PDA

View Full Version : Statting out Redwall

Admiral Squish
2008-01-02, 11:11 PM
Okay, I'm about to embark on a massive project: statting out the redwall races, complete with fluff. Yes, I know there's an anthro template out there, but I don't have it, so I have to make this from scratch. ANyway, I'm asking for advice from those who've read the books for stats, racial abilites, links to relevant data, anything you can. Truly, this is a titanic undertaking, and any assistance would be nice. thanks in advance!

Squidmaster
2008-01-02, 11:44 PM
You should probaly make rats and squirrels medium sized and base other animal types around that, Like mice small, and Badgers large (or possibly bigger).

One possible problem is that most of the main charecters in the books are commoners with sticks, so the players would probaly have to not acttualy be from Redwall
Another problem is the lack of magic, or at least DnD style magic(Fireball and lightning bolt)

It sounds like a great idea and I cant wait to see more:smallsmile:

Nebo_
2008-01-03, 12:02 AM
First, you have to establish the size of a medium creature. Otters, Hares and possibly Rats would fall into that category. Mice would be small, badgers large. The Anthropomorphic template just wouldn't do the animals any justice; you'd end up with too much racial HD and level adjustment to have playable races.

Ninja'd

Squidmaster
2008-01-03, 12:28 AM
Also, for the lizards, you could just use lizardfolk, possibly with a few changes. Also, you would need to make new stats for all the non-main charecter animals. (Foxes, Lynxs, big snakes, and I think crocadiles in one book.)

Falconer
2008-01-03, 12:59 AM
This probably isn't the most useful comment at the moment, but I think foxes would definitely get a bonus to intelligence. Most definitely.

With the size categories, I agree with the other posters: Badgers are probably large. Rats, weasels, otters, etc. are medium, with mice, shrews, hedgehogs, and moles being small

osyluth
2008-01-03, 01:13 AM
This should definitely be in the homebrew section.

But this is also definitely an awesome idea! I don't really have any particular ideas for it right now, though.

Fhaolan
2008-01-03, 03:15 AM
Yeah, you'll need to reset what 'medium' means. D&D doesn't really scale down (or up) very well, so start from there.

Chronicled
2008-01-03, 03:25 AM
No helpful ideas at the moment, unfortunately. I just want to mention that this is an awesome idea and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

MammonAzrael
2008-01-03, 03:48 AM
First, I agree with pretty much everyone else in that this is both an awesome idea, and that you'll have to redefine "medium." As far as I can remember, humans are barely ever mentioned. One of the first things is listing what creatures are available.

Mice
Rats
Hedgehogs
Moles
Foxes
Badgers
Cats(bobcats? wildcats?)
Ferrets
Weasels
Snakes(probably not fit for PC race)
Sparrows
Otters
Shrews
Etc?

Stat adjustments shouldn't bee too hard, the real challenge will be grabbing individual special abilities for each race. Good Luck!

Admiral Squish
2008-01-03, 07:09 PM
I statted out the bare-bones heroes. Check it out, tell me what you think!

Draz74
2008-01-03, 11:55 PM
I wish I had time to (re-read the books and) really help out with such a project. But I'm going to give you the most advice I can in the least amount of time:

Previous Extensive Thread on this Very Topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11753.html)

Balkash
2008-01-04, 12:07 AM
I wish I had time to (re-read the books and) really help out with such a project. But I'm going to give you the most advice I can in the least amount of time:

Previous Extensive Thread on this Very Topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11753.html)

Amazing link. Thats a really good start right there. I can't think of much else, but I've read all the books, and I own most, so I can help you if you need. Just PM me

Chronicled
2008-01-04, 01:44 AM
Mentioned in that thread, but a bit difficult to spot, is a link to this (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-522221) helpful thread.

Good luck!