to mention that humans are freakin blind at any time except daylight. And as someone mentioned, wizard isn't at all dependant on his feats...

marjan
2008-01-03, 02:29 PM
Not to mention that *any* race is better than a human... Bonus on listen, alchemy, hide, CON score (effectively +1 on concentration), bonus on attack against goblinoids and kobolds (and we're playing Red Hand of Doom, so hooray for that), Low-Light vision, bonus on save against illusions, spell-like abilities...

Bonus on listen - listen is not a class skill so that is only important on lower levels.
Bonus on Alchemy - nice but useless since it takes to long to make items you can buy easily
CON - along with small size that's everything gnome has to offer
Bonus on attacks - past lvl3 this one will be useless unless your DM loves kobolds very much (in which case it won't be enough:smallwink: )
Low-light vision - nice but unimportant
Bonus on saves against illusion - wizards already have high will save so this isn't all that great.
Spell-like abilities - two cantrips and one not so great 1st lvl spell (at best situational)

I'm sorry, but one feat and an extra skill point just don't add up for everything mentioned here. Not to mention that humans are freakin blind at any time except daylight. And as someone mentioned, wizard isn't at all dependant on his feats...
Extra skill - at worst that's one more knowledge maxed-out (gnomes get a bonus of +4 to skills, that's how many extra SP humans have at lvl1)
Humans aren't blind in shadowy illumination just like gnomes they just see less. And gnomes are blind in the dark also.
While wizard isn't all that dependant on his feats, unless you need some for prerequisites for PrC which you usually do, the feat is much better than anything gnome has to offer.

Keld Denar
2008-01-04, 10:24 AM
Dude, don't be a gnome. Nobody likes gnomes. Nobody wants to end up like Gimble! :smallbiggrin:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556

I'm sure Killer Gnome would like to have a word with you...

Solo
2008-01-04, 10:30 AM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556

I'm sure Killer Gnome would like to have a word with you...

Pun-pun laughs at the Killer Gnome.

valadil
2008-01-04, 10:53 AM
I've had a gnome illusionist since 3.0 came out. He's been one of my favorite characters to play. But if you aren't going for illusion, there isn't much reason to go gnome.

Keld Denar
2008-01-04, 12:04 PM
I've had a gnome illusionist since 3.0 came out. He's been one of my favorite characters to play. But if you aren't going for illusion, there isn't much reason to go gnome.

Once you go gnome you never...go home?

Person_Man
2008-01-04, 12:30 PM
I agree, unless you are talking about whisper gnomes. If you want small race better go with Strongheart Halfling.

Agreed. Small size bonuses, but you still get the bonus feat. Human is fine too. Grey Elf is another good option. Gnomes are best avoided, unless you're a Whisper Gnome playing a Skill Monkey.

Gardakan
2008-01-04, 02:07 PM
A gnome is also good with illusions. You can do a pretty good illusionist if you had a great imagination. But human do awesome spellcaster... the bonus feat help in that. You don't think to do an elf... they have weapon profiniency with longsword, rapier, short and longbow(composite too...). Elf have +2 in dexterity(constitution -2... stay back of the party...)...

Cormac
2008-01-04, 04:51 PM
I have to say, in my opinion, the best race is a grey elf for wizarding (you get a +1 dc to save against all your spells, not just illusion... you get bonus spells, bonus skills [so that the only thing a human gets that you dont is an extra feat, which in no way matches up to your boost to int and dex and other fun skill bonuses]).

Also, i remember spellcasting protege from 3.0, but havent seen it in 3.5 (it gives you an effective +2 to your spellcasting stat for all spellcasting purposes...bonus spells, etc.). I doubt it made it in to 3.5, because it drastically outmatches the nerfed spell focus, but i just want to check, has anyone seen it?

Collin152
2008-01-04, 05:41 PM
Once you go gnome you never...go home?

The yactually kill you for being a gnome?