PDA

View Full Version : How would you stat a Dragonslayer?

Raistlin1040
2008-01-02, 10:06 PM
Title says most of it. Not a knight who slays a dragon occasionally, but a full-time dragonslayer. I'm thinking a Ranger/Fighter, but I'm not sure.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-01-02, 10:10 PM
The Draconomicon actually has a Dragonslayer PrC.

I'd just go full Ranger, to get the maximum mileage out of Favored Enemy (Dragons). Maybe a 2-level dip into Fighter for the bonus feats.

Raistlin1040
2008-01-02, 10:13 PM
The irony of this is that I actually own the Draconomicon, and completely forgot about the PrC.

Ok, so how would you stat it EXCLUDING that PrC?

AmberVael
2008-01-02, 10:17 PM
Are you limiting yourself to melee classes, or would you be willing to use a spellcaster?
Do you want optimized, stylized, or a combination?
What level(s) are you aiming for?
What is your ability score generation method?
What race or races are available/would you prefer?
What books do you have access to?
Etc.

I'm more than willing to help, it'd just be nice to have more set perimeters. :smallwink:

SurlySeraph
2008-01-02, 10:38 PM
I like the smite-happy, lance-wielding, shiny-armored Paladin myself...

Raistlin1040
2008-01-02, 10:54 PM
Are you limiting yourself to melee classes, or would you be willing to use a spellcaster? Spellcasters are fine
Do you want optimized, stylized, or a combination? Combination, more on the optimized side.
What level(s) are you aiming for? Any
What is your ability score generation method? Any
What race or races are available/would you prefer? LA+0 from books listed
What books do you have access to? Core, Complete Warrior, Savage Species, Races of Destiny, PhBII, DMGII, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, Spell Compendium, Complete Mage, Draconomicon
Etc.

I'm more than willing to help, it'd just be nice to have more set perimeters. :smallwink:
Sorry about that. Anyway, this isn't for a campaign in mind, it's just that I'm only in one campaign, and I'd like to join another. I've been kicking around the idea of a dragonslayer for about a week now, and I figured if I could get some ideas here I could build one to suit the campaign's needs. Preferably not the Dragonslayer PrC because I don't really like PrCs in general, but this one just isn't my style.

On that note, if anyone is in or running a 3.5 campaign and needs another player, I'd be up for it.

Fishy
2008-01-02, 10:59 PM
Because I am a nerd, I would go with Ranger/Archivist, using the Draconic Archivist feat. 6 levels of Ranger and Rapid Shot qualifies you for Greater Manyshot, 8 levels of Archivist gives you Dark Knowledge(Foe), among other wonderful things. Rangers don't get Knowledge(Arcana), so you might have to spend a feat on Educated or Able Learner to keep it maxed- and as long as you're doing that and have a feat to spare, Knowledge Devotion is very nice.

This is a character who has made studying dragons his life. He knows how to track them, he knows their habits, their mindset, their battle tactics: and he knows the ten weakest spots on a dragon's hide, and can put an arrow through each one in ten seconds.

Whether or not he's actually effective against dragons, I really can't say.

Doomsy
2008-01-02, 11:06 PM
Leviathan Hunter from Stormwrack.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-02, 11:20 PM
Wizard, after 9th level or so.

Quietus
2008-01-03, 12:21 AM
Book of Exalted Deeds, I believe, has "Vassal of Bahamut", which is geared specifically toward killing Evil dragons. I've never been a fan of the actual Dragonslayer class, it's always seemed pretty weak to me, I prefer Dragonrider myself.

Also, if you're looking to make a "floating" character looking for a game, you could always try Vethedar (linked in my signature). Premise of the world is that civilization is few and far between, as a result of the world being caught in the remnants of an ancient war between tyrranous draconic overlords and the humanoid slaves. It'd impose a couple limits on you, unfortunately (for example, your "Statgen : any" would become "Statgen : 40 point buy", and there's a couple book limits, mainly no psionics/setting books for flavor and no ToB so I don't have to worry too much about new mechanics), but so far it's been pretty good. Little quiet over the holiday season, but things are starting to kick back up.

kpenguin
2008-01-03, 12:27 AM
Shivering Touch, need I say more?

Hectonkhyres
2008-01-03, 12:30 AM
Whatever the build, the job would almost require having an artificer cohort. Anybody throwing himself at full grown dragons and the armies of kobolds whom they surround themselves with will need to be geared up beyond mortal understanding. Dragons in D&D are a might bit smarter and more magically capable than those in either history or traditional fiction.

nargbop
2008-01-03, 08:46 AM
Feat : Knowledge Devotion, Complete Champion 60. Allows you to add bonusses to attack and damage based on a relevant knowledge check, minimum +1. Know(arcana) for dragons, Know(nature) for plants , and so on. I don't think you can pump damage against humans this way; ask your DM.

Pump a bunch of skill points into Knowledge (arcana) and you'll have a consistently hard-hitting dragonslayer.

DeathQuaker
2008-01-03, 10:06 AM
I don't have a lot of splatbooks, so I'll answer for core classes:

I'd probably go with a multiclass ranger/cleric. Ranger provides some decent melee ability, favored enemy, tracking, and knowledge: dungeoneering (useful for surviving in a lair). Cleric provides important buff and protection spells, including elemental resistance--a must if you want to survive dragonbreath, and they have decent hit points and hit progression. Cleric also has some useful knowledge skills, as well as spellcraft (good for countering a spellcasting dragon).

Not going to provide a specific build, but I'd probably do more levels in cleric than ranger. I'd pick feats to improve my ability to defend myself--ranger abilities need light armor, so anything boosting AC is good--and help max out my melee damage. Maybe Combat Casting, but I'd probably just work on having a decent Con and Concentration modifier.

I'd go for good con and good wis primarily, followed by decent dex and strength. Charisma and Int might end up being neglected, so I'd probably make the race human for some extra skill points, plus the bonus feat could come in handy.