PDA

View Full Version : Gust of wind + locomotion

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-03, 01:59 AM
So, I'm sure we've all seen/taken part in the conversations about gust of wind powering sailing ships. Catgirls have been killed by throwing physics into the mix with the reasoning that an object emitting the wind would push itself back with as much force as it was pushing forward. A little excerpt from a WotC book, "The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook", mentions setting permanent gust of wind spells in place as a way to move a flying castle.

A permanent gust of wind can also provide motive power to a flying stronghold with sails. Such a stronghold moves at two miles per hour in the direction set by the position of the sails.

So. Thoughts? Opinions?

herrhauptmann
2008-01-03, 02:29 AM
I'm cool with that method of gust of wind providing movement.
After all, you're already spending so much on not just a castle, but a freaking FLYING castle. So it doesn't seem as ridiculous as a 1 masted schooner being powered by the ship mage's ring of wind. (I'm looking at you Salvatore)

KIDS
2008-01-03, 07:16 AM
LOL, that requires some suspension of disbelief but is incredibly awesome at core. I am fairly certain that it would need more supporting spells, like Permamencied Tenser's Floating Disks, but it's still a great idea!

Talic
2008-01-03, 07:29 AM
What that does is set a precedent for Gust of wind. There is no "equal and opposite" for the spell. Casting a gust of wind while levitating won't move you. Casting it into the tablecloth you've made look like a parachute will.